The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

The Amazing Things Rafa Wants To Give Newcastle Fans

4:56 pm, Friday, June 10th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 174 Comments

Rafa has given his part two of the exclusive interview with the Chronicle  today and he has talked about the reaction on Tyneside and around the world for that matter to him agreeing to stay at Newcastle – even though we were relegated.

The fans packed St. James’ Park on that final day of the season against Spurs – even though we were relegated – and took it as one last chance to persuade Rafa to stay on as manager at Newcastle United.

And it worked and amazingly Rafa is now the manager of the club for at least the next three years.

fans please with Rafa Benitez

Two placards begging Rafa Benitez to stay

Rafa has said it was an emotional time for him seeing all the support and love for him from the Geordie fans.

The Chronicle also did their part in grand style with the petition that ended up getting close to 30,000 signatures – unbelievable.

Question:

What have you made of the reaction of fans since you committed to stay following relegation? Did the enormous support for The Chronicle’s petition surprise you?

Rafa Benitez answer:

“I knew about the Geordie fans before I came here, everyone in football knows about their passion and their support.”

“But it was incredible to experience it and to feel the love they have for the club and the welcome and support they gave me and the team.”

“They did not have an easy season but they are always supporting.”  “It was very emotional for me.”

“The fans make a very big difference – to me, to the team on the pitch, to the whole city.” “They have been amazing, really amazing.”

“The fans are very special, they are what Newcastle United is about, they make the club what it is.”

“I want to give them joy and excitement and pride in their club, a reason to celebrate and to smile.”

We cannot do any better than that last line from Rafa – that’s exactly and precisely what Newcastle fans want.

Well said Rafa Benitez.

Tags: Coaching · Fans · Management · Newcastle Fans · Newcastle News · Other News

174 responses so far ↓

• 1 MadisonToon // Jun 10, 2016 at 4:59 PM

REPOST:

MadisonToon // Jun 10, 2016 at 4:46 PM

I don’t know if this has been brought up before, but I just saw Kolo Toure was released by Liverpool. Any thoughts on bringing him in for the season to teach Mbemba/Lascelles the ropes while also getting some time across the season?

Seems an experienced mind that’s on the right track (unlike Colo) could be enormously beneficial. Now he might not want to come, but the thought crossed my mind and I wonder what other people think about it?

• 2 G // Jun 10, 2016 at 5:00 PM

Why did Arsene Wenger want Rafa to stay? Seems odd (left placard holder btw)

• 3 Jail for Ashley // Jun 10, 2016 at 5:01 PM

He’s one of the best things to have ever happened to us, I’d say even more so than SBR because when the great Sir Bobby came we were only two years into a slump, Rafa has come and lifted the place after suffering almost nine years of mind numbing misery.

• 4 davetoon // Jun 10, 2016 at 5:03 PM

Hope the first game is a home game. So important to get 3 pts on the board, get momentum and get rid of the nerves.

• 5 G // Jun 10, 2016 at 5:05 PM

I would almost agree with that logic JfA, but SBR is just that little bit special in my opinion. Rafa may exceed that, but he hasnt done it yet mate.

• 6 G // Jun 10, 2016 at 5:07 PM

@4, there was an alledgedly leaked fixture list online which had us down for Wigan away for the opener, looked made up to me so I didnt bother sharing.

• 7 Jail for Ashley // Jun 10, 2016 at 5:15 PM

G,
    Like me SBR was born in Durham, was an Electrician and lived in Barcelona and Eindhoven. He holds a very special place in my heart too.

• 8 davetoon // Jun 10, 2016 at 5:15 PM

Hope its wrong. Not that Wigan are a great team but need a good win to start as the only time we will be in the press this season is if things go off the rails

• 9 Jail for Ashley // Jun 10, 2016 at 5:16 PM

When do the fixtures come out

• 10 G // Jun 10, 2016 at 5:22 PM

Not sure, the list I saw was on Google+, but usually when the FA do the fixtures its pretty well publicised, hence me believing it was pony. I suspect we may start 2ith a tricky away fixture, but thats just because we tend to. Least we wont be facing the champions away this year, somewhat impossible. Not bothered home or away, think we perform better under pressure anyway when it comes to season openers.

• 11 clinath@ed // Jun 10, 2016 at 5:45 PM

The start of the season is important in the championship, if killed us last season in the prem – we never recovered from the pressure.
    But is more important is to finish well, from February on, the team with with momentum usually gets promotion out of this league.

• 12 clinath@ed // Jun 10, 2016 at 5:48 PM

Must spellcheck before submitting……

• 13 Munster Mag // Jun 10, 2016 at 5:53 PM

Jail how can you compare bobby to rafa?? Bobby did great things for us. Rafa tried hard and has aura but we won about 3 games ( one a dead rubber) and he didnt save our prem skins. Bobby is alegend on tyneside. Rafa isnt.

• 14 Bobbybee // Jun 10, 2016 at 5:56 PM

I believe fixtures are released on the 22nd of June at 9am. In fact, i’m sure they do. 😉

• 15 Bobbybee // Jun 10, 2016 at 5:58 PM

Sure they are. Shocking grammer. 🙂

• 16 Bobbybee // Jun 10, 2016 at 5:59 PM

I must improve my grammer. 100 times.

• 17 Tsunki // Jun 10, 2016 at 5:59 PM

I thought SBR came from Houghton – or did he just grow up there?

Ed, I’m sure you can embed music on your site. When you put up a Rafa article may I suggest “Je t’aime” plays as it loads up? Would set the mood.

• 18 Tsunki // Jun 10, 2016 at 6:00 PM

Kelsey Grammer?

• 19 Tsunki // Jun 10, 2016 at 6:01 PM

Start with the spelling Bobby.

• 20 cyprus // Jun 10, 2016 at 6:01 PM

Talking of fixtures who to win this thing. Going for Belgium that hazard looks again on fire.

• 21 Bobbybee // Jun 10, 2016 at 6:01 PM

Just beating the nick pickers to it. 😉

• 22 Bobbybee // Jun 10, 2016 at 6:04 PM

Ha ha, aye, just spotted that myself. Just might go back to school and start again tsunki. Total fail.

• 23 Bobbybee // Jun 10, 2016 at 6:08 PM

Cyprus, can’t see past France myself. Home advantage and a good squad. Hope I’m wrong because I’d love England to do it, but this crazy idea that Rooney MUST play might not help. I heard today he starts ahead of Vardy. Either he’s a striker or a midfielder, but juggling the side to fit him in will be our undoing I suspect.

• 24 Oldgit1 // Jun 10, 2016 at 6:10 PM

I think it’s wrong to compare managers. SBR was from Esh Winning btw.
    Me and my brother who is even older than me have a Wembley final on our bucket list , with Rafa I believe we can achieve our wish, just have to stay alive for a couple of more years lol.

• 25 Bobbybee // Jun 10, 2016 at 6:13 PM

Oldgit, mine is a winning trip to Wembley too. First fail was 74 and nothing’s changed since. Enjoyed them all, but winning would cap it. 😉

• 26 BandB // Jun 10, 2016 at 6:14 PM

But the information was correct bobby.
    You answered the question that was asked.
    Which is all that really matters.

• 27 Jail for Ashley // Jun 10, 2016 at 6:14 PM

Sorry Munster I forgot he set us up too defensively against the mackems meaning his 12 major honours and double UEFA manager of the year count for nothing.
    I disagree about him not being a legend on Tyneside aswell.

• 28 hadthetshirt // Jun 10, 2016 at 6:18 PM

https://www.docdroid.net/yUt3IuL/championship-fixture-list-2016-17.pdf.html This is the one floating around

• 29 BandB // Jun 10, 2016 at 6:18 PM

I’m pretty sure Sir Bobby’s family was from Zeggerzon (Sacriston) …..a right reiver hole up 🙂
    Then he moved to Langley Park.

• 30 clinath@ed // Jun 10, 2016 at 6:27 PM

Bobbybee, something you said earlier about getting as good a player AS Sossoko to replace him? IMO he doesn’t have to be as good as him, just be a bigger influence on the team (and their results).
    I get a bit worked up over the cult of the individual, especially in team sports. The grafters and “water carriers” get forgotten about but the “superstars” would be nothing without their effort.

• 31 Bobbybee // Jun 10, 2016 at 6:29 PM

BandB, yes, it was, but you can get picked up on here for the most amazing things! 😉 😉

• 32 BandB // Jun 10, 2016 at 6:30 PM

And dropped off again in record time bobby….

• 33 Bobbybee // Jun 10, 2016 at 6:30 PM

Clin, it was in reply to somebody who said we could get someone better than Sissoko, that was all marra.

• 34 BandB // Jun 10, 2016 at 6:31 PM

Sorry

I was only suggesting you have a knack with the ambilance I sadly lack.

• 35 clinath@ed // Jun 10, 2016 at 6:32 PM

Not having a go Bobby, just developing the thread…..in my usual clumsy way.

• 36 Bobbybee // Jun 10, 2016 at 6:35 PM

Apology accepted. No hard feelings. 😉

• 37 BandB // Jun 10, 2016 at 6:36 PM

I wasn’t apologising.
    You misunderstood.
    But no hard feelings.

• 38 Back Door Man // Jun 10, 2016 at 6:37 PM

Well, what a week it’s been!

In a comedic masterstroke the Fatman admitted using “classic 21st century management techniques, lifted and adapted from the 19th century mill owners playbook” (I posted this phrase here some time ago, so I’m plagerising myself) and then threw himself on the mercy of that gang of bent shysters in Westminster. The sight of our very own Inky the octopus attempting to squim his way to escaping censure here was a masterclass in feigned contrition, wrapped in donkey jacket of bumbling porkies, pitched into a disorientating fog of confusion.  What a clever boy our owner is!

Next up before the shysters we have a gaggle of the Fatman’s peers.  Hands in the till and murder most foul threatened and we wonder why our retail empires and our football clubs are being driven to the wall.

Continuing the theme of bad or corrupt practices in large organisations look no further than ‘the housewifes favourite chemist’ – Boots (a £60bn multinational) who’ve just cashiered their top man.  Caught editing/altering letters from supposedly independent chemists making them supportive of Boots NHS rip-off scheme.  The independents were infact part of the ‘wider Boots family’.  Big business – nowt but criminal organisations.  Crooks, the lot of them.

Then we have the outrageous news that our players have to use training facilities that would shame inner city sink schools and that foreign recruits are just cast adrift like dossers without social and language support.  I’m not sure we should be surprised by these revelations bearing in mind the calibre of the types running the show … see the first two paragaphs.  At least Manuel has been waterboarding Charmless during the week and getting all his demands met.

Some here said they weren’t interested in the shenanigans at that Parliamentary Committee because it had nowt to do with football.  I disagree.  We’ve glimpsed, probably for the first time for many of us, what the Fatman and his ilk are really like;  conmen, shills, spivs, shysters, and it’s folks like this who run our sport locally, nationally and internationally. But should any of this matter to us when all most of us want is to watch a decent match, see the Toon try to win and give a good kicking to the mackems and slapping to the smoggies.

Oh, and next week we’ve got, according to some, the biggest villain of them all up before the corrupt politicos.  I wonder if Sir Philip Green has owt to do with football?

• 39 Bobbybee // Jun 10, 2016 at 6:38 PM

Clin, couldn’t agree more matey, a team full of superstars is very well, but a TEAM can make the difference. Look at Leicester! Basically a team of journeymen that won the league at a canter. 😉

• 40 Back Door Man // Jun 10, 2016 at 6:38 PM

Oh, and hasn’t everbody been on their best behaviour and polite to each other for the last couple of days?

• 41 Oldgit1 // Jun 10, 2016 at 6:39 PM

BandB you could be right, I think his last home was Esh Winning as his widow still lives there, I know this as he used to drink at a pub called the cross keys and met him there a couple of times. A true gentleman but liked his drink.

• 42 Bobbybee // Jun 10, 2016 at 6:40 PM

BandB, you threw me with the word sorry. My mistake.

• 43 BandB // Jun 10, 2016 at 6:43 PM

Oldgit

I once had the pleasure of a whole hour of his company in a room all to ourselves.
    We had some shared memories and links, though a generation apart.
    He talked about his life from childhood and not a great deal about football. As you might expect from me.
    But it was a revealing chat anyway.

• 44 clinath@ed // Jun 10, 2016 at 6:43 PM

BDM….except yesterday, when nobody turned up 😉

• 45 Jail for Ashley // Jun 10, 2016 at 6:44 PM

Sir Bobby was born in Sacriston according to Wiki

• 46 clinath@ed // Jun 10, 2016 at 6:46 PM

Bobby, you know my opinion on ‘superstars’ hence my rant on Ronaldo a week or so back.

• 47 Bobbybee // Jun 10, 2016 at 6:51 PM

Clin, which is why ronaldo will never be better than messi. Messi’s a team player, whereas Ronaldo is all about Ronaldo and nothing else.

• 48 Jail for Ashley // Jun 10, 2016 at 6:54 PM

He must have been better than him a few times to get his Ballon d’Or’s.

• 49 Bobbybee // Jun 10, 2016 at 6:56 PM

Jail, all a matter of opinion. Imo football is a team game and not just about one person.

• 50 clinath@ed // Jun 10, 2016 at 6:57 PM

Berahinio(?) of WBA transfer talk starting to surface, again. No one has mentioned us yet though. Mind you, it was on SSN, and football doesn’t exist outside the prem for them.

• 51 Bobbybee // Jun 10, 2016 at 7:03 PM

Clin, forget him mate, he won’t play in the Championship either. If WBA get relegated you won’t see him for dust. 😉

• 52 clinath@ed // Jun 10, 2016 at 7:03 PM

Jail, that award has been hijacked by UEFA as a political tool for years now.
    How come The likes of Manuel NEUER or Philipp LAHM have never won it, have they even made the short list.
    Like I said earlier, it’s the cult of the superstar, and the grafters never get a look in

• 53 clinath@ed // Jun 10, 2016 at 7:05 PM

Bobby, don’t worry, don’t want him. Just found it funny his name has popped up, and the window isn’t even open yet. Desperate to get away methinks.

• 54 Mister Tuff // Jun 10, 2016 at 7:06 PM

French team – no start for Sissoko:-
    France: Hugo Lloris, Bacary Sagna, Adil Rami, Laurent Koscielny, Patrice Evra, Blaise Matuidi, N’Golo Kante, Paul Pogba, Antoine Griezmann, Olivier Giroud, Dimitri Payet.

Kante -(Leicester) and Payet start.

• 55 BandB // Jun 10, 2016 at 7:06 PM

The grafters not getting prizes.
    When do they ever?

• 56 Bobbybee // Jun 10, 2016 at 7:12 PM

BandB, so, just out of curiosity, when you said the other day you were going to apologise, it was just bs then? Fair enough. As an excuse for your bizarre attack, you also said that i was dissing other posters, before saying, ‘ambulance here, have to go’. You need to check that, because i was discussing football with carl, nothing more. Anyway, so as not to carry this on, i’m away to watch the Euro’s. Have a nice day. 😉

• 57 Oldgit1 // Jun 10, 2016 at 7:12 PM

A@ Back door man, can’t believe I’m writing that. The reason there is no argumentsis the club with Rafa in charge is now communicating with us mere mortals and giving us football matters to discuss. This is what the blog is all about,

I stayed off writing on this blog because of the abuse and only write when people gang up on people. Hope this is put to bed as I previously stated I love this blog, good info, very informant, and some very funny moments, do miss welshies jokes, no only joking. Bless him.

• 58 BandB // Jun 10, 2016 at 7:13 PM

bobby

With all due respect.

Belt up about your ailments, will you?

• 59 BandB // Jun 10, 2016 at 7:14 PM

There’s always some aggresive fcker on here waiving his shroud.

• 60 clinath@ed // Jun 10, 2016 at 7:15 PM

BandB…your right, they never get the recognition they deserve. Sad really.

• 61 BandB // Jun 10, 2016 at 7:15 PM

There’ll be people worse than you who never mention it.

• 62 Oldgit1 // Jun 10, 2016 at 7:19 PM

Ooooops spoke to soon. Wish people would get a life, can’t we get through one flicking thread without agro.

Flicking kids. How to kill a blog.

• 63 Belfast // Jun 10, 2016 at 7:19 PM

See Slaven Billic’s hair? That’s what happens when the barber has a power cuts.

• 64 dok - the horrid colonial // Jun 10, 2016 at 7:21 PM

Neuer is my sons favorite player, keepers stick together and all that… but there are other players deserving of mentions than just messi and Ronaldo…

• 65 clinath@ed // Jun 10, 2016 at 7:23 PM

Belfast….low ceiling fans in France mate.
    Dok……agreed.

• 66 Mister Tuff // Jun 10, 2016 at 7:27 PM

See pundit Christian Karembeu cannot understand why the dwarf did not pick Benny after the tremendous season Benny had.

• 67 davetoon // Jun 10, 2016 at 7:29 PM

Kante is a great story. the lad has come a long way

• 68 Paully // Jun 10, 2016 at 7:29 PM

Bobby was born in Sacriston (Segga) but grew up in Langley Park (Langley St.)
    His house Is about 50 foot away

• 69 Belfast // Jun 10, 2016 at 7:43 PM

Hold fire on hair gate. I hear it’s a hair transplant.

• 70 clinath@ed // Jun 10, 2016 at 7:44 PM

Belfast….what? Is he the donor?

• 71 ShirebrookToon // Jun 10, 2016 at 7:49 PM

What a beautiful opening ceremony this is

• 72 manxpie // Jun 10, 2016 at 7:49 PM

this opening ceremony is amazing!!! not a hairy armpit in sight unbelievable

• 73 Back Door Man // Jun 10, 2016 at 7:50 PM

Oldgit1 …. I’m scratching my bonce as to what “A@ Back door man, can’t believe I’m writing that.” means.

Does it mean top of the class and 10 out of 10 for BDM?

or

Naughty boy BDM and report to the Headmaster for six of the best.

• 74 ShirebrookToon // Jun 10, 2016 at 7:51 PM

Well spotted Manx lol

• 75 jazzyp // Jun 10, 2016 at 7:59 PM

3-0 to the frenchies

• 76 Yo-yo // Jun 10, 2016 at 8:01 PM

bobby @56
    Hang on there…talking football with carl ?
    …..long silence……
    only kiddin’..

• 77 ShirebrookToon // Jun 10, 2016 at 8:03 PM

2-1 to France

• 78 jazzyp // Jun 10, 2016 at 8:06 PM

What a chance

• 79 dok - the horrid colonial // Jun 10, 2016 at 8:06 PM

Cmon you Romanian drakuls!

• 80 ShirebrookToon // Jun 10, 2016 at 8:06 PM

Ooooooooooo so close

• 81 Bobbybee // Jun 10, 2016 at 8:12 PM

Yo yo, 😉 i genuinely was! Just nobody bothered to read it, they just jumped in and made a fool of themselves. No mention of ‘ailments’, just being polite and explaining why i had to shoot. I was talking to carl and he got it fine. Lesh was only jesting about hospital turnover times, but others had to make an issue of it. I only came back on to say i thought the ceremony was naff! Horses for courses as they say. The can can in France? Who’d have thought it! 😉 Good start to the game though.

• 82 Bobbybee // Jun 10, 2016 at 8:16 PM

What a cracking game. A sign of things to come i hope. Could be one each already.

• 83 BandB // Jun 10, 2016 at 8:17 PM

bobby bee

I have a young child.

We won’t be nicking Martoon’s seat or going to any games anytime soon.

You are a crass bustard with your backache.

• 84 davetoon // Jun 10, 2016 at 8:18 PM

Should be 2-1 to France already

• 85 ShirebrookToon // Jun 10, 2016 at 8:20 PM

How the hell did Carr not spot Kante on one of his many scouting trips to France

• 86 clinath@ed // Jun 10, 2016 at 8:24 PM

Pogba. Confident or Overconfident?

• 87 ShirebrookToon // Jun 10, 2016 at 8:26 PM

Bit of both clin mate. The haircut says it all

• 88 Bobbybee // Jun 10, 2016 at 8:26 PM

Why should i care? You keep mentioning my back, not me you loon. I had a hospital appt ffs, i mentioned nothing. Look, just stfu eh? Nobody wants to hear it except you. For the sake of peace i’m out of here, despite enjoying the football craic with everybody else. Maybe you need to talk about your schizophrenia with somebody, do us all a favour. Later chaps.

• 89 welshgeordie9 // Jun 10, 2016 at 8:36 PM

They call me and Jib a wum, but haven’t got the balls or the tits to say anything to BandB.

Unbelievable.

On a another note though, good match so far in the opening game.

• 90 welshgeordie9 // Jun 10, 2016 at 8:37 PM

Oldgit

Happy to bring back the jokes if it makes you happy.

Ha ha ha

• 91 welshgeordie9 // Jun 10, 2016 at 8:38 PM

Another chance for France, how the hell is this still 0-0.

• 92 clinath@ed // Jun 10, 2016 at 8:40 PM

Refs not giving much. Wonder if it’ll continue for a month…..na!

• 93 clinath@ed // Jun 10, 2016 at 8:50 PM

That was quite entertaining for an opening.

• 94 Bobbybee // Jun 10, 2016 at 8:53 PM

Sod that, i want to talk football. 😉 Every opening game of any tournament I can remember, has been very cautious and generally dull. Am i remembering that right? This is everything but. Absolutely cracking game. Three more games tomorrow. I can live with this! 😉 Can Rafa not swap Sissoko with Pogba? Sissoko rates himself that highly after all. 😉

• 95 Oldgit1 // Jun 10, 2016 at 8:55 PM

Welshgeordie9 it was good times, your jokes lightened the mood of the blog.

I have noticed a trend on this site, if you tell better jokes and show more football knowledge you will get attacked by inferior bloggers. Hence I tend to stay off lol

• 96 ShirebrookToon // Jun 10, 2016 at 8:56 PM

Kante has been class in the 1st half

• 97 clinath@ed // Jun 10, 2016 at 8:56 PM

In fairness Sissoko would stand out in that French side…….but for all the wrong reasons. Some great passes and movement, do you think football has lost the art of defending though?

• 98 clinath@ed // Jun 10, 2016 at 8:57 PM

Shirebrook….agree.

• 99 welshgeordie9 // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:01 PM

Oldgit

You don’t have to stay away, you have a right to say whatever you want, don’t let anyone bully you, me and some of the others get it all time, personally i couldn’t give a rats arse if they don’t like my opinion, we can all say want we like football wise.

• 100 Oldgit1 // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:01 PM

@ Back door man. We use to have a man that delivered parcels and always came round to the back door. We lived on the twelve floor of a high storey block of flats

• 101 ShirebrookToon // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:02 PM

Pogba and Sissoko are miles apart in terms of ability

• 102 welshgeordie9 // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:03 PM

If sissoko wants a big move away, then he better get off his arse and play well, that’s if he gets picked of course.

• 103 jane // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:04 PM

not been a lot of chances. France haven’t dominated.

• 104 Bobbybee // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:04 PM

If this is a taste of things to come, we’re in for a belting few weeks. 😉 I love the start of these tournaments, with more than one game a day on tv. Seriously, this is heaven. I can never have enough football and what better way of spending time before the start of what is building up to be a cracking season. U19’s after this as well. Second half.

• 105 ShirebrookToon // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:07 PM

Pogba is trying to hard!

• 106 Bobbybee // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:07 PM

Shirebrook, the. 😉 says it all matey. Just my little dig at Sissoko. Oooh! So close again! 😉

• 107 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:09 PM

Should be an entertaining tournament all the bigger teams are good going forward but no one has a good defence

Must say tonight Kante tonight has looked superb still cant believe Carr was not all over getting him last season instead of spunking 14 million on Thauvin!!

• 108 ShirebrookToon // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:10 PM

Romania looking lively another great chance for them

• 109 ShirebrookToon // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:12 PM

LCBP I said the same thing earlier about Kante. How on earth did carr manage to miss a player as good as him

• 110 Bobbybee // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:14 PM

Lee, heartbreaking innit? Still, spilt milk and all that. That way lies torture and anger. 😉

• 111 Jib // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:15 PM

Shit
    I must have pressd the Jane button by mistake !

• 112 jane // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:15 PM

yep still works

• 113 ShirebrookToon // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:17 PM

Finally!!

• 114 Bobbybee // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:17 PM

Not your average opener is it. That’s been coming. Who’s booing now?

• 115 welshgeordie9 // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:17 PM

1-0 France

Finally a goal.

• 116 Jib // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:18 PM

Jammy Giroud

• 117 clinath@ed // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:18 PM

Technically a foul imo….but the keeper was a whimp

• 118 welshgeordie9 // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:19 PM

Bobby

Not a bad opener mate, at least there’s been a goal now.

• 119 Bobbybee // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:20 PM

Clin, keeper should have took the lot – ball, giroud and anyone else close! Instead he took none! 😉

• 120 clinath@ed // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:21 PM

Yep, like I said….a whimp 😉

• 121 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:24 PM

France are a worry at the back a better team will score from a few set pieces if they don’t shape up!!!

Sissoko warming up normally I would be cheering a toon player but fudge him !!

Penalty !!!

• 122 clinath@ed // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:24 PM

Sloppy Evra

• 123 ShirebrookToon // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:24 PM

Patrice Evra what a tw@

• 124 clinath@ed // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:25 PM

Just got really interesting.

• 125 ShirebrookToon // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:25 PM

France will struggle defensively against better opposition. No offence to Romania like!

• 126 Jib // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:26 PM

Well done Magscar
    AC accuses me of posting a joke that’s been on facebook for days by stealing it from a Mackem site.
    His first post for weeks
    What a fabulous contributor
    But just a minute
    He first saw it on a Sunlun site !
    Could this man he’s actual- – – – nah – impossible !

• 127 Bobbybee // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:26 PM

Cool penalty. Much better welshie, but to be fair, it was already good.

Jib, what happened there? 😉

• 128 clinath@ed // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:27 PM

Agree again mate

• 129 clinath@ed // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:28 PM

I’d seen that on FB last week, thought the comment was a bit harsh

• 130 Bobbybee // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:29 PM

Not impossible – biological. Anyone remember which washing powder that was? 😉

• 131 ShirebrookToon // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:30 PM

Ariel

• 132 Bobbybee // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:32 PM

By George, i think you’ve got it. It wasn’t a quiz, i just couldn’t remember, but that sounds right to me. 😉

• 133 clinath@ed // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:32 PM

Shake n vac?

• 134 ShirebrookToon // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:35 PM

Bobby, that’s my squaddie intelligence coming through there lol

• 135 ShirebrookToon // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:36 PM

Don’t know if it’s the right answer though haha

• 136 Bobbybee // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:39 PM

Mmmm, shake n vac washing powder? You lass gives you a far too easy life marra! 😉

• 137 Jib // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:39 PM

Bobby
    Just a bit of snidey back biting by one of the Borg.
    You can follow it by scrolling back to this afternoons posts

• 138 BandB // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:39 PM

Eee,

A bunch of hardcore lads are left five minutes to talk football and they start talking about soapsuds 🙂

• 139 ShirebrookToon // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:40 PM

Do the shake n vac and put the freshness back lol

• 140 clinath@ed // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:40 PM

Bobby, should should see what she gets me for tooth paste 😉

• 141 Bobbybee // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:41 PM

I’m almost tempted to google it, but i’d never forgive myself! 😉

• 142 clinath@ed // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:41 PM

BandB…its man code for manly man stuff……honest!

• 143 clinath@ed // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:43 PM

Me too Bobby, but I thought I’d upset Jib or have mr T shout at me…

• 144 Bobbybee // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:43 PM

Jib, seriously, i don’t need to, i can imagine. 😉

• 145 BandB // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:44 PM

Hands that do dishes can feel soft as your face Clinath.

• 146 Bobbybee // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:44 PM

How fast is he?!

• 147 ShirebrookToon // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:46 PM

Mild green fairy liquid

• 148 clinath@ed // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:46 PM

Mild green fairy liquid. Ok that’s enough….even I’m embarrassed now mate.

• 149 clinath@ed // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:47 PM

Shire may have saved my blushes

• 150 ShirebrookToon // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:48 PM

Clin I think we will share the blushes on that one mate lol 🙂

• 151 clinath@ed // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:48 PM

Get in

• 152 BandB // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:48 PM

Goal boys
    Goaaaal!

• 153 Ron Knee // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:48 PM

Wow!

• 154 ShirebrookToon // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:49 PM

Payet! Take a bow son!!

• 155 Readingmag // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:50 PM

Mitros on fire, your defence is terrified..eating greggs and drinking Cider

• 156 Bobbybee // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:51 PM

Sneaky horrible adverts. Oh, what a goal! Stunner. Adverts, yeah, stay with you for life. Brainwashing, not washing up. 😉

• 157 martoon // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:52 PM

Jail/Bobby thanks for answering my question about ST’s earlier but I think you slightly misunderstood. I am on the 10 year DD scheme so my ticket renews automatically unless I cancel it so sorry BandB you’re not getting my seat 🙂
    My question was about the 10% reduction that Lee Charnley announced – he said we would be informed how this would be implemented but I have heard nothing and I was asking if anybody else has heard about the 10% reduction?

• 158 Bobbybee // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:52 PM

Reading. 😉

• 159 ShirebrookToon // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:53 PM

Sissoko has done well since coming on. Two fouls conceded and a missed shot

• 160 JAMSHA // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:54 PM

hw much is payet worth now? 50-60 mil?

• 161 Bobbybee // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:54 PM

Martoon, right. Your reduction will come out of your direct debit then. Your letter must have got lost somewhere. It is real though. 😉

• 162 Readingmag // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:54 PM

Wigan away 1st game…..its great tune…go I get 7 ..or eve n 8

open to all

• 163 clinath@ed // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:56 PM

Ah well lads, it’s been…..educational. Chat tomorrow for the big games…brush up on me deodorant knowledge just in case.

• 164 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:56 PM

That pass at the end from Sissoko made me laugh so loud!! He is so bad at passing it’s unreal. The only reason he is in that team is because he’s athletic and can drive up the pitch. He’s not going to be more than a sub for them.

• 165 Bobbybee // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:58 PM

Reading, those fixtures are fake mate. The real ones come out on 22 june at 9 am. We might still get wigan though, because when we came down in 78/79 our first game was millwall away. They’d just come up, like wigan this time. 😉

• 166 Readingmag // Jun 10, 2016 at 9:59 PM

Mitros on fire, your defence is terrified..eating kebabs and drinking Cider

• 167 Bobbybee // Jun 10, 2016 at 10:01 PM

Later clin. Got to depart myself and free up some space on the skyplus whatsit. Getting earache over it. 😉 good craic. Later.

• 168 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jun 10, 2016 at 10:02 PM

Look what happens when you take people based on form!!! Payet and Kanté were unreal today.

• 169 Bobbybee // Jun 10, 2016 at 10:03 PM

Eating GRIGGS would be better for wigan! 😉

• 170 Mister Tuff // Jun 10, 2016 at 10:03 PM

Shirebrook – noted that re Sissoko -in about 3-4 mins 2 fouls and a row Z shot.

Overall excellent start to the tournament -good game tonight – will expect France to get better though. Payet was excellent.

• 171 ShirebrookToon // Jun 10, 2016 at 10:07 PM

Kante was another standout performer tonight alongside payet. Imagine if Carr had signed those two instead of Thauvin and Cabella!

• 172 Yo-yo // Jun 10, 2016 at 10:45 PM

JIB

You seriously calling other posters out for being snidey ?

that’s more funny than the wedding joke.

• 173 jane // Jun 10, 2016 at 11:29 PM

you know it’s a very good goal when you are watching by yourself and you can’t help saying something out loud.

• 174 jimmysmith // Jun 11, 2016 at 12:18 AM

Sissoko is playing for France, who are better than England, while Townsend is on holidays after being left behind. Yet to many on here Townsend is a great player and Sissoko shouldn’t even be in the side. Not only does Deschamps disagree, so does Rafa, who gave him the armband and the most influential position on the park. Ahead of Widjnaldum, Shelvey, De Jong and Perez.

We didn’t go down due to Sissoko’s inconsistencies. We went down because our central midfield, central defence, and central attack, weren’t good enough. An under cooked squad was our undoing.

His come and get me plea is a bit undignified, and perhaps deluded. If you aren’t a first pick for your country, you’re likely to struggle to make an impact at Arsenal. But 3 and half years is a big chunk of a career to tread water at an underperforming club. To add another is understandably not that appealing, no matter the manager.

I’m confident that now under Rafa Newcastle has finally learned its lessons and will get more players of Sissoko’s calibre on the pitch at the same time, not too few, and to see the best of them.

previous post: Rafa Talks In Detail About This Summer’s Transfer Window