The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

I Had A Call With Rafa – My Decision Was Made Really Fast

3:15 pm, Wednesday, June 29th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 9 Comments

New signing Matz Sels has given his first interview with nufcTV and it’s a really good one.

Geordie fans will be impressed with just how positive and excited Matz is to be a Newcastle United player.

All he wants to do it train with Rafa Benitez and Simon Smith and get better at Newcastle as a goalkeeper; he wants to contribute as much to the team as he possibly can.

matz sels

Matz Sels – Rafa Benitez at Newcastle was very important

This is some of what Matz said during his nufcTV interview:

“I’m very happy to be here. One week ago, Newcastle showed that they were interested in me. I had a call with the coach, Rafa, and after this my decision was made really fast.”

“So it’s really a big club in Belgium. There were also other clubs from the Premier League interested, but the most important thing is that we can go up with this club next year – where this team belongs.”

“I hope I can help the team to go there.” “It’s really a big club, they have a lot of supporters, and I hear that the season tickets are almost sold out.”

“This shows that it is really a big club. I’m happy to be here and I hope I can help the team to go back to the Premier League.”

“When I heard Rafa was staying as a coach here, it was really important for me because I think he has already won so many prizes,”

“I hope I can learn a lot from the coach and also from the goalkeeper trainer (Simon Smith), and I hope I can improve myself a lot here.”

“It’s really important for me to train with Benitez. He has achieved so many things, he won the Champions League, and it was really important for me to have a good feeling with the trainer.”

Sels is the first Belgian player to join Newcastle since the great Philippe Albert joined Newcastle and manager Kevin Keegan back in 1994.

It’s obvious that Rafa Benitez is an attraction for ambitious players – let’s hope we can get at least two more in before the end of this week with Rafa due to hold his first training session on Friday.

25 year-old Crystal Palace striker Dwight Gayle and 26 year-old Bournemouth midfielder Matt Ritchie look like real possibilities.

Both are said to be keen to join Newcastle.

That’s good.

Comment welcome.

Tags: Championship · Contracts · Matz Sels · Newcastle News · nufcTV · Pre-season · Premier League

9 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jail for Ashley // Jun 29, 2016 at 3:38 PM

This is why I can’t quite believe that Townsend would want to go to Palace.

• 2 Shadow_Shearer // Jun 29, 2016 at 3:47 PM

Alot of discussion on here about townsend release clause. My understanding is there was no clause on his contract at all, at the time of signing.
    I even remember in an interview when townsend first joined he was asked about no clause in his contract, not even a relegation one. He said he was so confident we could get out the bottom three, he didn’t feel he needed any clause on the contract.

• 3 Ron Knee // Jun 29, 2016 at 3:55 PM

A_C

That was my question too. Who is the bloke with Sels?

• 4 Veltmann // Jun 29, 2016 at 4:07 PM

It would have been more inspiring if he could have added Eva Carneiro to the medical team.

Belgian keepers seems possessed with lots of talents.Cortois and Mignolet have been successes. Matz is on his way to success too.
    That is a welcome signing.

• 5 Wayayman // Jun 29, 2016 at 4:07 PM

This lad is obviously decent, You dont win player of the year in any country/position if you’re not a talent.

Matt Ritchie though, that’s got me excited. He’s one of the hardest working players I’ve seen in the last couple of years. He’s a tough lad too and is exactly what we need in the middle of the park.
    Gayle I’m not so sure about. Not seen anything to make me think otherwise. I trust Rafa’s judgement over mine though!

• 6 Jail for Ashley // Jun 29, 2016 at 4:11 PM

People keep saying that they don’t think much of Gayle, who actually watched Palace more than twice last year and if so why?

• 7 Mister Tuff // Jun 29, 2016 at 4:15 PM

Video of Gayle arriving at the airport. Looks like one of G2s’ midget strikers.

• 8 Mister Tuff // Jun 29, 2016 at 4:22 PM

I think I’ll be a bit disappointed if part of the Gayle move involves Townsend going to play for King Percy at Palace.

• 9 JamesToon // Jun 29, 2016 at 4:31 PM