The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Here’s A Hint That Moussa Sissoko May Not Be Good Enough

9:00 am, Sunday, June 19th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 38 Comments

Former Newcastle left-back Olivier Bernard thinks that Moussa Sissoko isn’t quite ready to move to a Champions League club, which seems to have been Sissoko’s obsession ever since he moved to Newcastle from Toulouse in January of 2013.

Olivier doubts that a top club would come in for him and if they did Moussa would at best be a squad player at the club – which is not what the 39 times French International.

moussa sissoko in france colors

Moussa Sissoko wants move the Champions League club
So what’s new?

Not only does Moussa want to play for a Champions League team but he also wants to stay in the Premier League.

This is some of what Bernard said about that in the Chronicle:

“Unfortunately, Sissoko was just not good enough in my opinion to think about going to a top-four team,”

“Possibly he could be a squad player at the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea or Liverpool, but he isn’t going to start every week; is that something he’d really want?”

“I still think Sissoko is a good player, but I don’t think he has had the sort of season from which he could claim that he deserves a move to a Champions League team.”

“He’s had a decent season with Newcastle, but he did not perform anywhere near the level we know he is a capable of.”

“Personally, I believe staying at St James’ Park would be the best option for Sissoko right now.”

“I don’t think he will get a Champions League move this year, so it’s best for him to concentrate on improving his consistency at Newcastle.”

“If you look at what the club are building, I think Sissoko could really thrive under Rafa Benitez and the Frenchman can be the very heartbeat of that side.”

“Benitez gave Sissoko extra responsibilities towards the end of last season and that really helped to get something close to the best out of the midfielder.”

“Clearly, Benitez knows how to manage and motivate Sissoko.”

Sometimes footballers seem to live in a fantasy world and cannot see what’s happening when it’s right in front of their noses.

Rafa made Moussa a better player in those final few games of the season and if only he would stay at Newcastle and allow Rafa to do his thing – it’s not beyond the realm of possibility that Newcastle could become a Champions League club in a couple of years time.

That’s certainly what Rafa Benitez wants.

But Moussa doesn’t see that and if he does move to a bigger club he could end up like his two French team mates before him – Yohan Cabaye and Mathieu Debuchy – who ended up warming the bench at PSG and Arsenal respectively.

Sissoko may get a chance to prove he is good enough tonight when France take on Switzerland, having already qualified for the knock-out rounds with two wins;  Moussa could even start the game.

Tags: Coaching · Contracts · Euro 2016 · Management · Moussa Sissoko · Newcastle News

38 responses so far ↓

• 1 Veltmann // Jun 19, 2016 at 9:08 AM

Olivier Bernard , one of former toon player who talks sense,..

• 2 Munster Mag // Jun 19, 2016 at 9:18 AM

Not so sure about that veltmann. He told us remi garde would be a good managerial choice!

• 3 firebug666 // Jun 19, 2016 at 9:22 AM

Munster

Remi Garde may have done ok with Newcastle marra, at Villa he got nothing, no money to spend, no new players to sort out a team that had already failed.

Villa were bottom of the league all season, I think even Rafa would have struggled to get a win out of that squad.

• 4 Veltmann // Jun 19, 2016 at 9:25 AM

Munster – at the time,we all rated Garde highly & thought he can do well based on his stint at Lyon.
    Bernard is no different from others thinking he can do well if he comes to the PL.

• 5 one fine day // Jun 19, 2016 at 9:30 AM

On previous,
    I would only take the west name kid on loan ( if there is actually anything in this story)if it a guaranteed buy option at the end of the season if he does well.
    Otherwise he is coached by Rafa we pay his wages and he returns to his parent club or is sold for a better fee .
    Have things really changed for the better ?

• 6 Munster Mag // Jun 19, 2016 at 9:35 AM

I dont agree. Garde’s successor had a bigger impact at lyon. Villa may be crap but they hardly improved under his coaching. Put it another way, if rafa left tomorrow and garde was installed as favourite, how happy would u be? I like olly, just saying like…

• 7 one fine day // Jun 19, 2016 at 9:36 AM

West ham / west name / west life ? Oh please yer selves … No one around anyway

• 8 Munster Mag // Jun 19, 2016 at 9:37 AM

I wish we would sign some players. At least rafa has had time with the players so they will be used to his systems etc

• 9 toon kk // Jun 19, 2016 at 9:42 AM

On Sissoko, I think he’s forgetting he was in one of the worst teams in the premier league and ended up getting relegated. For most of last season he wasn’t premier league standard never mind in a champions league squad. Good luck to him if he does get a move to a top four side, but he’ll be warming the bench for long periods of time.

• 10 Veltmann // Jun 19, 2016 at 10:08 AM

Munster – still early days but something tells me we gonna have a poor window.Don’t think Rafa will sign any player until he solve the situation of Wijnaldum, Sissoko etc.If any player is to come,we’d have been linked with him everyday of the week.He should understand though that he has to replace some players with new ones,
    whether they want to stay or not.

• 11 Rotonda heights // Jun 19, 2016 at 10:10 AM

munster

to be fair villa’s squad was the worst i’ve ever seen in the pl. doubt anyone could have done much. they were already down.

• 12 Rotonda heights // Jun 19, 2016 at 10:11 AM

veltman

the window isn’t even open for a couple of weeks.

• 13 Rotonda heights // Jun 19, 2016 at 10:15 AM

one fine day

no way would it be a guaranteed to buy option sadly. only chance of that would be if we get back up and the kid falls in love with the place, but w.h.u have very high hopes for him and just want him coached by someone like rafa for a season, rather than half wits like mccarvew.

• 14 BandB // Jun 19, 2016 at 10:19 AM

betty

“Tendentious females” have had a short sharp reminder of how “gobby” females can be treated, and there’s enough of evidence of repressed angry misogyny and not so repressed angry misogyny among you lot for me to withdraw “gracefully”…..and pretty sharpish.

• 15 carl // Jun 19, 2016 at 10:21 AM

Rotonda
    What you conveniently seem to be missing yet again is that his predecessor was constantly highly recommended by you. Betty and others have frequently pointed this out.
    Stop the subterfuge and please don’t comment on any forthcoming signings or contemplate doing any football scouting.

• 16 carl // Jun 19, 2016 at 10:28 AM

I am still trying to work out who the bald poster and former Fanzine person is !

• 17 carl // Jun 19, 2016 at 10:30 AM

This used to be a football blog until the likes of Bobby b were driven away.

• 18 carl // Jun 19, 2016 at 10:33 AM

We need quality and whether on loan or signings are fine with me.

• 19 one fine day // Jun 19, 2016 at 10:34 AM

Rotunda,
    Then it would be a def no thanks
    Prefer to look ya proven players to get us up not prospects who if we coach and they turn out to be the real thing then west ham take them back (win win ) to their uk funded council house /stadium .
    Just another example of how far we have fallen behind under this regime .

• 20 carl // Jun 19, 2016 at 10:46 AM

West Ham, Slaven Bilic have no doubt of his ability. It’s simply a case of them having a highly talented squad. James Tomkins would walk into our championship side. Circumstances change but at this time they can’t offer what we can. Our defence needs to be strengthened. Luke Shaw was spoken of in the same terms at his age.

• 21 Veltmann // Jun 19, 2016 at 10:51 AM

Rotonda – I think we already talked about how transfer window works couple of days ago.Even though it’ll officially open on July 1 and the player officially join his new club on July 1,clubs can negotiate,make deals and pre-arrange the initial move.It’s just the documents that will not get received and approved by UEFA until July 1.

• 22 Yo-yo // Jun 19, 2016 at 10:52 AM

BandB

Gobby females are as welcome on here as gobby males – and there are plenty of the latter, some genuine Sid the Sexists, some closet racists and some ‘know nowt footy fans’ . The quality of discussion on here does depend heavily on who is on, so you’re right there.
    But please do not conflate the Jo Cox assassination by a fascist group with misogyny, that is just not right at all.

• 23 carl // Jun 19, 2016 at 10:53 AM

Not the when does the transfer window open debate again. Is it on a loop?

• 24 carl // Jun 19, 2016 at 10:56 AM

That’s the death knell for me- a know nowt.

• 25 jimmysmith // Jun 19, 2016 at 10:56 AM

Why wouldn’t ya try to get a contract at a Champions league club, what’s the worst that can happen? He returns to Newcastle Utd as Rafa Benitez’ Captain.

• 26 carl // Jun 19, 2016 at 11:05 AM

Jimmy Smith
    I was just going. A football blogs dream contributor., well for me. You look beyond a tabloid type blogger. I agree nothing is being lost by Rafa’s current stance and what’s wrong with ambition on the part of Sissoko. We don’t want unhappy players but it’s early in the transfer cycle window. Sissoko would provide a lot if his head is right and I am happy for this to be played out under Rafa’s control.

• 27 Mister Tuff // Jun 19, 2016 at 11:14 AM

yawn.

• 28 BandB // Jun 19, 2016 at 11:15 AM

Yo-Yo

The internet is a malarial swamp and breeding ground for angry men hiding behind keyboards who seem to have a serious problems with women expressing their views.
    Hounding of women online in the basest terms is a particularly ugly recent development.
    How very dare we have an opinion.

• 29 Tsunki // Jun 19, 2016 at 11:22 AM

Somebody call?

🙂

• 30 mindshaft // Jun 19, 2016 at 11:25 AM

Sissoko wants to stay in prem league as no other league would pay his wages – can’t see any of the top 6 taking up his offer though

• 31 jimmysmith // Jun 19, 2016 at 11:26 AM

Yeah, I take the opposite view to most. I think our better players have been shined on by the club. I don’t blame them at all for testing the waters, we are relegated, and Rafa will do well to hold on to them. Ashley’s lucky though, Benitez is a top manager and Newcastle still a magnificent club, so everything can still be worked out. No rush.

• 32 Tsunki // Jun 19, 2016 at 11:31 AM

Little “c” – oh dear carl, your UA1 Toon trademark keep popping up, you can’t help yourself can you? it’s not the fact you are a multiple, this a given. But you’d think you’d change your approach rather than to start packing your sides in an attempt to have a go at those who have wronged you in previous lives.

Ingratiating yourself with certain posters in a sycophantic attempt to mark a line between the “proper poster” and the “know nowts” is a dead giveaway. Talk of posters being “driven out” by the deadliest enemy of the sensible poster, the debilitating weapon known as the “keyboard” is another. (since when did Bobbybee get driven out? Did I miss that one?”

Fine, call yourself carl, but stop stirring it Ian. There’s a good lad.

• 33 Veltmann // Jun 19, 2016 at 11:31 AM

Tuff – suis je droit sur le explication du transfert fenetre?

• 34 Tsunki // Jun 19, 2016 at 11:35 AM

I think sissoko and Wijnaldum have indeed been promised fairy tales but let’s be honest, whoever advises these lads should have been less concerned about the quick payday than future prospects. If the so-called “better” players wanted a ticket out they simply had to apply themselves professionally to their job, for which the rewards are extremely handsome win or lose.

I don’t blame any player for wanting away for their careers’ sake. I just blame them for going about it in a shoddy and perfunctory way.

• 35 Tsunki // Jun 19, 2016 at 11:36 AM

UA1? Ian.

• 36 Mister Tuff // Jun 19, 2016 at 11:44 AM

Veltmann – only thing I would query, but would stand corrected on, is that registrations go to the FA and not UEFA.
    The rules are UEFA rules but I think only foreign players would have to have their registrations submitted to UEFA. Apart from that yes I agree.

(Your French needs some attention though).

• 37 Bobbybee // Jun 19, 2016 at 11:48 AM

Rumours of my being driven off are slightly exaggerated – i just get bored with the same old same old. I come on to talk football for the craic. I enjoy it. I don’t enjoy childish people looking for a row because they think they own the blog and hate competition. As much as i love chatting football, i can’t be bothered with the rest of it. Playing the sexist card? Really? How do i even know bandb is a woman? Does ot matter? Give it out, get it back. Boo hoo. Boring.

• 38 carl // Jun 19, 2016 at 12:07 PM

Tsunki
    You are not in either my thoughtful column or the embittered nutter column. You need to take a representative snapshot of the ordinary reader or poster. My view is that I am grateful for responses from those who know more and understand better. Anonymity brings out many contributors unpleasant side. I personally do prefer to praise quality in my responses rather than get engaged in tit- for – tat posts which are rarely worth reading. I confess to turning to certain posters and don’t waste my time on those I view as rarely worth reading. I ‘m painfully aware sometimes of myself producing posts that answers to this description but not for the reasons you mention.

I thought you’d got out of the cycle of multiples and were all together making a more likeable readable contribution once more. You don’t need voluminous content to make your point and your humour and cutting wit can transcend what can be the plain dull and boring reading of so many. It’s an opinion. To paraphrase, your contribution doesn’t need a , “back by popular demand”.
    Until the next time.