Rafa Turns Down Loan Deal For Promising Youngster

Newcastle United have turned down an approach for 18 year-old Sean Longstaff from Scottish Premier League side Dundee United, who wanted to take the Newcastle-born box to box midfielder on a season long loan north of the border.

Sean has been on Newcastle’s books for ten years and is well thought of at the club.

He played well last season when he was used more as a defensive central midfielder than on the attacking side.

Newcastle United Academy v Bolton Wanderers Academy- Barclays Under 18 Premier League Division Two

Sean Longstaff – box to box midfielder

Longstaff played really well in the Hong Kong Football Club Citi Soccer Sevens tournament recently and it seems that Benitez may want to keep him on Tyneside next season and use him as part of the first team squad.

At the very least, Benitez wants to take a look at the player in pre-season before deciding whether he will send him out on loan or not, but if he does go out on loan there will be no shortage of takers.

This is the piece on Sean on the Newcastle web-site:

“A box-to-box midfielder who bases him game on Steven Gerrard and also admires Wayne Rooney, Sean made his under-18s bow last season while still at school.”

“The former John Spence Community School pupil lives in North Shields and played for North Shields Juniors. He joined Newcastle, his boyhood club, at the age of eight.”

“As well as football, Sean also enjoys cricket.”

One of the many areas of the club Rafa wants to improve is the Youth Academy, so the club can start to bring some top young players like Longstaff through the ranks.

Sounds good to us.

• Ron Knee

Jun 19, 2016 at 12:10 PM

From the Beeb:

Of the 20 top-flight clubs, only five have an English manager, and Dyke said Hodgson’s successor may be foreign.

“You will want someone who has managed in England and understands English football,” he said. “That doesn’t mean they have to be English.”

• carl

Jun 19, 2016 at 12:13 PM

Tsunki
    You are not in either my thoughtful column or the embittered nutter column. You need to take a representative snapshot of the ordinary reader or poster. My view is that I am grateful for responses from those who know more and understand better. Anonymity brings out many contributors unpleasant side. I personally do prefer to praise quality in my responses rather than get engaged in tit- for – tat posts which are rarely worth reading. I confess to turning to certain posters and don’t waste my time on those I view as rarely worth reading. I ‘m painfully aware sometimes of myself producing posts that answers to this description but not for the reasons you mention.

I thought you’d got out of the cycle of multiples and were all together making a more likeable readable contribution once more. You don’t need voluminous content to make your point and your humour and cutting wit can transcend what can be the plain dull and boring reading of so many. It’s an opinion. To paraphrase, your contribution doesn’t need a , “back by popular demand”.
    Until the next time.

Bobby b
    Sorry to have missed you. Nobody can denounce your passion for NUFC. Let’s hope Adam A’s injury has been overstated.

• Mister Tuff

Jun 19, 2016 at 12:14 PM

Bobby Bee – no mischief making from me – clearly you have not been driven from the blog – otherwise you would not be posting – seems an innocent observation.

• Bobbybee

Jun 19, 2016 at 12:20 PM

Jimmy, i love gini the footballer. He would smash the Championship wide open and be better the following season. I’d love to keep him because we haven’t seen the best of him yet. My problem is we don’t need players here who aren’t committed. Totally committed. If Rafa can persuade him to stay, then i’d keep him, but only if it’s what gini wants. Keeping players against their will always ends in tears and can be disasterous for the squad.

• Rotonda heights

Jun 19, 2016 at 12:24 PM

carl / ian

I think you neeed to check your meds again. I guess you’re rather tediously on the wind up. Again please find one bit of evidence where it says I was ever pro SM.

I never ever wanted the seriously underwhelming SM. I, like a lot of others thought it could be marginally better than AP and JC, but it wasn’t. I wanted a footballing manager a la De Boer, Pochetinno and yes at the time, before he went to Everton, Martinez.

Carl / Ian when you get lost in thought, do you feel like a stranger there?

• Bobbybee

Jun 19, 2016 at 12:27 PM

Carl, this is Arma’s first proper injury, so he’s done well to get this far. All players get injuries, because physiology tells us that the human body isn’t really designed to play football – hence the number of knee injuries. 😉 To be fair, I haven’t heard exactly how bad it is – just that he’s injured. He’ll recover and be back to his goalscoring best before we know it. 😉

• jimmysmith

Jun 19, 2016 at 12:27 PM

This is a really good chance to also promote from within. These more peripheral squad members aren’t near as significant in the Championship. If we get even one who kicks on it’ll be worth it. Give me an Armstrong, Reece Oxford, Sterry et al over a McCormack any day. We’ve still got Cisse and Mitrovic. Jesus, 90% of Championship clubs would bite your hand off for Gouffran and Rivierre.

• The next Mike Williamson

Jun 19, 2016 at 12:31 PM

I prefer the old idea of giving the england job to negative managers who enjoyed their success in Italy in the early 90s. The fa don’t seem to have noticed football has moved on since 1990 or that the english way is the opposite of the Italian way. hope the next guy plays attacking football.

• Bobbybee

Jun 19, 2016 at 12:35 PM

Jimmy, i don’t think the McCormack story has legs. Rafa is looking to improve players because, as he says, getting ready made PL players will be difficult in the Championship. I think he’s looking to promote from within and bring in players he deems as having the potential to go all the way. We’ve already seen that he can improve a squad dramatically by just better coaching. Callum Roberts might get his chance this season, along with Mbabu, Sterry etc.

• jimmysmith

Jun 19, 2016 at 12:41 PM

I’d even bring Sammy Ameobi back in for one last throw of the dice. Very interesting player, and it’s the Championship, not the EPL, we can afford to experiment a little. I’d take Abeid back in the Championship under Benitez. But not Vuckic. Too slow. The recruiting begins in ernest once you are back. You don’t want to commit to a relatively costly player now, that you can’t shift in a year. Where’s the need for that, with the players we already have.

• jimmysmith

Jun 19, 2016 at 12:48 PM

Yeah I agree Bobby, seems very unlikely. It still unnerves me a little though. McCormack isn’t any sort of Jamie Vardy. I’m pretty sure of that.

• Bobbybee

Jun 19, 2016 at 12:52 PM

The price quoted for McCormack is risible. Never been tried in the big league and you have to wonder why. We would be paying 15m for one season, when we have players younger and with better futures. I’d be very surprised if Rafa is even interested. Most of the rumours we’ll hear will carry no substance and with Rafa refusing to even say how much he has to spend for fear of alerting other clubs, I can’t believe he’ll allow his transfer targets to be in the public domain. The first we’re likely to hear will be when Rafa introduces the player to the press, signed sealed and delivered.

• expatmag

Jun 19, 2016 at 12:55 PM

JIMMY

The likes of Ameobi Vukic and Bigi need to moved on. Most of the time, they benchwarmed at he likes of Cardiff Wifan and Cofentry. Hardly a glowing indictment of their abilities.

• Bobbybee

Jun 19, 2016 at 1:02 PM

Jimmy, i think it would too much of a gamble. He might score goals and get us promoted – then again he might not. Either way, if he can’t cut it in the PL he’ll have been found out big style and we’ll be stuck with him. 30 ain’t potential any more, it’s a big gamble. At his age, 5m would be reasonable, but Fulham would rather keep him at that price. We could still use another striker with experience, just one who can carry it into the PL. Finding such players won’t be easy, so as Rafa says, he’s better off improving players with potential. Then again, this is Rafa and he has pulling power, so he might surprise us with who he can attract. Keegan did it after all.

• Tsunki

Jun 19, 2016 at 1:17 PM

“carl” – I find the multiple thing tedious, I’m more concerned with how your latest iteration looks, doings and walks like a duck I. That you like to intersperse your “knowledgeable repartee” with the same mischievous pokes at bloggers being driven off, “know nowts” plaguing the blog, and your singling out bloggers for praise in order to draw distinctive camps of valued poster versus blog nuisance.

I’d be perfectly happy if you stuck to your football appraisals without all the other snide crap that’s all.

• Tsunki

Jun 19, 2016 at 1:18 PM

Hmm. Autocorrect makes even less sense than usual.

‘..looks, sounds and walks like a duck’ that was supposed to be.

• Belfast

Jun 19, 2016 at 1:20 PM

Neither thoughtful or a nutter ? That’s a great endorsement. 🙂

• Belfast

Jun 19, 2016 at 1:23 PM

Yer not very thoughtful and not very nuts.

• Belfast

Jun 19, 2016 at 1:26 PM

Yer basically a more sensible version of Kets.

• Belfast

Jun 19, 2016 at 1:34 PM

Hows tricks anyway ? are you surviving ? 🙂

• carl

Jun 19, 2016 at 1:35 PM

Belfast
    Tsunki wouldn’t be in this state if he had only listened to you. I can understand the benefits of going solo but you kept his feet on the ground. Was it just because you were getting more laughs?

Tsunki
    The nowt comment stemmed from yoyo who was on a journey to find a causal link where one doesn’t exist. As a long time reader you do get a distinct and clear view of what’s afoot. My comment on Bobby was valid. I look for his posts and they were missing post ……..
    I signed up to the Spoof charter and despite provocation have stuck to it. You believe what you like but that’s my version. Just stop sounding like the clapped out repetitive so who are the mischief makers.
    Having said that I guess that if you don’t speak with a forked tongue that Belfast is a blog legend.
    Just lighten up or before you know it you’ll find yourself in the hapless comedy gold club.

• Bobbybee

Jun 19, 2016 at 1:40 PM

A bit of harmless fun. Who do you think our first game will be against? Personally I think we’ll get one of the promoted clubs, so I’m going with Wigan, despite them being the team we were paired with in the dodgy fixture list. Many a true word etc…

• Belfast

Jun 19, 2016 at 1:41 PM

That 15 million could maybe get you 25 goals and promotion though which = 170 million odds. It’s a gamble but it could pay off. I think if you sold someone for 15 million odds and then bought him for 15 million it wouldn’t be that bad a move for us.

Remember last summer people complaining about Andre Grays price tag.

• expatmag

Jun 19, 2016 at 1:43 PM

Bobby

Leeds away

• Bobbybee

Jun 19, 2016 at 1:46 PM

Belfast, my problem is his age. He’ll be 30 if we get promoted first time of asking and that’s too much for a Championship player of that age. If signing him guaranteed promotion it would be a price worth paying, but we can do better with that outlay. Just opinion of course, but i’d be surprised if Rafa has him in mind.

• expatmag

Jun 19, 2016 at 1:46 PM

Dont laugh at this but what about Peter Crouch for a season in the championship?

We could get him on the cheap and would guarantee goals. Has llayed for Benitez before and can still do a job.

• Bobbybee

Jun 19, 2016 at 1:47 PM

Expat, sounds tasty marra! 😉

• Tsunki

Jun 19, 2016 at 1:50 PM

Hang on, wasn’t it Ian Toon who made up that puerile “double act split up” scenario? Have you tripped over your own shoelace there, Ian. Better go back and check.

While we are on appraisals, which I didn’t ask for btw, how would you be evaluated “c”arl? I think I might put you into the clique of self-elevated snobbery which suggests that the blog requires a level of approved football knowledge or fitness as a “proper” supporter before interaction is approved. And you have appointed yourself as one of the adjudicators have you, Ian? Tsk tsk.

• Belfast

Jun 19, 2016 at 1:51 PM

Carl

Skunki was always doomed when we parted ways. It was all my material. I knew once he had too get his own material he would come unstuck.

His blog rating has plummeted and if Ed ever creates a like button it’s brexit or I mean blogzit for skunki.

• Bobbybee

Jun 19, 2016 at 1:53 PM

Belfast, the Andre Gray thing can’t really be compared. Gray offers a lot for the future and is full of potential. Well worth the money imo.

• Tsunki

Jun 19, 2016 at 1:54 PM

On topic anyway… how surprising that the club would develop a box-to-box midfielder by utilising him mainly as a DM in a level of football where the teams are not required to fight to retain league status for any more reason than simply competing. A shock for this to happen at NUFC. Not.

What could the emergency be that requires development to be demoted to expediency?

• Tsunki

Jun 19, 2016 at 1:55 PM

Belfast – when did I have a blog rating? I must have missed that.

• Jib

Jun 19, 2016 at 1:56 PM

Burton on Trent is nice in August

• Belfast

Jun 19, 2016 at 1:57 PM

Aye Grays a better player but people where giving off about the fee for a “championship player” who had never played in the top flight.

• Tsunki

Jun 19, 2016 at 1:58 PM

Ed would never create a like button. If he did the blog would be a visual illustration of the physics of a gravitational singularity, a black hole if you like.

For the layman, the blog would vanish up it’s own a**e.

• Belfast

Jun 19, 2016 at 1:59 PM

You where always a solid 8 Skunki but that was yer ceiling. Ed does the ratings not me. 🙂

• Bobbybee

Jun 19, 2016 at 2:00 PM

Jib, aye, take your fishing tackle and make a full weekend of it. Good fishing in the Trent in August I hear. 😉

• Tsunki

Jun 19, 2016 at 2:01 PM

Oh and Belfast @29 – small “c” or he won’t recognise you. 🙂

• Tsunki

Jun 19, 2016 at 2:01 PM

I hit 8 and wasn’t informed? Hmm.

• Bobbybee

Jun 19, 2016 at 2:03 PM

Belfast, right, get you now. Still think Gray was worth it, because of his great potential whereas McCormack is nearer to the end than the beginning! 😉