The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Townsend Ready To Leave Newcastle

8:50 am, Wednesday, June 29th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 26 Comments

Sky Sports correspondent Keith Downie is reporting today that Andros Townsend  is ready to leave Newcastle after a very short six months on Tyneside and he will return to London with Crystal Palace ready to activate the £13M release clause in his contract.

andros townsend swansea 876

Andros Townsend will leave Newcastle

The deal is almost certain to go through, because it is in the hands of the player himself once the release clause in his contract is activated.

While this is very bad news for Newcastle it’s not too surprising since there were signs this could happen yesterday.

It illustrates the state of football today when a player leaves Newcastle United for Crystal Palace and a player stays at a club for a very short six months before he’s off to a smaller club.

But this is simply one cost of being relegated and Newcastle deserved to go down last season through complete mismanagement of the club at all levels.

This is also an early blow for Rafa Benitez, who made Andros into a better player in a short 10 games at the end of last season – by the player’s own admission.

It’s short-sighted by Andros not to see the big picture of why he managed to get into England 26 man squad this summer after being in the wilderness at Tottenham for so long – it was the world-class coaching of Rafa Benitez.

Alan Pardew is not a world-class coach – we know that because he was at Newcastle for four years and the difference in class between the two managers is staggering.

But this is a huge disappointment for Newcastle United and it doesn’t bode well in our efforts to keep Gini Wijnaldum, Moussa Sissoko and Daryl Janmaat at the club.

Of the four of them Andros was the one most expected to stay on Tyneside!

But we just have to move on and at least we’ll have players who want to be at the club – that’s the positive side of this – just as it was back in 2009 – the last time we were relegated.

Tags: Andros Townsend · Coaching · Financials · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

26 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ron Knee // Jun 29, 2016 at 8:54 AM

Palace! Pass the sick bag.

• 2 Veltmann // Jun 29, 2016 at 8:57 AM

I haven’t been fussed on Townsend 😛
    No doubt it’ll be a blow but if he chooses palace,
    that indicates he desperately wants out.The worrying thing is his replacement.Seeing the likes of Gayle coming,they must have been in for another second rated winger from second rated team.My hope of straight promotion is just started fading..

• 3 cyprus // Jun 29, 2016 at 8:59 AM

Entirely logical , if unfortunate. Now we need to find ways to release the highly paid overrated dross, e.g. Shelvey.

Rafa, hate to point this out: a goalie was not a priority man. Last year’s player of the year was a goalie. You know best and all that, but there are other areas to blame for our demise. I can elaborate later.

• 4 Spoof // Jun 29, 2016 at 9:00 AM

I still don’t think he will go to Palace, he may well go but I would expect him to do better than them, if he goes there then for me he is selling himself short.

• 5 martoon // Jun 29, 2016 at 9:01 AM

If he goes to Palace I’ll lose all respect for him – I could understand one of the top London clubs such as Chelsea or even back to Spurs or any other top 4 club but Palace – Howay Andros!

• 6 The overrated Frenchman // Jun 29, 2016 at 9:06 AM

To leave a club coached by Benitez to go to one coached by Pardew is literally from the sublime to the ridiculous I would have thought. Or from the sublime Spaniard to the slimy Limey, perhaps.

• 7 WWSBRD // Jun 29, 2016 at 9:09 AM

Makes sense all round tbh though I’d love him to sign a new contract with us

Palace is as good as anyone who will be after him

• 8 Blofal // Jun 29, 2016 at 9:09 AM

Pardew will play him as a left back. I guarantee it.

• 9 jazzyp // Jun 29, 2016 at 9:10 AM

I know it’s early days,And have to accept we are going to lose players.But to lose Townsend-Sissoko-Wini-krill all in one window is not looking good under the Rafa revolution.

• 10 Spoof // Jun 29, 2016 at 9:11 AM

I have the complete opposite view, going back to being a bench warmer and I would lose all respect for him seeing as how desperate he was to get away from that, but playing week in week out for a lesser PL side I could understand, but not such a weaker side that relegation could happen again, Everton, West Ham etc would be understandable.

• 11 Blofal // Jun 29, 2016 at 9:14 AM

Cyprus we have gone 2 seasons now where we have had to play inexperienced goalkeepers. We were damn lucky Darlow stepped up this season but it was a big gamble. Your third choice keeper isn’t supposed to be starting every game for the second half of the season.

Krul and Elliot are both injury prone. We can’t afford a situation in the Championship where we are down to one proven keeper again. Not with the extra games we will have to play.

Bringing in Selz is just proof that Rafa knows what he is doing and that he has full control of transfers. Because Carr and Charnley would never have done that.

• 12 WWSBRD // Jun 29, 2016 at 9:17 AM

Why? Sissoko and Gini have under performed since signing, Krul has gone backwards since Harps left and Townsend we can’t stop leaving

Revolution mate

• 13 Spoof // Jun 29, 2016 at 9:21 AM

I imagine that most would agree with your keeper view, I certainly do, but your point about possible evidence of who is in control never crossed my mind, well done as it is a very good point and it should be welcomed by all of us, I suddenly feel a little bit more relaxed.

• 14 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jun 29, 2016 at 9:23 AM

Townsend if he wants to go let him go

To get out of this league we need a team a bit like Iceland not the most gifted but good players who want to play for Newcastle United and know the RAFA system he wants.

Not like England who very much remind me of the TOON past few years – got gifted players but did not have/play as a team – passed the ball sideways backwards, no movement off the ball

• 15 Goldmbemba // Jun 29, 2016 at 9:24 AM

Is anyone really surprised?

Good for him. One of a few players who I wont begrudge him getting a PL move.

Looks like we’ve got our money back for him anyway.

Im sure Rafa has ample replacements lined up.

• 16 jazzyp // Jun 29, 2016 at 9:24 AM

I’m all for the Rafa revolution mate. But if Dwight Gayle is the start of things to come, then God help us.
    Hopefully Rafa will take the club forward, but as yet it’s very uninspiring bud !!

• 17 martoon // Jun 29, 2016 at 9:25 AM

Spoof @10 – Fair point maybe a top four club is overstating it and a London club like West Ham would suit him but not Palace!

• 18 Oleg G // Jun 29, 2016 at 9:27 AM

He is the only player I expected to stay for sure.

A. The opportunity he got from NUFC after rotting on the bench for years.

B. Becoming a better footballer under Benitez.

C. Getting the love he got from the fans.

D. Being only 6 months in a club (not even that as it includes a month of no football.

E. Seeing that the future can be bright in Newcastle and that the manager wants him to be a central player in the team.

If he leaves, that shows how ugly football is.
    I was sure he is a guy with honor and a bigger respect to the game and the team.

And leave to where? To mid-table (not even that) team, ran by Pardew?

He will be Pardewed in a month.

• 19 Spoof // Jun 29, 2016 at 9:28 AM

That’s exactly how I view it as well .

• 20 jazzyp // Jun 29, 2016 at 9:28 AM

Welcome to Metz sals 5 year deal

• 21 G // Jun 29, 2016 at 9:30 AM

I actually think Gayle could work out quite well for us in the Champo, never saw him as a prem player, but at this level I think he could be a surprise hit? Time will tell.

• 22 Jan Stavik // Jun 29, 2016 at 9:30 AM

No need to get too emotional guys, the times of loyal footballers are gone. At 13m, Townsend is a decent signing for any mid table Premiership side, I’m just happy the clause is 13 and not 8 as suggested earlier.
    Re. the goalie situation, I was surprised too. However it makes sense, now we’ve got a strong no.1 who is fit and ready from game 1. The last few seasons we’ve played no. 2, 3 and 4(!) more often than our first choice, you never see top sides do that unless they actually do it on purpose to let no. 2 play the cups. Stability is a key, and Rafa is surely not confident with constand goalie switching due to Elliots pub-worker-physique or Kruls prone legs.

• 23 WWSBRD // Jun 29, 2016 at 9:31 AM

He’s better than what we’ve got now mate, who realistically would get u excited or inspired?

• 24 MrToon // Jun 29, 2016 at 9:33 AM

Jason punchion to come to us and 6mil would cheer me up if he goes to palace

• 25 cyprus // Jun 29, 2016 at 9:43 AM

Fair point B.

Still, it shows poor Elliott that a ‘player of the season’ was for nought and that it is assumed Krul will continue to sustain injuries and won’t be improving. And that Darlow isn’t good enough.

I just really hope Rafa can pull off the lofty expectations. I mean, Ed is talking of top 6 in a different league to ours, and that is great, optimism. But, one step at a time.

He needs to now buy players who can win games.

I will be the first to praise performance, anyone’s, ON the field. I’ve seen too many false dawns at this team.

• 26 scout // Jun 29, 2016 at 10:25 AM

Newcastle to Palace, really?

No wonder you didn’t make the England squad, what an idiot.

previous post: Benitez Gets Tough With Top Players’ Agents