Some Of The Best Matz Sels Saves – Video

Here’s a YouTube video of some of Matz Sels top saves from last season when he was voted Belgium’s Goalkeeper of the Season.

matz sels 123

Matz Sels – taking medical at Newcastle

Here they are … and about three minutes in he saves from Anderlecht’s Aleksandar Mitrovic and Chancel Mbemba can be seen in the box too.

Early last season?

• G

Jun 28, 2016 at 1:00 PM

Looks decent, hopefully a good signing for us?

• martoon

Jun 28, 2016 at 1:11 PM

To be fair I could look good in a Youtube compilation video but he must be decent to be voted the best keeper in Belgium – I’m sure Rafa has done his homework. I certainly didn’t see this one coming – I wonder how many more surprises Rafa has up his sleeve?

• jayphoto

Jun 28, 2016 at 1:11 PM

first thoughts of this video is he should really catch about 50% of these saves. Reminds me of Mignolet, very fast reflexes! Looks like hes got a long reach on him for a relatively short (6″2) keeper.
    These videos are nice to watch, but a more informative video whilst less entertaining would be watching him deal with crosses, watching his distribution and how he organises his defence!
    All in all the scout reports about him look great though and he did well against good opposition in the champions league this year! I know a lot disagree but I feel we needed to strengthen the keeper position, it wasn’t a huge problem but I felt we could have better than we have had

• BandB

Jun 28, 2016 at 1:11 PM

Not exactly tipping it round the post, is he?

• martoon

Jun 28, 2016 at 1:12 PM

Incidentally isn’t Matz Sels another name for unleavened bread? 😀

• jayphoto

Jun 28, 2016 at 1:17 PM

also, for someone who is 24, he looks about 40… Perhaps he drank the same water in belgium that Mbemba drank?….
    Scouting reports look promising, Rafa likes a keeper that can sweep and distribute and this guy looks like he can do that, he’s known for his calmness and composure. Positive that hes not another bloody #10 or far too lightweight wide player…

• Ron Knee

Jun 28, 2016 at 1:31 PM

Gomis to SAFC? They deserve each other!

• Jib

Jun 28, 2016 at 1:35 PM

Marilyn Monroe said to Arthur Miller’s parents.

“Don’t they eat any other part of the Matzo”

• U.S Magpie

Jun 28, 2016 at 1:40 PM

Here’s what I like about this signing, its not the fact that he looks good on the You Tube Vid but the fact that we are all surprised about it. Newcastle have always let it slip who they are going after and then we have lost players to other clubs as some of the player are only on there radar when Newcastle show interest. But with Rafa no on knew and that’s why we may get players we are actually after and not lose to another club. Hopefully all the other reports about players we are after are Red herrings and Rafa is tricking everyone, like a magician with slight of hand. Well Ladies and Gents only five more weeks and we start our campaign to get back. I hope we get a few things ironed out over the next few weeks, players in and players out so we can start building.

• jayphoto

Jun 28, 2016 at 1:48 PM

in my opinion we need a goalkeeper, a CB , a LB, a RB and a Striker. A goalkeeper is in, thats 1 down, 4 to go. Lewis Dunk in next would be nice but the fact we’ve taken another Belgian suggests we’re not quite done with the leagues like Belgium and Holland. Theres actually been a few reports in Holland that we’re still looking at Veltman. The fact that sels has joined us from a champions league team, and has turned down PL teams to do so changes my thoughts on what players may be obtainable.

• Ron Knee

Jun 28, 2016 at 1:50 PM

mark Douglas:
    “Interestingly I hear NUFC are hoping to have two more in this week. No guarantees but several deals are at an advanced stage, as Rafa Benitez said last week. No names for you as yet but one is a centre-back, I hear.”

• Jib

Jun 28, 2016 at 1:52 PM

Liverpool had Jerzy Dudek and Chris Kirkland when Rafa arrived.
    Most fans thought they were OK
    He got Reina in fairly quickly and Liverpools goals conceded fell dramatically.

• Jib

Jun 28, 2016 at 1:55 PM

Sels has signed a 5 year contract.

• davetoon

Jun 28, 2016 at 1:56 PM

We always seem to buy in the position we need least

• cjtoon

Jun 28, 2016 at 2:00 PM

Obviously a lot of the transfer activity will be determined by who leaves,

I’m possibly more excited by possible departures (unless its players I don’t want to leave :-p )

I agree with Jay though – Love TK but he has a terrible injury record and he’s not been at his best for a long time

• estechco

Jun 28, 2016 at 2:01 PM

BandB @4 – Were you being ironic? He seems to struggle to hold onto any/all saves, albeit in a spectacular fashion. I suspect he may give away several corners or spoon the ball back into the path of eager strikers? Hope I am just being unnecessarily pessimistic

• Shot Bru

Jun 28, 2016 at 2:04 PM

Davetoon

We have badly needed a keeper who is confident with the ball at his feet and with distribution. It will give the back 4 more confidence and improve our build up play, possession and counter attacking.

Good to hear Rafa is building from the back, if as reported we are in for a CB next.

• Jib

Jun 28, 2016 at 2:09 PM

That’s a Belgian keeper and a Belgian Congolese centre half.
    With M’bemba playing the last 9 of our games last season.
    I can see a pattern

• Mister Tuff

Jun 28, 2016 at 2:18 PM

Jack Root – stop your blog mischief and trickery – or should I now say Jeremy Root – you are not listening.
    Your continual masquerading is insulting and to be truthful very sad. Give it a rest for the sake of the blog.

• EllaGuru

Jun 28, 2016 at 2:23 PM

That’s Tim Krul on his way then? Or Rob Elliot and we are signing this lad as back-up?

• Jack Root

Jun 28, 2016 at 2:24 PM

jayphoto
    I read Jamie Carragher’s autobiography Carra. He mentioned that when Benitez replaced Houllier in 2004 he was faced with a number of poor, overpaid players but that he really didn’t do a lot better than his predecessor in the transfer market. Robbie Keane was a costly mistake and this was confirmed by Virgin Trains newspaper advert saying a Liverpool to London return faster than Robbie Keane. Carragher felt that for all the heavy spending during the Houllier, Benitez time the best players were homegrown and he sings the praises of Rafa.
    After summer of 2009- Benitez’s last transfer window at Liverpool the Sunday Times said that his 6 years at Liverpool he had spent £125 million ( net) that is more more than he had received in fees. In the same period Fergie’s net spend at ManU was £27 million. During a time when ManU had won three PL titles to L’Pool’s none. From 2005- 2009 Benitez had overspent Chelsea on transfers. Carra concludes that spending a lot of money doesn’t guarantee success. It’s said that Rafa has worked out some of the secrets of the transfer market and learnt from the experience of operating at Anfield.

What many pool fans saw as the failure of Benitez was something else again that night in 2005 in Istanbul.

• Back Door Man

Jun 28, 2016 at 2:29 PM

Earlier somebody here asked why on earth would anybody take on the “shit sandwich”  England job … well, Woy did it for 3.5 million reasons.

As the cameras panned along the England players before the game began, I experienced a powerful feeling of revulsion at who they were and what they represented.  Unattractive personalities, vain, entitled and often steeped in shameful and disgusting behaviour.  I wished them ill.  Their weak kneed, yellow-bellied performance during the match just reinforced my impressions.

I found myself rooting for Iceland.

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 28, 2016 at 2:31 PM

Shot Bru,
    I think a change was needed. Four, Five and Six goal hidings are meant to be painful and embarrassing. Tim Krul along with Collocini was getting far to used to them. We need a keeper who’ll lose the plot with his defence if they put him in a position to concede that many.

• Jack Root

Jun 28, 2016 at 2:31 PM

Tuff
    You’ll not drive me off the blog like you have so many.

• martoon

Jun 28, 2016 at 2:33 PM

Jib – To be fair Belgium are producing a lot of good footballers at the moment (not exactly sure why) so you can see the logic.

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jun 28, 2016 at 2:35 PM

Back door

Well, if that is indeed the ONLY reason woy took the job, then that is another thing that needs to change. However, I doubt it was the only reason. He probably thought he could make a go of it, like all before him, and then realised no matter what he did, right or wrong, he would always be shot down from somewhere by some self important pr1ck on some radio station, and that would spread to the beying neanderthal hordes that pass for social media england fans these days.