The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Charnley On What Happens When Newcastle Were Incompetent

10:24 am, Friday, July 1st, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 51 Comments

This is the piece Newcastle United have put out today to try to explain the loss of Andros Townsend to Crystal Palace – managed by former Newcastle manager Alan Pardew.

The Newcastle fans have not taken the early departure of Andros very well at all.

Lee Charnley Thumbs Up

Lee Charnley – Newcastle Managing Director

This is what the club has just published on the web-site:

Newcastle United can confirm that winger Andros Townsend has signed for Crystal Palace for an undisclosed fee.

Townsend joined the Magpies from Tottenham Hotspur in January, and made 13 appearances for the Club, scoring four goals.

This is what Newcastle United managing director Lee Charnley said:

“Naturally we are very disappointed to lose Andros but we are bound by the terms of his contract,”

“Given our situation in January it was a condition of him joining that we included a buy-out clause.”

“However, I am sure now with Rafa as our manager we will not be in a position whereby we will need to agree to clauses of this nature in the future.”

“Despite Andros’ departure today, we believe with the signings we have made this week we have strengthened the squad.”

“Rafa and I are working very well together and we are confident we are building a squad that will meet our objectives for the season ahead of us.”

“Finally, I would like to say Andros was a great professional during his time with us, who gave his all for the Club, and I wish him all the very best.”

The real bottom line here is that we lost Andros because we were incompetent and kept the woeful Steve McClaren in the job for far too long, when he should have been fired shortly after Andros arrived.

But yes – it is time to move on as Lee rightly alludes to.

We are delighted that Rafa is now essentially running Newcastle United with the help of Charnley at the executive level.

It’s great to have a world-class manager back in charge at Newcastle – it’s been 12 years since Sir Bobby Robson left the club.

Tags: Andros Townsend · Financial Fair Play · Financials · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

51 responses so far ↓

• 1 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 1, 2016 at 10:33 AM

“Rafa and I are working very well together”…..what a laugh….it’ll be “yes Rafa, no Rafa, three bags full Rafa”. Slimy little toad. Just the sight of his stupid face sickens me. Charnley out.

• 2 Jib // Jul 1, 2016 at 10:34 AM

Its been 12 years since the fat coward Freddy Shepherd kicked out a club icon to save his own hide with the fans.

• 3 GEORDIE69 // Jul 1, 2016 at 10:38 AM

Goodbye Dros Townsend, fancy swapping Newcastle United and Rafa Benitez for Crystal Palace and Alan Pardew! That is like part exchanging a Ferrari for a mountain bike. Good luck playing left back next season, maybe you can replace Danny Rose in the England team, just in time for next World Cup. Oh let’s hope you have a relegation release clause, because I think you might just need it!

• 4 manxpie // Jul 1, 2016 at 10:40 AM

Well fusk him then shows his ambition
    could understand if it was to a top 6 club
    hopefully aarons steps up now

• 5 martoon // Jul 1, 2016 at 10:41 AM

Jib – It wasn’t just fat Freddy – if you looked at fans comments on a blog such as this there were plenty calling him senile, past it, the players laugh behind his back etc. so we are not entirely blameless!

• 6 WWSBRD // Jul 1, 2016 at 10:45 AM

Had we not been in the muck we wouldn’t of signed Townsend anyway so swings and roundabouts

Good luck to him though wish him well and I enjoyed his time with us, understand why he left so no ill will

All the best Andros

• 7 posada // Jul 1, 2016 at 10:45 AM

In fairness to FS you should remember that SBR was getting some criticism from fans.
    We had finished 4/5th a couple of times and SBR was getting on a bit. It was felt that we needed to move on, although it is true you should sometimes be careful what you wish for.
    Many thought 4/5th was ok, but we could push on and do better. That’s because we had ambition.
    We had lost in a the semi final of the Uefa Cup and played poorly. That disappointed many.

• 8 Jib // Jul 1, 2016 at 10:55 AM

If you read what I wrote

to save his own hide with the fans

He should have been man enough to ride out the fans criticism.

• 9 Jib // Jul 1, 2016 at 10:58 AM

Just listen to yourself
    We had finishd 4/5 and lost a UEFA semi
    Who got us there ffs !!!!!
    Next month we start in the Championship !!!!

• 10 Slank // Jul 1, 2016 at 10:58 AM

I fund it very sad that a number of our fans have resorted to vitriolic abuse at Townsend for leaving and returning to a higher league and to his own home town.

He took a chance coming to us knowing full well that relegation was a distinct possibility and therefore quite sensibly had an escape clause in his contract.

He gave 100% for the cause but others let the team down.

Good luck to you Andros and hope it all goes well.

• 11 JamesToon // Jul 1, 2016 at 11:00 AM

Well all the best Andros, but we’ve got the best replacement we can get in Ritchie who’s having a medical today. And very happy with Gayle, and also the new kit is the best we’ve had in years

• 12 cyprus // Jul 1, 2016 at 11:00 AM

Not sure I get the Andros hate. He was only here a couple months, his team got relegated through no fault of his, he gave his all. Best of luck I say.

Now Shelvey…

• 13 martoon // Jul 1, 2016 at 11:01 AM

Jib – that’s the trouble with us fans – we are fickle, no matter how well a club is doing we always want better – the Arsenal fans are a prime example of this.

• 14 bettyswallocks // Jul 1, 2016 at 11:03 AM

Nice to see Gayle getting some positive comments. The best accolade he could get is not being rated by Pardew. If he’s quick, instinctive and skillful in front of goal then he wouldn’t be Pardew’s goods. A big old fashioned target man like Whickham would appeal more to the 80’s icon. Signing Gayle shows us what type of football we are in store for under Rafa, my only reservation with Gayle is that Rotonda has given him the thumbs up (only joking).

I think that once Pardew has found a better position for him and coached the attacking instinct out of Townsend, then brainwashed him to track back and help the defence, he will be suitably confused enough to fit into a Pardew team.

• 15 JP...from The Rock // Jul 1, 2016 at 11:06 AM

It’s good that Charnley has come out of his comfort zone to explain things. Surprising a bit professional from to come put and say this. Oh well, Townsend is gone lets not be bitter about it. Lets lookat the new signings instead and see what team Rafa is building here.

• 16 martoon // Jul 1, 2016 at 11:07 AM

JamesToon & Cyprus – I think people feel that we helped revive his career and he could have shown some loyalty by staying for 1 more season to help us get promotion especially as there are no major internationals next year. Personally I have no animosity towards him but I am disappointed with him given the things he and his father said.

• 17 magscar // Jul 1, 2016 at 11:08 AM

Chain Reaction?
    Townsend to Palace, Bolasie to Leicester, Mahrez to ??

Disappointed he has gone but was dubious when he signed for us given his form – remains to be seen how he performs there as he does blow hot and cold.

Can’t bring myself to wish him good luck but not going to say good riddance either – we move on.

• 18 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 1, 2016 at 11:12 AM

Townsend has done what he thinks best for himself which isn’t unreasonable. It’s not that he’s had a long connection with NUFC or owes us any favours. Of course he doesn’t realise that he’s about to become Pardew-ed like so many before him, but as they say, life is for learning..

• 19 Mister Tuff // Jul 1, 2016 at 11:14 AM

Best laugh of the day so far from Townsends “Dear John” letter.
    ““Hopefully he (Alan Pardew) can take my game to another level and build on the great start to the season they had last year.”

King Percy coaching someone to a higher level – if he believes that he must be on drugs.

• 20 hibbitt // Jul 1, 2016 at 11:17 AM

players come and go thats life he chose palace over us that’s his loss
    will be interesting to see how this season pans out for him
    a london boy the bright lights would always be a pull

• 21 Shadow_Shearer // Jul 1, 2016 at 11:17 AM

If I didn’t hate pardew enough before, I hate him even more now for taking townsend away from us. I think we should start another campaign against pardew.

• 22 JamesToon // Jul 1, 2016 at 11:21 AM

I’m not gonna give Andros hate, he doesn’t deserve it after all he’s done for us. But we all know he could do so much better, even staying with us for 1 season would be better, but ultimately its what he feels is right so if that’s what he wants then so be it.

But I think people should be taking notice more of the change in direction of this club, we practically agreed terms with Townsends replacement before he was even gone!!! When did we last see that under Ashley?!!

Exciting times for the toon. Can’t wait for Ritchie to be announced. And love the fact the club have their own snapchat now

• 23 Rotonda heights // Jul 1, 2016 at 11:23 AM

Didn’t colo’s marriage unravel because he got a local girl pregnant. not moralising but 2 sides to everything.

• 24 JamesToon // Jul 1, 2016 at 11:24 AM

Press in London issuing a statement on Steven caulker later, could be be on his way to us??

• 25 JamesToon // Jul 1, 2016 at 11:25 AM

So glad coloccini is gone as well

• 26 Shadow_Shearer // Jul 1, 2016 at 11:28 AM

I don’t know much about matt Ritchie, but sounds like alot of people here are very happy to get him.
    Personally sounds like a big downgrade compared to townsend, & for 10 million sounds over paid.
    Can anybody tell me what qualities he will bring??

• 27 carl // Jul 1, 2016 at 11:28 AM

Fat Freddy Shepherd had agreed with Sir Bobby that Robson would retire at the end of the season but sacked him after 4 games. Freddy sacked a highly respected highly intelligent footballing man, In his 2005 autobiography Sir Bobby mentioned the lack of cooperation he had received from Shepherd and the constant plotting to undermine him. Having sacked Freddy he had no replacement in mind. So what did Shepherd do? He appointed a shocking manager, a man who started a massive decline in our fortunes one Graeme Souness.

Freddy backed Souness with a £50million transfer kitty. Money which had not been made available to Sir Bobby. Then 6 months later Freddy sacked Souness and kept the fans waiting for a world class manager. Owner activists, like Jail for Ashley, were excited at the prospect and on social media sites constantly posted of having a world class manager. Instead we ended up with a caretaker manager Glenn Roeder. Despite a 7th placed finish we were in decline as was clearly seen in the following season when Roeder was sacked.

The decline of our club on football and financial grounds was rooted in the Shepherd stewardship. He got of lightly when Ashley took over what was a sinking ship.

• 28 JAMSHA // Jul 1, 2016 at 11:31 AM

Ritchie Spoted With Our Away Kit, looks like Gooner

• 29 JAMSHA // Jul 1, 2016 at 11:33 AM

Plenty of goals, assist, free kicks on tRget

• 30 Rotonda heights // Jul 1, 2016 at 11:35 AM

as i say i hope i don’t jinx him !

• 31 Rotonda heights // Jul 1, 2016 at 11:37 AM

i think that’s fair coment re – shepherd

• 32 Rotonda heights // Jul 1, 2016 at 11:37 AM

• 33 hibbitt // Jul 1, 2016 at 11:38 AM

we owe more now then we did with shepard
    ashleys not an improvement only 8 years of hassle

• 34 Shadow_Shearer // Jul 1, 2016 at 11:39 AM

He looks like he has good free kick & crossing, but he looks slow & very 1 footed. Which makes him very predictable for smart defenders. I could be wrong ofcourse, like I said I don’t know much about him.

• 35 Rotonda heights // Jul 1, 2016 at 11:40 AM

you just need to see bounemouth fans response, they’re very unhappy. he’s creative, scores goals, puts in a tackle, runs miles, is 2 footed etc etc. very good and just what we need.

• 36 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 1, 2016 at 11:40 AM

@Shadow shearer he is a very lively player who, last time he was in the championship, got 15 goals and 17 assists. He may be a downgrade on Townsend but keeping Townsend wasn’t an option and it’d be difficult to upgrade in the second flight. Ritchie should be a very good signing and at 26 is in what should be his peak years.
    Only time will tell if we and/or palace got a good deal on our wingers

• 37 Jail for Ashley // Jul 1, 2016 at 11:41 AM

Not sure if Andros hate is the correct term. I’m not gutted he’s gone but very disappointed after the comments him and his Da said about the club and Benitez joining yatter yatter, it does feel like a kick in the teeth and especially losing him to Pardew. The pull of London, he was happy to come here in the first place and could have shown a bit of loyalty. I for one will be giving him pellets when he returns, I just hope it’s in the fifth round of next year’s FA cup.

• 38 Rotonda heights // Jul 1, 2016 at 11:43 AM

in a way i wonder if mitro missing the first 4 games will see us play a much better brand of football

• 39 hibbitt // Jul 1, 2016 at 11:44 AM

hope the next 2/3 signing are defenders to give them time to gel
    we need a settled defence

• 40 Jail for Ashley // Jul 1, 2016 at 11:45 AM

You devisive turd don’t you ever fcukin mention my name again when referring to the sacking of SBR. I thought it the most disgusting acts of FF reign. How fcukin dare you, you fcukin creep.

• 41 jimmysmith // Jul 1, 2016 at 11:46 AM

I just think Colo was a very good player for us, relatively speaking. 40 caps for Argentina, and a dozen won from Tyneside. If he’d stayed at Boca he’d probably have won 40 more. Can’t comment on his qualities as a husband, or his personal integrity, not sure how relevant it is anyway, although I’d agree he probably was not the best choice for Captain, but I’m struggling to think who might have been better at the time.

• 42 nut meg // Jul 1, 2016 at 11:47 AM

SS @ 26
    Here’s a link to Matt Richie,it gives you some idea of what he’s capable of.

• 43 Jib // Jul 1, 2016 at 11:49 AM

On the game tonight
    I really would like to see Wales progress.
    However I fear we could see the first spanking of the tournament , the Belgian side is rammed with talent.
    I hope I’m wrong.

• 44 Rotonda heights // Jul 1, 2016 at 11:49 AM

i suspect palace’s ambitious new american owners will be looking to upgrade pardew asap.

• 45 Rotonda heights // Jul 1, 2016 at 11:51 AM

it’s the way you said his marriage was unravelling, as if you felt sorry for him, when it sounds like it was pretty much self inflicted.

• 46 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 1, 2016 at 11:51 AM

Rotonda, I always thought we looked better last season with Mitrovic on the pitch. Sure, he had his downside, but he was a presence. I think he’ll be great in the Championship if he can control himself out there. I know it’s not really Rafa’s style, but to me having him upfront with Gayle would be a nightmare for defenders in that league.

• 47 Jib // Jul 1, 2016 at 11:53 AM

Calm down dear
    There are kids use this blog
    The constant use of the “f” word does not reinforce your argument – it merely makes you look loutish and ill educated.

• 48 Jail for Ashley // Jul 1, 2016 at 11:54 AM

Excuse my language but that boiled my pi ss

• 49 Shadow_Shearer // Jul 1, 2016 at 11:56 AM

Well 15 goals & 17 assist last time in the championship doesn’t sound bad.

• 50 jimmysmith // Jul 1, 2016 at 12:05 PM

Yeah, I just think think he wanted to go back to Argentina because his wife and kids were there, and whatever the circumstance and however it came about, that doesn’t seem unreasonable.

• 51 posada // Jul 1, 2016 at 1:03 PM

Re your comment at 9. Yes he did get us there in the first place, but there’s no need to be rude my friend.
    Whatever the fans say now at the time many were voicing their concerns about SBR.
    We played poorly and lost a semi. Is it wrong to want to go that bit extra a win something. For me no. We had come close in 96 etc and that is how we are.
    I did say, be careful what you wish for. Then 5th was not quite good enough for some. Obviously we would see it as success now.

previous post: Townsend Signs For Crystal Palace – I’m Extremely Delighted