The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Moussa Sissoko Gets Personal In Long Le Figaro Interview

8:04 pm, Thursday, June 23rd, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 19 Comments

Moussa Sissoko can come across in interviews as annoying to Newcastle fans, since he always talks about wanting to play for a Champions League club and if he continues to play well for France in the Euro 2016 tournament, then maybe he will get his wish this summer.

But that will take anywhere from £15M to £20M for Rafa Benitez to let him leave Newcastle with Benitez obviously liking what he sees in Sissoko, both as a player and a man.

Sissoko has given an interview with French paper Le Figaro today, and he has come across as being very honest and has revealed quite a lot about himself in the interview.

moussa sissoko a-300x225

Moussa Sissoko – interview with La Figaro

Here’s what Moussa has said in his very long interview with the French newspaper:

“I’ve always been discreet, reserved and respectful. This does not prevent me from speaking out if necessary.”

“Despite my professional status as an international player, I do not feel superior to others. I’m like everyone else except that I have fans. That’s the only difference.”

“I am a home-bird. Go out and go to the city to shop? It’s not my thing. I like being at home, watching movies, playing with my son, seeing friends or family. This is my bubble.”

“My nickname is DIY – this comes from the neighbourhood in Aulnay-sous-Bois –  where we had almost all nicknames.”  “When I was young I used to like to tinker with things, hence the nickname that follows me today.”

“It’s pretty funny that people still call me that. I take it well. It reminds me of our little kid dreams. It’s always nice to see friends and to not forget where you came from. Today, I do a lot less ‘DIY’.”

“I do not have enough time and I prefer to buy already assembled furniture, it’s easier.”

“I am a protective dad but I’m an authoritarian when necessary. This mix is required because life is not easy. I was fortunate to be raised properly.”

“I try to reproduce the same pattern. Today my son is 4 years old and he understands my job. When he sees me in a stadium, on TV or in a pub, he becomes crazy!”

“He is very proud. He boasts sometimes with his friends when he goes to school saying that his dad plays for the France team and Newcastle.”

“When I was young, my mother worked and left me with my grandparents who were passionate about this series. At 14, I had no choice but to watch it because they monopolized the remote.”

“Gradually, I started watching it and I began to love it. The series falls in the perfect time for me to nap time, when I’m home after training.”

“I put myself under the covers and I watch it quietly. At first I took some jokes from the rest of the France team.” “Now they know that I’m really into it. It became something natural for them. “

“The bling side of things is not my thing, it never has been and never will be. Admittedly, I earn my living and thank God for that.”

“It allows me to help my family, my relatives and to enjoy myself and do some of the things I want. I recently bought a Bentley and that is my biggest moment of madness.”

“I did not think about it: I wanted it and I took it. I try to be as simple as possible without overdoing things. I was educated like that. I do not see why I would change and would play a role. I am myself.”

“I have a manic side but I would say my best attribute is my kindness. It is a quality and a fault. I’m too nice. Even with bad people, I try to be nice.”

“It’s not in my nature to be mean to someone. I always try to be smiling, cheerful. I can’t be bad.”

“My mother is the person I most admire. She had a difficult childhood. She has done everything for me to become what I am today. She is my role model, my greatest pride is to make her happy.”

“She was able to bring me all the happiness necessary. The fact that I am here today, it is largely thanks to her. “

“Wickedness is the thing I hate most. This is something I can not stand. It’s very rare that I get angry but I do when people are wicked.”

“But the last time I was p**sed off? I could not even tell you. It goes back a long time. I am a positive person. I always look for the positive even in the bad times.”

So there you have it – what Moussa thinks personally on a number of issues.

We can see why Rafa likes the man – in short the Frenchman seems very professional and a homebody.

If only Moussa could see it – that if he stays at Newcastle Rafa Benitez will make him into a much better footballer than he is today.

But he may still leave Newcastle in the summer – and that will probably turn out to be a mistake for the former Toulouse player in his career.

But maybe not?

Tags: Coaching · Management · Moussa Sissoko · Newcastle News · Other News

19 responses so far ↓

• 1 Bobbybee // Jun 23, 2016 at 8:16 PM

Stop there moussa! ‘I do not feel superior…’ but I’m too good for Newcastle and the Championship. Kinda says you do feel a bit superior. 😉

• 2 Belfast // Jun 23, 2016 at 8:19 PM

Aye I don’t have a clue where those odds are coming from Bobby, but as I said I only hang with the poor folk. So maybe I’m misinformed. 🙂

• 3 welshgeordie9 // Jun 23, 2016 at 8:20 PM

So if we leave the euro does that mean this tournament will be our last.

• 4 Bobbybee // Jun 23, 2016 at 8:20 PM

Belfast, there’s more of us than them though! 😉

• 5 welshgeordie9 // Jun 23, 2016 at 8:24 PM

So that message from sissoko, does that mean he’s leaving or staying.

• 6 Bobbybee // Jun 23, 2016 at 8:25 PM

Welshie, no marra. The globe remains the same. We’d still be part of Europe, just not in the EC. Russia are in the Euro’s after all mate.

• 7 ShirebrookToon // Jun 23, 2016 at 8:29 PM

No Welshie the Swiss and Iceland aren’t in the EU so this won’t be out last EC

• 8 ShirebrookToon // Jun 23, 2016 at 8:31 PM

*our

• 9 ShirebrookToon // Jun 23, 2016 at 8:32 PM

Oh and Turkey aren’t in the EU

• 10 ShirebrookToon // Jun 23, 2016 at 8:33 PM

Getting withdrawal symptoms as there’s no football tonight 🙁

• 11 welshgeordie9 // Jun 23, 2016 at 8:34 PM

Cheers both.

• 12 Bobbybee // Jun 23, 2016 at 8:34 PM

To avoid confusion, my EC is for European Community, not European Championship. You deliberately trying to confuse welshie, shirebrook? 😉

• 13 ShirebrookToon // Jun 23, 2016 at 8:37 PM

Bobby I’m sure Welshie knew what we meant lol

• 14 ShirebrookToon // Jun 23, 2016 at 8:38 PM

Wonder who the four players we’re close to signing are?

• 15 lesh // Jun 23, 2016 at 8:44 PM

Moussa’s given himself a character reference that would impress any potential employer. Now if he’d just let his modesty mention his ability to perform miracles, rid the world of crime, wars and be the saviour of the universe, he’d be respected.

However…. ah, maybe he’s the one who’s fixing the ballot papers?

Or, could the Remain crowd have recruited an army of migrants to produce crossed ballot papers and ballot boxes to replace the originals that’ll disappear into the ether by tomorrow.

• 16 Bobbybee // Jun 23, 2016 at 8:45 PM

Shirebrook, no idea, but i suspect we might get a surprise. It might not be who we’ve been fed so far though. Can’t wait to find out though. 😉

• 17 jimmysmith // Jun 23, 2016 at 8:48 PM

He surely wouldn’t go to West Brom, rather than stay captain of Newcastle under Rafa. 15 million isn’t that much dough for him though, in this market. Newcastle seem acquiescent if that’s an accurate figure. You’d have to imagine a CL club somewhere will be willing to stump up that much. I still hope he stays though. He would do very well in the Championship and back in the EPL in a good, confident Newcastle side.

• 18 geordiesteve520 // Jun 23, 2016 at 11:45 PM

Anyone else wonder why we can never do business early? There’s always something, even Rafa saying so but then Spurs can sign Wanyama so quickly, what gives?

• 19 f // Jun 24, 2016 at 7:43 AM