The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle’s Assistant Manager Talks Of Historic Club

4:26 pm, Monday, June 20th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 52 Comments

Mikel Antia is the new assistant manager at Newcastle taking over from Italian Fabio Pecchia, who left St. James’ Park to take over at Italian second division club Hellas Verona.

The 43-year-old Spaniard has talked today in northern Spain about his excitement at working alongside Rafa Benitez at what he describes as an historic club in England.

Antia played at Real Madrid’s Academy and at Real Valladolid under Rafa – and he leaves the Aspire Academy in Qatar to join Benitez on Tyneside.

mikel antia

Mikel Antia – Newcastle’s assistant manager

This is what Mikel has said today in the San Sebastien newspaper  El Diario Vasco:

“I have a relationship with him from when I was coming through the ranks as a player at Madrid and Valladolid.”

“That he has remembered me gives me great satisfaction because it gives me the opportunity to work with a great coach at a historic club in England.”

“It’s an adventure and a challenge into which I can take a lot of enthusiasm. Newcastle, under certain circumstances, lost their top-flight status last year.”

“So the goal is clear: to climb back into the Premier League. That’s the clear objective and we must see if we can do it.”

“In July, pre-season starts.”

Rafa retained two of the coaches who worked under Steve McClaren at Newcastle – Ian Cathro (assistant coach) and Simon Smith (goalkeeper coach) – and he brought in two of his long term assistants in Francisco de Miguel Moreno (fitness coach) and Antonio Gomez Perez (assistant coach).

We thought the pre-season training was due to start on 28th June?

Tags: Championship · Coaching · Newcastle News · Premier League

52 responses so far ↓

• 1 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jun 20, 2016 at 4:29 PM

Transfer RumoursHatem Ben ArfaNiceSevilla

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/former-newcastle-playmaker-hatem-ben-arfa-close-three-year-sevilla-deal-160620200287#Eys0pmTRyoeH4gOa.99

• 2 bettyswallocks // Jun 20, 2016 at 4:30 PM

Jib went swimming recently and lost his trunks in the water. He came up arse first and they thought he’d split his head open.

• 3 Jib // Jun 20, 2016 at 4:40 PM

bettyswallocks //
    Jib…….. Your pointing out people’s lack of hair

😎
    Tsunki isn’t people

• 4 Mister Tuff // Jun 20, 2016 at 4:56 PM

Cyprus – previous post – not directed to you – general observation.

• 5 Mister Tuff // Jun 20, 2016 at 4:58 PM

Another quality football post. Might even have been worth the effort if its was funny. Ian Toon/Carl Toonson and his clone gang do not do humour.

carl // Jun 20, 2016 at 3:42 PM

Tuff
    @ 26.

Yee hev the reet te remain silent, but yee don’t hev the ability, dyah ?

• 6 carl // Jun 20, 2016 at 5:25 PM

Despite your representation to Ed you ‘re not “The father of the Blog”. Just give it a rest and stop linking me with all and sundry just because I highlight your stupidity.

Take Spoof’s advice stop name calling.

• 7 Bobbybee // Jun 20, 2016 at 5:33 PM

Carl, if he stopped name calling he would contribute zilch to the blog – it’s all he does. He’s the only one who doesn’t realise how childish he sounds and how boring he is. Rather than accept that so many people are sick to death of it, he decides that it must be just one person under several names. It’s easier for his ego to handle. 😉

• 8 carl // Jun 20, 2016 at 5:40 PM

Bobby
    Well said I can’t be bothered with him.

• 9 Bobbybee // Jun 20, 2016 at 5:53 PM

Carl, the best bet is to ignore them. I come on for football chat, but the usual suspects try to draw me into a row. I’ve got loads of better things to do than argue with morons, so I’ve taken to just logging off and doing something better – like sticking sharp sticks under my fingernails. 😉 If its not me it’s you, or jib, or whoever else they decide is threatening their blog superiority – anyone who doesn’t take their bollox in other words. The rest don’t want to hear it and it spoils the blog, so rather than get involved I now just find something better to do. As you know, it’s nothing new and it will continue until nobody bothers. Best bet is ignore them, or laugh at them. I’d say ‘take the piss’, but if you took the piss out of them there’d be nothing left! 😉

• 10 Average_Contents // Jun 20, 2016 at 5:57 PM

England 2-0 win tonight. Vardy to score first.

Absolutely enthralling football craic going on. Remember that next time you moan about others posting none footy related topics.

What happened to “stick to the football”

Alright for some but not others eh.

Thought so.

Bobbybee
    June 20, 2016
    Carl, if he stopped name calling he would contribute zilch to the blog – it’s all he does. He’s the only one who doesn’t realise how childish he sounds and how boring he is. Rather than accept that so many people are sick to death of it, he decides that it must be just one person under several names. It’s easier for his ego to handle. ?

carl
    June 20, 2016

Take Spoof’s advice stop name calling.

• 11 Average_Contents // Jun 20, 2016 at 6:03 PM

“I come on for football chat” yet your first post on this thread was nothing of the sort.

Can’t have it both ways gobbo. Moaning about football craic then not having football craic but a dig at another poster whilst playing the victim. For a change.

You literally could not make that up.

• 12 Jib // Jun 20, 2016 at 6:06 PM

Local Ultras attacked England fans in St Etienne at lunchtime.
    Strong rumours Rooney is on the bench tonight and Woy is going to play diamond formation.

• 13 Bobbybee // Jun 20, 2016 at 6:20 PM

There ya go carl, point proven, 😉 from the most below average blogger on here. I was talking to carl – hence the word carl at the top. Bit of friendly advice. Do you morons have a bobbybee alert? Sad bunch. And on that point – see ya carl, see ya moron.

• 14 WorJordi // Jun 20, 2016 at 6:20 PM

Hiya
    If Rooney is dropped and Roy finds a winning Formula like the second half against Wales, will he have the bowlocks to keep it or will he bottle and give Wayne a place regardless?
    I reckon he’ll bottle it and that’s when we get knocked out
    Sad really one player can dictate regardless of his form
    Still want us to win though
    Come on England

• 15 bettyswallocks // Jun 20, 2016 at 6:21 PM

Can’t understand why Wales are playing at the same time as us. The Wales match doesn’t appear to be televised. Anyone know?

• 16 Jib // Jun 20, 2016 at 6:28 PM

Wales
    ITV4 Betty

• 17 bettyswallocks // Jun 20, 2016 at 6:29 PM

Cheers Jib.

• 18 Bobbybee // Jun 20, 2016 at 6:30 PM

Betty, just caught that mate. The wales match is on the other channel. If it’s itv, check out itv 4, or bbc, check the other bbc channels. The reason for both games being at the same time is to avoid higgery-pokery. Eg, if England played first and it was tight, the other two might play out a draw, or vice versa. So much corroption nowadays it has to be that way sadly. Both teams start together so nobody has the advantage of knowing what they need to qualify.

• 19 Belfast // Jun 20, 2016 at 6:31 PM

Its basically so no team gains an advantage. Last day of the season scenario.

• 20 Jib // Jun 20, 2016 at 6:31 PM

The reason the final and decisive matches in each group are played at the same time is self evident really.

• 21 bettyswallocks // Jun 20, 2016 at 6:31 PM

Les fermiers francais dans les environs du stade sont bloquantes leurs moutons loin.

• 22 Belfast // Jun 20, 2016 at 6:32 PM

Aye what Bobby said 🙂

• 23 Jib // Jun 20, 2016 at 6:33 PM

maybe betty didn’t realise these were the final group matches.

• 24 bettyswallocks // Jun 20, 2016 at 6:33 PM

Thanks lads for explaining that. I Nevva fowt o thart. Duh. How thick am I.

• 25 bettyswallocks // Jun 20, 2016 at 6:36 PM

Welshie….. I hope the Wales game doesn’t clash with One man and his dog. I know it’s your favourite.

• 26 Jib // Jun 20, 2016 at 6:38 PM

Betty
    you have a worrying sheep/welsh fixation

• 27 bettyswallocks // Jun 20, 2016 at 6:40 PM

Yeah and I’m not shearing. You can get your own.

• 28 Average_Contents // Jun 20, 2016 at 6:42 PM

Irony. Try not to be the very definition of it.

Laters bobs.

• 29 Jib // Jun 20, 2016 at 6:50 PM

Six changes in the England team !

• 30 bettyswallocks // Jun 20, 2016 at 6:51 PM

Jib…… I used to collect tortoises and terrapins but they all escaped and had a big fight amongst themselves. It was a turtle disaster.

• 31 Jib // Jun 20, 2016 at 6:59 PM

Betty
    You do realise that folk in Ashington wouldn’t “get” that joke.
    😀

• 32 bettyswallocks // Jun 20, 2016 at 7:24 PM

Jib……. They might be warking the derg or down the bakery buying bhhredd.

• 33 Jib // Jun 20, 2016 at 7:29 PM

I think Woys selection is in part because he thinks the Skrtel led Slovakia could be quite physical tonight

• 34 Mister Tuff // Jun 20, 2016 at 7:35 PM

As usual if a post is not what some want to accept as an opinion – the abuse starts. Then it is turned around. Cannot believe it.
    It is hated filled people who are killing the blog.

I dared to suggest Armstrong will not be a starter next season – kapow – the digs and insults. Tin hat time.

• 35 Mister Tuff // Jun 20, 2016 at 7:40 PM

Game tonight – they are taking a massive risk with all the changes – barring Sturridge and Vardy – should have started how we finished the last game.

• 36 GeordieTwo // Jun 20, 2016 at 7:41 PM

I find it interesting to think about Armstrong not being a starter Mr. Tuff mate. I think that may well be correct. If we keep Mitrovic and Perez and Townsend I’m not sure I see Armstrong starting either. But I do hope he gets plenty of second half time if someone’s not playing well or we’re well ahead.

• 37 GeordieTwo // Jun 20, 2016 at 7:42 PM

Agree. Six changes is too many. I wonder what their thinking is?

• 38 GeordieTwo // Jun 20, 2016 at 7:54 PM

But do the Welsh know how to tell time? Will they show up when expected for the match? Tense moments until they get underway…..

• 39 Average_Contents // Jun 20, 2016 at 7:55 PM

Wouldn’t of started Henderson because he’s just not good enough.

Could it work with Dier and Wilshire though in the 3. Hope so.

2-0 win.

• 40 GeordieTwo // Jun 20, 2016 at 7:57 PM

I’m just joking. The Welsh team have all been given talking alarm clocks. It just screams “it’s time to play footy you tw@ts!” The Irish find it very effective also….

• 41 Jib // Jun 20, 2016 at 8:21 PM

Russia 0 Wales 2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 42 bettyswallocks // Jun 20, 2016 at 8:32 PM

Thanks Jib….. Was recording that to watch later.

• 43 Jib // Jun 20, 2016 at 8:35 PM

Sorry Betty
    I left me telepathy helmet in the garage.

• 44 bettyswallocks // Jun 20, 2016 at 8:41 PM

What about the Slovakian kid Doo-Dah. There’s a name to get em singing. Campdown Races and all that.

• 45 Jib // Jun 20, 2016 at 8:43 PM

Russia pop 143.5 million vs Wales pop 3 million

• 46 sing in the corner // Jun 20, 2016 at 8:46 PM

Have to say I’ve not been impressed with what I’ve seen from Wilshire and Henderson. Both don’t look on the pace to me.

• 47 Mister Tuff // Jun 20, 2016 at 8:51 PM

Should have kept the same team as finished the last game. Then if we were way ahead – then give the other guys some time.

G2 – careful suggesting Armstrong may not be a starter next season – you’ve now earmarked yourself for abuse – by you know who and his new found cronies.

• 48 Average_Contents // Jun 20, 2016 at 8:52 PM

Hendersons always been the same. The odd good thing like the link up with Clyne but then outweighed by the poor set pieces and crosses. Either too long or too short, no in between which is where you want it.

Wilshire looked good for the first 20 then tried to do too much. Still like him though. Just needs to get his head in the game.

C’mon.

• 49 Yo-yo // Jun 20, 2016 at 8:54 PM

Ramsey playing great, Bale could have had a pen, 2nd goal lucky bounce back but at least Wales are taking their chances.
    Some lovely counterattacking play by Wales, defence holding firm so far.
    Now how are England doing ?

• 50 sing in the corner // Jun 20, 2016 at 8:54 PM

He’s forgot his tabs, that’s what’s the matter with him.

• 51 Yo-yo // Jun 20, 2016 at 9:26 PM

Wales three up, so what’s occurrin’ England. Haven’t you scored yet ?

• 52 Yo-yo // Jun 20, 2016 at 9:49 PM

Hope yer watching Gary, that one was for you !

previous post: More Transfer Funds For Rafa Benitez