The Amazing Things Rafa Wants To Give Newcastle Fans

Rafa has given his part two of the exclusive interview with the Chronicle  today and he has talked about the reaction on Tyneside and around the world for that matter to him agreeing to stay at Newcastle – even though we were relegated.

The fans packed St. James’ Park on that final day of the season against Spurs – even though we were relegated – and took it as one last chance to persuade Rafa to stay on as manager at Newcastle United.

And it worked and amazingly Rafa is now the manager of the club for at least the next three years.

fans please with Rafa Benitez

Two placards begging Rafa Benitez to stay

Rafa has said it was an emotional time for him seeing all the support and love for him from the Geordie fans.

The Chronicle also did their part in grand style with the petition that ended up getting close to 30,000 signatures – unbelievable.

Question:

What have you made of the reaction of fans since you committed to stay following relegation? Did the enormous support for The Chronicle’s petition surprise you?

Rafa Benitez answer:

“I knew about the Geordie fans before I came here, everyone in football knows about their passion and their support.”

“But it was incredible to experience it and to feel the love they have for the club and the welcome and support they gave me and the team.”

“They did not have an easy season but they are always supporting.”  “It was very emotional for me.”

“The fans make a very big difference – to me, to the team on the pitch, to the whole city.” “They have been amazing, really amazing.”

“The fans are very special, they are what Newcastle United is about, they make the club what it is.”

“I want to give them joy and excitement and pride in their club, a reason to celebrate and to smile.”

We cannot do any better than that last line from Rafa – that’s exactly and precisely what Newcastle fans want.

Well said Rafa Benitez.

• MadisonToon

Jun 10, 2016 at 4:59 PM

REPOST:

MadisonToon // Jun 10, 2016 at 4:46 PM

I don’t know if this has been brought up before, but I just saw Kolo Toure was released by Liverpool. Any thoughts on bringing him in for the season to teach Mbemba/Lascelles the ropes while also getting some time across the season?

Seems an experienced mind that’s on the right track (unlike Colo) could be enormously beneficial. Now he might not want to come, but the thought crossed my mind and I wonder what other people think about it?

• G

Jun 10, 2016 at 5:00 PM

Why did Arsene Wenger want Rafa to stay? Seems odd (left placard holder btw)

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 10, 2016 at 5:01 PM

He’s one of the best things to have ever happened to us, I’d say even more so than SBR because when the great Sir Bobby came we were only two years into a slump, Rafa has come and lifted the place after suffering almost nine years of mind numbing misery.

• davetoon

Jun 10, 2016 at 5:03 PM

Hope the first game is a home game. So important to get 3 pts on the board, get momentum and get rid of the nerves.

• G

Jun 10, 2016 at 5:05 PM

I would almost agree with that logic JfA, but SBR is just that little bit special in my opinion. Rafa may exceed that, but he hasnt done it yet mate.

• G

Jun 10, 2016 at 5:07 PM

@4, there was an alledgedly leaked fixture list online which had us down for Wigan away for the opener, looked made up to me so I didnt bother sharing.

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 10, 2016 at 5:15 PM

G,
    Like me SBR was born in Durham, was an Electrician and lived in Barcelona and Eindhoven. He holds a very special place in my heart too.

• davetoon

Jun 10, 2016 at 5:15 PM

Hope its wrong. Not that Wigan are a great team but need a good win to start as the only time we will be in the press this season is if things go off the rails

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 10, 2016 at 5:16 PM

When do the fixtures come out

• G

Jun 10, 2016 at 5:22 PM

Not sure, the list I saw was on Google+, but usually when the FA do the fixtures its pretty well publicised, hence me believing it was pony. I suspect we may start 2ith a tricky away fixture, but thats just because we tend to. Least we wont be facing the champions away this year, somewhat impossible. Not bothered home or away, think we perform better under pressure anyway when it comes to season openers.

• clinath@ed

Jun 10, 2016 at 5:45 PM

The start of the season is important in the championship, if killed us last season in the prem – we never recovered from the pressure.
    But is more important is to finish well, from February on, the team with with momentum usually gets promotion out of this league.

• clinath@ed

Jun 10, 2016 at 5:48 PM

Must spellcheck before submitting……

• Munster Mag

Jun 10, 2016 at 5:53 PM

Jail how can you compare bobby to rafa?? Bobby did great things for us. Rafa tried hard and has aura but we won about 3 games ( one a dead rubber) and he didnt save our prem skins. Bobby is alegend on tyneside. Rafa isnt.

• Bobbybee

Jun 10, 2016 at 5:56 PM

I believe fixtures are released on the 22nd of June at 9am. In fact, i’m sure they do. 😉

• Bobbybee

Jun 10, 2016 at 5:58 PM

Sure they are. Shocking grammer. 🙂

• Bobbybee

Jun 10, 2016 at 5:59 PM

I must improve my grammer. 100 times.

• Tsunki

Jun 10, 2016 at 5:59 PM

I thought SBR came from Houghton – or did he just grow up there?

Ed, I’m sure you can embed music on your site. When you put up a Rafa article may I suggest “Je t’aime” plays as it loads up? Would set the mood.

• Tsunki

Jun 10, 2016 at 6:00 PM

Kelsey Grammer?

• Tsunki

Jun 10, 2016 at 6:01 PM

Start with the spelling Bobby.

• cyprus

Jun 10, 2016 at 6:01 PM

Talking of fixtures who to win this thing. Going for Belgium that hazard looks again on fire.

• Bobbybee

Jun 10, 2016 at 6:01 PM

Just beating the nick pickers to it. 😉

• Bobbybee

Jun 10, 2016 at 6:04 PM

Ha ha, aye, just spotted that myself. Just might go back to school and start again tsunki. Total fail.

• Bobbybee

Jun 10, 2016 at 6:08 PM

Cyprus, can’t see past France myself. Home advantage and a good squad. Hope I’m wrong because I’d love England to do it, but this crazy idea that Rooney MUST play might not help. I heard today he starts ahead of Vardy. Either he’s a striker or a midfielder, but juggling the side to fit him in will be our undoing I suspect.

• Oldgit1

Jun 10, 2016 at 6:10 PM

I think it’s wrong to compare managers. SBR was from Esh Winning btw.
    Me and my brother who is even older than me have a Wembley final on our bucket list , with Rafa I believe we can achieve our wish, just have to stay alive for a couple of more years lol.

• Bobbybee

Jun 10, 2016 at 6:13 PM

Oldgit, mine is a winning trip to Wembley too. First fail was 74 and nothing’s changed since. Enjoyed them all, but winning would cap it. 😉

• BandB

Jun 10, 2016 at 6:14 PM

But the information was correct bobby.
    You answered the question that was asked.
    Which is all that really matters.

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 10, 2016 at 6:14 PM

Sorry Munster I forgot he set us up too defensively against the mackems meaning his 12 major honours and double UEFA manager of the year count for nothing.
    I disagree about him not being a legend on Tyneside aswell.

• hadthetshirt

Jun 10, 2016 at 6:18 PM

• BandB

Jun 10, 2016 at 6:18 PM

I’m pretty sure Sir Bobby’s family was from Zeggerzon (Sacriston) …..a right reiver hole up 🙂
    Then he moved to Langley Park.

• clinath@ed

Jun 10, 2016 at 6:27 PM

Bobbybee, something you said earlier about getting as good a player AS Sossoko to replace him? IMO he doesn’t have to be as good as him, just be a bigger influence on the team (and their results).
    I get a bit worked up over the cult of the individual, especially in team sports. The grafters and “water carriers” get forgotten about but the “superstars” would be nothing without their effort.

• Bobbybee

Jun 10, 2016 at 6:29 PM

BandB, yes, it was, but you can get picked up on here for the most amazing things! 😉 😉

• BandB

Jun 10, 2016 at 6:30 PM

And dropped off again in record time bobby….

• Bobbybee

Jun 10, 2016 at 6:30 PM

Clin, it was in reply to somebody who said we could get someone better than Sissoko, that was all marra.

• BandB

Jun 10, 2016 at 6:31 PM

Sorry

I was only suggesting you have a knack with the ambilance I sadly lack.

• clinath@ed

Jun 10, 2016 at 6:32 PM

Not having a go Bobby, just developing the thread…..in my usual clumsy way.

• Bobbybee

Jun 10, 2016 at 6:35 PM

Apology accepted. No hard feelings. 😉

• BandB

Jun 10, 2016 at 6:36 PM

I wasn’t apologising.
    You misunderstood.
    But no hard feelings.

• Back Door Man

Jun 10, 2016 at 6:37 PM

Well, what a week it’s been!

In a comedic masterstroke the Fatman admitted using “classic 21st century management techniques, lifted and adapted from the 19th century mill owners playbook” (I posted this phrase here some time ago, so I’m plagerising myself) and then threw himself on the mercy of that gang of bent shysters in Westminster. The sight of our very own Inky the octopus attempting to squim his way to escaping censure here was a masterclass in feigned contrition, wrapped in donkey jacket of bumbling porkies, pitched into a disorientating fog of confusion.  What a clever boy our owner is!

Next up before the shysters we have a gaggle of the Fatman’s peers.  Hands in the till and murder most foul threatened and we wonder why our retail empires and our football clubs are being driven to the wall.

Continuing the theme of bad or corrupt practices in large organisations look no further than ‘the housewifes favourite chemist’ – Boots (a £60bn multinational) who’ve just cashiered their top man.  Caught editing/altering letters from supposedly independent chemists making them supportive of Boots NHS rip-off scheme.  The independents were infact part of the ‘wider Boots family’.  Big business – nowt but criminal organisations.  Crooks, the lot of them.

Then we have the outrageous news that our players have to use training facilities that would shame inner city sink schools and that foreign recruits are just cast adrift like dossers without social and language support.  I’m not sure we should be surprised by these revelations bearing in mind the calibre of the types running the show … see the first two paragaphs.  At least Manuel has been waterboarding Charmless during the week and getting all his demands met.

Some here said they weren’t interested in the shenanigans at that Parliamentary Committee because it had nowt to do with football.  I disagree.  We’ve glimpsed, probably for the first time for many of us, what the Fatman and his ilk are really like;  conmen, shills, spivs, shysters, and it’s folks like this who run our sport locally, nationally and internationally. But should any of this matter to us when all most of us want is to watch a decent match, see the Toon try to win and give a good kicking to the mackems and slapping to the smoggies.

Oh, and next week we’ve got, according to some, the biggest villain of them all up before the corrupt politicos.  I wonder if Sir Philip Green has owt to do with football?

• Bobbybee

Jun 10, 2016 at 6:38 PM

Clin, couldn’t agree more matey, a team full of superstars is very well, but a TEAM can make the difference. Look at Leicester! Basically a team of journeymen that won the league at a canter. 😉

• Back Door Man

Jun 10, 2016 at 6:38 PM

Oh, and hasn’t everbody been on their best behaviour and polite to each other for the last couple of days?

1 2 3 5