The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Reported After £10M Premier League Striker

3:24 pm, Saturday, June 25th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 82 Comments

The Mail is reporting today that Newcastle are willing to make a move for £10M rated Crystal Palace striker Dwight Gayle.

Since moving to Crystal Palace from Peterborough three years ago, Gayle has scored 25 goals in 74 total appearances for the Premier League club, but he has been unable to command a regular first team place under manager Alan Pardew.

dwight gayle

Dwight Gayle – £10M for this striker?

We have never rated this player too highly, although we suppose he could score some goals for us in the Championship next season.

Gayle joined Peterborough from Dagenham & Redbridge in late 2012, initially on loan – and after signing permanently for them in January of 2013 he scored 13 goals in 29 appearances – in just over half a season in the Championship.

In July of 2103 he signed a four year deal at Palace for around £4.5M.

The 25-year-old has since signed a new four year contract in April of last year at Crystal Palace, maybe to protect the investment of Crystal Palace, but £10M seems a lot to pay for a fairly ordinary striker.

He did score 7 goals in 20 appearances last season, but we wonder if he’s worth £10M?

What do you think?

82 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jail for Ashley // Jun 25, 2016 at 3:31 PM

Why not put a decent offer in for Jordan Rhodes, although he’s waited ages for a PL chance and will probably want to stay where he is.

• 2 Ron Knee // Jun 25, 2016 at 3:40 PM

• 3 ShirebrookToon // Jun 25, 2016 at 3:40 PM

What a goal by shaqiri!!

• 4 Average_Contents // Jun 25, 2016 at 3:41 PM

What a fcuking goal.

Bullheads just exploded again 😉

• 5 Jib // Jun 25, 2016 at 3:46 PM

Cheers Lesh for that link.
    I take it – in the event of a draw , it’s ET and Pens ?

• 6 jazzyp // Jun 25, 2016 at 3:47 PM

Would sooner stick with what we have and give Arma a chance, Than waste money on this kid

• 7 Average_Contents // Jun 25, 2016 at 3:48 PM

Some technique that like to get it in from that far out and running away from the goal to reach it. They deserved that.

That fernandes for the Swiss, didn’t he used to play for citeh just after they become a sovereign state?

• 8 Average_Contents // Jun 25, 2016 at 3:50 PM

Ok then.

• 9 Average_Contents // Jun 25, 2016 at 3:50 PM

Lewendowski goes over like a little girl. Done it all match the cheating cnut

• 10 Jib // Jun 25, 2016 at 3:51 PM

You cannot get away from the fact that when Rafa originally took us on he said he knew our squad and rated it .
    The 3/4 players will be to replace the ship-jumpers and Steven Taylor.

• 11 WWSBRD // Jun 25, 2016 at 3:53 PM

We won’t pay 10 mill for him but he would be a good addition up front

• 12 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jun 25, 2016 at 4:05 PM

Gayle is a good little player he gets wasted playing for Pardew whenever I have watched him as he gets slapped out on the wing quite a lot which is not really his game !

10 million is going to be the rate for players at Gayle’s level so best to get used to it now rather than moaning about prices!

If we get anyone decent who has premiership experience for under 10 million this summer I will be amazed !

• 13 Average_Contents // Jun 25, 2016 at 4:06 PM

The only thing I think he’s got going for him is pace. Other than that he’s pretty poo.

That was the goal of the tournament for me. Unbelievable.

• 14 WWSBRD // Jun 25, 2016 at 4:10 PM

See the only thing I think that goes against him is temperament mate, whenever I’ve seen him play for palace I can’t understand why the others are starting ahead of him

• 15 Mister Tuff // Jun 25, 2016 at 4:10 PM

Gayle – no thanks. King Percy will be telling Penfold that Gayle is the next world superstar.

• 16 welshgeordie9 // Jun 25, 2016 at 4:34 PM

Is it really necessary to swear nearly every comment.

• 17 welshgeordie9 // Jun 25, 2016 at 4:35 PM

Rather have Charlie Austin than Dwight Gayle.

• 18 welshgeordie9 // Jun 25, 2016 at 4:37 PM

Hope he’s not one of Benitez targets, so much for targeting high if it is.

• 19 welshgeordie9 // Jun 25, 2016 at 4:38 PM

Right I’m off to watch the team of the tournament.

Ha ha ha

• 20 NUFCPaul // Jun 25, 2016 at 5:02 PM

welshgeordie9 – why do people swear in here? Because they think it makes them look like big boys. Just like the dolt who said that the ex-Chelsea medic had ‘nice chebs’. That’s the thinking of someone with the IQ of a breeze block.

• 21 Tsunki // Jun 25, 2016 at 5:04 PM

Aye Welsh but don’t forget your lads are playing too. 🙂

• 22 Tsunki // Jun 25, 2016 at 5:06 PM

Tattoos, you say? When I was a young lad I asked my dad if it was alright to have one he said not until I’m older I key my mam and she said ok but just get one done somewhere of nobody cared about so I had it done in Hartlepool boom diddy boom.

Actually I’ve never believed in tattoos I’m sorry but I think injecting ink under your skin so people can see your idiotic ideas for a lifetime is just daft. To see 50+ women with them is cringe worthy, sorry. I bet they were the ones who used to shout at their kids for writing on their hands with biro. 😀

To each their own though.

• 23 Jib // Jun 25, 2016 at 5:10 PM

Yoo hoo
    I’d rather be a dolt than a priggish . holier than thou , smugmonster .

• 24 welshgeordie9 // Jun 25, 2016 at 5:12 PM

At the moment it’s all Northern Ireland.

• 25 Jib // Jun 25, 2016 at 5:13 PM

Careful Tsunki
    You’ve just had a pop at British West
    Humourless NUFCPaul will give you a lecture about mocking deprived areas.

• 26 Mister Tuff // Jun 25, 2016 at 5:17 PM

Jib – you do not get a choice – dolt.

• 27 Mister Tuff // Jun 25, 2016 at 5:23 PM

Jib – save you a Google search – have you seen this headline :-
    “Nancy considering Emmanuel Rivière move”.

This is not a lady called Nancy but a town in France.

• 28 jazzyp // Jun 25, 2016 at 5:27 PM

As Nancy in for Riviere. Hopefully him and Gouffy will be another 2 misfits out the door.

• 29 Tsunki // Jun 25, 2016 at 5:29 PM

Jib I didn’t mean to offend you especially as you are the proud wearer of a “D” imprinted on your forehead. If you read all of that you’ll find it was a personal slant and my closing comment illustrates how I feel about all person choices, if they don’t affect me, then, hey, they don’t affect me.

You on the other hand seem to be an enemy of free speech.

• 30 Ron Knee // Jun 25, 2016 at 5:30 PM

How much are we paying Nancy to take him?

• 31 Tsunki // Jun 25, 2016 at 5:32 PM

In other news, this game is dull as dishwater so far.

• 32 Jail for Ashley // Jun 25, 2016 at 5:34 PM

I wouldn’t be too disappointed if Gouff was still here for the Championship, there is going to be at least 50 games and he’s not a bad squad player, he might just surprise us at a lower level.

• 33 Jail for Ashley // Jun 25, 2016 at 5:39 PM

It’s the equivalent of WBA vs Stoke.

• 34 Tsunki // Jun 25, 2016 at 5:40 PM

Yep you never know, Rafa might play Goofy in his proper position. That’d be a first.

• 35 Tsunki // Jun 25, 2016 at 5:41 PM

Jail I was just going to say it looks like a midweek mid tabler in the prem. Definitely not international competition.

• 36 Jail for Ashley // Jun 25, 2016 at 5:43 PM

WBA vs Stoke on a February Monday night.

• 37 Jail for Ashley // Jun 25, 2016 at 5:44 PM

I wonder if the four imminent deals are a LB, two CB’s and a striker.

• 38 GeordieTwo // Jun 25, 2016 at 5:48 PM

Northern Ireland and Wales understand the idea of the game is to score do they? That was horrible stuff…..

• 39 GeordieTwo // Jun 25, 2016 at 5:51 PM

Big news lads! Newcastle have signed Vincenzo Biscotti, the Sicilian Stiletto to the development squad. Makes a great complement to Phil Gristle. We’re really moving forward now…

• 40 GeordieTwo // Jun 25, 2016 at 5:53 PM

Actually I don’t mind if Nancy is a lass. As long as she’s willing to take Manny off wor hands…..

• 41 GeordieTwo // Jun 25, 2016 at 5:56 PM

Not a lot of reaction to the Vincenzo Biscotti signing so far…….

• 42 GeordieTwo // Jun 25, 2016 at 5:57 PM

I once saw Rivi badly damage a blade of grass with his shot. Probably a fluke……

• 43 jazzyp // Jun 25, 2016 at 6:01 PM

Anyone know what’s happening with the Cabella saga ??.i thought the deal was signed and sealed with Marseille yet Besiktas have come in for him

• 44 GeordieTwo // Jun 25, 2016 at 6:08 PM

A permanent deal for 7.3M pounds to Marseille still seems to be on jazzy mate.

• 45 GeordieTwo // Jun 25, 2016 at 6:12 PM

Have to say I hope Wales go through. Northern Ireland just aren’t good enough to make for a decent match in the next round.

• 46 Tsunki // Jun 25, 2016 at 6:14 PM

I like bales fk’s he takes a stance like a rugby union free kicker

• 47 bettyswallocks // Jun 25, 2016 at 6:15 PM

Some of these Irish lads look like they’re desperately refraining from picking the ball up and bouncing it and running with it.

• 48 GeordieTwo // Jun 25, 2016 at 6:16 PM

Dwight Gayle showed promise early on but then the famous Alan Mildew got a hold of him.

• 49 Tsunki // Jun 25, 2016 at 6:17 PM

Looks like the grass needs a bit of watering over in the corner there. And there seems to be a couple of pixels off on the advertising board behind one of the goals. Not many seagulls about today either.

• 50 Tsunki // Jun 25, 2016 at 6:18 PM

• 51 GeordieTwo // Jun 25, 2016 at 6:18 PM

I think they should take both keepers out of the match. It might just end 1-0 instead of extra time and penalties.

• 52 clinath@ed // Jun 25, 2016 at 6:22 PM

More like The Nags Head vs The Crown, on a wet Sunday morning.

• 53 bettyswallocks // Jun 25, 2016 at 6:23 PM

The Welsh have drunk too much Mouton Cadet.

• 54 Jib // Jun 25, 2016 at 6:30 PM

That was quite humourous
    Better than your usual smacking Welshie on the heid with a shovel (figuratively speaking)

• 55 Goromagpie // Jun 25, 2016 at 6:31 PM

Geordie two

Your totally free today I guess! So many posts ?

• 56 Bobbybee // Jun 25, 2016 at 6:31 PM

Dwight Gayle ain’t the worst footballer in the world, but we could sign a real striker for that price. He’s about on a par with Mitro on strike rate, if that. Oh no, own goal. Sad.

• 57 martoon // Jun 25, 2016 at 6:33 PM

Anybody seen this:

It says Rafa has accepted Townsend is leaving – I’m not so sure about that!

• 58 Bobbybee // Jun 25, 2016 at 6:42 PM

Martoon, more lies i reckon. Last we heard Rafa was hopeful he could keep him. Don’t believe he’d leak that to anybody marra and be more likely to put that out through local press if it was fact. Townsend’s on holiday I think and Rafa’s at home and no way would they discuss that over the phone, surely? In fact, Rafa said he would talk to him when he came back in the pre season. More mischief making imo.

• 59 martoon // Jun 25, 2016 at 6:45 PM

I agree Bobby.

• 60 welshgeordie9 // Jun 25, 2016 at 6:51 PM

Sheepshaggers (that’s what clowns call us anyway) are in the quarter finals, get in there.

What do you think of that then boyos.

• 61 welshgeordie9 // Jun 25, 2016 at 6:52 PM

Yes rubbish game but who cares i don’t.

• 62 Jib // Jun 25, 2016 at 6:54 PM

It wasn’t Wales fault it was rubbish

• 63 Bobbybee // Jun 25, 2016 at 6:54 PM

Appears to me that the entire media network is desperate to sell all our players before the season starts. I think Andros was grateful to us and Rafa for rescuing his career and might be willing to give it one season in the Championship. Give him a pay rise under a new contract that removes the clause. Been done before and will be done again.
    Well done welshie, your lads made itc, but i have sympathy for the irish lads. Gave you a good game anyway. 😉

• 64 BandB // Jun 25, 2016 at 6:55 PM

Due to his expertise on Google, Jib is able to comment on “nice cheers” almost first hand 🙂

• 65 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jun 25, 2016 at 6:56 PM

Pity Wales didn’t get knocked out so I don’t have to listen to Lillie Savage going on about Wales and how great Gareth Bale is

• 66 BandB // Jun 25, 2016 at 6:56 PM

Oh dear, You actually have to go to the actual trouble of CORRECTING that word on auto-correct.

• 67 Tsunki // Jun 25, 2016 at 7:00 PM

Wales the better team but I don’t think they’ll get past the next round tbh.

BandB strange that your autocorrect dictionary didn’t anticipate that word 😀

• 68 BandB // Jun 25, 2016 at 7:01 PM

Those Welsh top tenors in the crowd were in moving form during the rendition of Land of My Fathers before the game Weshgeordie.

• 69 Tsunki // Jun 25, 2016 at 7:03 PM

Fair result but please let there be no more games as grim watching as that 🙁

• 70 BandB // Jun 25, 2016 at 7:05 PM

I thought it must be a zeitgeist word Tsunki.
    Like MoFo.

• 71 Tsunki // Jun 25, 2016 at 7:06 PM

I think you’ve got a fan in Goromagpie, G2 🙂

He hasn’t even noticed my sandwich fillers ha ha

• 72 Bobbybee // Jun 25, 2016 at 7:07 PM

Welshie, why don’t your lot sing the words in Men of Harlech, as opposed to just the tune? For some reason we were taught the words in junior school and it’s the most rousing battle song I can think of. I only remember part of it myself – 50 yrs takes its toll – but it’s a rousing anthem.

• 73 Tsunki // Jun 25, 2016 at 7:09 PM

I think that’s elevating it a bit bandb.

• 74 Jib // Jun 25, 2016 at 7:12 PM

BandB leave the blog

Return in 5 minutes

We’ll all pretend we haven’t seen you and laugh heartily at your barbed wit

• 75 Tsunki // Jun 25, 2016 at 7:13 PM

Looks like the Europeans are already changing the locks and chucking our laundry out of the bedroom window and on to the lawn ha ha,.

• 76 BandB // Jun 25, 2016 at 7:13 PM

Men of Harlech was my dad’s getting dressed for the pub song.
    They used it in Zulu didn’t they?
    As the 24th tried counteract the negative effects on morale of the Zulus’ “We’re going to chop your goodies off and shove them in your gobs” tune.

• 77 bettyswallocks // Jun 25, 2016 at 7:14 PM

Jib…….. Glad I have your approval.

• 78 Tsunki // Jun 25, 2016 at 7:14 PM

Sorry is that politics again, sorry.

• 79 BandB // Jun 25, 2016 at 7:17 PM

I seen a few people apparently not spotting your posts for simply yonks Jibbers.
    I thought I’d come back and help you keep the conversation going 🙂

• 80 Rotonda heights // Jun 25, 2016 at 7:22 PM

tsunki @22

spot on

• 81 Toon Tang // Jun 25, 2016 at 7:22 PM

I don’t know about 10mil for this Pokemon looking guy. He appears to have undergone and successfully completed the ‘Pardewed’ program.

Looked half decent before the king took over at Palace.

Do we really want to pay for his full rehabilitation? I suppose if anyone can snap him out its wor messiah.

• 82 Bobbybee // Jun 25, 2016 at 7:24 PM

Aye, it was in Zulu. I was forced to go to a catholic school and we had all the rebel songs instilled in us, almost like preparing us for another faith war! 😉 Funny old religion lol. Priests like octupi and nuns who just loved whacking you with canes for the lightest reason. That was the 60’s like, so it might not be quite as bad. 😉

previous post: Here’s One Reported Target Who’s Not Coming To Newcastle