The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Breaking News – Dwight Gayle To Have Newcastle Medical

12:23 pm, Wednesday, June 29th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 78 Comments

News coming in from Sky Sports that Crystal Palace’s Dwight Gayle is traveling to Newcastle to have a medical prior to his signing on for around £10M from Crystal Palace.

We have been linked with Dwight for a while and it seems he could even be in a part exchange deal – with Andros Townsend going in the opposite direction.

It looks like Dwight could be the next one through the door and announced either today or tomorrow.

Here’s an article we put out earlier today wondering if Dwight would be the next one signed at Newcastle.

Things are starting to heat up at Newcastle.

Tags: Contracts · Medical · Newcastle News · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

78 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jail for Ashley // Jun 29, 2016 at 12:25 PM

Repost due to manic threads.
    He might not fancy Palace(Townsend) but I’ve got a feeling he’s not commiting in case W Ham or Everton come calling. Possibly even Lpool as he looks better than Sterling at the moment.
    I’m not sure but it’s got a good chance to end in sson 😀

• 2 The overrated Frenchman // Jun 29, 2016 at 12:26 PM

Is it looking like Rafa wants to have small, pacy players up front in the Championahip as a strategy?

• 3 The American // Jun 29, 2016 at 12:29 PM

Let’s see what the young man has to offer. I’m not to sure if I am expecting anything too special though.

• 4 carl // Jun 29, 2016 at 12:31 PM

Sterling plays for Man City..
    Optimism is a force multiplied and Bobby is spot on we need to see what actually happens.

• 5 jazzyp // Jun 29, 2016 at 12:31 PM

Over rated
    Pity we don’t give Arma a chance. He banged in 20 plus goals for Coventry last term. I’m sure he would do the same for his mother team.
    Does really feel like a Rafa signing ??

• 6 expatmag // Jun 29, 2016 at 12:32 PM

He is a good player. Potentially Bellamyesque

He will tip the championship to bits

• 7 Belfast // Jun 29, 2016 at 12:33 PM

Well i’m probably going against blog opinion again (just like Townsend signing) I think this will be a good signing.

• 8 Belfast // Jun 29, 2016 at 12:35 PM

It was division below though Jazzy and you never know Armstrong may get a chance.

• 9 Jail for Ashley // Jun 29, 2016 at 12:36 PM

Look at Routledge, was excellent for us in the Championship but didn’t seem to be able to hack it the PL but went on to play very good for Swansea. At least we now have a manager that can get the best out of players.

• 10 MadisonToon // Jun 29, 2016 at 12:37 PM

Is Armstrong getting loaned out or is that assuming that Gayle will take all of the minutes Armstrong would have had?

I think Cisse might still be off to greener pastures (i.e. $$) so we would at least need to replace. Riviere/Gouffran also hopefully off leaves us with Mitro/Perez/SDJ as our only strikers so with Gayle and Armstrong we’d have a decent core to play 2 up front or 1 up front and have Gayle, Perez and SDJ play either in behind or higher up on the wings.

• 11 G // Jun 29, 2016 at 12:38 PM

Agrees Belfast, whilst I don’t expect him to reach Bellers heights, I do expect him to terrify defences with pace.

• 12 Ron Knee // Jun 29, 2016 at 12:38 PM

I wonder if we’ll see any Spanish players.

• 13 carl // Jun 29, 2016 at 12:39 PM

I’ve seen Gayle a few times against us and he’s been busy and a threat. He scored a couple of goals for Palace in a 3-: draw a few years back.
    We need pace up front. Ritchie is a player full of energy and assists I saw him last season and he is ideal for the Championship in my opinion.

• 14 jazzyp // Jun 29, 2016 at 12:40 PM

I hope he does mate, Because I find Gayle a very uninspiring signing.
    Palace have had 2 or 3 managers since he’s been there and none made him a main stay of the squad. They were willing to sell him last season to Bristol city and even they pulled out of the deal.
    I appreciate we are a championship team now but this sort of player doesn’t feel like we’re moving forward as a club

• 15 Rotonda heights // Jun 29, 2016 at 12:43 PM

let’s be honest palace’s last 3 managers: warnock, pulis and pardew are absolute dinosaurs who only know one way.

• 16 jazzyp // Jun 29, 2016 at 12:44 PM

Unsure pal re Armstrong.
    Personally if the management don’t think he’s ready for the championship,then he’s never gonna be ready for the Pl next season, Providing we go up at the first attempt of course

• 17 Jail for Ashley // Jun 29, 2016 at 12:45 PM

I know who Sterling plays for. It was Lpool who sold him and he is missed. Townsend is playing better than him on last seasons form.

• 18 carl // Jun 29, 2016 at 12:47 PM

I am sure Armstrong will get his chance. We need a bigger squad with options. It’s a good idea to get players in first before releasing any particularly as pre season training starts officially on Friday. Benitez seems to be approaching matters in a methodical way and defenders are up next me thinks.

• 19 carl // Jun 29, 2016 at 12:48 PM

Grow up.

• 20 jazzyp // Jun 29, 2016 at 12:49 PM

True buddy, But all the same he’s 25-26 may cut it in the Championship granted.But I don’t see how this is progression

• 21 JamesToon // Jun 29, 2016 at 12:49 PM

You make a valid point, however i’d argue that he suits none of those managers, pardew, warnock and pulis?? hes hardly gonna see much of the ball when its bypassing him most of the time.

Someone made a good article about how Gayle could be a great signing because hes a player who likes to beat defensive lines with his pace, will work the channels and hes a dangerous poacher, and this will perfectly suit Rafa’s 4-2-3-1 system as he likes a striker who will participate in build up play and will work the channels and will get on the end of thriough balls. Rafas system at Liverpool never really perfected until he had torres who had pace and finishing ability.

• 22 JamesToon // Jun 29, 2016 at 12:50 PM

rafa preferred cisse when he first came in because cisse worked the channels more, however cisse was too much of an in between player didnt really have the pace or the aerial ability, whereas Gayle is all about the pace which is what we need imo

• 23 bettyswallocks // Jun 29, 2016 at 12:51 PM

It’s looking more than likely that Townsend is away now. If Matt Ritchie is to be his replacement and if Dwight Gayle is to be our new forward, then these choices will have been made by Rafa. So if we respect Rafa then these players must also be shown respect and allowed a chance to show what they can do for us.

Wading in with heavy handed criticism before they have even kicked a ball proved a big mistake with Townsend and could even have contributed to his departure so can we please give the new lads a chance.

• 24 MadisonToon // Jun 29, 2016 at 12:53 PM

Good point there. I think Gayle is a Cisse upgrade in age, likelihood of being offsides, ability to maintain possession, dribbling and speed. If we get our heads out of the clouds and understand that every purchase doesn’t need to be a superstar and instead think about making upgrades to our current squad, this is a solid one.

• 25 carl // Jun 29, 2016 at 12:57 PM

I personally welcome homegrown signings to get us promoted out of the Championship. It’s a hell of a slog ahead and were buying the right sort of experience for the task ahead. Benitez can ring the changes this time next year- hopefully !

• 26 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jun 29, 2016 at 12:59 PM

Gayle and Richie will destroy the championship and will be good squad competition when we are back in the premiership where Rafa will also look to be able to attract other players of a higher level!

I see the 2 of them as Doumbia and Marveux replacements so the squad has been upgraded big time ha ha

• 27 jazzyp // Jun 29, 2016 at 1:00 PM

You have just described Arma pal with your assessment of Gayle.
    I would be more than happy if he proves me wrong.But again I find this an uninspiring signing.
    I understand we’re not gonna sign the Pea’s of this world while we frequent the championship. And the squad has to have depth for the riggers of this league.Personally pal would sooner give Arma a chance

• 28 LGFUAD21 // Jun 29, 2016 at 1:00 PM

Not hugely enthused by this signing.

He hasnt even done well in Championship but will reserve judgement.

I want to see us sign players that can do a job when we come back up too.

Matt Phillips from QPR would be one of those.
    Matt Richie I would say yes to as well.

Really hope Townsend stays.

I think We have Krul off to Everton. It’ll be sad to see an adopted Geordie go. But I think we can handle it without him. Darlow and Elliott did well last season.

• 29 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jun 29, 2016 at 1:03 PM

I think Armstrong if he is ready will still get game time this season especially in a 40 odd game league

My worry about relying on him is if he goes a few games without scoring and then Mitrovic and Perez still fire blanks then we would struggle to get wins! Best to get some players in that Rafa thinks can score the goals while the young lads learn their trades without the same level of pressure as last season !

• 30 jazzyp // Jun 29, 2016 at 1:04 PM

Apparently the medical team has been upgraded today by Rafa to try and cut out the injuries that keep blighting our seasons

• 31 bettyswallocks // Jun 29, 2016 at 1:06 PM

Carl…… Your approval has been noted. It remains to be seen who comes and how well they play but I firmly believe an open mind is the order of the day.

• 32 Ron Knee // Jun 29, 2016 at 1:08 PM

Apparently Gayle had hamstring problems last season. Should we be worried?

• 33 WWSBRD // Jun 29, 2016 at 1:09 PM

Bristol didn’t pull out of the deal Gayle turned them down

• 34 richyg01 // Jun 29, 2016 at 1:09 PM

I think Gayle is decent tbh.

• 35 Shadow_Shearer // Jun 29, 2016 at 1:10 PM

Can somebody explain to me why are we selling townsend, & not loaning him out to palace. We plan to be back in premiership in 1 season anyway.

• 36 BandB // Jun 29, 2016 at 1:10 PM

Townsend was part of the package to save us from relegation, right?
    Some wondered if that package was well judged.
    Not sure how anyone can argue they’ve been proved wrong.

• 37 AncientC // Jun 29, 2016 at 1:11 PM

I was just reading that Dwight Gayle only had 1 year left on his contract, with begs the question: £10 million?

• 38 LGFUAD21 // Jun 29, 2016 at 1:12 PM

Some players may be worth loaning out for a season and then seeing what happens.

It’s win/win as their value will likely improve playing well in a top league (if they do) and we can reap the benefits financial or otherwise next season.

• 39 Jib // Jun 29, 2016 at 1:13 PM

2015/2016 was the third season in a row Gayle, despite being unable to hold down a consistent place in the team, finished the season as top scorer in all competitions for Crystal Palace.

• 40 ToonDownSouth // Jun 29, 2016 at 1:16 PM

Incredibly surprised at the negativity towards this signing. Consistently Palace’s top scorer, despite not being a mainstay in the team. And under three managers that I’m sure many would consider defensive dinosaurs.

Could anyone explain what’s NOT positive about this lad dropping down to the Championship with us?

• 41 Novocastrian66 // Jun 29, 2016 at 1:17 PM

AncientC; According to the Chronicle, Gayle signed a new contract a couple of months ago.

• 42 bettyswallocks // Jun 29, 2016 at 1:18 PM

The package to prevent relegation obviously failed as a package, but to single out Townsend as part of that failure is ridiculous as he came from the wilderness at Spurs, scored and created some great goals for us, was clearly our best attacking player and played himself into being almost in the Engaland team. I may also add that if he had been chosen by Hodgson then we might well be still in the competition as he would have done a far better job than Sterling.

• 43 WWSBRD // Jun 29, 2016 at 1:18 PM

10 mill because that’s his asking price mate

• 44 Jib // Jun 29, 2016 at 1:21 PM

On 12 April 2016, Gayle signed a contract with Crystal Palace to keep him at the club until 2019

• 45 Jib // Jun 29, 2016 at 1:22 PM

AncientC the blog’s Nigel Farage.

• 46 martoon // Jun 29, 2016 at 1:23 PM

Ha Ha

• 47 MadisonToon // Jun 29, 2016 at 1:26 PM

I knew there was no way Michy was going to go to Palace – happy to be right about that one. He’s way too good for a mid-table Prem team and I’m quite sure he knows it.

I look forward to seeing the rest of the incomings/outgoings in the coming weeks as it’ll be interesting to see how the side looks when all of the transfers are done and dusted.

• 48 carl // Jun 29, 2016 at 1:28 PM

You hammered the Townshend signing as I recall as well before recently acknowledging you’d got it wrong.
    Just take Bobby advice- calm down .

• 49 carl // Jun 29, 2016 at 1:32 PM

The package was also put together before Rafa.

• 50 AncientC // Jun 29, 2016 at 1:33 PM

Novocastrian66 – I see, transfermarkt had not updated his contract status.

carl, I didn’t hammer the Townsend signing, I thought the club overpaid for him due to his contract only having 1 year left, but as a player, I admitted I knew little about him, and stayed out of the debates about his ability.

• 51 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jun 29, 2016 at 1:37 PM

About time we are signing players with pace to stretch the game its perfect for players like Perez , Shelvey or De Jong who can now just receive the ball and look to play a through ball over a defence !

Would quite like us to go for someone like Will Hughes as Townsends replacement as Richie is Obertan or Marveux’s replacement 🙂

• 52 Bobbybee // Jun 29, 2016 at 1:38 PM

A short while ago Rafa said that getting top quality players to Newcastle would be difficult because we’re in the Championship. He added that the next best thing was to take players he thought he could improve greatly with good coaching. It may well be that he’s seen something in Gayle he can improve greatly upon. Both Gayle and Ritchie have done well in the PL, so they’re hardly bum signings. Rafa thinks he can improve them so why not let him try before writing them off? It would be a crying shame to lose Andros and smacks a little of an ungrateful player who was going nowhere fast turning his back on his saviour. That’s football. Then again, it hasn’t happened yet and we’ve heard nothing from Andros himself, nor from Rafa. Until we do, let’s not get too despondent.

• 53 Jail for Ashley // Jun 29, 2016 at 1:40 PM

Ha ha JIB,
    You’re Farages researcher

• 54 Ron Knee // Jun 29, 2016 at 1:44 PM

According to The Grauniad:
    “Newcastle have agreed to pay £8.5m up front with another £1m due if Gayle scores 20 goals and another £1m should they achieve promotion.”

• 55 JamesToon // Jun 29, 2016 at 1:44 PM

Cristian Fernandez Martinez and Daniel Marti added to the medical team with Paul Catterson remaining as club doctor

• 56 JamesToon // Jun 29, 2016 at 1:45 PM

Ritchie and Gayle fit the bill, we’ve been asking for some British grit and determination and that’s what we’re getting

• 57 expatmag // Jun 29, 2016 at 1:50 PM

Interesting to see what is happening here.

So far, we have confirmation of the following

Out……Cabella Marveaux Obertan and Taylor

In…..Sels and Gayle (probably)

Return…..Armstrong Thauvin Ameobi Vukic Bigi

Have I forgotten anyone?

I think Townsend Cisse Wijnaldum Krul and possibly Sissoko will go to for circa 50 millon quid and Eafa will get replacements in without much fuss

• 58 Jib // Jun 29, 2016 at 1:50 PM

There is a very tenuous link in the Belgian media with NUFC and left back Jordan Lukaku (Romelu’s younger brother )

• 59 Jail for Ashley // Jun 29, 2016 at 1:50 PM

I’d like to see a CB and LB now. Do you think that’s it for a ST now with Gayle being signed.

• 60 Jail for Ashley // Jun 29, 2016 at 1:52 PM

Why would we want Sameobi back. He is a shite Cardiff’s substitute.

• 61 expatmag // Jun 29, 2016 at 1:54 PM

Regarding the striker, it depends on who goes. If Cisse and Riviere goes, I think he will bring in another striker possibly on loan and experienced. My guess is Peter Crouch

We definitely need to address the defence with at least 2 centre bacjs and a senior left vack

• 62 expatmag // Jun 29, 2016 at 1:56 PM

I dudnt say we would WANT him back.

His loan us up and he is still contracted to the club do he has to come back.

• 63 The Newcastle Armchair // Jun 29, 2016 at 1:56 PM

After last season with Leicester and Monday night with england, we need a working team rather than individual performers.

Optimistic with Dwight, of course if he’s the player to fit the system then we will be a force next season.

Young and fast, similar to Rashford.

• 64 martoon // Jun 29, 2016 at 1:58 PM

Jail @60 – Unfortunately we don’t have any choice – his loan period is up and we gave him a 2 year contract last year!

• 65 Mister Tuff // Jun 29, 2016 at 2:02 PM

Not over enthused by Gayle. Strike rate is about a one in three. Recent injury problems as well.
    I mean he can play a bit/beat a man/has decent control (miles better than Cisse).
    Not sure if he is robust enough – but I suppose if he comes lets wait any see what he can produce.

• 66 Our Toon // Jun 29, 2016 at 2:08 PM

I had a interesting debate with quite a few on here about townsend leaving, was told he’d stay unless a big club came in for him and that I didn’t know what I was talking about because of the impact rafa had on him. Today’s news comes as no surprise to me.

Gayle on the other is a shocking signing for 10m

• 67 Bobbybee // Jun 29, 2016 at 2:11 PM

Despite dropping into the Championship, we’ve managed to sign the Belgium keeper of the year, Palace’s top goalscorer and possibly Bournemouth’s best player. Search as I might. I can’t find anything there to be unhappy about. I’ve always been baffled by the lack of game time Gayle got when compared to his strike rate. Poor management? Probably. These players are a step in the right direction and obviously Rafa has sold them his project. I’ve said before, don’t believe the hype – Rafa will surprise us with his signings and so far he has. They will improve our squad immensely and nothing else matters. Arma will get introduced bit by bit and before seasons end will be first choice – imo anyway. All good signings and a taste of things to come. Laughing.

• 68 The Newcastle Armchair // Jun 29, 2016 at 2:13 PM

My mistake, he’s 25 and not so young.

He looks it though

• 69 JamesToon // Jun 29, 2016 at 2:19 PM

dont think we need any more strikers we have gayle, mitro arma and perez can play there

• 70 expatmag // Jun 29, 2016 at 2:19 PM

Beggars cannot ge choosers. The likes of Gayle and Ritchie is a hell of an improvement in options rather than Obertan and Marvesux

• 71 expatmag // Jun 29, 2016 at 2:20 PM

And curentky Cusse and DeJong too

• 72 expatmag // Jun 29, 2016 at 2:21 PM

Not forgetting Gouffran and Riviere

• 73 Bobbybee // Jun 29, 2016 at 2:29 PM

Shadow, so far nobody connected to the club has officially said we are selling Andros mate, so far it’s just journo’s with rumours to spread. Clearly selling him is the last thing we want to do, so if he goes, nobody can blame Rafa. It was entered into his contract for his own reasons and if he chooses to exercise that right, it’s 100% down to Andros – nothing the club can do. Granted, we should have fought to keep that option out of his contract, but that was before Rafa arrived remember? Rafa is desperate to retain him, and the clause only allows interested clubs to talk to him, it doesn’t guarantee he’ll move. He might still laugh in Pardew’s face – who knows? Just a case of sitting it out and waiting for Andros to make a decision. He might want to move south again, but Palace might not be his choice of destination. If he goes, he goes – we’ll get over it – but he ain’t gone yet so fingers crossed.

• 74 JamesToon // Jun 29, 2016 at 2:30 PM

hope them four are shipped out asap

• 75 Jail for Ashley // Jun 29, 2016 at 2:45 PM

I don’t know who people think we are going to sign considering where we are. People were turning their noses up at Welbeck a couple of years ago when the papers decided to link us with him.

• 76 Mister Tuff // Jun 29, 2016 at 2:47 PM

Rumours circulating that Tinkerman is after Benny.

• 77 SPRINGY // Jun 29, 2016 at 3:01 PM

some of these signing may underwhelm a lot of people but you have to remember we are not a premier league side nay more….i think maybe a lowering of expectations and a bit patients maybe the way to go.

• 78 Al Yalayis Lad // Jun 29, 2016 at 3:54 PM

I have only ever seen him on the bench, if any of our previous managers had signed him I would be a bit miffed. But Rafa must see something and have a plan.

Just have to wait and see, he cannot be any worse than Cisse, onwards and upwards

previous post: Newcastle Confident Of Signing Matt Ritchie