The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Update On Andros Townsend – It’s Not Particularly Good

6:47 pm, Tuesday, June 28th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 62 Comments

There was news last night that Crystal Palace had activated Andros Townsend release clause in his contract for about £13M and that terms had even been agreed with the player.

That report was in French daily L’Equipe, but both the Chronicle  and Sky Sports have today said Newcastle have yet to receive an official bid for their talented 24 year-old England winger.

But a bid from Crystal Palace, who are now under new American owners, is said to be imminent.

andros townsend swansea 876

Andros Townsend could leave Newcastle

Once the release clause is activated in a contract, it’s as if a transfer price has been agreed between the two clubs and Palace will be allowed to talk terms with Andros.

After that, it’s essentially up to Andros to make the decision and if he’s offered fantastic wages by Palace,  he could leave and return immediately to the Premier League.

The new American owners are putting some big money into the London club.

We don’t know if Newcastle will try to counter-bid, but there was news a few weeks ago that Benitez had already met with Andros.

That may happen or the nightmare scenario plays itself out and Andros decides to leave Newcastle for Crystal Palace.

Andros could even be fighting for his place since back in London since Palace already have a couple of good wingers in Wilfried Zaha and Yannick Bolasie.

The 24-year-old scored 4 great goals in 13 appearances for us last season and he was second in our Player of the Season poll.

But it’s an early test on whether Rafa can keep his best players at Newcastle in England’s second division for the coming season.

We are obviously hoping that Andros will agree to stay on Tyneside.

PS – Here’s Townsend’s Twitter account.

Tags: Andros Townsend · Championship · Contracts · Newcastle News · Premier League · Transfer News and Rumours

62 responses so far ↓

• 1 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jun 28, 2016 at 6:49 PM

I think what will happen is Palace will activate his release clause which will get other teams involved and thats when we may lose him ! If West Ham or Everton come in for him then I think he would leave as its a good prospect !

I just cant see Palace being an attractive enough prospect for him and neither are Watford or West Brom

Money talks though if someone offers him 80k a week to come back into the premiership….

• 2 Toon Tang // Jun 28, 2016 at 7:03 PM

Dont do it Andros marra, you’ll be ‘Pardewed’ within the hour.

• 3 AncientC // Jun 28, 2016 at 7:11 PM

“The news was that he told Andros that the club (meaning Rafa himself) were willing to offer him a wage hike up to £75K/week from the £55K/week he’s currently getting.”

I think I would rather club got its money back on him, than give him £75k a week, for a few months of form.

Townsend started to show some form at the end of the season, but Euro 2016 was on the horizon…

Hardly the finished article.

• 4 Mister Tuff // Jun 28, 2016 at 7:18 PM

More Rubbish.

Jack Root // Jun 28, 2016 at 4:39 PM
    Tuff
    Required reading for my job is that I also read the FT, Economist and a few other publications.
    You are stereotyping a fellow Geordie by your narrow view on not only the region but the aspirations of young people. I remember expat telling the blog that you used to handle the security for nightclubs. So what!!

Firstly, you clearly do not follow instructions from your employer – in that you Have to read several newspapers.
    I suspect this is untrue – probably your boss said …………and you wrap the fish and chips in these old papers.

Stereotyping – no just exposing a knobber.

Interesting to learn I worked in the security at night clubs. No I haven’t – never worked in/ near/for a nightclub(s) in my life.

Just stop your blog mischief and trickery.

• 5 Rotonda heights // Jun 28, 2016 at 7:20 PM

ancient

Have to say that under Rafa’s tutelage AT really surprised me. would now be very sad if he does go. I guess we still have aarons, fitness permitting.

• 6 nearly // Jun 28, 2016 at 7:27 PM

bye bye andros

dont stress he will be replaced

• 7 welshgeordie9 // Jun 28, 2016 at 7:32 PM

Mister Tuff

Will you stop moaning, that’s all you’ve done today, talk football instead of picking arguments.

• 8 carl // Jun 28, 2016 at 7:34 PM

This is a football blog but Tuff seems to be outwardly visibly fighting his personal demons. I came on here last night trouble free and had a good football chat, because he wasn’t around. I will give it a miss tonight.

• 9 welshgeordie9 // Jun 28, 2016 at 7:34 PM

It’d up to Benitez if Townsend leaves, doesn’t matter if palace activates his contract.

• 10 Essex Geordie Bill // Jun 28, 2016 at 7:35 PM

I said that I will never comment again on this blog but as a leave voter I want to express my disgust at the radical loonies who are using my vote (and others) as an excuse to incite racial hatred.

I believe most of the people on the blog feel the same way,
    My vote was never to do with immigration.

Anyway back to the wilderness!

• 11 AncientC // Jun 28, 2016 at 7:36 PM

Rotonda heights: I would be happy for Townsend to stay, but I doubt he can carry on his good form throughout an entire season. I see no reason why he is due a pay rise based on 2 or 3 goals from outside the box.

I remember Wayne Routledge ‘consistently’ setting the flank on fire with his pace, the last time we played in the Championship. How much did Routledge set the club back?

Townsend has done well, but still tends to look like a gamble. An expensive player that did not help save the club from relegation… who knows what he will be like for whichever club he plays for next season.

• 12 welshgeordie9 // Jun 28, 2016 at 7:36 PM

carl

Don’t let anyone stop you coming on this blog, you’ve got a right just like everyone else.

• 13 Harley // Jun 28, 2016 at 7:37 PM

No new news there then. We all know clubs are going to come along and pay the fee. The question is will he think it’s a good career move.
    I’m with LCBP, there’s only really West Ham, Everton and Southampton appealing enough to go to. Obviously I’m assuming he doesn’t want a top 4 club as he’s had that and wasn’t happy.

• 14 MrToon // Jun 28, 2016 at 7:41 PM

If he decides to go to palace, I would happily take Jason punchion in his place

• 15 WWSBRD // Jun 28, 2016 at 7:42 PM

Real shame to lose him but understandable I’d wish him good luck

Be quite a statement of he turned them down though haha

• 16 welshgeordie9 // Jun 28, 2016 at 7:48 PM

I wonder if our signings will be players that haven’t been mentioned becasue that goalkeeper we close to signing we knew nothing about that him.

• 17 welshgeordie9 // Jun 28, 2016 at 7:49 PM

Because.

• 18 Belfast // Jun 28, 2016 at 7:51 PM

Wouldn’t like to lose him, but wouldn’t want to pay him 75 grand a week in the championship either.

• 19 welshgeordie9 // Jun 28, 2016 at 7:53 PM

Don’t know if anyone have seen this.

Lee Ryder – Verified account ?@lee_ryder

Matz Sels understood to have passed his medical with #NUFC . Final touches to the deal taking place.

• 20 Belfast // Jun 28, 2016 at 7:54 PM

Would be a bit of a sham to get a 20 grand pay rise after relegation.

• 21 Jail for Ashley // Jun 28, 2016 at 8:09 PM

welsh,
    (c)arl will never stop posting on the blog as won’t Ian, Jack Root or sack Llambias. He loves coming on here to stir things up while pretending to be only interested in football chat. He has been caught red handed with so many clangers linking all his different aliases. He is the most devisive turd that ever posted on here.

• 22 AncientC // Jun 28, 2016 at 8:10 PM

It would be interesting to find out if the club still pays the full amount upfront for players. Did the club pay all of the £13 million for Townsend, and can the club only expect installments if Townsend is sold (release clause) for a similar fee?

The club could be doubly out of pocket for funds this summer, if so.

• 23 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jun 28, 2016 at 8:12 PM

@Welsh

Liverpool fans I know said that Benitez used to sign players out of nowhere and the only time they heard was when the player was coming for signing talks

It should hopefully mean that we are not signing anyone we are linked with although I would love us to sign Lewis Dunk ! Think he would be top drawer under Benitez !

• 24 Jail for Ashley // Jun 28, 2016 at 8:15 PM

It’s about time Andyros stopped hedging his bets and made a statement I think.

• 25 GeordieTwo // Jun 28, 2016 at 8:16 PM

There has been a lot of complaining aboot Brexit lately. But what about Toonxit? We are out of the Prem. Is that good for us or the Prem? No. There should be a referendum to decide whether to put us back up and Sunderland in our place in the Championship. It’s for the best…..

• 26 GeordieTwo // Jun 28, 2016 at 8:20 PM

Sunderland aren’t really good enough to be in the Prem anyway. And they don’t have Rafa. Now just be reasonable you mackem lot……

• 27 carl // Jun 28, 2016 at 8:20 PM

Welsh Geordie
    WelshGeordie.
    Please don’t believe the lies. This is something I posted back in 2007. I was a big fan of Sir Bobby and never trusted Shepherd.

8carl // Jun 3, 2007 at 11:12 AM

we should get an online petition on the go and send it to st.james that we want shepherd out.

• 28 GeordieTwo // Jun 28, 2016 at 8:22 PM

Plus we’re dead sexy in our black and whites….

• 29 Hail Wor Ashley // Jun 28, 2016 at 8:24 PM

Couldn’t make it up. First signing of the summer a GK for £4m.

Nobody upon nobody thought we needed a GK.

Still waste, still lack of urgency, still lack of priorities. The circus rumbles on.

• 30 Jail for Ashley // Jun 28, 2016 at 8:32 PM

Post a link to that (c)arl and even so what’s stopping Ian Toon being your second or third alias
    Give it up man, every man and his dog know what your up to.

• 31 carl // Jun 28, 2016 at 8:38 PM

mentioning I Toon but I haven’t seen him post for months. He’s another one driven away by you and your dad. You should give it up man!

• 32 dannitoon // Jun 28, 2016 at 8:40 PM

U talk utter shite…

• 33 GeordieTwo // Jun 28, 2016 at 8:46 PM

It’s not clear Palace will get Townsend. I don’t think it’s a slam dunk. He’ll be thinking about this very carefully. The next couple of years are crucial for his development. Would you want to learn from Rafa or Alan Mildew? I know who I would pick.

• 34 GeordieTwo // Jun 28, 2016 at 8:46 PM

Mildew for England!
    Boom, boom, boom boom boom!!!

• 35 Jail for Ashley // Jun 28, 2016 at 8:49 PM

(c)arl, you said he wasn’t posting because he was in America which everyone knows.

• 36 Back Door Man // Jun 28, 2016 at 8:50 PM

As Woy, like most before him, inched brokenly towards the climax of his failure and ever closer towards the gathering toxic media shitstorm, it was obvious to me (and I bet, most of us) that the English players just lack the skills to compete at tournament level.

Poor close control, wayward passing, hopeless positional play, a chronic failure to cross the ball acurately, a sneering lack of enjoyment on their ugly mugs, all point to a group of players out of their depth.

The only winners to emerge from this are those who bought shares in effigy-making companies and, of course, the halibat suckers.

• 37 Back Door Man // Jun 28, 2016 at 8:54 PM

JfA@24 … spot on. Townsend’s stance similar to Sissoko’s – “come and get me”.

• 38 Belfast // Jun 28, 2016 at 8:55 PM

I’m actually surprised the England shambles hasn’t been blamed on not having a winter break.

That one usually does the rounds after they exit.

• 39 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jun 28, 2016 at 8:57 PM

Hail wor ashley I’d have said with krul on his way and Elliot injured until November/December time, a goalkeeper was a pretty obvious necessity

• 40 jimmysmith // Jun 28, 2016 at 8:57 PM

I hope all our players stay but in reality I wouldn’t pay Townsend 75k in the Championship, nor Colo the money he is on, and I’d sell Krull rather than let him go on a free at the end of the season, same with Tiote, but their departures will weaken the squad, and it will be difficult to limit the losses to just those four. We have significant problems as a result of this relegation, and the Rafa effect doesn’t gloss over it.

• 41 Jail for Ashley // Jun 28, 2016 at 8:57 PM

BDM,
    It can’t be a coincidence that we have produced so few managers that would be able to manage at a top club while we have been distinctly average at most tournaments. SBR at Barcelona has probably been the only one in the last forty years. Maybe it is our lack of language skills that prevents us from managing abroad or maybe the FA needs a complete shake up.

• 42 carl // Jun 28, 2016 at 8:58 PM

Its nothing to do with me.

• 43 JamesToon // Jun 28, 2016 at 9:02 PM

BREAKING: DWIGHT GAYLE AGREES PERSONAL TERMS WITH NUFC AHEAD OF £10M MOVE

• 44 carl // Jun 28, 2016 at 9:04 PM

Jimmy
    I have a feeling that we will make a few more signings by Friday which could well address a number of issues. It makes sense to bring people in before contemplating sales. There are still 5 weeks before our first game. Rafa seems to be quite methodical.

• 45 Jail for Ashley // Jun 28, 2016 at 9:07 PM

BDM,
    If Brian Clough had of got the job instead of Graham Taylor in 1990 then it might have been a different story.

• 46 Jail for Ashley // Jun 28, 2016 at 9:09 PM

JT,
    Hope that doesn’t involve Townsend 🙁

• 47 Lindisfarne // Jun 28, 2016 at 9:09 PM

I always thought Andros was a left back.

IMO Joe Hart will be Evertons new keeper based on previous buys but then again Koeman should have more sense.

• 48 jimmysmith // Jun 28, 2016 at 9:13 PM

Bizarre that Clough didn’t get that job. He was a perfect gentleman, unless suffering fools. He may have been hitting the bottle a little hard by 1990 though.

• 49 Jail for Ashley // Jun 28, 2016 at 9:17 PM

Jimmy,
    I was thinking that, he was 54 in 90, but that was near the end of his managerial career with Forest and I think his addiction was the worst kept secret by then, not sure how bad it was at that stage though, he was definitely pizzed up when he smacked that fancy though.

• 50 toonking // Jun 28, 2016 at 9:29 PM

Might be almost a day since the england match was on, just thinking of shome new ways of saying the name of our players, like what we do with players or managers of newcastle ie pardew.

The ones i can change name of

Hart-Tart
    Smalling-Apalling
    Rooney-Looney
    Wilshire-wilshite
    dyer-dire
    delle alli-delle enemy
    Kane-Pain
    ______Tart
    rose__appalling____stones__walker
    ____looney____wilsh1te___

• 51 jimmysmith // Jun 28, 2016 at 9:37 PM

There is a whisper going round in the Aussie media that the FA may appoint Ange Postecoglu. Not so laughable if the top two Englishmen in the frame are Southgate and Pardew, and in light of the appointments of Trevor Bayliss and Eddie Jones. It won’t happen, but Postecoglu is a coach of similar and even perhaps higher quality to Bayliss and Jones.

• 52 lesh // Jun 28, 2016 at 9:44 PM

This Townsend’s nothing less than Pardew getting his own back on Ashley. ‘Look what I can do if given the authority to spend. Whether that helps Townsend progress is for the lad to decide but in his boots, I’d be looking at how many players’ careers Pardew’s ruined.

• 53 jimmysmith // Jun 28, 2016 at 10:02 PM

Carl, I agree of course that Benitez will be reshaping his squad methodically, but he is certainly hamstrung by circumstance. Krul for Sels is the type of transfer we are looking at though, proven quality for potential quality. Even the likes of Gouffran and Rivierre can’t be replaced by guaranteed better players when we are in the Championship.

• 54 Nufc-83 // Jun 28, 2016 at 10:05 PM

people saying wouldn’t offer him 75k a week in the championship… Who the hell cares about what he’s on is it out of your pocket??

He’s our best player by a country mile was a class player at Tottenham it just never worked out there for some reason and he was a class player for QPR. I said worst thing about relegation would be losing Rafa and Townsend so made up on Rafa but would be gutted if we lost him.

• 55 Bobbybee // Jun 28, 2016 at 10:19 PM

The sacking of Hodgson is a game changer. Townsend is ambitious and wants to resume his England career. However, Hodgson’s declaration that Andros would still get selected whilst in the Championship only stood wilst he was boss. This now puts immense pressure on Andros that wasn’t there last week. We saved him from oblivion and Rafa got the best out of him, but I think the odds now have switched to him leaving. I think he wants to stay to pay us back, but the lure of England might win the day. Hope I’m wrong because he could be the difference.

• 56 jimmysmith // Jun 28, 2016 at 10:24 PM

There isn’t a bottomless pit of money. Newcastle will have to cut its cloth to suit its budget to some degree. If the money is spent now, there’ll be less this time next year, when we will just as urgently need it. It’s a fairly fraught balancing act, considering the money we are going to miss out on this season.

• 57 Harley // Jun 28, 2016 at 10:35 PM

Jesus, just checked and that Gayle story is being reported. £10m for Dwight Gayle?!!

• 58 Jail for Ashley // Jun 28, 2016 at 10:36 PM

Bobby,
    He resigned before he was sacked.

• 59 Average_Contents // Jun 28, 2016 at 10:37 PM

How on earth has gayle’s price doubled when he’s done nothing of note since palace signed him? I’ll concede he’s been played out of position with a lot of sub appearances and never a prolonged run in their team (as far as I’m aware) but still, £10+m? You’re avin a larfff geezer.

If we do get him I hope he tears it up in the championship but I wouldn’t hold my breath (1, I’d die and 2, that’d be silly)

• 60 Bobbybee // Jun 28, 2016 at 10:38 PM

Jimmy, I think the hope is that players coming in will be good enough for the PL in a years time. Rafa must see something in this lad. I sais ages ago that the first we’ll know of his signings will be when they’re done. This will throw all the hacks off the trail mate. 😉 All we can do is hope that Rafa’s vast experience plucks us some ripe fruit! 😉

• 61 Bobbybee // Jun 28, 2016 at 10:42 PM

Jail, he could’ve killed himself, the result is exactly the same. He’s not there. Does it matter? Do I pull you up on your many errors? No. As long as you get the gist of the matter, that’ll suit me.

• 62 jimmysmith // Jun 28, 2016 at 10:50 PM

I think that’s the hope too Bobby, but it’s a bit hit and miss, especially considering from the Championship you can’t hope to get the best young talent, and you do have to be very good to play in the EPL, especially for a top half team.

I think our best bet is loans of top young talent from senior sides to see us through this hopefully single season in the Championship, and then be in with a shout of buying them outright once back.

previous post: Three Newcastle Signings Expected This Week

next post: Is This Striker Newcastle’s Next Signing This Week?