Newcastle Announce Second Signing Of The Day

Just come back from breakfast with one of my sons Paul and would you believe it – our second signing of the day and 26 year-old Matt Ritchie is now a Newcastle player.

Fantastic.

That’s three players signed in the last three days and all good signings and more to come next week – hopefully a couple of very good defenders.

matt ritchie

Matt Ritchie – third signing this week

Here’s some of what Newcastle put out about Matt on the web-site:

=====

Newcastle United have completed their third summer signing with the arrival of winger Matt Ritchie from AFC Bournemouth.

The 26-year-old Scotland international has agreed a five-year deal at St. James’ Park, and follows goalkeeper Matz Sels and striker Dwight Gayle to Tyneside.

Ritchie spent three-and-a-half years at Bournemouth, making 142 appearances, scoring 31 goals and recording 29 assists.

He helped the Cherries lift the League One and Championship titles, as well as playing a key role in establishing Bournemouth in the Premier League last season.

Previously, Ritchie started his career at Portsmouth and spent time on loan at Dagenham & Redbridge, Notts County and Swindon Town, before joining the Robins permanently.

======

This is what Matt has said after signing:

“It’s an unbelievable feeling to come to a football club like this,”

“I loved it at Bournemouth – I had a fantastic time there and it had a huge impact on my career. But when a club like Newcastle comes calling, I couldn’t pass up this opportunity.”

“It’s fantastic to be here and I’m really looking forward to the challenge of getting the Club back in the Premier League.”

Newcastle United manager Rafa Benitez said this after the signing:

“We have been following some wingers for a while and Matt was one of the best prospects for this team.”

“He has great ability and pace, and as soon as we knew that Andros Townsend could be leaving, our priority was to finalize this deal.”

“We have signed an exciting winger who has experience in the Championship but has also proved that he can step up to the top level. I am delighted that he is now part of our squad.”

So it looks like Rafa did bring in Matt for Andros Townsend, although both could have been used if Andros had decided to stay.

Matt is an excellent signing for Newcastle and we know Rafa can make him into an even better player than he is now.

Very good work by the club this week to get three players in by the first day of pre-season training.

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jul 1, 2016 at 2:43 PM

You know what? I would really like to know what YCMIU thinks about this. I trust his opinion.

• NezzaNUFC

Jul 1, 2016 at 2:43 PM

BOOOOOOOOOOOM

Git in!

A proper team is coming together now, does anyone know of the transfer kitty?

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jul 1, 2016 at 2:44 PM

Hey, thanks, YCMIU, but i think we should wait for YCMIU to say something first.

• Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t

Jul 1, 2016 at 2:46 PM

@Ycmiu personally I’m waiting on Carl’s opinion. I trust that guy

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jul 1, 2016 at 2:51 PM

Ppb

Just to be clear… you knowingly replied to yourself while pretending to be carl, in an effort to confuse carl? Is that correct? I do see carl as a troublemaker who plays victim all the time, and may or may not have several accounts.

• firebug666

Jul 1, 2016 at 2:52 PM

Starting to wonder who our new Captain will be, do we have him already, or is Rafa yet to bring him in?

• Belfast

Jul 1, 2016 at 2:53 PM

Carl is busy and can’t take yer call right now…… beep!

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jul 1, 2016 at 2:56 PM

Firebug

Maybe Lascelles could be the one?

• Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t

Jul 1, 2016 at 2:56 PM

@Ycmiu it’s an elaborate plan yet ridiculous, one might say you couldn’t make it up. Note however that carl has posted once since and it was actually quite normal and very markedly ignored the shenanigans.
    Whether you believe me or not doesn’t really matter but I will be here to discuss football and will give my (not carl, jib or Ian’s) opinion and will not resort to childish insults.

• richyg01

Jul 1, 2016 at 2:57 PM

Potential captains from current squad:

Mbemba,
    Wijnaldum,
    De Jong

But, like you say, maybe Rafa hasnt brought in his captain yet

• carl

Jul 1, 2016 at 2:57 PM

Belfast
    I quite like ” I am busy can I ignore you some other time”.

• bettyswallocks

Jul 1, 2016 at 2:59 PM

Rob Vollans will be feeling the need to post very soon to show us how it’s done in a professional capacity.

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jul 1, 2016 at 2:59 PM

Ppb

Thats fine by me. Personally if everyone just talked about mainly football interspersed (is that a word?) With other normal stuff, this would be a fine blog indeed.

• firebug666

Jul 1, 2016 at 3:00 PM

YCMIU

Maybe, but I suspect (if he stays) it will be Sissoko, Rafa was making him the Captain at the end of the season.

Another candidate also if he is still here could be De Jong!

• Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t

Jul 1, 2016 at 3:00 PM

@Richy lescelles has captain written all over him. The way he put himself about and communicated with his teammates last season was tremendous to see especially looking at colos distinctly Silent and hands off approach. And lascelles wasn’t even captain! His name is definitely in the hat

• JamesToon

Jul 1, 2016 at 3:01 PM

Lascelles as captain?

• Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t

Jul 1, 2016 at 3:02 PM

@Ycmiu great. Then your view on a new captain?

• JamesToon

Jul 1, 2016 at 3:02 PM

With the current squad this could be our XI against fulham:

Sels

Anita, Mbemba, Lascelles, Dummett

Tiote, Shelvey

Ritchie, Sissoko, Wijnaldum

Gayle

• Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t

Jul 1, 2016 at 3:03 PM

Scratch that I see we already agreed lascelles is up there as a possibility

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Jul 1, 2016 at 3:06 PM

Lol @betty. I’m just a reader now mate.

• firebug666

Jul 1, 2016 at 3:07 PM

JamesToon

Hopefully we will have a great pre-season and the team v Fulham will be difficult to predict. Having depth in the squad will make us a lot less predictable for the opposition.

Good shout so far, but things are changing at Newcastle and a couple more in’s and out’s will start to define what we are.

I still think we will win this fizzy pop league with games to spare.

• davetoon

Jul 1, 2016 at 3:07 PM

Hopefully the onfield presence won’t be left to Lascelles this season. We need 4 or 5 leaders and I still dont see them. Will Ritchie be able to garner immediate respect in the dressing room? Who else is going to step up for us this season and not accept mediocre sheet on the field and to pick the team up after a loss?

• Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t

Jul 1, 2016 at 3:07 PM

@James that looks a good team on paper good mix of player types

• Tsunki

Jul 1, 2016 at 3:12 PM

Ha ha just went out for lunch and saw Ian drop another big clanger and to top it off he’s STILL POSTING! Unbelievably awful firm Ian, just when your protests about the ‘Myth of the Duplicates’ was gaining a tennis purchase and CRASSHHH!! An avalanche of bin lids clatter down on you in a shower of multi-persona gaffes.
    To:
    Ian, seriously now, you need to leave and not return, your mischievous machinations have been cruelly exposed by your inept bungling, fall on your sword if you have any self respect left.
    CC:
    PPB
    carl

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jul 1, 2016 at 3:12 PM

Ppb

As i was saying to firebug i think Lascelles could do it. I know he is young, but he seems to be a natural leader

• Tsunki

Jul 1, 2016 at 3:14 PM

Tenuous purchase….

I’m still laughing at the PPB self post 😀

Ian, tell me – when you ring yourself, is the line always engaged, or do you answer?

🙂 🙂 🙂

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jul 1, 2016 at 3:16 PM

Firebug

Sissoko will surely be off now that townsend has secured his huge move to palace

• bettyswallocks

Jul 1, 2016 at 3:18 PM

Rob….. You might as well join in. The more the merrier.

• Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t

Jul 1, 2016 at 3:19 PM

@tsunki I agree. All dupes leave. There can be only one etc etc.
    But really I’m not them I did make a massive misstep pretending to be. Believe me or don’t but you should see a marked improvement in the fibre of y posts. Duplicate or not that’s surely accepted?
    No more funny business, scouts honour

• firebug666

Jul 1, 2016 at 3:20 PM

YCMIU

PMSL; Yep maybe he will get his big move to West Ham or even Scumberland.

• Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t

Jul 1, 2016 at 3:21 PM

Disclaimer: I was never in the scouts

• Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t

Jul 1, 2016 at 3:23 PM

@firebug I could see him going anywhere for the money. His number 1 destination would probably be China atm

• JamesToon

Jul 1, 2016 at 3:25 PM

The one thing i am concerned about now is that there is MAJOR pressure and EXPECTATION for us to walk the league now, we will have the most expensive squad, best players, best maanger, its up to the lads now to take every game at a time and put in 110% every week

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Jul 1, 2016 at 3:28 PM

Betty, I just don’t really see the point in posting on here anymore. I have too bad of a name now which was my own fault. I just hope the blog has been better off in my absence.

• Tsunki

Jul 1, 2016 at 3:34 PM

Yeah Rob hop on board, there about 150 posters but only four people.

• Tsunki

Jul 1, 2016 at 3:35 PM

Sometimes I say to myself, “Pokat – who did you used to be?”

🙂

• Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t

Jul 1, 2016 at 3:37 PM

Tsunki what if we are all one guy and the blog is just the way this guy has of dealing with all the drama and internal conflict of being a toon fan?

• carl

Jul 1, 2016 at 3:39 PM

Can we also expect no more funny business from the advocates of Tuffism.

Happy to accept apologies.

• Belfast

Jul 1, 2016 at 3:40 PM

You do leave a great legacy though Rob. You’ll always be remembered fondly by me.

• Jib

Jul 1, 2016 at 3:42 PM

I wish I could have taped it but was too late.

The Bosnian striker Edin Dzeko who plays for Roma ( I was looking for Wijnaldum news ) was asked by a Sky Italia reporter if he was going to sign for Sunderland – the look on his face was classic – you’d have thought the reporter had just insulted his grandmother !