The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Benitez Would Prefer To Sell This Player This Summer

12:48 pm, Tuesday, June 14th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 36 Comments

Florian Thauvin was a bit of a disaster signing for Newcastle last summer and he lasted just six months on Tyneside before he decided in January he wanted to leave Newcastle on loan for the rest of the season at previous club Marseille.

Florian didn’t much fancy helping Newcastle fight relegation last season.

And it seems Rafa Benitez has already decided on Florian and he doesn’t want him at Newcastle;  Rafa has told his agent to find another club for his client.

Florian+Thauvin+fsljgicSvSQm

Florian Thauvin – wants another loan at Marseille

Newcastle would like to cash in on Thauvin and while Marseille want a loan deal arranged for Thauvin next season, Newcastle have told them they will not supplement his wages of £40K/week – so the French club will have to pay the full wages themselves – or he could end up elsewhere.

However, there’s news today in the Chronicle the Frenchman is willing to take a cut in those wages if it will facilitate his loan to Marseille next season.

Newcastle are prepared to look elsewhere either to send the French winger on loan again or sell him, which is the preferred option and use the transfer fee to bring in other players.

But at the very least they want his wages completely off the Newcastle wage bill for next season.

We had thought at one point that Benitez may want to send the 23 year-old out on loan next season so he could then take a look at him next summer, when hopefully we are back in the Premier League and see if he could use him.

But it seems Rafa has looked at every player in the squad and already decided on them to a large extent – and the Spanish manager is not impressed with Florian Thauvin.

One intriguing aspect we have reported on recently is that Marseille could well be taken over shortly by Iranian investors, who have said they will put massive amounts of money into the club to improve both the squad and the facilities.

If that happens Newcastle may touch lucky and get the owners to buy back Florian for the £13M we paid Marseille for him last August – a very bad deal set up by Chief Scout Graham Carr and Lee Charnley.

It does look like the feeling is mutual with Florian – Newcastle don’t want him and he doesn’t see a future for himself at Newcastle.

Did we say it was a really bad deal for Newcastle?

Tags: Contracts · Financial Fair Play · Financials · Florian Thauvin · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

36 responses so far ↓

• 1 martoon // Jun 14, 2016 at 12:54 PM

I don’t quite get Ed’s logic – just because Marseille is taken over by rich investors doesn’t mean they will overpay for Thauvin – presumably they made their fortune by being shrewd with money?

• 2 Spoof // Jun 14, 2016 at 1:04 PM

I feel sorry for Thauvin, although I doubt that he has what it takes to be good enough for the PL in fairness to him you will never find that out until you give him a chance and Macca never gave him that chance, I could be wrong but I felt at the time that Macca never had any intention of giving him a chance and he was using Florian to show to the club that their transfer strategy was all wrong, as right as Macca was I felt sorry for Thauvin as Maccas methods of getting his point across was just plain idiosy, I hope he gets recalled for pre-season and that we do finally give him a chance, he probably knew very early in his time here that he had no chance with Macca but if he gets different vibes from Benitez then you just never know !

• 3 NUFCPaul // Jun 14, 2016 at 1:04 PM

Why are people confused about the transfer window on here? I’m seeing people saying stuff like ‘Why are clubs discussing transfer fees when the window doesn’t open until July 1st?’ and similar comments. Clubs CAN still discuss transfer fees, agent fees and potential player wages before the window opens and have everything in place for the window officially opening, they just can’t register the player as their own before July 1st. Why is that so hard to understand?

• 4 cyprus // Jun 14, 2016 at 1:06 PM

I guess we have to accept that our best players will want out… rebuild required anyway. We must get rid of the Deadwood as well.

Ed, the challenge not to write Rafa or benitez in an article remains. Come on man it’s doable. You can even get around it if you must mention him. E.g. ‘our great manager’ etc.

• 5 cyprus // Jun 14, 2016 at 1:09 PM

Paul can you run that by me again?

Just messing I think I get it ?

• 6 Veltmann // Jun 14, 2016 at 1:09 PM

NUFCPaul – I didn’t confused 🙂

On subject of players,I would go for veterans like Roscisky, Kolo Toure, Skertle, Arbeloa etc for a season or two and sign new fresh legs for PL when we get promoted.

• 7 Spoof // Jun 14, 2016 at 1:11 PM

Paul

people aren’t sure about it, so what, there is no harm !

• 8 NUFCPaul // Jun 14, 2016 at 1:12 PM

I seem to recall Thauvin not exactly setting the French League alight before we signed him, so why we paid such a ridiculous sum for him to play in a superior league is beyond me. Hopefully those days are over with Rafa in charge. I know his signings will also be hit and miss, just like every other manager’s signings, but we’ll have more hits than misses compared to the past few seasons with Charnley and Carr.

• 9 Spoof // Jun 14, 2016 at 1:19 PM

How will Rafa respond to the pressure which he is now under, don’t forget that he has complete control something which rarely happens in football, he didn’t even have that at Liverpool as he was at times over ruled, he is in a virtually unique position which has got to bring about added pressure, he is venturing into the unknown, not even Alex Ferguson had the control which Rafa has, unlike virtually all managers he has know where to hide, it could be a great opportunity which sets the stall out for other clubs in the future if he succeeds or he could have bitten off more than he can chew, I really hope he sets the stall for others to follow, but time will tell.

• 10 Jail for Ashley // Jun 14, 2016 at 1:19 PM

Spoof,
    You like Sissoko, Churnley and now Thauvin. Did you think Harold Shipman was a nice family practitioner who got a few prescriptions mixed up?

• 11 carl // Jun 14, 2016 at 1:19 PM

Spoof
    We’re still in the charm offensive, honeymoon phase but harmony prevails.

Is this because you are on the blog full time ? Maybe only when I read.!

• 12 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jun 14, 2016 at 1:21 PM

Veltman
    I would defy go for Rosicky – still looked a good player yesterday and has been released by Arsenal on a free

• 13 carl // Jun 14, 2016 at 1:23 PM

Spoof

• 14 croftus5678 // Jun 14, 2016 at 1:28 PM

judgement from us fans as it has been for a fair few players over the years has been far too harsh !

thauvins not done anything wrong and he’s shown a lot of promise with great movement a hunger to get into the box and shown he can be a very very good crosser and all in the very short time he’s been at the club knowing he’s still young and trying to adapt to the faster no time pace of the prem.

the cup game he played for us showed what he can do esp at a lower league and that was under the manager we had at the time.

i still say bring the lad back and give him a proper go instead of jumping on his back after a few mins of sub appearances.

• 15 Spoof // Jun 14, 2016 at 1:29 PM

Jail

Great doctor lol

That’s a bit unfair, yes I like Sissoko, I won’t deny that, I don’t like the way he is touting for a move but as a player I do like him, Charnley is what he is but he has brought us Rafa and as a result for the first time in an age virtually every Newcastle fan is talking football and looking forward to the coming seasons with hope for the seasons which are to follow, credit where it’s due seems fair to me, as for Thauvin I didn’t say that I like him, all I said is that I felt sorry for him as I believed that he was used as a pawn by Macca to prove a point and that I hope that he gets a pre-season to show what he can do, if you look again at what I said you will see that I did say that I doubt that he has what it takes, but players should be given a chance.

• 16 NUFCPaul // Jun 14, 2016 at 1:31 PM

Here’s an example of a club ‘signing’ a player before July 1st. That should clear up the confusion for some.

• 17 carl // Jun 14, 2016 at 1:32 PM

I feel the best comparison of Rafa’s role would be with Arsene Wenger. At the start of his reign he undertook a root and branch review of the whole football club. He was also a great advocate of youth development and budgetted outgoing expenditure on player signings to the new ground development expenditure at the Emirates. It’s very much his club.

• 18 Spoof // Jun 14, 2016 at 1:33 PM

carl

sorry mate, but what on earth are you on about, totally lost me bonny lad !!!!!!!

• 19 Spoof // Jun 14, 2016 at 1:34 PM

carl

I was referring to post 11 and not 17

• 20 martoon // Jun 14, 2016 at 1:37 PM

NUFCPaul @3 – Because if you did this at any other time of the year you would be charged with ‘tapping up’ but it seems to be allowed at this period before the window opens.

• 21 Spoof // Jun 14, 2016 at 1:39 PM

as for post 17, yes I would say that is a fair comparison, I just hope that Rafa is prepared to spend a bigger proportion of what is available and be prepared to slightly alter his tactics/formations if and when we appear to be treading water, Wenger has been superb for Arsenal but his stubbornness has let him down a bit.

• 22 NUFCPaul // Jun 14, 2016 at 1:40 PM

Spoof – of course there’s no harm, I just don’t get how people in a football forum don’t know how the system works. Is it really that complicated? It’s like someone not knowing the offside rule.

• 23 carl // Jun 14, 2016 at 1:45 PM

Don’t worry. Your advice yesterday was wisely given and received. I see subsequently that it’s personally practiced by you. It’s normally don’t do what I do but what I say- LOL.

Given Rafa’s all embracing role it could well be that he feels some players need time to perform to his requirement and he will choose to delay departures for the present. Also enabling a higher selling price to be in prospect.

• 24 Rotonda heights // Jun 14, 2016 at 1:45 PM

martoon

you could apply that logic to ashley, but millions wasted on thauvin, cabella, riviere etc give the lie to that theory

• 25 Veltmann // Jun 14, 2016 at 1:50 PM

Someone is heading way away from himself today,ha ha, wouldn’t get bothered.

Yes Charlie, I’d definitely take him too.Worth considering..

• 26 Spoof // Jun 14, 2016 at 1:50 PM

Paul

different people have different abilities, some are naturally better than others at different things, some are naturally athletic, some have natural mathmatical brains, some have great eye sight, some don’t, if someone has a slightly less ability than your own of any issue, subject , topic etc then so be it, that’s how it is, but if they aren’t at your level at whatever subject is at hand that doesn’t mean that you should belittle them and vice versa, someone may be better than yourself at whatever it may be, but again they should not belittle you, it’s all about decency and respect.

• 27 carl // Jun 14, 2016 at 1:53 PM

Yohan Cabaye signed for Us from Lille on June 10th 2011.

• 28 Spoof // Jun 14, 2016 at 1:54 PM

carl

I see what you mean, hopefully post 26 backs that up !

in all honesty you couldn’t have timed it better lol

your timing was so good I will allow you to buy me a pint lol

• 29 JAMSHA // Jun 14, 2016 at 2:01 PM

i dnt feel sory for thuvin, he’s overrated. on the other side he doesnt even wana prove to rafa he is good enough.

• 30 NUFCPaul // Jun 14, 2016 at 2:04 PM

martoon – I think a club approaching a player or agent without the permission of the player’s parent club is always seen as tapping up, no matter when it happens. But when clubs make official bids via the correct channels, it’s totally acceptable. It’s all about keeping things above board.

• 31 Blackley and Brownlie // Jun 14, 2016 at 2:21 PM

NUFCPaul
    Don’t worry. There’s ample room for anyone to express surprise at lack of blog knowledge on a particular issue and to set out their own understanding for the benefit of the blog. Of course, the more surprise expressed, the more pressure that one’s own understanding stands up. Nobody on here likes to see a fellow blogger set himself up for an embarrassing fall.

• 32 WWSBRD // Jun 14, 2016 at 2:24 PM

Not sure how much of this is coming from the club or the agents, personally I’d keep him and let Rafa have a crack at bringing out the quality he has we won’t make our money back either way so might as well give him a shot. Townsend and Thauvin either wing would do well in the championship imo

• 33 JAMSHA // Jun 14, 2016 at 2:44 PM

WWSBRD

He’s Ovrated, He wont Even Fit Any Top Clubs, More Like A Football League 1 Player

• 34 Shadow_Shearer // Jun 14, 2016 at 2:59 PM

I couldn’t see Thauvin fitting into a benitez team. He only attacks, & he’s not the best. Look at townsend, much better attacker, & always runs back to help out the rest of team.

• 35 Jib // Jun 14, 2016 at 9:46 PM

norrænni goðafræði

• 36 Jib // Jun 14, 2016 at 9:48 PM

Þessi niðurstaða verður að slá inn norrænni goðafræði

previous post: Benitez Lays Down The Law With Wantaway Players