The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Still No Breakthrough In The Summer Transfer Market

3:19 pm, Sunday, June 26th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 93 Comments

Newcastle are still to make their first signing of the summer and the players will be returning for pre-season training in the middle of the coming week.

Rafa Benitez will be trying to get in as many players as possible and as soon as possible once pre-season starts, because he wants them to have a full pre-season and our first league game is fairly early – at Fulham five weeks come Friday.

rafa benitez mainget-large_trans++PoURMoge4zyCm5RemNush88cDT7xpfcMO9FRf2d6YJU

Rafa Benitez – four signings lined up?

Rafa did raise the hopes of Newcastle fans when he has this to say about the pending Newcastle transfers last Thursday:

“We have three or four things ready.” “It’s just that we have to start with the first one, and then we have two or three that I think we can do in one week.

“For our fans – we are working very hard. It’s not easy because the market prices are so high but we are fine.”

“If we can do our business, we have three or four things ready, and when I say ready it’s really, really nearly there.”

“But we are waiting for someone that is working in another club and then he need to come back and sign the document.”

The news on Friday in the local papers was that our first signing was imminent, but we haven’t managed to complete a deal yet.

It’s an interesting time for Newcastle fans as we wait to see what kind of quality Rafa Benitez can attract to what is – at least for one season – a second division Newcastle club.

Our squad is already quite strong, if we can only keep our best players this summer.

The way Newcastle played those last six games of last season when we do 12 points and were unbeaten, showed we were a good team in the Premier League at the end of the season.

93 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ron Knee // Jun 26, 2016 at 3:25 PM

Nearly!

• 2 Average_Contents // Jun 26, 2016 at 3:25 PM

Looking decidedly dodgy at the back now Ireland.

What a whopper McLean. Probably the best chance they’ll get now.

• 3 sing in the corner // Jun 26, 2016 at 3:27 PM

What a thick, poppy dodging mackem reject.

• 4 Novocastrian66 // Jun 26, 2016 at 3:29 PM

Unlucky JFA.

• 5 Jib // Jun 26, 2016 at 3:29 PM

Jail
    You talking about Leon Uris ?

• 6 Average_Contents // Jun 26, 2016 at 3:43 PM

Then they go and concede straight after that scruffs chance after some truly shite defending.

Moussa willed (whilst pulling splinters out of his arse) they’d take the lead and so it was.

He’s THAT good.

• 7 Jail for Ashley // Jun 26, 2016 at 3:48 PM

Jib,
    Aye
    Novo,
    Cheers, it was long shot anyway!+

• 8 Ron Knee // Jun 26, 2016 at 3:50 PM

Yesssss!

• 9 Average_Contents // Jun 26, 2016 at 3:50 PM

Here’s the matchwinner….

• 10 Ron Knee // Jun 26, 2016 at 3:52 PM

Will he get his minute of glory? The clock is ticking.

• 11 Average_Contents // Jun 26, 2016 at 3:53 PM

HE told Didier he wanted in after helping create the two goals with the power of his mind.

• 12 Tsunki // Jun 26, 2016 at 3:53 PM

Well Jib I’ve waited all day for your approval-nidding chums to come into the blog and vote in your petition yet not a peep so far. Maybe they are all watching the game with bated breath and have forgotten to voice their anger at my shameful barbed attack on Ed. Except of course Ed will tell you how many times I’ve defended the Blogmeister many a time in the face of abusive scum sucking limpwits just like you.

Like I said, pull your drawers up and pour some cold water in your pockets, and let other bloggers speak for themselves.

• 13 Tsunki // Jun 26, 2016 at 3:56 PM

Well for being top nods France were made to work for that.

• 14 Jail for Ashley // Jun 26, 2016 at 3:57 PM

Best result for England in the bigger picture I think. Pocket took a hit though 🙁 That’s why I don’t often bet.

• 15 Bobbybee // Jun 26, 2016 at 4:01 PM

Oh well, fine effort fron Ireland despite the ten men. That said, if we get through and have to play France then we can certainly beat them judging on that performance. Didn’t see too much to worry us if I’m honest. Could be actually our year… 😉

• 16 Jib // Jun 26, 2016 at 4:02 PM

Jail
    I haven’t read Trinity
    I will make the effort to do so

• 17 WWSBRD // Jun 26, 2016 at 4:06 PM

Fair play Ireland but France always had another 3/4 levels to go up

England next for them hopefully and we will give them a much harder test

• 18 Jib // Jun 26, 2016 at 4:23 PM

Deschamps is to be commended on his courage.
    He clearly thought his “B” team were enough to beat Ireland and even after conceding an early penalty he stuck to his guns and only made one change at half time – Kingsley Coman.

• 19 sing in the corner // Jun 26, 2016 at 4:59 PM

Interesting to see if Germany are gonna put down a marker today and show how to dismantle the ‘park the bus’ tactic. Not that they managed it against NI.
    I wanted the Irish to win today but the football France can play in the quarters is far easier on the eye from an entertainment point of view. Might suit us if it’s more open.
    Same goes for Slovakia today, and Iceland tomorrow to an extent. Not really trying to play too much football, either of them.
    Then it’s down to the real business..

• 20 Jail for Ashley // Jun 26, 2016 at 5:01 PM

Was going to take 6/1 on Germany and Belgium going through but just can’t bet on a result I don’t want, what’s the point.

• 21 Ron Knee // Jun 26, 2016 at 5:09 PM

Wow!

• 22 welshgeordie9 // Jun 26, 2016 at 5:35 PM

Still no breakthrough, why am i not surprised, nothing’s changed with our transfer policy, same old rubbish different day.

• 23 Tsunki // Jun 26, 2016 at 5:44 PM

It the right result I suppose. Germany starting to look like you’d expect.

• 24 Jail for Ashley // Jun 26, 2016 at 5:47 PM

welshie me old mucka,
    Put a sheep in it.

• 25 Jail for Ashley // Jun 26, 2016 at 5:49 PM

After my last bet I’ll be devastated if Belgium go through.

• 26 JamesToon // Jun 26, 2016 at 6:00 PM

Germans play the best football, so fluid and enjoyable to watch

• 27 Average_Contents // Jun 26, 2016 at 6:07 PM

Germany have definitely stepped up from the group stages. Always at the right time eh

• 28 welshgeordie9 // Jun 26, 2016 at 6:12 PM

Jail me old mucka, speaking of sheep we are the quarter finals, see if your lot can get there without messing it up.

• 29 welshgeordie9 // Jun 26, 2016 at 6:12 PM

In

• 30 welshgeordie9 // Jun 26, 2016 at 6:15 PM

Gylfi Sigurdsson to score the winner tomorrow with a 30 yard screamer, obviously it will take a swans player to do it.

• 31 welshgeordie9 // Jun 26, 2016 at 6:17 PM

Hungary to win tonight so we don’t have to face Belgium although we did beat them in the qualifiers.

• 32 WWSBRD // Jun 26, 2016 at 6:21 PM

Hopefully Iceland come to play (they won’t) then England can grab a few goals

• 33 Tsunki // Jun 26, 2016 at 6:21 PM

I think if slovakia had been as open as this when we played them we’d have stuffed them as well. Germany’s pressing off the ball is impressive though.

• 34 Jail for Ashley // Jun 26, 2016 at 6:23 PM

welshie me old mucka, I want Hungary to win too

• 35 WWSBRD // Jun 26, 2016 at 6:26 PM

Wales do have a real chance considering they avoid all the big guns until the final

Tsunki
    Completely agree though Germans have found a way through them when we couldn’t

• 36 Tsunki // Jun 26, 2016 at 6:26 PM

Iceland will do exactly what everyone else has tried against England and tbf managed quite well to do. Park the bus, hoof and catch on the break.

• 37 Tsunki // Jun 26, 2016 at 6:29 PM

Yo, I said before the knockout rounds mean playing percentages won’t work (unless you are absolutely certain you will win on penalties). However I think iceland fancy us to be firing blanks on goal again. So it’s not unlikely they will sucker us with a late goal. They’ve played out of their skin so far.

• 38 WWSBRD // Jun 26, 2016 at 6:34 PM

Tsunki
    I agree but it’s disappointing. They can’t match us in quality and parking the bus is their best chance BUT it’s not entertaining showing such little ambition. People slated Ronaldo about his comments about them but he wasn’t entirely wrong imo

• 39 Jail for Ashley // Jun 26, 2016 at 6:35 PM

welshie me old Dutch plate,
    I’ll change my username to JfA welshgeordie09sson if we don’t beat them tomorrow!

• 40 Belfast // Jun 26, 2016 at 6:35 PM

I think this game could be over.

• 41 welshgeordie9 // Jun 26, 2016 at 6:41 PM

That’s alright jail you keep your name don’t want to be jinxed if you did swap.

Ha ha ha

• 42 Tsunki // Jun 26, 2016 at 6:42 PM

It is disappointing, especially as they must know they’ll never win the competition like that. Look at Slovakia now, they had all 11 men in the box when we were in their half, the Germans encounter five at most. They get found out sooner or later, I expect Iceland will be the last of those teams.

• 43 welshgeordie9 // Jun 26, 2016 at 6:42 PM

Well at least there’s been more action and goals today than yesterday.

• 44 Tsunki // Jun 26, 2016 at 6:43 PM

Belfast I think in another five to ten minutes you could be bang on.

• 45 welshgeordie9 // Jun 26, 2016 at 6:44 PM

Seems weird this tournament not watching Holland play.

• 46 WWSBRD // Jun 26, 2016 at 6:47 PM

Tsunki
    I hope so mate and I hope England get to show some teeth because we’ve played very well so far be a shame to not give someone a kicking

• 47 Jail for Ashley // Jun 26, 2016 at 6:57 PM

welshie me auld China, it’s even more weird watching Wales in colour at a major tournament.

• 48 Tsunki // Jun 26, 2016 at 6:57 PM

it’s ridiculous welshie the Dutch have produced some of the finest football moments in would cups for as long as I can remember. They’ve really dropped their standards in the last few years.

• 49 Tsunki // Jun 26, 2016 at 6:58 PM

World.

• 50 martoon // Jun 26, 2016 at 7:15 PM

I think England have been okay with hopefully better things to come. If we can get an early goal then Iceland will be forced to come forward and we should see a good game, if not then it could be a dour, frustrating game.

• 51 Tsunki // Jun 26, 2016 at 7:20 PM

Martoon I hope Roy and his Rivers have learned it’s straight out the traps and gave me with an early goal. If we pound them straight off and get one I think we’ll bag a four goal haul.

• 52 Tsunki // Jun 26, 2016 at 7:21 PM

Rovers good grief

• 53 Jib // Jun 26, 2016 at 7:24 PM

I’m not sure , but , I think this could be the first time 2 non EU countries have played each other in the final stages of the Euros.

• 54 welshgeordie9 // Jun 26, 2016 at 7:36 PM

Jail, do me a favour, just worry about England and i will worry about Wales, alright honey.

• 55 welshgeordie9 // Jun 26, 2016 at 7:36 PM

COME ON HUNGARY

• 56 welshgeordie9 // Jun 26, 2016 at 7:37 PM

Still no news on transfers then.

• 57 martoon // Jun 26, 2016 at 7:38 PM

Tsunki – Roy and his Rivers has a certain ring to it – sounds like a pop group 🙂
    Just watching big Al and Henry next to him – how many premiership goals between them – must be approaching 600 (I know I could Google it)?

• 58 sobadithurts // Jun 26, 2016 at 7:48 PM

This blog has completely gone to the dogs. eg.
    Martoon- why the fak do you feel the need to post a completely inane comment such as that?
    (57) Do you really need to to do so for attention?

• 59 martoon // Jun 26, 2016 at 7:53 PM

sobadithurts – You mean as opposed to your genius, insightful comments?

• 60 martoon // Jun 26, 2016 at 7:55 PM

sobadithurts – I’m still waiting ……………………………..

• 61 lesh // Jun 26, 2016 at 7:58 PM

No signings yet eh? I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Charmless wasn’t trying his hardest to get players in. He is after all Ashley’s puppet and we all know who pulls his strings!

The only way that Rafa could feel confident that Charnley was really trying is by sitting on the twerp, watching and listening to his every move.

Despite promises, leopards don’t change their spots s do they.

• 62 Jail for Ashley // Jun 26, 2016 at 8:03 PM

Lothar Matthoos
    So methodically correct, the tool 🙂

• 63 Jib // Jun 26, 2016 at 8:10 PM

sobadithurts // Mar 27, 2016 at 8:33 PM
    You lot are such a boring bunch of self important b itches. This used to be a football related blog.
    sobadithurts // Feb 21, 2016 at 8:06 PM
    Jesper,Jail.Tsunki,Jib,Belfast,Hibbitt (how dare you use that name)Betty et al : This used to be a decent blog before you lot of ego driven tessers believed it was all about you. You should really consider getting some form of life instead of using a fans blog to big yourselves up. I bet there are hundreds like me who are fed up with your childish ‘banter’. Why don’t you just move over to tw@tter or something and ‘follow’ each other you sad bastardos.
    sobadithurts // Sep 22, 2013 at 8:31 PM

I was born a Geordie and was a season ticket holder for many a year until work forced me to leave the region
    . A lot of you are probably aware that we Newcastle supporters are perceived by an awful lot of people as deluded and uneducated.
    Unfortunately the majority of you on this site provide the ammunition to support that view. When posting in future please at least attempt to get your grammar and spelling somewhere close to correct so that I am not constantly reminded by my colleagues that I come from an area of low-brow sub-intellectual retards. Thank you.

I have a feeing this is Mr Tuff
    Every one of those posts is about 8pm on a Sunday
    I should have been a detective me !

• 64 welshgeordie9 // Jun 26, 2016 at 8:11 PM

lesh

That’s why I’m not optimistic of us getting anyone in and if we do they are going to be average signings, we never do good business in the transfer market.

• 65 welshgeordie9 // Jun 26, 2016 at 8:13 PM

Looks like we will be playing Belgium next, oh well it’s been a good tournament.

• 66 Jail for Ashley // Jun 26, 2016 at 8:17 PM

Jiberish,
    How could you possibly put that down to Tuff.

• 67 martoon // Jun 26, 2016 at 8:25 PM

Jib @63 – It’s probably a regular poster taking the p but I don’t think it is Tuff – it’s not his style.

• 68 Yo-yo // Jun 26, 2016 at 8:28 PM

Welsh

Last time we played them in Cardiff we beat Belgium, so at least we’ve got their measure. Our CBs wouldn’t have let them have a free header.

Just hope lightning strikes twice

• 69 Jail for Ashley // Jun 26, 2016 at 8:29 PM

Couldnt do it. Sit here cheering Belgium just cozy I had money on it!

• 70 sing in the corner // Jun 26, 2016 at 8:36 PM

Yo yo
    Has Ashley Williams’ prosthetic arm been repaired?

• 71 Jib // Jun 26, 2016 at 8:53 PM

Jail
    Jesper,Jail.Tsunki,Jib,Belfast,Hibbitt (how dare you use that name)Betty – fed up with your childish ‘banter’

If it was genuine , Mr Tuff would be the first name connected with childish banter.

He’s so thick he forgot to include his own name
    😀

• 72 Yo-yo // Jun 26, 2016 at 9:02 PM

Sing

Ashley is the worst of our three CBs TBH

• 73 welshgeordie9 // Jun 26, 2016 at 9:17 PM

Yo_yo

Don’t agree with that mate, if he was then he wouldn’t be the captain or swans captain.

• 74 Mister Tuff // Jun 26, 2016 at 9:17 PM

Woah – Jib taking liberties – that post earlier from sobadithurts has nothing to do with me.
    Nice try Jib – but wrong again -a phrase which I bet you hear numerous times per day.

What about your blog boss Ian Toons’ letter earlier – do you feel jilted.

• 75 Tsunki // Jun 26, 2016 at 9:18 PM

Could be a nice deflection though couldn’t it? Jib.

• 76 Tsunki // Jun 26, 2016 at 9:19 PM

I’d go with another of Ian’s personas.

• 77 martoon // Jun 26, 2016 at 9:19 PM

I have to say while Belgium are very good going forward Hungary are getting at their defence which definitely gives hope for Wales.
    Also Kadar has made some good interceptions but also made a lot of silly mistakes which normally involve giving the ball away – I can see why we let him go.

• 78 sing in the corner // Jun 26, 2016 at 9:23 PM

Belgium’s kit is making me nauseous, looks like a laundry malfunction!

• 79 martoon // Jun 26, 2016 at 9:29 PM

sitc @ 78 – Not quite as bad as Portugal’s last night – that was even worse.

• 80 Jib // Jun 26, 2016 at 9:38 PM

Is that Harpo Marx ?
    No it’s Marouane Fellaini !

• 81 Belfast // Jun 26, 2016 at 9:39 PM

Stuck a tenner on Belgium to win it pre tournament. Still in the mix anyway 🙂

• 82 Belfast // Jun 26, 2016 at 9:41 PM

£3 free bet anytime they win. Maybe stick that on Iceland tomorrow night lol

• 83 sing in the corner // Jun 26, 2016 at 9:42 PM

Martoon
    Ha, aye you’ve got a point like! I was fortunate to have missed that game but just had a look at some pics online. Pretty revolting! What is it with attempts to make new colours? Usually minging.. Like some of these new car colours coming out..

• 84 Belfast // Jun 26, 2016 at 9:53 PM

Ian did give one piece of very good advice in that letter……

It’s like a shark sniffing blood: if you’re going swimming with one, it’s a good idea not to deliberately cut yourself in the first place.

• 85 Belfast // Jun 26, 2016 at 9:58 PM

Very informative in my opinion.

• 86 Jib // Jun 26, 2016 at 11:06 PM

Blog Death
    Everyone must be watching Coldplay

• 87 jimmysmith // Jun 27, 2016 at 6:06 AM

For those looking for highlights and full match replays posted soon after final whistle, including Copa America.

• 88 Tsunki // Jun 27, 2016 at 7:20 AM

Jib it looks like all your nodders went to sleep rather than log in and actually agree with you.

• 89 Jib // Jun 27, 2016 at 7:44 AM

Tsunki
    Did you and Jail go to the same night-class to learn how to be really good at missing the point of anything anyone says ?

• 90 sing in the corner // Jun 27, 2016 at 8:10 AM

Coldplay?…..pah! I saw them in Oct 2000 in Newcastle students’ Union for £9.50. S’pose they haven’t done bad for themselves since..

• 91 Jib // Jun 27, 2016 at 8:20 AM

I wonder if Belfast will go to Aldergrove to welcome home the heroes ?

• 92 Jib // Jun 27, 2016 at 8:25 AM

Still no news on the Wijnaldum front.

Roma offer €20 million Rafa wants €30 million

However some Italian sites refer to him as the ex-Newcastle player as if it’s a done deal with just some haggling left.

• 93 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jun 27, 2016 at 8:31 AM

I wonder when Rafa talks about waiting on a club official coming back before the transfer business can begin is he talking about Roma and Wijnaldum?

20 odd million for him could fund 2 or 3 players that actually want to play for us in the championship !

previous post: The Big Improvements Players Will See At The Benton Training Ground

next post: Rafa Benitez A Role Model And Example To His Players