The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Townsend Explains Why He Just Had To Leave Newcastle

11:53 am, Friday, July 1st, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 39 Comments

Andros Townsend has sent a message to the Newcastle fans from his Instagram account (officialtownsend).

This has come on the day that he signed on at Crystal Palace for the release clause of  £13M in his contract.

The England winger has opened up on why he left Newcastle and he says it’s based purely on football reasons and his desire to play in the Premier League.

Newcastle United Unveil New Signing Andros Townsend

Andros Townsend – when he signed for Newcastle in January

Here’s what the England winger has said:

“I’d like to put on record my sincerest thanks to the manager, Board and fans of Newcastle United for the warmth and support they have shown me since I joined in January.”

“Please believe me when I say that this has been an incredibly difficult decision and one I have not taken lightly.”

“I signed for Newcastle fully aware of the task at hand and it was my absolute desire to keep the club in the Premier League.”

“I hope the fans could see that from day one I gave everything I possibly could during the season and never once gave up on the fight for survival. That’s why it was so hard when despite those efforts we fell short.”

“The future for Newcastle is very bright, with some great young players and an outstanding manager who I have the utmost respect for.”

“However, after talking at length with the manager and Managing Director I have made the decision to leave the club based purely on footballing reasons, with my wish to remain in the Premier League.”

“I remain humbled by the support of the fans during my time at Newcastle and wish everyone associated with the club success for the future.”

“The fans deserve a winning team and I fully expect to see the club promoted back to the Premier League at the first attempt.”

“However, after talking at length with the manager and managing director I have made the decision to leave the club based purely on footballing reasons, with my wish to remain in the Premier League.

“Thank You.”

It’s good that Andros wrote that but it seems a very short-sighted decision to give up Newcastle United and Rafa Benitez for Crystal Palace and Alan Pardew.

Tags: Andros Townsend · Newcastle News · Other News · Transfer News and Rumours

39 responses so far ↓

• 1 juan // Jul 1, 2016 at 11:57 AM

Cockney snake. Hope pardew works his magic with him. Palaces new left back

• 2 scout // Jul 1, 2016 at 11:57 AM

Hope you get relegated pal. Not one bit of loyalty. Sitting in the reserves at Spurs for 2 year then we got you back, karma will strike you down.
    Never do those down who help you out.

• 3 G // Jul 1, 2016 at 11:57 AM

Thanks for your time Andros, think you have dropped an enourmous b@llock signing for Palace, but cheers anyway.

• 4 lesh // Jul 1, 2016 at 12:00 PM

He’s got a good PR writer behind him. But, he didn’t say what his footballing reasons are/ were.

• 5 Shadow_Shearer // Jul 1, 2016 at 12:00 PM

I got a feeling in two years time he’s going to be regretting this decision. Espically joining pardew, the whole newcastle team could tell u what kind of manager he is.

Never the less, despite I’m disappointed he left, still say good luck to him for the future.

• 6 Jail for Ashley // Jul 1, 2016 at 12:02 PM

Said the wrong thing there Andros, footballing reason Mehmet.

• 7 Jail for Ashley // Jul 1, 2016 at 12:05 PM

Meh even !

• 8 NezzaNUFC // Jul 1, 2016 at 12:08 PM

So having a nifty pay cheque didn’t sway towards you?

Talk about being disrespectful.

He chose to leave Newcastle, Rafa and England squad over Palace, Pardew and never playing for England again?

Karma will come!

• 9 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 1, 2016 at 12:10 PM

I dont hate him for this. I just think it is incredibly daft. Had it been a top 10 team, then i’d understand, but Palace?!?!

Oh, and at least we can put to be the rediculous notion that the comments here are the reason he left, since he repeated his thanks for fans support and warm welcome. Still can’t believe ANYONE can even imagine that as a possibility ffs

• 10 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 1, 2016 at 12:14 PM

And i am saying that in defense of the people who were not keen on him coming here. I was one who did want him.

When we are in europe in a few seasins time,and he is securing 15th place with palace with 2 games to spare, we won’t be wanting him back.

• 11 Belfast // Jul 1, 2016 at 12:16 PM

Obviously by football decision he means his international career.

• 12 Belfast // Jul 1, 2016 at 12:19 PM

I assume he had somebody in his ear in the England set up. You need to be playing regularly in the premier league if you want to play for Engerrrrrrrrrrrland.

• 13 Tsunki // Jul 1, 2016 at 12:20 PM

…and by international career he means stock worth.

• 14 Belfast // Jul 1, 2016 at 12:21 PM

Would he have played every week for Everton or Southampton ? I’m not that sure he would. He’s obviously picked Palace because like with us he’ll start every week.

• 15 geordie157 // Jul 1, 2016 at 12:21 PM

Good luck to him, think he’ll do alright there but it won’t be long until we are finishing above palace in the premier league.

• 16 Belfast // Jul 1, 2016 at 12:22 PM

Any more problems need solving Jail, Lesh etc??

I’m yer man!!

• 17 Belfast // Jul 1, 2016 at 12:23 PM

Palace signed a very good keeper today as well.

• 18 Tsunki // Jul 1, 2016 at 12:24 PM

I see Mr T noticed that Andros is hoping the nice Mr Pardew will take his game to a “Higher Level”! Yes, of course, Prancing ‘Cup Jig’ Percy is just the upgrade on Rafa Benitez that every aspiring England regular wants. Go to Crystal Palace, Throne of the King, young man! There is where fame and fortune await! You have to laugh at the empty headed sound farts these lads come out with. 🙂

• 19 Belfast // Jul 1, 2016 at 12:25 PM

So we basically got Dwight Gayle and 4 million for him ?

Townsend deal was announced straight after the Gayle deal so you’d assume it was all connected.

• 20 Shadow_Shearer // Jul 1, 2016 at 12:27 PM

Pardew realise on individual talent on the attack. There is no tactics, game plan or philosophy. It’s concentrate on defending, & try not to lose.

• 21 Tsunki // Jul 1, 2016 at 12:28 PM

*pooot*….*blaaaart*… Mr Pardew will *faaarrrt*…improve my..*boooof*….game where Rafa couldn’t..*blaaart*….*BOFFFFFF*.

• 22 AncientC // Jul 1, 2016 at 12:32 PM

Townsend is no doubt the replacement for Bolasie, the one man keeping Crystal Palace in the Premier League. I give Townsend 5 games until he is injured or receiving criticism for his inconsistent performances, whilst Palace wallow around the relegation zone continually.

I wonder in light of Palace’s form, if Townsend has another release clause in his contract should Palace go down. I would imagine so. Same agent, same fee, same deal on the table.

This time next year, Crystal Palace could be in the championship, and Townsend could be linked with a move back to ourselves.

I have no sour grapes, as I do not think Townsend will be a big loss… he is temperamental, injury prone, and an inconsistent ball hogger. He does score a few nice goals a season though.

I have to admit, I am partially looking forward to seeing how both Crystal Palace & Townsend crack on next season. I am fully expecting the club to tank, with Townsend putting in a performance 1 in every 3/4 games… when he is fully fit that is.

How will Pardew respond to Townsend holding onto the ball too long and losing it? The Gouffran training model will be brought out.

• 23 Blofal // Jul 1, 2016 at 12:34 PM

No other player worked as hard Townsend to keep us from relegation.

He was our best player and came on the condition of a get out clause should we be relegated (a smart move given how badly this club has been run to date)

For the effort he made to keep us up (more than any other player) we owe it to him to allow his wish to stay in the premier league without any malice. It’s selfish of any fan to do otherwise.

• 24 JP...from The Rock // Jul 1, 2016 at 12:37 PM

He is entitled to that decision. Good luck to ya, shame we couldn’t keep you. No hard feelings.

Please lets not boo him when he plays against us it makes look like twats. At least he has had the decensy to come out and give as a reason for his move which is more than most have ever bothered to do before.

• 25 loonie-toon // Jul 1, 2016 at 12:40 PM

Pardew might promised to teach him is dance moves we seen in fa cup final if he had gone euros he might of stayed or well ina bit #SELLOOT

• 26 bettyswallocks // Jul 1, 2016 at 12:41 PM

Rotonda…….. We may see Rafa using speed and skill to get past defenders as oppose to wingers crossing it into a big CF. To have Mitro as an option to hold it up and knock it down for the smaller quicker guys could also be handy though.

• 27 Shadow_Shearer // Jul 1, 2016 at 12:42 PM

The news of townsend gone has overshadowed the signing of dwight gayle. Let’s look at the positives.

• 28 Jib // Jul 1, 2016 at 12:43 PM

I don’t think Rotonda is too far from the truth when he infers the new CP owners have Pardew on borrowed time.
    Townsend may have been told that AP is a dead man walking.

• 29 bettyswallocks // Jul 1, 2016 at 12:44 PM

Jail….. What was that about you wanting to get rid of SBR.

• 30 loonie-toon // Jul 1, 2016 at 12:44 PM

Wonder if Gayle gunner get no9 shirt

• 31 Our Toon // Jul 1, 2016 at 12:44 PM

Well he’s gone, I can’t say I’m surprised, got plenty of stick from those who said he’d stay because he loves the fans and Rafa has changed him, when are people going to realise managers and players are fickle

• 32 Mister Tuff // Jul 1, 2016 at 12:45 PM

Jail – do not let the multiple gang drive you from the blog. I noticed the unsolicited poke at you earlier. They/he is always trying to start a ruck -then incredibly claim victim status and blame others.
    Why their mischief does not stop goes to show they think nothing of the blog and other people.
    The prize of blog supremo/alpha dog that he/they wants to achieve is a position in his sick mind rather than something which actually exists.

• 33 JamesToon // Jul 1, 2016 at 12:48 PM

For those who don’t know much about Matt Ritchie, let me fill you in as ive watched him a lot over the past 2 years as i do actually live in bournemouth. For starters as i have a lot of mates who are bmouth fans, they are absolutely gutted hes gone.

About what he can actually do, i’d say hes almost like for like with townsend, maybe apart from the fact hes not as quick/direct. But hes got a cracking left foot, good with his right as well, hes very tricky and unpredictable, likes to switch the play a lot and bring other teammates into the game, if you remember against us, he absoutely rinsed us down the right in both games. One of the best attributes about him is that he worked so hard for bournemouth, always helping out the full back, always defending when the team is defending, and is such a danger in and around the box. He got something like 15 goals and 10 assists when bmouth won the chmapionship which is insane! so hes proven at this level and a lot of bmouth fans would tell you hes easily top 10 premier league quality.

• 34 Mister Tuff // Jul 1, 2016 at 12:56 PM

A good yardstick in the Townsend tale is the Aubameyang story.
    ASSE wanted to flog PEA to NUFC three years ago – but he chose to get less money by going to Dortmund because they had a better coach – Klop.
    Why someone going places (hopefully going places MMmmm???) would rebuke RAFA and choose the coaching of King Percy is a mind blower.

• 35 NUFCPaul // Jul 1, 2016 at 1:43 PM

Actual Andros statement – ‘I came to your club due to the fact that nobody else was really interested in me. I was in the Spurs’ reserve team and had a reputation to rocking the boat. Luckily you took a chance on me and I played well enough with Newcastle to get back into the England team. Sadly you were relegated and I was one of the first rats to jump ship because I don’t give a damn about which club I’m playing for due to my total lack of loyalty. I hope you can all understand that footballers are mercenaries these days and forgive me. Don’t bother thinking about booing me when you next play Palace because I’ll definitely be ‘injured’ that day. Thanks (not really).

• 36 lesh // Jul 1, 2016 at 2:02 PM

Townsend’s probably thought about Pardew being named as a possibility for England manager, put two and two together leading him to think that when Pardew’s appointed, he [Townsend] will be an automatic choice for England.

Silly lad, swayed by Pardew’s bull!

• 37 stephen1971 // Jul 1, 2016 at 4:50 PM

why do people think we owe this lad respect ? lets face it we dragged him from the dark, made his future bright and got him back in england squad, then turns his back on us, good riddance, we don,t want players like that, ritchie for him will do for me , ok townsend maybe faster and more direct but look at stats and you,ll see ritchie towers over him, him and arrons will terrify defenses, i just hope they don,t use perez as a part player as he has bags of potential and unless mitro sorts his attitude out on field then i think he might be gone, he,s a marked man now and the last thing we need is him letting the team down a few times a season because of it, anyway i think the 3 new signings look spot on, i don,t care who goes, if they don,t want to be here then off you go

• 38 Adywakey // Jul 1, 2016 at 6:13 PM

Surely a 12 month loan deal with a view to a move if we don’t go back up would of been better….

• 39 DubaiMicky // Jul 2, 2016 at 6:19 AM

You never know, Pardew might still get the England Manager’s job (Although I think Big Sam will), where will that leave him?

previous post: Charnley On What Happens When Newcastle Were Incompetent