Newcastle Are Favorites To Sign Scottish International Defender

The Sun is reporting that Newcastle are now the favorites to sign 24 year-old Scottish International defender Grant Hanley.

Grant has been at Blackburn Rovers since 2008 when he signed on from Rangers as a 16 year-old – and the center-back has now played 200 times for Rovers with 9 goals.

grant hanley

Grant Hanley – Blackburn center-back

We are 2/1 favorites to sign Blackburn Rovers defender Grant Hanley according to BetVictor.

Newcastle will be bringing in at least one center-back this summer, with Steven Taylor having already been released and Fab Coloccini expected to leave the club to return to Argentina in the summer.

On Thursday, manager Rafa Benitez said that Newcastle had four signings that had already been agreed, with the paperwork needing to be completed for the transfers to complete.

Grant made his full international debut for Scotland as a substitute in May 2011 against Wales in the Nations Cup in Dublin and has 23 total caps for Scotland.

Grant fills the bill for Newcastle, having had lots of experience in the Championship playing for the last four seasons at Blackburn, and he also played in the Premier League until 2012 when Rovers were relegated.

Maybe Grant is one of the four players Rafa has lined up to sign shortly?

• Bobbybee

Jun 23, 2016 at 11:04 PM

Oh, there’s a novelty. BandB’s first words in ages is an attack on me. Who would’ve thought that eh? You need help pet, this obsession is starting to make you sound slightly crazy. To save you further embarrassment I’ll find something else to do. Later.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jun 23, 2016 at 11:06 PM

Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 23, 2016 at 10:58 PM

Yo-Yo,
    I’m very much detached from what the campaigns have been saying, but the few bits I have heard on the World Service make it seem like both campaigns were using scaremongering tactics rather than making effective representations on their ideas of how the UK moves forwards once the result is decided.

77Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 23, 2016 at 11:03 PM

BandB,
    Did you vote? Were you leave or remain?

This is without doubt the most interesting political vote of my life time. I think I’m more interested partly because I’ve not had to put up with the campaigning being in my face.

There are definitely strong arguments to be made on both sides, however from the bits I’ve seen on social media a lot of leave voters are voting on more racial views than actually what will be best overall for the country.

78Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 23, 2016 at 11:04 PM

Not that Social media is a great measure, the more forcefully vocal on there are often those that have extreme views.

• lesh

Jun 23, 2016 at 11:06 PM

Bobby, you’re a hooligan, a vandal – lol. And for what it’s worth, I’m only allowed to use crayons so I don’t hurt myself.

Watching BBC and reporter from the Sunderland count said the tellers won’t be counting fast ad they don’t want to declare before Newcastle. Dimbelby’s response? Well, I understand that they can barely count let alone fast!

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jun 23, 2016 at 11:08 PM

On topic, big, physical and vocal centre back. Plenty of experience. I’d be quite happy with him coming in alongside an elder statesman to give us Hanley, Mbemba, Lascelles and A.N Other.

• lesh

Jun 23, 2016 at 11:11 PM

Bobby

BandB only had a pop at you cos I wasn’t around at the time.

But, I’ll be next or thereabouts.

It’s just a shame she’s got to vent her spleen on here – there’s probably a nice person lurking inside her.

• bettyswallocks

Jun 23, 2016 at 11:12 PM

The markets and the currency exchanges are already responding to a remain win. They wouldn’t have it so wrong , neither would the bookies. The whole thing was a farce and Cameron just going through the motions to quell disruption in the ranks.

On football matters it was so special to see Ireland win last night with grown men crying with pride for their country showing genuine displays of emotion. These are the real values in life, they’re tangible and bring people together.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jun 23, 2016 at 11:17 PM

Betty,
    I wouldn’t be talking about bookies getting it so wrong a month after Leicester won the title!

The currency markets do seem very confident that Britain will remain though – or maybe currency traders think Britain will be stronger out! 😉

I’m not sure ‘going through the motions’ by Cameron will quell dissension in the ranks. If anything it has demonstrated that Britain and the Conservative party are very divided. This weakens the Tory government, and I’m sure will be something that is picked up on over the coming months by Labour whichever way the vote goes.

• welshgeordie9

Jun 23, 2016 at 11:19 PM

Lesh

You right BandB has probably got something lurking inside her, have you seen the film species.

Ha ha ha

• Mister Tuff

Jun 23, 2016 at 11:33 PM

Lilo – vote is legally binding even if winning margin is 1 vote.
    It does not neccesarily follow that those who want out support UKIP.
    Plenty of Labour and Conservative supporters want out – wouldn’t say they therefore support UKIP.

• bettyswallocks

Jun 23, 2016 at 11:33 PM

Lil. I’m sure the remains have won it. I think that we would be better off out in the long term to negotiate our own trade deals and legislate our own border controls. People seem too afraid to vote for change.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jun 23, 2016 at 11:44 PM

Tuff,
    Thanks for that. I’d heard a few of the older Brits over here saying that they believed even if the UK voted to leave that Cameron and the House of Lords had power to overturn it.

Not sure what the bit about UKIP is about, I would vote leave, but I don’t have far right tendencies – if I did I doubt I would be in Malawi trying to help offer talented kids opportunities to better their lives!

I’d argue that the EU’s immigration policy is discriminatory. As are a lot of their trade tariffs imposed on members wanting to trade with non EU members.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jun 23, 2016 at 11:45 PM

Tuff,

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jun 23, 2016 at 11:46 PM

Apologies if that post appears twice. For some reason the first time I posted it (exactly the same) it was put under moderation….

• Mister Tuff

Jun 23, 2016 at 11:47 PM

Seeing that there is not much on the football front – I am taking a liberty in offering some advice for smallholders- or those with allotments who keep chickens.
    One of our hens had become quite broody- sitting on the nest all day – only venturing out to feed and causing mayhem with the other hens and our small cockerill. She had been a nice hen but not was pecking all the others birds including the cockerill.
    Tried the usual methods to remedy the brooding – remove eggs, change nest box, change cree/coup, cooling her underparts with water, ice. Nothing seemed to work.
    A mate allowed me to borrow his very large species rooster to see if he could remedy matters.
    Rodger the Rooster was introduced and was very active- he did the business with the broody hen and she is back to her normal self – strutting around and preening as if nothing had happened.
    That is it – my broody hen tip.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jun 23, 2016 at 11:49 PM

Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 23, 2016 at 11:46 PM

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Ed???

• Mister Tuff

Jun 23, 2016 at 11:50 PM

Lilo – all those years ago – we abandoned the Commonwealth. We had more in common with them than Europeans.

• BandB

Jun 23, 2016 at 11:52 PM

Lesh

Why you?
    Can you remind of anything interesting you ever said?

• bettyswallocks

Jun 23, 2016 at 11:54 PM

Mister Tuff…… A very philosophical post and very useful advice. However if not taken at face value as it should be, then it could be misconstrued as containing sexist undertones or dare I say even mysogynistic ones.

• BandB

Jun 23, 2016 at 11:55 PM

Well, I’m here, brave boys.
    And I’m in the mood.
    Form an orderly cue or all come in a few seconds :0

• geordie157

Jun 23, 2016 at 11:56 PM

Hanley would be a decent signing, bit surprised he hasn’t scored more goals though.

Personally any centre back additions I’d like to be as back ups to mbemba and lascelles, as those two could develop into a great partnership.

Left back and striker would be the key two areas to fix, with another centre back, central midfielder and winger also needed.

• Mister Tuff

Jun 23, 2016 at 11:56 PM

betty – purely a post about animal husbandry.

• bettyswallocks

Jun 24, 2016 at 12:00 AM

Mister Tuff. I realise that. Just worried how some of our more complex-ridden posters might construe it.

• Jib

Jun 24, 2016 at 12:00 AM

Cue in this context is spelled queue

• Jib

Jun 24, 2016 at 12:01 AM

Newcastle upon Tyne votes remain

• BandB

Jun 24, 2016 at 12:03 AM

Jib

,Original writing and its ironies are lost on you aren’t they Mr Plodwit?

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jun 24, 2016 at 12:04 AM

Former Liberal Democrat leader Paddy Ashdown says the political class “haven’t covered themselves in much glory”.

Do they ever?

• Jib

Jun 24, 2016 at 12:05 AM

kiselo stara krava

• BandB

Jun 24, 2016 at 12:07 AM

I know. I saw.
    Only plod wits feel the need to repeat a failed joke twice.

• BandB

Jun 24, 2016 at 12:09 AM

By comparison, Jib, I never repeated the brilliant Wile E Coyote observation.
    That’s cos I’m not needy.

• Jib

Jun 24, 2016 at 12:10 AM

No joke honeypie
    Seek help urgently

• bettyswallocks

Jun 24, 2016 at 12:12 AM

That’s debatable . Got to admire your gameness though.

• Tsunki

Jun 24, 2016 at 12:14 AM

So did the chicken vote leave or remain?

• BandB

Jun 24, 2016 at 12:15 AM

Gameness, Betty?
    You mean bouncing back in the face of all this rapier wit?

• bettyswallocks

Jun 24, 2016 at 12:20 AM

BandB….. Nobody’s on trial here , just play fair. Spitting venom and hurling abuse left right and centre whether justified or not is one thing.
    Crying misogyny reeks of double standards and isn’t fair.

• Mister Tuff

Jun 24, 2016 at 12:21 AM

For those interested a good English/Dutch Aviculture Digital Magazine can be located via the following link :-

• BandB

Jun 24, 2016 at 12:23 AM

Yes Betty,

I bleed from my mouth once a month, remember?
    So you reckoned. You “tongue in cheek” kinda guy.

• BandB

Jun 24, 2016 at 12:25 AM

Pygmies.

• bettyswallocks

Jun 24, 2016 at 12:29 AM

BandB……. I never ever said that to you so that’s a downright lie. Nobody on here has ever directed OTT sexist comments at you. In fact tiptoeing around your gender in an overly polite way has been more prevalent. That’s why it makes your accusations of sexism very hard to bear.

• BandB

Jun 24, 2016 at 12:32 AM

You did used exactly that phrase Betty you lying toad. More than once and against more than just me.
    You disgusting, shallow man.

• bettyswallocks

Jun 24, 2016 at 12:36 AM

BandB…….. Never addressed to you. You never expressed your disapproval at the time and like I said nobody is on trial here. You seem very angry and disturbed.