The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Still Short Of First Team Friendlies In Pre-Season

2:02 pm, Thursday, June 23rd, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 59 Comments

Newcastle United announced their third pre-season first team friendly today and Dutch Eredivisie side Vitesse will visit St. James’ Park in their final pre-season friendly of the summer the weekend before we visit Fulham on Friday 5th August, to start the long Championship season.

The game will be played on Saturday, 30th July, for a 3pm kick-off and it will be the Magpies’ only home fixture of the season.

Both clubs were founded in 1892.

The previously arranged friendly games are with Bohemian, on Saturday, 16th July (2pm kick-off) in Dublin, and at Doncaster Rovers, on Wednesday, 20th July (7.45pm kick-off).

Rafa Benitez had talked about playing up to seven pre-season friendlies as preparation for the Championship season.

There have also been reports in Belgium that Newcastle will Sporting Lokeren in July..

The Belgium media has reported the game will take place on Saturday 23rd July, the week-end before the game against Vitesse.

So we still have to hear of more friendly games before we visit Fulham on 5th August – which is six weeks tomorrow.

Tags: Coaching · Friendlies · Management · Newcastle News · Pre-season

59 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jib // Jun 23, 2016 at 2:10 PM

• 2 cyprus // Jun 23, 2016 at 2:18 PM

So no USA trip. That’s good. I’m against tournament football, because that way, in essence, competition begins.

These people (players that is) need to practise stuff together. Plays, combinations, tactics, a search to see what and whom fits. People need to be played and substituted ad hoc, constantly.

A couple of games with weaklings like Vitesse are a good idea. Even a big team occasion toward the end, but no tournaments.

Now, if they can eliminate the mid season Dubai trip we are set.

• 3 Tsunki // Jun 23, 2016 at 2:26 PM

I think pre-season tours are a useless jaunt, and our last one epitomised this. If you are going to hit the ground running in a hard do-or-die league campaign, your new squad needs to start gelling by playing a good few games on home grounds and conditions so you are ready for the first game of the season. Flying round the world and fielding cobbled teams of mixed youngsters and jaded pros in hot countries or on plastic pitches in front of 200 or so expats and soccer-gawpers is no way to prepare.

• 4 Tsunki // Jun 23, 2016 at 2:28 PM

I think the USA trip last year was the nadir of McCardews tenure. And then it just went downhill from there πŸ˜€ poor git must have known he’d been sold the Earth for a tenner when he got off the plane ha ha.

• 5 Tsunki // Jun 23, 2016 at 2:31 PM

I liked it when we got good teams to visit SJP on summer nights one of my favourites was us being shown how a football works by Barcelona with a certain Mr Kluivert at the front for them. Some time ago I know, but nights like that are a great way to get a look at the new lads and ponder over the seasons prospects.

• 6 Tsunki // Jun 23, 2016 at 2:33 PM

Weaklings like vitesse eh, Cyprus ha ha and of course we are the championship giants πŸ™‚

• 7 Tsunki // Jun 23, 2016 at 2:36 PM

Factoid – vitesse Manager for the 1946-47 campaign was George Roper. I bet Mildred did the team selection. One for the older viewers there.

• 8 croftus5678 // Jun 23, 2016 at 2:39 PM

the original article about the 3 signings very very close and could be done in the same week claim that benny said the chairmen at the clubs their trying to do business with are not available for work as they are enjoying their holidays at the euro’s not that we are after players at the euro’s

• 9 Jail for Ashley // Jun 23, 2016 at 3:01 PM

The friendly opposition has taken a major down step in class since Mikey showed up.

• 10 Jail for Ashley // Jun 23, 2016 at 3:08 PM

The thirty year old teenager welshie doesn’t do comprehension!

• 11 Tsunki // Jun 23, 2016 at 3:16 PM

Aye too true, Jail. From the powerhouses of Europe to the fortress of York. 😐

Yep, Croftus, I would cut welshie loose. I recall similar difficulty trying to explain to an ‘older person’ once that a computer mouse functions with more ease if turned the correct way round.

• 12 cyprus // Jun 23, 2016 at 3:41 PM

Actually fair point @6 πŸ™‚

• 13 cyprus // Jun 23, 2016 at 3:42 PM

Come on Baghdatis, one more game…

• 14 toon kk // Jun 23, 2016 at 3:56 PM

Really looking forward to the new season, will be great knowing we can compete. Hopefully we can build get promoted and start again. It’s a shame we were relegated but tbh it was enivitable and probably needed, at least to show MA the errors of his running of our club.

• 15 Jail for Ashley // Jun 23, 2016 at 4:03 PM

toon kk,
    Very inevitable, I can’t understand people clinging on to the fact that if Pardew was still here we wouldn’t have been, where would it have got us?

• 16 Jail for Ashley // Jun 23, 2016 at 4:04 PM

Fair play to Jamie Vardy, I hope it sets a precedent.

• 17 croftus5678 // Jun 23, 2016 at 4:05 PM

@14 toon kk

yep same here as even if we lose several better players we still should be strong enough to top the championship and hopefully go for a cup.

only thing that scares me is we allready have a lot of players not good enough for the prem (good enough for the championships though) but if we sign more for the lower league and we do get promoted thn again we will be stuck with even more players of goofy/sammy/vukic ect ect’s quality.

• 18 Spoof // Jun 23, 2016 at 4:35 PM

How many points will we get on a monthly basis next season

Fulham v Newcastle, Newcastle v Huddersfield Town

Cardiff v Newcastle
    12 points

Newcastle v Barnsley
    3 points

Total 86 points

• 19 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 23, 2016 at 4:41 PM

To be fair, we know exactly where it would have got us. 15th every year playing over cautious football, and slipping into a deep coma. I still can’t believe we still managed to take a step backwards after percy left, though. But as many have said,maybe it might have been worth it.

• 20 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jun 23, 2016 at 4:43 PM

February going to be the BIG month for the TOON
    3 potential promotion favourites/challengers along with the TOON.

Get through Feb unscathed then onwards and upwards

• 21 toon kk // Jun 23, 2016 at 4:44 PM

I don’t think we’ll be the team we were last time we played in the championship. Our current team will have to work very hard, there may not have the quality of premier league players in the championship but the work rate makes up for it, something we struggled with last season.

• 22 Tsunki // Jun 23, 2016 at 4:48 PM

Mark – actually all those “Doomed & Gloomers” who were scoffed at for saying it might be a good thing getting relegated start to look vindicated. And they were scoffed at.

• 23 Jail for Ashley // Jun 23, 2016 at 5:20 PM

I don’t know the reason why Pardew and Carver were allowed to nearly take us down as opposed to Mclaren who was nipped in the bud, I think Benitez was a last roll of the dice, pay 5M etc now as opposed to losing 135M later, I can only think that seeing Boro’s fate in 2009 has made the portly billionaire see sense in trying to get us straight back up, I hope to fcuking that once Rafa does he doesn’t go back to running us like a sports shop again.

• 24 Jail for Ashley // Jun 23, 2016 at 5:21 PM

I hate using Google this predecessors text!

• 25 Tsunki // Jun 23, 2016 at 5:27 PM

Jail it’s got you mate ha ha

• 26 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 23, 2016 at 5:28 PM

Thing is, it’s only worked out well because rafa stayed. I dread to think who would be here now if he had done a nash.

• 27 Spoof // Jun 23, 2016 at 5:29 PM

How do you know that Ashley won’t revert earlier, come the new year with all the season tickets sold and if we are a few points ahead he may feel a January sale could be done without costing us promotion, in all honesty I doubt that will happen as I honestly feel that the Carver collapse frightened him which is why he released the purse strings last summer but sadly he released them into the wrong man’s hands, this time I feel and hope that he has got it right and I do genuinely believe that he will allow us to progress, I’m not saying that he is forgiven but I do believe that he has changed !

• 28 Jail for Ashley // Jun 23, 2016 at 5:39 PM

I don’t, all I am 100% positive is that Rafa is here because he thinks he can take us to the next level rather than secure himself a guaranteed future of managing West Ham, Stoke or WBA.

• 29 Bobbybee // Jun 23, 2016 at 5:41 PM

Tsunki, not sure that going down was crucial at all matey. Even if we had stayed up, which would’ve been preferable, we’d still have had Rafa in the PL this season. By that, i mean going down wasn’t the reason we now have Rafa. I know what i mean, i trust you do! πŸ˜‰

• 30 j.tudor // Jun 23, 2016 at 5:53 PM

Would that be apart from you know who with his head so far up his own butt

• 31 Tsunki // Jun 23, 2016 at 5:55 PM

Bobby as contraire I think the virtual inevitability of relegation prompted a two – part contingency involving Benitez first bring to pull survival out of his a**e second being to retain him on a cost/benefit appraisal , in the event of the expected. Without the imminent threat of relegation I think a less drastic contingency would have been entertained. Tbf though, we will never know.

• 32 Tsunki // Jun 23, 2016 at 5:56 PM

John T I see you’ve lost only your hyperlink, none of the cutting edge πŸ™‚

• 33 Jail for Ashley // Jun 23, 2016 at 5:58 PM

My point was that going down achieved nothing. Those hoping that relegation would get rid of Ashley were few and far between, it might have taken a few years yet. Best case scenario would have been beating Norwich and the mackems.

• 34 Tsunki // Jun 23, 2016 at 5:58 PM

Mr T I know it should be “Au” before you start rhyming on πŸ˜€

• 35 Bobbybee // Jun 23, 2016 at 6:06 PM

Nobody will ever know what goes on in Ashley’s napper, but we would definitely be better off if Rafa had managed to keep us up. Instead of having to wait another season before launching his bid for the top six, we could’ve been preparing for it now. I get your point that had we not been struggling he might not have come, but once here the goalposts moved. (Might be able to put the ball through them now!) πŸ˜‰ Just one of those things we’ll never know and he ain’t telling.

• 36 Tsunki // Jun 23, 2016 at 6:06 PM

So, without bringing politics up, what way does everyone think Britain will vote? Are we nailed on to stick with our Euro-Cousins or will we cast off the chain and let Johnny Foreigner loose ha ha? I’ve no idea.

• 37 Tsunki // Jun 23, 2016 at 6:09 PM

There’s no argument though that the imminent threat of relegation for the second time in a decade of tenure prompted drastic action. It did take that to jolt our Michael.

• 38 j.tudor // Jun 23, 2016 at 6:09 PM

Too many foreigners voting to remain

• 39 Bobbybee // Jun 23, 2016 at 6:14 PM

Jail, I think we just need to accept that Ashley has no immediate intention of selling up. Like he put it, we’re stuck with each other, for better or worse. If this is Ashley’s new way of running things, then so be it, I can live with it. Of course, he might change tack, but until he does – or doesn’t – this new way of running the club is better for all. If he genuinely intends to keep out of affairs, then this could be the start of something good. πŸ˜‰

• 40 Jail for Ashley // Jun 23, 2016 at 6:15 PM

I’m not voting because I don’t think I’m qualified to do so.

• 41 Jail for Ashley // Jun 23, 2016 at 6:16 PM

You haven’t heard me complaining lately!

• 42 Bobbybee // Jun 23, 2016 at 6:22 PM

Jail, no i haven’t! πŸ˜‰

• 43 Bobbybee // Jun 23, 2016 at 6:27 PM

For what it’s worth, I’ve voted to get out. Being ruled by none elected beurocrats from another country is hardly democratic. I’m sure we can mess up our own lives without outside help!

• 44 WWSBRD // Jun 23, 2016 at 6:41 PM

The only qualification u need is age mate that’s what’s scary

ANYWAY any idea who these players are likely to be? I am wanting Cook, Hughes, Dunk and some quality striker…Austin anyone?

• 45 Jail for Ashley // Jun 23, 2016 at 6:47 PM

It’s in the hands of people like welshgeordie09 and that’s scary.

• 46 WWSBRD // Jun 23, 2016 at 6:54 PM

Maybe he’s smarter than people give him credit for, though tbf we are unaware as to what the right answer is…regardless though tomorrow the world will still be spinning

• 47 Graeme // Jun 23, 2016 at 7:19 PM

Bobby, you and me both mate.
    When it’s all said and done, this is an incredibly talented Country and always has been. There is a whole world out there we can trade and do business with, including the EU.
    The way Cameron and his cronies have been mouthing off, running this country down boils my piss.

• 48 Bobbybee // Jun 23, 2016 at 7:28 PM

Just realised that there was only a pencil available to vote with… which now has me thinking. Why pencil? Leaves it open for unscrupulous people to rub it out… Do i believe they would? 100% yes.

• 49 Jail for Ashley // Jun 23, 2016 at 7:33 PM

Probably the first time we’ve disagreed, my most horriIsle blog moment was when welshie announced he was a fan of Eldarado and I realised he was in his thirties rather than the simple teenager I thought he was.

• 50 Thump // Jun 23, 2016 at 7:33 PM

@Bobbybee: Never voted before, eh?

It’s always a pencil.

• 51 Jail for Ashley // Jun 23, 2016 at 7:35 PM

The same thing is all over FB,, does anyone else really think there are people rubbing shite out and repencelling crosses

• 52 Thump // Jun 23, 2016 at 7:37 PM

There again, there’s always an abundance of Ladbroke pens, but I’ve always just assumed they appear wherever there’s disposable slip of paper.

• 53 Bobbybee // Jun 23, 2016 at 7:44 PM

Thump, i’ve always voted in pen mate, maybe different stations have different rules, who knows? Never thought about it to be honest until now. It just seems strange that such an important vote is left wide open to POTENTIAL fraud. Anybody who thinks they wouldn’t rig a vote is dangerously naive imo.

• 54 Belfast // Jun 23, 2016 at 7:56 PM

I was checking the bookies earlier skunki and it’s 1/7 for a remain vote.
    Yet I don’t know anyone that was voting remain.

I guess I must hang in the wrong circles πŸ™‚

• 55 Mister Tuff // Jun 23, 2016 at 8:01 PM

I knew it was right to vote out when I saw Bob Geldoff campaigning to stay in.

• 56 Bobbybee // Jun 23, 2016 at 8:03 PM

Belfast, not really. Nobody i know is voting to remain either. They must know something we don’t because polls have it running neck and neck. Brexit was in front for a while, so where 1/7 comes from is anybody’s guess.

• 57 lesh // Jun 23, 2016 at 8:04 PM

C’mon Bobby, get a grip man.

• 58 lesh // Jun 23, 2016 at 8:08 PM

As I was about to say before the phone took over, the result’s due tomorrow and can you really imagine an army of tellers rubbing out and altering millions of papers?

Or maybe they’ll have a piece of equipment that enables them to do it in bulk?

• 59 Bobbybee // Jun 23, 2016 at 8:11 PM

Lesh, if you want to be naive there’s nowt i can do mate. These are the people who start wars and sell arms to both sides. Stop watching the box and research a bit mate. They just love sheeple.. πŸ˜‰

previous post: Are Newcastle’s Four Signings Some Of These Eight Players?

next post: Moussa Sissoko Gets Personal In Long Le Figaro Interview