The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

New Signing Cannot Believe He’s Made It To Newcastle

12:53 pm, Friday, July 1st, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 81 Comments

In 2011 Dwight Gayle, then a 20 year-old striker was playing for Stansted FC in the  Essex Senior League and the new signing for Newcastle today has told nufcTV he would have laughed if you had told him back then that in a short five years he would be   playing for Newcatsle United – one of the iconic football clubs of England.

dwight gayle 87

Dwight Gayle – ecstatic

This is what Gayle told nufcTV in  his first interview on Tyneside:

“If you’d have told me that I’d be signing for Newcastle then, I’d probably have laughed and told you were a liar, but to finally be here, on the route I’ve come, is a great achievement,”

“I just want to crack on now, perform, and get the goals to push us back up.”

“I’m ecstatic really. It’s amazing to be at a big club like this and to come from where I’ve come, is just a dream come true. There’s a massive fanbase and a great history here, so it’s amazing to be here.”

“From Stansted I signed for Dagenham and went on loan to Bishop’s Stortford. I had a great season there and I loved it, thoroughly enjoyed my time there.”

“The next season I joined Dagenham and started well there again. I pushed on to Peterborough and had a great time in the Championship, and then went on to Palace, where I’ve been for the last three years.”

“Coming the route I did makes it that bit more special. I appreciate it that bit more. When I go back to see some mates and go back to watch my old teams, you just notice how far you’ve come, and that’s when you really cherish it that bit more.”

“Looking back, there’s been some extremely good forwards here, and the fans do love a good striker.” “If I can follow them and be half as good as some of them, then I’ll be OK.”

“I’m quite good at finishing, I suppose. I’m quite quick, and I’m going to give my all and work hard for the team, and try my best every game.”

“You want to get to the 20 mark, and that’s the first stage you want to get to. You go into each game trying to score, but the main aim for us is just to get promoted – that’s going to be the main idea.”

“It’s a massive club, and I don’t see us not being at the top of the table of there or thereabouts. I’m looking forward to it and hopefully I can help push the team that way with my goals and my performances.”

We have a feeling that Rafa Benitez can quickly get the best out of Dwight and that the gifted 25 year-old can score a lot of goals for us next season.

Sounds good to us.

We understand the fee was £9M for the former Crystal Palace striker.

Tags: Contracts · Dwight Gayle · Financials · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

81 responses so far ↓

• 1 G // Jul 1, 2016 at 12:58 PM

Glad hes here, pace and finishing, 2 aspects we are short of.

• 2 Ben-Arfa11 // Jul 1, 2016 at 1:02 PM

If dwight gayle is half the player bellamy was for us then we be doing good.

Mitrovic and gayle new shearer and bellamy partnership who knows ?

What I do know is I wouldnt worry about townsend or any other player leaving us as we have made the signing of the summer already and thats rafa benitez..

Townsend couldnt stay one season in the championship but a champions league winning manager took the step down because he is loyal and has dignity unlike u mr townsend.

Funnily enough crystal palace is based in lodon what a surprise ha im sure that had nothing to do with your choice atall its not like ur dating hazel o sullivan who would love the bright lights of london.

We did well to get rid tbh we need fighters and loyal and commited people and we already got two in ritchie and benitez

Howay the lads…

• 3 richyg01 // Jul 1, 2016 at 1:05 PM

RITCHIE IS IN

• 4 Average_Contents // Jul 1, 2016 at 1:05 PM

Sounds like his heads screwed on right at least.

Probably why Pinnochio sold him. Can’t be having none of that eh!

Hope he’s what we need but I have my doubts.

Good luck and here’s hoping you dispel those doubts that I’m sure many others hold too.

Hwtl
    Hwtf
    Fatty out.

• 5 Ayozeserious // Jul 1, 2016 at 1:06 PM

Ritchie just confirmed on snapchat

• 6 Tsunki // Jul 1, 2016 at 1:09 PM

So, after all this time it finally comes out – Jail for Ashley was the man behind SBR’s sacking by FFS. Shameful 😉

• 7 Tsunki // Jul 1, 2016 at 1:10 PM

Hope he’s better than he was in Eastenders.

• 8 bettyswallocks // Jul 1, 2016 at 1:11 PM

Jib……. I was just reading back and saw Expats gutless post threatening to try and get you banned. Unbelievable that so called grown men feel the need to behave like little girls. Maybe there’s some explanation there.

I was recently trying to obtain a visa for Oz. and they were asking how long was my intended trip, was it business or pleasure etc. Then they asked did I have any previous criminal convictions, to which I replied , I didn’t think they were needed any more.

• 9 firebug666 // Jul 1, 2016 at 1:12 PM

AC @4

I’m with you I have my doubts, but I trust Rafa to know what he is doing, and to get the best out of whatever squad we end up with. Let’s hope that will be enough for the fizzy pop league, and that he will have plans in the pipeline for the future of the club.

• 10 welshgeordie9 // Jul 1, 2016 at 1:13 PM

Sky Sports Breaking News.

Newcastle sign Midfielder Matt Ritchie from Bournemouth on a 5 year deal.

Brilliant news.

• 11 bettyswallocks // Jul 1, 2016 at 1:14 PM

Tsunki …… Yes, it appears he was involved in the SBR sacking in some capacity. Don’t know to what extent but there’s normally no smoke without fire.

• 12 Average_Contents // Jul 1, 2016 at 1:14 PM

Welcome Richie.

Well rafa seems to be working the charm big time. Granted, gayle wasn’t playing regularly but he still dropped down a division.

Did someone mention that Richie wasn’t getting in the Bournemouth team towards the end of last season too but he’s dropped down also.

From what jamestoon has said on him he’s going to be a shrewd bit of business.

Hopefully.

• 13 LGFUAD21 // Jul 1, 2016 at 1:25 PM

People need to lay off Townsend.

He’s above the Championship and he did his job last season.

I’d rather us loaned him out. But you cannot blame him for wanting to play in the Prem.

I just wish it wasnt Palace.

It’s ok, but he’ll suffer under Pardew’s management. Pards will be gone by Christmas and who knows who they’ll get in to replace him.

We shouldve negotiatied a buy back clause though.

• 14 welshgeordie9 // Jul 1, 2016 at 1:28 PM

LGFUAD21

I wouldn’t worry about Townsend, he’ll be back with us by January transfer window.

Ha ha ha

• 15 The next Mike Williamson // Jul 1, 2016 at 1:29 PM

I wonder if we’re buying British now beause of pound being worth much much less. Maybe it’s too expensive to buy French players anymore. We should spend big now before the upcoming recession brings it down even further.

• 16 The next Mike Williamson // Jul 1, 2016 at 1:33 PM

Townsend’s just a slightly better version of Obertan anyway, haha. Just thought I’d revert back to my original opinion now he’s gone to Palace.

• 17 expatmag // Jul 1, 2016 at 1:39 PM

BETTY

I see you are trying to take over JIBs mantle of the blog village idiot.

• 18 firebug666 // Jul 1, 2016 at 1:40 PM

We may feel aggrieved that Townsend has abandoned ship, but he has done what he feels is best for him, no more and no less than any of us would have done.

We all look for the best deal for ourselves, if buying or selling something, or negotiating a contract, or making a deal with someone.

Townsend had done just that, he is thinking of his England carrier as well as club football, and he wants to be in the premiership.

So do we, but it will take us another season, I wish him well. Gutted he has gone like but hold no malice towards him.

• 19 carl // Jul 1, 2016 at 1:42 PM

expatmag
    So you are relinquishing the role!

• 20 expatmag // Jul 1, 2016 at 1:42 PM

Loyalty in football is exceptionally rare these days. I dont blame the lad for leaving.

• 21 Tsunki // Jul 1, 2016 at 1:46 PM

Easy there expat I’m not giving up my mantle that easily 🙂

So, Betty, do you think JfA was the guy on the Grassy Knoll?

• 22 SPRINGY // Jul 1, 2016 at 1:50 PM

so who’s next in or out the door?….with the players returning to training today if there is any unhappy players then there will no doubt be a few stories doing the rounds over the weekend….be prepared!

• 23 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 1, 2016 at 1:51 PM

Some of Richies goals some crackers in there

• 24 expatmag // Jul 1, 2016 at 1:53 PM

TSUNKI

No worries mate. Watch your back though. Carl appears to be making a move for your mantle now….lol

• 25 Tsunki // Jul 1, 2016 at 1:53 PM

it’s a revolving door at SJP atm. Exactly what I expected and indeed hoped for under Benitez. A good spring clean, get rid of the old mentality, hangers on, inept fudgers and poor scouting, training and medical setup. A new broom.

About time too.

• 26 firebug666 // Jul 1, 2016 at 1:53 PM

I see Ben Arfa has signed a 2 year deal with PSG. Good for him, hope he does well.

• 27 bettyswallocks // Jul 1, 2016 at 1:56 PM

Expat……. I’m sorry for the joke. Please don’t get me banned as well.

• 28 carl // Jul 1, 2016 at 1:59 PM

Yes Expat – “all we need is tinkering”.
    You’re not on the Leicester City blog- hello, hello. Anybody there?

• 29 Jib // Jul 1, 2016 at 1:59 PM

Mr Gayle

• 30 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:01 PM

Expat why do you insist on threatening the best members of this blog (ie the ones who speak sense) when you have such awful input yourself?

• 31 NUFCPaul // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:02 PM

Actual Andros statement – ‘I came to your club due to the fact that nobody else was really interested in me. I was in the Spurs’ reserve team and had a reputation to rocking the boat. Luckily you took a chance on me and I played well enough with Newcastle to get back into the England team. Sadly you were relegated and I was one of the first rats to jump ship because I don’t give a damn about which club I’m playing for due to my total lack of loyalty. I hope you can all understand that footballers are mercenaries these days and forgive me. Don’t bother thinking about booing me when you next play Palace because I’ll definitely be ‘injured’ that day. Thanks (not really).

• 32 Tsunki // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:02 PM

Yes that’s the lazy, useless, non-tracking Ben Arfa with the terrible attitude that Pardew froze out to Hull. What a waste of space that player was. Only good for the likes of PSG.

• 33 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:03 PM

See expat even PPB agrees with me. I’ve not seen you here before PPB but I guess by your name you’ve been away for a while lol

• 34 carl // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:06 PM

Expatmag
    Stop playing lapdog to Tuffism as the conclusion is you’re guilty by association.

• 35 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:06 PM

Hey no problem carl I just can’t stand when guys come on here just to attack and disagree with the same posters all the time. It’s clear he has an agenda here.
    Also wouldn’t be surprised if he has duplicate accounts

• 36 Jail for Ashley // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:09 PM

I hope that Andros Townsend has bought the wingback’s guide to tracking back.

• 37 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:09 PM

To be fair I don’t think ben arfa was ever suited to the English game at all. He should do well if he’s rotated into the current psg team.

• 38 carl // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:10 PM

Lee Charnley- Very accurate finishing he sees opportunities very early. Left footed but uses space on both wings well. Very positive.

• 39 bettyswallocks // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:10 PM

Tsunami…. I don’t really want to say too much about Jail’s predicament other than to say he is conspicuous by his absence and should at the least offer some sort of explanation.

• 40 Jail for Ashley // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:12 PM

@33,
    It can’t be blog suicide for Ian and his merry gang surely.

• 41 manxpie // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:13 PM

Haha he’s only gone and done it again talking to ya self again Ian! !!!!

• 42 Ibizatoon // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:14 PM

Jail…I can’t believe it’s happened again….

More exciting than transfer news…let’s see how it progresses…

• 43 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:15 PM

@jail for Ashley. If it was written by pards it’ll be more of a pamphlet which just reads “defend only! Even though you’re an attacking player. Trust me, I’m the best coach in the world. Or is that carver? No matter. I’m always right, and remember, no blame ever rests on me.
    Thanks for reading, your godlike manager, Alan “hard as nails studmuffin” Pardew

• 44 expatmag // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:15 PM

Yeah….you have to laugh at the keyboard warrior and his pals……lol

• 45 Our Toon // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:15 PM

What a load of tripe, Ben Arfa wasn’t suited to the English game…..Ben Arfa wasn’t suited to pardew’s style of football. The lad has done well and reinvigorated himself after being out of footy for a year. Bruce and pardew are believers in players baby sitting fullbacks, to me it seems to be more of a British mentality. Good luck to him at PSG and under the new manager at the helm there. After watching the debacle of the national team I don’t think anyone should be bigging up the Premier league, foreign exports are what make this league and in Europe British clubs have failed big time recently compared to other leagues. It’s a tough league no doubting that but that’s only because of its physicality not because of the standard of football played

• 46 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:15 PM

Ppb/carl

OOPS! Dropped a right fcuking clanger there,haven’t you!? Troublemaker!

• 47 lesh // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:16 PM

Belfast

If you’re putting yourself as the Blog’s agony aunt/ uncle, you’ll have no shortage of problems to deal with. Your main problem’s going to be who’s really crackers, who’s taking the mick and who’s genuine.

Thanks for your offer of a free trial consultation but not for me (and I suspect Jail).

Best of luck in your new venture.

• 48 Our Toon // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:16 PM

Wasn’t keen on Gayle but good comments from him in this statement. Hopefully he will do well for us, Matt Richie though will be perfect for Mitro with the delivery he has on the left peg. Very good signing

• 49 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:17 PM

Who’s Ian? I’ve not been on a while

• 50 NUFCPaul // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:17 PM

Ben Arfa – great player, bad attitude. What’s the one constant with all the managers he’s pissed off over the years? Ben Arfa! He’s just too huffy.

• 51 expatmag // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:19 PM

Morning IBIZA

I see Wayne is over your way. Keeping his usual low profile after flying in on a 88 quid easyjet flight

• 52 Our Toon // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:20 PM

Nufc Paul

He didn’t piss off his last manager, in fact he took a side that was favourite to go down and took them into Europe

• 53 expatmag // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:20 PM

Who is Ian indeed!!!!!!!

HO HO FCUKING HO…..

• 54 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:22 PM

@our toon. Fair play. That could easily have been the problem. Ben arfa to me should be far better off at a club like psg where he will have more freedom. I still believe the English game wasn’t his forte but that may easily be due to the teams/managers with which he was associated

• 55 Ibizatoon // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:22 PM

PPB…You haven’t spotted it yet? This is pretty painful to watch…

Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:03 PM

You weren’t really intending to say “See, even I agree with myself”, were you?

Expat…Is he? I best rush off out to find him then 🙂

There’s quite a few of them over, from what I hear. Nothing like a week in Ibiza to get over a holiday in France…

• 56 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:23 PM

Here we go with the HBA crap again

He had a poor attitude before and after his time here. Sometime recently he has clearly sorted somthing out in his head, and well done to him. Pardew couldn’t fix him, fair enough, but he did not create the problem in the first place. Why do we have to keep going back to this rediculous discussion

• 57 expatmag // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:24 PM

IBIZA

Yes…photos of him jet skiing off the main beach and lasses raking selfies with him on the el cheapo flight.

• 58 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:25 PM

@expat I remember there was an ian toon when I last was on. Or is this purely an “ian”
    Just like those awful duplicates Bob, Ted, Bill and Jeff?

• 59 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:27 PM

@Ibiza surely I would know if I was talking to myself? If I didn’t know then I’d be…… Mad?……. Oh !@$#@!

• 60 expatmag // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:27 PM

YCMIU

From what I remembr, Pardew couldnt handle most of them. That period when he played 433 with HBA Cisse and Ba up front was some of the best football we played..

• 61 NezzaNUFC // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:28 PM

So we’ve signed Given, Ginola and Bellamy?

What a belta!

We just need to sign Woodgate!

😉

• 62 Ibizatoon // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:28 PM

expat…With his hair flowing in the wind?

Might have to get one of those blown up and framed.

PPB…How long since you last posted then?

• 63 expatmag // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:29 PM

PPB

Leave me out of you chit chat. You done yourself over like a kipper once again……and everyone has seen it……..lol

• 64 manxpie // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:29 PM

It’s taken Arfa 80% of his career to sort himself out that’s pretty tragic Imo and he only has himself to blame

• 65 Mister Tuff // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:31 PM

STOP PRESS MULTIPLES MAKE GAFFE.

Please read this to assure yourselves who the lying B*****d blog wreckers really are.
    Same lot have done this before.

Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:01 PM

Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:03 PM

carl // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:06 PM
    Expatmag

Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:06 PM
    Also wouldn’t be surprised if he has duplicate accounts”.

Carl/Ian/PPB – you complete knobber – you little trick about bringing in other personalities to wage your personal war against blogger has again been reveal.
    You post at 2.03pm – you cocked it up – should have been posted by Carl – but PPB addressed it to himself.

You are a disgrace -get off the blog you trickster and mischief maker. Your trickery has been exposed again.

• 66 expatmag // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:31 PM

IBIZA…….LOL

Problems with his transplant. He should never have trusted Shane Warne

• 67 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:33 PM

@Ibiza on truth I posted 2 days ago and again a month back. But I am returning on a more regular basis now.
    You still an embarrassment on fifa btw?

• 68 expatmag // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:34 PM

TUFF

Noticeable Carl or JIB havent posted since his gaffe. It is enjoyable watching him trying to wriggle out of this one.

By the way, csn I have my dog back please?

• 69 expatmag // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:35 PM

MANXPIE

Very true…….but what a player when on form.

He could have been really special. I wonder how Rafa would have handled him.

• 70 bettyswallocks // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:36 PM

Welshie………. Just to help take your mind off the game and stop you getting too nervous. I thought this might help to relax you.

• 71 Mister Tuff // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:36 PM

Ibiza – I was typing my response and now see you spotted the tricksters chicanery – well worth highlighting to let others see who the real trouble maker(s) is/are on the blog.

Those who doubt – the evidence is before you – conversing with these multiples in my mind is complicity in their blog crimes – just encourages them – get them exposed/vilified.

• 72 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:36 PM

@tuff @expat @ibiza psst. Want to know a secret?

• 73 Ibizatoon // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:38 PM

PPB…I’m glad you mentioned my Fifa skills…no, they haven’t improved.

Have you seen the issue at hand yet? You’ve posted something, which presumably was the work of Carl…not PPB.

I was wondering whether the PPB name had been hijacked, as I definitely remember you from years gone by…just a sleeper cell then?

• 74 carl // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:38 PM

Pardew was saying in Daily Mail today about end games or strategy. He particularly mentions our 3-0 home win against ManU. ” We had a fast mixture of manoeuvring the ball quickly , dangerous set- plays, discipline and power.” He acknowledges that there wasn’t enough of it but that was the aim.
    He sees Townsenend as enabling s key identity for Palace and producing more of it.

I can’t remember too many dangerous set plays just the opposite.

• 75 Mister Tuff // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:40 PM

expat – these folk are real saddos – give em enough rope and they eventually out themselves.
    The bother they’ve/he’s caused on here is disgraceful – even those who do not normally get involved will see who the lying machiavelian mischief maker is.

• 76 Mister Tuff // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:42 PM

we know your secret – by being a knobber you’ve outed yourself —————duh – thicko.

• 77 Belfast // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:43 PM

Always find it best to agree with Belfast in these situations Lesh. He is quite knowledgeable in my opinion.

• 78 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:44 PM

@Ibiza same guy, not played fifa in years though. In all honesty I am trying to confuse the blog schizophrenic (Mr duplicate) Part of the reason I left in the first place if I’m honest.

• 79 firebug666 // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:46 PM

hahahahaha, glad to see nothing has changed, same “POSTER” different “NAMES”. Best ignored until he/she settles on one name, and engages the blog with some respect.

• 80 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:47 PM

@firebug hopefully the duplicates brain has exploded

• 81 lesh // Jul 1, 2016 at 4:07 PM

Bettys

There was a pub I used to use and it was near the Newcastle Met Office – before they closed that one.

Anyway, one of the forecasters used to get in and he had served some time at the station on the Falklands. He thus wore the Falklands tie which was decorated with sheep. He used to say he knew every one them by name!

Now why would Welshyboyo remind me of that.

previous post: Ritchie Turns Down Record Bournemouth Deal To Join Magpies