The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Announce Second Signing Of The Day

2:41 pm, Friday, July 1st, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 89 Comments

Just come back from breakfast with one of my sons Paul and would you believe it – our second signing of the day and 26 year-old Matt Ritchie is now a Newcastle player.

That’s three players signed in the last three days and all good signings and more to come next week – hopefully a couple of very good defenders.

matt ritchie

Matt Ritchie – third signing this week

Here’s some of what Newcastle put out about Matt on the web-site:

Newcastle United have completed their third summer signing with the arrival of winger Matt Ritchie from AFC Bournemouth.

The 26-year-old Scotland international has agreed a five-year deal at St. James’ Park, and follows goalkeeper Matz Sels and striker Dwight Gayle to Tyneside.

Ritchie spent three-and-a-half years at Bournemouth, making 142 appearances, scoring 31 goals and recording 29 assists.

He helped the Cherries lift the League One and Championship titles, as well as playing a key role in establishing Bournemouth in the Premier League last season.

Previously, Ritchie started his career at Portsmouth and spent time on loan at Dagenham & Redbridge, Notts County and Swindon Town, before joining the Robins permanently.

This is what Matt has said after signing:

“It’s an unbelievable feeling to come to a football club like this,”

“I loved it at Bournemouth – I had a fantastic time there and it had a huge impact on my career. But when a club like Newcastle comes calling, I couldn’t pass up this opportunity.”

“It’s fantastic to be here and I’m really looking forward to the challenge of getting the Club back in the Premier League.”

Newcastle United manager Rafa Benitez said this after the signing:

“We have been following some wingers for a while and Matt was one of the best prospects for this team.”

“He has great ability and pace, and as soon as we knew that Andros Townsend could be leaving, our priority was to finalize this deal.”

“We have signed an exciting winger who has experience in the Championship but has also proved that he can step up to the top level. I am delighted that he is now part of our squad.”

So it looks like Rafa did bring in Matt for Andros Townsend, although both could have been used if Andros had decided to stay.

Matt is an excellent signing for Newcastle and we know Rafa can make him into an even better player than he is now.

Very good work by the club this week to get three players in by the first day of pre-season training.

Tags: Contracts · Matt Ritchie · Newcastle News · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

89 responses so far ↓

• 1 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:43 PM

You know what? I would really like to know what YCMIU thinks about this. I trust his opinion.

• 2 NezzaNUFC // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:43 PM

Git in!

A proper team is coming together now, does anyone know of the transfer kitty?

• 3 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:44 PM

Hey, thanks, YCMIU, but i think we should wait for YCMIU to say something first.

• 4 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:46 PM

@Ycmiu personally I’m waiting on Carl’s opinion. I trust that guy

• 5 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:51 PM

Just to be clear… you knowingly replied to yourself while pretending to be carl, in an effort to confuse carl? Is that correct? I do see carl as a troublemaker who plays victim all the time, and may or may not have several accounts.

• 6 firebug666 // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:52 PM

Starting to wonder who our new Captain will be, do we have him already, or is Rafa yet to bring him in?

• 7 Belfast // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:53 PM

Carl is busy and can’t take yer call right now…… beep!

• 8 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:56 PM

Maybe Lascelles could be the one?

• 9 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:56 PM

@Ycmiu it’s an elaborate plan yet ridiculous, one might say you couldn’t make it up. Note however that carl has posted once since and it was actually quite normal and very markedly ignored the shenanigans.
    Whether you believe me or not doesn’t really matter but I will be here to discuss football and will give my (not carl, jib or Ian’s) opinion and will not resort to childish insults.

• 10 richyg01 // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:57 PM

Potential captains from current squad:

De Jong

But, like you say, maybe Rafa hasnt brought in his captain yet

• 11 carl // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:57 PM

I quite like ” I am busy can I ignore you some other time”.

• 12 bettyswallocks // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:59 PM

Rob Vollans will be feeling the need to post very soon to show us how it’s done in a professional capacity.

• 13 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:59 PM

Thats fine by me. Personally if everyone just talked about mainly football interspersed (is that a word?) With other normal stuff, this would be a fine blog indeed.

• 14 firebug666 // Jul 1, 2016 at 3:00 PM

Maybe, but I suspect (if he stays) it will be Sissoko, Rafa was making him the Captain at the end of the season.

Another candidate also if he is still here could be De Jong!

• 15 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 1, 2016 at 3:00 PM

@Richy lescelles has captain written all over him. The way he put himself about and communicated with his teammates last season was tremendous to see especially looking at colos distinctly Silent and hands off approach. And lascelles wasn’t even captain! His name is definitely in the hat

• 16 JamesToon // Jul 1, 2016 at 3:01 PM

Lascelles as captain?

• 17 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 1, 2016 at 3:02 PM

@Ycmiu great. Then your view on a new captain?

• 18 JamesToon // Jul 1, 2016 at 3:02 PM

With the current squad this could be our XI against fulham:

Anita, Mbemba, Lascelles, Dummett

Tiote, Shelvey

Ritchie, Sissoko, Wijnaldum

• 19 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 1, 2016 at 3:03 PM

Scratch that I see we already agreed lascelles is up there as a possibility

• 20 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jul 1, 2016 at 3:06 PM

Lol @betty. I’m just a reader now mate.

• 21 firebug666 // Jul 1, 2016 at 3:07 PM

Hopefully we will have a great pre-season and the team v Fulham will be difficult to predict. Having depth in the squad will make us a lot less predictable for the opposition.

Good shout so far, but things are changing at Newcastle and a couple more in’s and out’s will start to define what we are.

I still think we will win this fizzy pop league with games to spare.

• 22 davetoon // Jul 1, 2016 at 3:07 PM

Hopefully the onfield presence won’t be left to Lascelles this season. We need 4 or 5 leaders and I still dont see them. Will Ritchie be able to garner immediate respect in the dressing room? Who else is going to step up for us this season and not accept mediocre sheet on the field and to pick the team up after a loss?

• 23 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 1, 2016 at 3:07 PM

@James that looks a good team on paper good mix of player types

• 24 Tsunki // Jul 1, 2016 at 3:12 PM

Ha ha just went out for lunch and saw Ian drop another big clanger and to top it off he’s STILL POSTING! Unbelievably awful firm Ian, just when your protests about the ‘Myth of the Duplicates’ was gaining a tennis purchase and CRASSHHH!! An avalanche of bin lids clatter down on you in a shower of multi-persona gaffes.
    Ian, seriously now, you need to leave and not return, your mischievous machinations have been cruelly exposed by your inept bungling, fall on your sword if you have any self respect left.

• 25 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 1, 2016 at 3:12 PM

As i was saying to firebug i think Lascelles could do it. I know he is young, but he seems to be a natural leader

• 26 Tsunki // Jul 1, 2016 at 3:14 PM

Tenuous purchase….

I’m still laughing at the PPB self post 😀

Ian, tell me – when you ring yourself, is the line always engaged, or do you answer?

🙂 🙂 🙂

• 27 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 1, 2016 at 3:16 PM

Sissoko will surely be off now that townsend has secured his huge move to palace

• 28 bettyswallocks // Jul 1, 2016 at 3:18 PM

Rob….. You might as well join in. The more the merrier.

• 29 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 1, 2016 at 3:19 PM

@tsunki I agree. All dupes leave. There can be only one etc etc.
    But really I’m not them I did make a massive misstep pretending to be. Believe me or don’t but you should see a marked improvement in the fibre of y posts. Duplicate or not that’s surely accepted?
    No more funny business, scouts honour

• 30 firebug666 // Jul 1, 2016 at 3:20 PM

PMSL; Yep maybe he will get his big move to West Ham or even Scumberland.

• 31 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 1, 2016 at 3:21 PM

Disclaimer: I was never in the scouts

• 32 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 1, 2016 at 3:23 PM

@firebug I could see him going anywhere for the money. His number 1 destination would probably be China atm

• 33 JamesToon // Jul 1, 2016 at 3:25 PM

The one thing i am concerned about now is that there is MAJOR pressure and EXPECTATION for us to walk the league now, we will have the most expensive squad, best players, best maanger, its up to the lads now to take every game at a time and put in 110% every week

• 34 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jul 1, 2016 at 3:28 PM

Betty, I just don’t really see the point in posting on here anymore. I have too bad of a name now which was my own fault. I just hope the blog has been better off in my absence.

• 35 Tsunki // Jul 1, 2016 at 3:34 PM

Yeah Rob hop on board, there about 150 posters but only four people.

• 36 Tsunki // Jul 1, 2016 at 3:35 PM

Sometimes I say to myself, “Pokat – who did you used to be?”

• 37 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 1, 2016 at 3:37 PM

Tsunki what if we are all one guy and the blog is just the way this guy has of dealing with all the drama and internal conflict of being a toon fan?

• 38 carl // Jul 1, 2016 at 3:39 PM

Can we also expect no more funny business from the advocates of Tuffism.

Happy to accept apologies.

• 39 Belfast // Jul 1, 2016 at 3:40 PM

You do leave a great legacy though Rob. You’ll always be remembered fondly by me.

• 40 Jib // Jul 1, 2016 at 3:42 PM

I wish I could have taped it but was too late.

The Bosnian striker Edin Dzeko who plays for Roma ( I was looking for Wijnaldum news ) was asked by a Sky Italia reporter if he was going to sign for Sunderland – the look on his face was classic – you’d have thought the reporter had just insulted his grandmother !

• 41 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 1, 2016 at 3:42 PM

Carl you’re not helping me here.
    Also what did Rob do?

• 42 carl // Jul 1, 2016 at 3:43 PM

Thanks I think. Good entertainment and you know something about football as well. I just thought it was another dirty trick but had a good laugh particularly at Tuff’s response and alert to the blog. You really couldn’t make it up.
    Catch you later.

• 43 Mister Tuff // Jul 1, 2016 at 3:43 PM

I see Benny has signed a two year deal with PSG.
    Somebody there must think he can play a bit of football.

• 44 Mister Tuff // Jul 1, 2016 at 3:45 PM

Carl/Ian – advocates of tuffism – give it a rest you clown. You are just spoiling the blog.

• 45 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 1, 2016 at 3:46 PM

I feel like carl just dropped a grenade in my pants and walked out of the room

• 46 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 1, 2016 at 3:48 PM

@tuff theres never been any doubt that he could play. Just whether he would on any given day

• 47 carl // Jul 1, 2016 at 3:50 PM

So what was your blog alert earlier. That wasn’t spoiling the blog. You’re a lying sham and eventually you will be seen for what you are.
    Don’t worry I didn’t have you down for an apology or the usual lackey’s. You really are responsible for driving bloggers away with your dirty tricks.
    I am disgusted even with you an all time low.

• 48 loonie-toon // Jul 1, 2016 at 3:50 PM

Looking froward to seeing who is next threw door .

• 49 Tsunki // Jul 1, 2016 at 3:52 PM

Meanwhile we are trading like a market stall, in other news…

• 50 BandB // Jul 1, 2016 at 3:53 PM

Pointing out Ian’s latest post agreeing with himself is unconstitutional, and he will not be resigning.
    The membership is right behind him.

• 51 nightfa11 // Jul 1, 2016 at 3:53 PM

Really happy with ritchie..I rate him way higher than townsend.. Townsend is like obertan.. Headless chicken with flashes of brilliance.. Ok..he works harder than obertan, but still..looses Ball way too often.. Sissoko can also leave.. We have a replacement in Perez Who is already a better player..

Next in line to sell: saviet, goufrann, cisse, riviere, Sissoko, de jong, tiote..and probably krull.. All on huge wages Who contribute very little..

Janmaat lescalles mbemba dummet
    Anita shelvey

Perez/gayle wini ritchie

But we need another 4,5 players in.

• 52 Tsunki // Jul 1, 2016 at 3:55 PM

Ha ha carl even signs off like Ian with his chirpy, jaunty and yet sneering “catch you later”…

• 53 Tsunki // Jul 1, 2016 at 3:56 PM

BandB 🙂

I suppose we have to staple that diversity policy to our foreheads, just to remind ourselves…

• 54 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 1, 2016 at 3:56 PM

I will apologize. Tuff has no need to as it was my fault for being on the wind up. Now can everyone stop the insults etc? Unless aimed at me, then fire away

• 55 bettyswallocks // Jul 1, 2016 at 3:58 PM

Rob………. Life is too short to bear grudges. At least you appear to have learnt the error of your ways. That’s all people were asking of you, to own up and move on.

How’s life treating you anyway. Have you come to terms with being gay?

• 56 JamesToon // Jul 1, 2016 at 3:59 PM

Think actually if we don’t get a decent left back that can attack more than Dummett, then would prefer Aarons on the left wing rather than a right footed left winger as he’ll offer more width

• 57 JamesToon // Jul 1, 2016 at 4:00 PM

Would rather have Anita/Sterry competing for right back than Janmaat (doesn’t care)

• 58 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 1, 2016 at 4:00 PM

Nightfa11 I can’t say I agree with selling de jong, he’s not had much chance with injuries costing him big time. At worst he is a good squad player, at best a possible first teamer and captain. 1 more year to decide on him maybe?

• 59 Tsunki // Jul 1, 2016 at 4:01 PM

We all need to get on with the job of posting, for the good of the blog, without all this multiple persona back bench maneuvering……

• 60 Tsunki // Jul 1, 2016 at 4:03 PM

If DeJong isn’t ready and firing on all three cylinders by game one, when will he ever be? I think he’s knacked, need to find out who will take a bong-eyed jelly-legged Dutch man with one lung off our hands…

• 61 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 1, 2016 at 4:03 PM

@tsunki hear hear

• 62 Tsunki // Jul 1, 2016 at 4:04 PM

Bett I don’t think it was Rob who had the terms issue

• 63 Jib // Jul 1, 2016 at 4:06 PM

If Rafa is going to play his favourite 4-2-3-1 and it is successful for the 4 games Big Al is out .
    I cannot see a way back into the side for the Serbian !
    He is 6’3″ – I wonder what kind of CB he would make ?

• 64 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 1, 2016 at 4:06 PM

@Tsunki there’s not much call for those these days. Perhaps if he fails this year then we can see if there’s any interest in him for the headline role in “Mac and me 2: return of the Mac”

• 65 Jib // Jul 1, 2016 at 4:08 PM

• 66 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jul 1, 2016 at 4:08 PM

Betty, thanks mate. Yeah, it’s strange, it’s only out to a few people and I have been told to keep it to myself because it could put my younger siblings in danger at school if it got out. But I have been fine, what about you? Hope things have been well.

• 67 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 1, 2016 at 4:10 PM

@jib he is not as mobile as rafa would like but I’d say he is worth having as he offers something our other (current) forwards don’t, strenghth, size and an intimidation factor. I think rafa will see the potential in him. He has time to improve

• 68 lesh // Jul 1, 2016 at 4:11 PM

My Turkish’s a bit rusty these days – can you provide a translation of the link you posted, lütfen?

• 69 Jib // Jul 1, 2016 at 4:14 PM

Lesh use Google translate
    Then use use your imagination cos the translations are crap

• 70 firebug666 // Jul 1, 2016 at 4:14 PM

Mowbray says Adam Armstrong loan could depend on if Rafa buys £8m Spanish striker.

• 71 JamesToon // Jul 1, 2016 at 4:15 PM

The beauty now is, Mitro offers us a different option, if we’re against a team with smallish defenders, we can stick Mitro up top to bully them, if we’re against big defenders, we can play Gayle/Arma as they will run the channels and use their pace to get in behind

• 72 bettyswallocks // Jul 1, 2016 at 4:16 PM

Rob….. I’m fine thanks. Just be yourself mate. If you’re happy and comfortable with your own sexuality then that’s all that should matter. Nobody has the right to judge you on it ? I just hope it was your own decision and you didn’t get sucked into it.

• 73 Average_Contents // Jul 1, 2016 at 4:16 PM

Duhhhh. He’s done it again. Pushy pardew episode 2. Just give up Ian you sad little worm.

Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t
    July 1, 2016
    Hey no problem carl I just can’t stand when guys come on here just to attack and disagree with the same posters all the time. It’s clear he has an agenda here.
    Also wouldn’t be surprised if he has duplicate accounts

July 1, 2016
    Stop playing lapdog to Tuffism as the conclusion is you’re guilty by association.

Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t
    July 1, 2016
    See expat even PPB agrees with me. I’ve not seen you here before PPB but I guess by your name you’ve been away for a while lol

Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t
    July 1, 2016
    Expat why do you insist on threatening the best members of this blog (ie the ones who speak sense) when you have such awful input yourself?

July 1, 2016
    Yes Expat – “all we need is tinkering”.
    You’re not on the Leicester City blog- hello, hello. Anybody there?

• 74 firebug666 // Jul 1, 2016 at 4:18 PM

It’s simple mate, Fenerbahce could get Ben Arfa so they have turned their attention to De Jong. He may actually be suited to their league too.

• 75 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jul 1, 2016 at 4:20 PM

Betty, I definately wasn’t sucked into it. It’s something that you come to realise as you get older, I always had a hunch that I was gay when I reached the age of 11 so… Yeah. But yes!! I’ve been much more myself recently and it feels great. I’m glad that you’re allowing me to have a conversation with you, I feel really privileged right now.

• 76 Mister Tuff // Jul 1, 2016 at 4:21 PM

carl/Ian why do you continue with your mischief on the blog.
    I can partially understand why you first introduced your multiple gang – well someone had to agree with your posts as nobody else did.
    Your endless quest to be blog alpha dog will never be realised – maybe only in your warped mind.
    The more you post using your multiples only gives more evidence to confirm again and again there is only one author of all this mischief Ian Toon.

I now can only think that your persistence with your blog mischief is probably sexual – homo -erotic – you are aroused in the presence of men (apologies to the ladies who post).

Give it a rest you saddo.

• 77 Jib // Jul 1, 2016 at 4:23 PM

has a contract until 2020 and would cost €6.75 million he has been recommended by RvP

• 78 bettyswallocks // Jul 1, 2016 at 4:24 PM

Rob….. I’m happy to chat with you as long as you don’t try anything on with me.

• 79 Jib // Jul 1, 2016 at 4:24 PM

Mr Tuff
    Any chance you could take your own advice ?
    “Give it a rest you saddo”

• 80 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 1, 2016 at 4:26 PM

Woah. Seriously mistimed and misjudged post tuff. Seriously mate read the thread now!

• 81 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jul 1, 2016 at 4:32 PM

Lol betty, that’s not why I signed up to this site.

• 82 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jul 1, 2016 at 4:33 PM

Anyway I’m getting back off now. Thanks for the chat betty. Peace.

• 83 carl // Jul 1, 2016 at 4:34 PM

Clearly some believe that I was speaking to myself.

• 84 Mister Tuff // Jul 1, 2016 at 4:35 PM

Said the same the other day – nowt to do with todays events.

Jib – you are always emboldened when you blog boss makes an appearance.
    You were whimpering like a tart when expat pulled you up earlier for your mischief and lies.

Boohoo, boohoo.

Now if you don’t mind, clear off, I need to practice my chant for tonights game.
    ” allez les diables rouges, allez les diables rouges”

• 85 Our Toon // Jul 1, 2016 at 4:36 PM

It would be a disaster if Anita played as the DM in the championship next season, it’s not a role he’s excelled in the prem let alone the championship where it will be tougher on the physical aspect of the game. Personally for me Tiote would be perfect if he stayed and was made as captain

• 86 bettyswallocks // Jul 1, 2016 at 4:38 PM

Rob/YMFB…….. Was only teasing you. I bear no grudge against you . I can’t speak for others but I’ll chat to you anytime.

• 87 Tsunki // Jul 1, 2016 at 4:52 PM

Betty @72 ooohhh you are awful…..

• 88 beefman13 // Jul 1, 2016 at 4:56 PM

Everything just seems right, its a long old season this championship lark, but good vibrations all round, howay the lads.

• 89 SPRINGY // Jul 1, 2016 at 4:59 PM

just looking at the nufc tv freeview on news now and it looks like rafa has a bit more time for the likes of lascelles and shelvey, so they would look like favourites to be captains going off that video to me….also gini looked like he did’nt want to be there,bit of a lip on tbh….just first gut impressions looking at the little clips.

previous post: New Signing Cannot Believe He’s Made It To Newcastle