Breaking News – Dwight Gayle To Have Newcastle Medical

News coming in from Sky Sports that Crystal Palace’s Dwight Gayle is traveling to Newcastle to have a medical prior to his signing on for around £10M from Crystal Palace.

We have been linked with Dwight for a while and it seems he could even be in a part exchange deal – with Andros Townsend going in the opposite direction.

It looks like Dwight could be the next one through the door and announced either today or tomorrow.

Here’s an article we put out earlier today wondering if Dwight would be the next one signed at Newcastle.

Things are starting to heat up at Newcastle.

Good!

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:25 PM

Repost due to manic threads.
    He might not fancy Palace(Townsend) but I’ve got a feeling he’s not commiting in case W Ham or Everton come calling. Possibly even Lpool as he looks better than Sterling at the moment.
    Springy,
    I’m not sure but it’s got a good chance to end in sson 😀

• The overrated Frenchman

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:26 PM

Is it looking like Rafa wants to have small, pacy players up front in the Championahip as a strategy?

• The American

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:29 PM

Let’s see what the young man has to offer. I’m not to sure if I am expecting anything too special though.

• carl

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:31 PM

Sterling plays for Man City..
    Optimism is a force multiplied and Bobby is spot on we need to see what actually happens.

• jazzyp

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:31 PM

Over rated
    Pity we don’t give Arma a chance. He banged in 20 plus goals for Coventry last term. I’m sure he would do the same for his mother team.
    Does really feel like a Rafa signing ??

• expatmag

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:32 PM

He is a good player. Potentially Bellamyesque

He will tip the championship to bits

• Belfast

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:33 PM

Well i’m probably going against blog opinion again (just like Townsend signing) I think this will be a good signing.

• Belfast

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:35 PM

It was division below though Jazzy and you never know Armstrong may get a chance.

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:36 PM

Look at Routledge, was excellent for us in the Championship but didn’t seem to be able to hack it the PL but went on to play very good for Swansea. At least we now have a manager that can get the best out of players.

• MadisonToon

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:37 PM

Jazzyp

Is Armstrong getting loaned out or is that assuming that Gayle will take all of the minutes Armstrong would have had?

I think Cisse might still be off to greener pastures (i.e. $$) so we would at least need to replace. Riviere/Gouffran also hopefully off leaves us with Mitro/Perez/SDJ as our only strikers so with Gayle and Armstrong we’d have a decent core to play 2 up front or 1 up front and have Gayle, Perez and SDJ play either in behind or higher up on the wings.

• G

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:38 PM

Agrees Belfast, whilst I don’t expect him to reach Bellers heights, I do expect him to terrify defences with pace.

• Ron Knee

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:38 PM

I wonder if we’ll see any Spanish players.

• carl

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:39 PM

Belfast
    I’ve seen Gayle a few times against us and he’s been busy and a threat. He scored a couple of goals for Palace in a 3-: draw a few years back.
    We need pace up front. Ritchie is a player full of energy and assists I saw him last season and he is ideal for the Championship in my opinion.

• jazzyp

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:40 PM

Belfast
    I hope he does mate, Because I find Gayle a very uninspiring signing.
    Palace have had 2 or 3 managers since he’s been there and none made him a main stay of the squad. They were willing to sell him last season to Bristol city and even they pulled out of the deal.
    I appreciate we are a championship team now but this sort of player doesn’t feel like we’re moving forward as a club

• Rotonda heights

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:43 PM

jazzy

let’s be honest palace’s last 3 managers: warnock, pulis and pardew are absolute dinosaurs who only know one way.

• jazzyp

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:44 PM

Madison
    Unsure pal re Armstrong.
    Personally if the management don’t think he’s ready for the championship,then he’s never gonna be ready for the Pl next season, Providing we go up at the first attempt of course

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:45 PM

Ian,
    I know who Sterling plays for. It was Lpool who sold him and he is missed. Townsend is playing better than him on last seasons form.

• carl

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:47 PM

I am sure Armstrong will get his chance. We need a bigger squad with options. It’s a good idea to get players in first before releasing any particularly as pre season training starts officially on Friday. Benitez seems to be approaching matters in a methodical way and defenders are up next me thinks.

• carl

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:48 PM

Jail
    Grow up.

• jazzyp

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:49 PM

Rotonda

True buddy, But all the same he’s 25-26 may cut it in the Championship granted.But I don’t see how this is progression

• JamesToon

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:49 PM

jazzyp

You make a valid point, however i’d argue that he suits none of those managers, pardew, warnock and pulis?? hes hardly gonna see much of the ball when its bypassing him most of the time.

Someone made a good article about how Gayle could be a great signing because hes a player who likes to beat defensive lines with his pace, will work the channels and hes a dangerous poacher, and this will perfectly suit Rafa’s 4-2-3-1 system as he likes a striker who will participate in build up play and will work the channels and will get on the end of thriough balls. Rafas system at Liverpool never really perfected until he had torres who had pace and finishing ability.

• JamesToon

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:50 PM

rafa preferred cisse when he first came in because cisse worked the channels more, however cisse was too much of an in between player didnt really have the pace or the aerial ability, whereas Gayle is all about the pace which is what we need imo

• bettyswallocks

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:51 PM

It’s looking more than likely that Townsend is away now. If Matt Ritchie is to be his replacement and if Dwight Gayle is to be our new forward, then these choices will have been made by Rafa. So if we respect Rafa then these players must also be shown respect and allowed a chance to show what they can do for us.

Wading in with heavy handed criticism before they have even kicked a ball proved a big mistake with Townsend and could even have contributed to his departure so can we please give the new lads a chance.

• MadisonToon

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:53 PM

James

Good point there. I think Gayle is a Cisse upgrade in age, likelihood of being offsides, ability to maintain possession, dribbling and speed. If we get our heads out of the clouds and understand that every purchase doesn’t need to be a superstar and instead think about making upgrades to our current squad, this is a solid one.

• carl

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:57 PM

Betty
    I personally welcome homegrown signings to get us promoted out of the Championship. It’s a hell of a slog ahead and were buying the right sort of experience for the task ahead. Benitez can ring the changes this time next year- hopefully !

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:59 PM

Gayle and Richie will destroy the championship and will be good squad competition when we are back in the premiership where Rafa will also look to be able to attract other players of a higher level!

I see the 2 of them as Doumbia and Marveux replacements so the squad has been upgraded big time ha ha

• jazzyp

Jun 29, 2016 at 1:00 PM

Jamestoon

You have just described Arma pal with your assessment of Gayle.
    I would be more than happy if he proves me wrong.But again I find this an uninspiring signing.
    I understand we’re not gonna sign the Pea’s of this world while we frequent the championship. And the squad has to have depth for the riggers of this league.Personally pal would sooner give Arma a chance

• LGFUAD21

Jun 29, 2016 at 1:00 PM

Not hugely enthused by this signing.

He hasnt even done well in Championship but will reserve judgement.

I want to see us sign players that can do a job when we come back up too.

Matt Phillips from QPR would be one of those.
    Matt Richie I would say yes to as well.

Really hope Townsend stays.

I think We have Krul off to Everton. It’ll be sad to see an adopted Geordie go. But I think we can handle it without him. Darlow and Elliott did well last season.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jun 29, 2016 at 1:03 PM

@Jazzyp

I think Armstrong if he is ready will still get game time this season especially in a 40 odd game league

My worry about relying on him is if he goes a few games without scoring and then Mitrovic and Perez still fire blanks then we would struggle to get wins! Best to get some players in that Rafa thinks can score the goals while the young lads learn their trades without the same level of pressure as last season !

• jazzyp

Jun 29, 2016 at 1:04 PM

Apparently the medical team has been upgraded today by Rafa to try and cut out the injuries that keep blighting our seasons

• bettyswallocks

Jun 29, 2016 at 1:06 PM

Carl…… Your approval has been noted. It remains to be seen who comes and how well they play but I firmly believe an open mind is the order of the day.

• Ron Knee

Jun 29, 2016 at 1:08 PM

Apparently Gayle had hamstring problems last season. Should we be worried?

• WWSBRD

Jun 29, 2016 at 1:09 PM

jazzy
    Bristol didn’t pull out of the deal Gayle turned them down

• richyg01

Jun 29, 2016 at 1:09 PM

I think Gayle is decent tbh.

• Shadow_Shearer

Jun 29, 2016 at 1:10 PM

Can somebody explain to me why are we selling townsend, & not loaning him out to palace. We plan to be back in premiership in 1 season anyway.

• BandB

Jun 29, 2016 at 1:10 PM

Townsend was part of the package to save us from relegation, right?
    Some wondered if that package was well judged.
    Not sure how anyone can argue they’ve been proved wrong.

• AncientC

Jun 29, 2016 at 1:11 PM

I was just reading that Dwight Gayle only had 1 year left on his contract, with begs the question: £10 million?

• LGFUAD21

Jun 29, 2016 at 1:12 PM

Shadow_Shearer

Agree.

Some players may be worth loaning out for a season and then seeing what happens.

It’s win/win as their value will likely improve playing well in a top league (if they do) and we can reap the benefits financial or otherwise next season.

• Jib

Jun 29, 2016 at 1:13 PM

2015/2016 was the third season in a row Gayle, despite being unable to hold down a consistent place in the team, finished the season as top scorer in all competitions for Crystal Palace.

• ToonDownSouth

Jun 29, 2016 at 1:16 PM

Incredibly surprised at the negativity towards this signing. Consistently Palace’s top scorer, despite not being a mainstay in the team. And under three managers that I’m sure many would consider defensive dinosaurs.

Could anyone explain what’s NOT positive about this lad dropping down to the Championship with us?