The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Local Lad Keen To Make A Difference Next Season

8:55 am, Monday, June 27th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 47 Comments

20-year-old Geordie Jamie Sterry made his Premier League debut in the final game of the season against Tottenham – when we took them apart 5-1 at St. James’ Park – and the local lad has impressed manager Rafa Benitez.

One of the many areas Rafa is looking to overhaul and get working at the club is the Youth Academy, so we can get a steady stream of good young players coming through to the first team.

Jamie+Sterry+Newcastle+United+v+Tottenham+-SbbtMS4sJKl

Jamie Sterry in action against Spurs

Jamie is really looking forward to the coming season in the Championship and maybe he is one who can break through in this coming season under the coaching of Rafa Benitez.

This is what Sterry has told the Chronicle today:

“I will be staying and want to be part of it.” “I asked to go on loan five or six times last season but they wanted me to stay.”

“They wanted me to get experience with the first team and now I have had the chance to make my debut.”

“Next year I can get a few starts and show what I am made of.”    “I have been up with the first team for a while.”

“I have been in and around it for two years.” “Last season was good for me to learn especially with Rafa Benitez.”

“He is one of the best managers in the world and everybody knows that.”

“We showed in some games last season how good we could be, the Spurs game especially, and how much quality we have.”

“I had been training really well and wanted to show people I was good enough.” “The manager realized that I could play.”

“It was a good feeling to know I could be part of it if I work hard.” “It’s always in your head about making your debut and finally, I have got that.”

“The new season is a chance to kick on.” “It was an incredible feeling to make my debut and it gives you a taste for more.”

Whenever Jamie has been in the first team he showed he can play and we look forward to Jamie and maybe one or two other youngsters like Adam Armstrong, coming through this season in the Championship.

It would certainly help the team and the squad if that happens and they are part of the squad going back into the Premier League next May – hopefully.

Tags: Championship · Coaching · Jamie Sterry · Management · Newcastle News · Newcastle Youth · Other News · Pre-season · Premier League

47 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jail for Ashley // Jun 27, 2016 at 9:08 AM

Is he a centre back ?

• 2 Fostino // Jun 27, 2016 at 9:16 AM

Sterry ..Aarons. ..Armstrong…mbabu..woodman…Anyone else coming through

Woodman
    jamie sterry Curtis good Macauley gillesphey mbabu

Arrons alex gilliead daniel balazer call roberts

Armstong toney

• 3 Jib // Jun 27, 2016 at 9:26 AM

Saido Berahino is about to sign for Stoke City for about £16 million and £70,000 pw.

They had to find a club within commuting distance from the Black Country cos the born again Christian needs to see his mum every day.
    They fled from Burundi as war refugees when he was a toddler.

WBA really fancy Andros Townsend.

Surely if AT still wants PL footy a solution could be found involving these 2 players and NUFC !

• 4 giimps // Jun 27, 2016 at 9:45 AM

The toon is not really commuting distance to the midlands unless on a train, plane or helicopter, either way is a long way for an everyday commute, I’d much rather we keep Andros and give him a chance in a front 3 with Aaron’s and Mitrovic ,tiote Dejong and colback as midfield generals ,Dummet, janmaat/Anita lascelles, mbemba and Darlow/Kul/Elliott , when teams are sitting deep, use Arma instead of mitrovic and keep the ball on the floor, intricate passing rather than mitrovic as a sledge hammer……wel get a chance in the 1st few games without mitrovic anyway since he’s banned……..maybe Saivet for Tiote if he goes, and Mbabu if janmaat and Anita go, I guess it all depends on who’s coming and going……but I definitely want Andros to stay

• 5 carl // Jun 27, 2016 at 9:48 AM

“And Rafa will have taken a good look at some of the young players he has right now and will have seen that right-back Jamie is one who is near the first team.”

• 6 Blofal // Jun 27, 2016 at 9:50 AM

I have a feeling Rafa will keep everyone at the club Sissoko, Janmaat and Wijnaldum included.

There have been a lot of mid table clubs linked with our players but I don’t think those clubs have the means to pay the kind of silly money it would take for Rafa to sell. Certainly not WBA and Palace.

• 7 expatmag // Jun 27, 2016 at 9:55 AM

Blofal

I expect Sissoko Wijnaldum Krul Janmaat Cisse and Tiote all to go at least

• 8 expatmag // Jun 27, 2016 at 9:57 AM

On Townsend

Why would he buy a house in the area if he were planning on leaving?

• 9 Jib // Jun 27, 2016 at 10:00 AM

xpat
    There ya go
    Put Berahino’s mum in Townsends house
    😀

• 10 Jib // Jun 27, 2016 at 10:01 AM

Expat – even

• 11 Jail for Ashley // Jun 27, 2016 at 10:11 AM

With Mike Williamson out on loan at Wolverhampton Wanderers, McClaren is now looking to the future in the centre-back area.

And after impressing in the reserves under Peter Beardsley, Sterry has been handed another chance on the bench.

• 12 jimmysmith // Jun 27, 2016 at 10:15 AM

He’ll sanction sales if the money’s right, and if he’s sure he can at the very least adequately replace whoever goes at the same time, and replacing a top class player when you’re in the Championship is bordering on impossible. The easier thing to do, although still not easy, is to convince your better players to stay, which I imagine is exactly what he’s doing as a priority..

• 13 Jail for Ashley // Jun 27, 2016 at 10:26 AM

I’m guessing then that he’s a right sided defender who can play both CB and RB making him and Dummer ideal for the bench.

• 14 Jail for Ashley // Jun 27, 2016 at 10:28 AM

Dummet

• 15 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 27, 2016 at 10:30 AM

The official site list Sterry as a Right Back, but there is also a story about McWally promoting him to the senior squad to replace Willo, who obviously is a CB. So it’s not entirely clear.

• 16 Jail for Ashley // Jun 27, 2016 at 10:31 AM

I’m not sure what they’ll do at CB, is a Lascelles/Mbemba partnership the future, if not which one does he drop. Does he see Dummet as the clubs permanent LB, I’ve got a feeling he will as it’s going to be hard attracting a top LB here at the moment.

• 17 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 27, 2016 at 10:33 AM

Jail

Yeah, that makes sense.

Also, it’s often a case that young defenders start out as full backs in senior sides, until.strength and stamina improves.

• 18 carl // Jun 27, 2016 at 10:37 AM

Dummett
    You couldn’t make it up!!

• 19 carl // Jun 27, 2016 at 10:39 AM

Jib
    I take it there is still no transfer developments?

• 20 carl // Jun 27, 2016 at 10:40 AM

Yes Saylor made his first team debut at FB.

• 21 jimmysmith // Jun 27, 2016 at 10:46 AM

Move Dummett over as Saylor’s replacement, then sell him at the end of the season and upgrade. Get a good young legitimate prospective epl left back in now to compete with Haidarra.

• 22 Jail for Ashley // Jun 27, 2016 at 10:50 AM

Jimmy,
    Don’t you think Dummet will be the permanent LB next season.

• 23 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 27, 2016 at 10:55 AM

Dummet is good enough as a squad player once we get back in the prem. Fans have a history of being overly harsh on our back up defenders. Dummet has proved himslef solid on multiple occasions, both at LB and CB, and has had some good wingers in his pocket a few times. Danny simson and Perchinho are other examples of utility defenders who were unreasonably regarded as sh1te.

• 24 jimmysmith // Jun 27, 2016 at 10:56 AM

I think he’s a Centre Back and probably not an Epl one, but he’d have the season to show his worth. He seems ideal third fourth choice in that role in the Championship. Then we just need a left back for this season and beyond. I don’t think that’s Dummett.

• 25 Jib // Jun 27, 2016 at 10:56 AM

carl
    All quiet on the Western Front

Rafa keeps his cards very close to his chest.

Liverpool supporting mates tell me this is his modus operandi – not a sniff or a clue – then they opened the Echo and bosh another signing revealed !!!

• 26 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 27, 2016 at 10:57 AM

The problem comes when they are first choice for most of the season. Ideal back ups, preferably for a couple of world class players.

• 27 Jail for Ashley // Jun 27, 2016 at 11:00 AM

Jimmy,
    I don’t see him as an EPL LB but a good third/fourth choice as CB as he is handy to have on the bench, it is rare for a club to have four CB’s all of the same quality.

• 28 carl // Jun 27, 2016 at 11:05 AM

Jib
    Thanks. Let’s hope it’s biff bash bosh!

• 29 G // Jun 27, 2016 at 11:06 AM

I think Dummy has proved his worth at LB, fair enough I’m not saying he’s brilliant, but I don’t see him as having been disgraced either. Haidara will be first choice LB I think, assuming he gets over his injury woes, and give Rafa the chance to see what he can do.

• 30 carl // Jun 27, 2016 at 11:06 AM

Jinky Jimmy
    What about the Aussie Curtis, is he ever going to be declared fit?

• 31 Jail for Ashley // Jun 27, 2016 at 11:12 AM

Another sticky thumbprint

• 32 jimmysmith // Jun 27, 2016 at 11:18 AM

Yeah Good is another legitimate option at CB if fit. I’d like to see Collocini stay on for his experience to support the other much younger four as they come along. 5 CB’s might be useful with the extra games. Then maybe and hopefully you’ll only need to replace Collo with the one top quality Centre Back as we go up.

• 33 Jail for Ashley // Jun 27, 2016 at 11:24 AM

Jimmy,
    I would like to see the back of Collocini for good along with his losing mentality, he’s a huge reminder of what’s been wrong with the club.

• 34 loonie-toon // Jun 27, 2016 at 11:25 AM

What’s people’s thoughts on messi retireing from international football.

• 35 Jail for Ashley // Jun 27, 2016 at 11:28 AM

loonie toon,
    A strange decision seeing as a WC is only two years away.

• 36 jimmysmith // Jun 27, 2016 at 11:34 AM

Yeah sure, it may be time to let him go, he certainly has played in a succession of very ordinary Newcastle sides, but players of his calibre rarely play in the Championship and frankly we’ve had many far far worse players in his time, which strikes me as having been far and away the bigger problem. But yeah, if it isn’t now its certainly this time next year, so he’s far from indispensable, but I’d still prefer to keep him because he’ll be easier to replace once we’ve regained our place in the top flight.

• 37 Jib // Jun 27, 2016 at 11:36 AM

He’ll be 31 and it’s in Russia , he has ambitions for a final swansong in the EPL – I can see where he’s coming from

• 38 Jail for Ashley // Jun 27, 2016 at 11:42 AM

I don’t see how playing one more WC affects his PL ambitions.

• 39 Jail for Ashley // Jun 27, 2016 at 11:43 AM

Jimmy,
    If he’s still contracted he might not be going anywhere, another £4M buys a lot of pesos.

• 40 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jun 27, 2016 at 11:47 AM

Would be good if Sterry could make the step up and get some regular game time would save us a bit of money to spend on other positions!

Hopefully we get a breakthrough this week as watching some of the bigger teams now starting to sign players might mean we get someone from Man Utd or Liverpool on the sly …. Lingard, Rashford or Ibe would be good!!

• 41 Mister Tuff // Jun 27, 2016 at 11:57 AM

Bit quiet on the blog today. Should pick up a bit as we near the game tonight.

I see carl (lower c)/Ian Toon has asked Jib’s “News Service” what is happening today.
    Does carl not know about the News Now aggregator.
    A phoney post if I ever heard one – a cringing and sycophantic effort.

Jib Jibberish says Messi wants to play in the EPL. Who said that – certainly not Messi -words from Messis’ own mouth below. Seems Jib knows more about Messis’ intention that Messi does himself.
    All from Jibs’ quality news service.

Messi quotes.
    But Messi said: “I’ve always said that I can’t leave Barcelona. It’s always my response. I want to finish my career at home and my home is Barcelona.

“Football changes so much. A year ago, we were all getting criticised and we ended up winning nearly everything. My intention is to terminate my career where it started, in Barcelona.”

• 42 carl // Jun 27, 2016 at 11:59 AM

Spoof!!

• 43 loonie-toon // Jun 27, 2016 at 12:00 PM

I fink messi made rash decion with him missing one of the pens played a part and wonder wen this first signing comming threw door for us cart wait lol

• 44 Mister Tuff // Jun 27, 2016 at 12:05 PM

Evidence now emerging that Jib Jibberish does not live in Sunderland or in Spain – but in the United States.

• 45 Jail for Ashley // Jun 27, 2016 at 12:08 PM

loonie toon,
    It would take 250/300K a week to bring him to the EPL. I take it you’re not from here.

• 46 Mister Tuff // Jun 27, 2016 at 12:10 PM

It is understood that prior to the police attending the incident at Jib’s shack Jib had sought assistance from carl/Ian Toon to assist in the hostage situation.
    carl/Ian Toon did attend – wearing his fighting kit -well prepared to fight the criminal moggie.
    A photo was obtained of the rescuer as he got to Jibs shack.

• 47 giimps // Jun 27, 2016 at 12:13 PM

Maybe messi is contemplating leaving then returning to Barca, unlikely but he’s young enough and will undoubtedly be good enough in 6 years to still play at the very highest level…..I wonder if he fancies a few easy games in the championship to extend his career……one can dream?

previous post: Rafa Benitez A Role Model And Example To His Players