The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Sels Told Geordie Fans Are A Little Bit Crazy – But So Is He

8:05 am, Thursday, June 30th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 18 Comments

New signing Matz Sels is a little bit like his new manager Rafa Benitez – he played in the Champions League last  season and is now at Newcastle in the Championship – England’s second division.

Rafa was managing Real Madrid for the first half of last season – they went on to win the Champions League for the second time in two years and 11th time in total last month – and now Rafa is managing Newcastle in the Championship.

matz sels 123

Matz Sels while at Gent

It seems the 24 year-old goalkeeper listened to Rafa’s ambitions for the new Newcastle United and then rather quickly decided to join the north-east club.

Other Premier League clubs like Champions Leicester City and Southampton were also in for the Belgium U21 goalkeeper.

Matz has said he’s heard the Newcastle fans are a little bit crazy – what???

But then he admits so is he – and that he’s looking forward to playing in front of over 50,000 mad screaming Geordies next season.

This is some of what Matz said yesterday:

“English football is maybe the best competition in the world, and everybody followed the English competitions in Belgium.”

“I followed it last year as well, and it’s a great competition. That’s why it made my choice really easy, to choose England.”

“I talked with Rafa Benitez, and he gave me the impression that we wanted to go up immediately again. It gave me the feeling that I should sign for Newcastle, and it’s a big club.”

“A few years ago they played in Belgium in the Europa League, so that means that you’re a good club.”

“It’s a challenge, but if you want to improve, you have to make steps. This, for me, is the perfect step to improve and to be a better player.”

“The most important thing is getting to play there (St. James’ Park) every two weeks, in a fantastic stadium for a fantastic crowd,”

“I hear the supporters are a little bit crazy, so I’m looking forward to playing for them.”

“I’ve played in the Champions League, so I’ve already played a few times in front of a lot of people, but it’s incredible to play every week in front of 50,000 people.”

“I’m looking forward to playing for them.”

“I was always a goalkeeper,” “I started playing football when I was five years old, and even then I was a goalkeeper.”

“I think, to be a goalkeeper, you have to be a little bit crazy, and maybe I’m a little bit crazy also! It’s normal I think – every goalkeeper is a little bit crazy.”

In his interview with nufcTV yesterday, Matz came across as being very ambitious, very confident and very professional with an excellent attitude.

But he’ll have to fight it out initially with Karl Darlow for the number one jersey at Newcastle and then Rob Elliot, once Rob is fit towards the end of the year.

It’s expected Tim Krul will now leave the club this summer – after 11 years on Tyneside – probably to Everton.

Tags: Coaching · Matz Sels · Media · Newcastle News · nufcTV · Pre-season · Premier League

18 responses so far ↓

• 1 Blofal // Jun 30, 2016 at 8:08 AM

We really need a solid defensive midfielder.

Benitez likes to play with two and if Tiote leaves we only have Colback and Anita.

• 2 martoon // Jun 30, 2016 at 8:09 AM

I think Ritchie would be a good signing but it’s kind of puzzling why Bournemouth want to sell him? As far as I remember he was a regular starter for them, scored a few goals and was one of their better players!

• 3 G // Jun 30, 2016 at 8:11 AM

@2 I think they just got Ibe from Chelski on loan for the season.

• 4 Jail for Ashley // Jun 30, 2016 at 8:12 AM

I’ll spare the repost.

• 5 martoon // Jun 30, 2016 at 8:14 AM

G @2 – Ah right – that makes a bit of sense if Ritchie thinks he won’t be first choice anymore – cheers.

• 6 Spoof // Jun 30, 2016 at 8:18 AM

It’s nice to get player’s in who have been successful in the league in which we are playing in, yes I know that Sels hasn’t but the other two have, it’s refreshing after being so used to getting player’s in and hoping that they adapt to the league we’re in, getting player’s in who are fit for purpose is something I could get used to.

• 7 EllaGuru // Jun 30, 2016 at 8:18 AM

Still hoping for an experienced CB to come in. Although I was well impressed with Lascelles and Mbemba at the back end of last season, we need to get a solid CB with a bit of experience.
    This is of course under the assumption that Colo is going to be shipped out. Here’s hoping in any case!

• 8 Tsunki // Jun 30, 2016 at 8:20 AM

Every OTHER week, Mats. The weeks in between may end up being sideways sleet on a dark November Wednesday evening to one or two less spectators in a rattly, echoey tin hut. Swings and roundabouts I suppose.

• 9 Tsunki // Jun 30, 2016 at 8:22 AM

Sorry, Matz. Should get that right I suppose.

• 10 Jail for Ashley // Jun 30, 2016 at 8:24 AM

Is anyone having problems with the submit button on here with android, sometimes it looks like it’s submitted but hasn’t and other times duplicate comment is detected.

• 11 Spoof // Jun 30, 2016 at 8:25 AM

I think that Grant Hanley will be the CV that your looking for.

• 12 Spoof // Jun 30, 2016 at 8:29 AM

I’m using Android and I don’t have any problems sending a post, writing them is my problem but that is due to me being hopeless.

• 13 martoon // Jun 30, 2016 at 8:33 AM

Jail – I’m using PC at the moment but I have had that problem – it is normally when I’m travelling and the data signal is a bit ‘dodgy’ so it could possibly be your data connection rather than the site!

• 14 Jail for Ashley // Jun 30, 2016 at 8:34 AM

I’d like to see Tiote have another two seasons here, I think he could be a really important player next season and Captain if Sissoko leaves.

• 15 martoon // Jun 30, 2016 at 8:36 AM

Ella @7 The Championship season is long and gruelling so we are bound to pick up injuries and suspensions so we really need 4 CBs imo.

• 16 Jail for Ashley // Jun 30, 2016 at 8:48 AM

We can’t have Dummet as the LB and third/fourth choice CB, we all know what happens there, the LB gets injured while Dummet is standing in as CB and we end up with Sissoko etc at LB, we need two players for every position, the team has previously been based on penny pinching rather than tpjjttt so hopefully that will change. It is so hard to predict who we need to bring in because we don’t know how Rafa rates Haidara, Mbabau and Sterry. But even still a LB and CB is a minimum for me.

• 17 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jun 30, 2016 at 8:49 AM

I do my postings while working from my computer (MAC) I used Google Chrome
    I had the same problem with posting blogs – when writing letters appeared on screen slowly sometimes just froze and when sending didn’t go sometimes prompt – posting twice.

Change to Safari and had know problem since.

Not up on the web search platforms etc., but changing to Safari has worked a treat

• 18 Jib // Jun 30, 2016 at 8:50 AM

Blofal // Jun 30, 2016 at 8:08 AM

We really need a solid defensive midfielder.

I think we may be getting Ozan Tufan from Fenerbahce in exchange for Siem de Jong plus cash !

previous post: Matt Ritchie Is Traveling To Newcastle Today