The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Townsend Signs For Crystal Palace – I’m Extremely Delighted

9:40 am, Friday, July 1st, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 24 Comments

The Crystal Palace web site have just announced the signing of Andros Townsend from Newcastle.

andros townsend

Townsend  said this:

“I’m extremely delighted.”

“I had chats with the manager and Chairman before I signed and I’m pleased to be a part of  Crystal Palace’s future.

“By the sounds of things it’s going to be a bright one and I can’t wait to get started.”

Chairman Steve Parish has added:

“It’s fantastic that we’ve managed to get a player of Andros’ quality into the Club.”

“He has played in the Premier League for a number of years and represented England on many occasions and yet he’s still only 24-years-old.

“Andros is another exciting attacking talent that we have added to our ranks and I can’t wait to see him in a red and blue shirt in the very near future.”

As a reminder this is what Andros said a short six months ago when he signed for Newcastle United:

“Newcastle is a fantastic club with great fans, a great stadium and has a great tradition,”

“As soon as I heard Newcastle were interested in me, there was only one place I wanted to go,  so I can’t wait to get started.”

We’re disappointed Andros has left Newcastle United after world-class manager Rafa Benitez made him into a much better player in a very short 10 games.

The deal was for £13M – the release clause in his contract in case we were relegated – and Rafa will now have that money to further invest in the squad.

Losing a top player like Andros is just one price you pay for relegation and we deserved to go down because of the completely incompetent way Newcastle has been run over the last few years – so we cannot complain too much.

We are delighted to have Rafa now running the club and we look forward to great times returning again to Newcastle United.

Tags: Andros Townsend · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

24 responses so far ↓

• 1 richyg01 // Jul 1, 2016 at 9:41 AM

Not sure why you are wasting blog space on non-NUFC players ed! lol

• 2 Average_Contents // Jul 1, 2016 at 9:46 AM

Similar statements about his excitement.

Shock, horror. Thick cnut. Hope you get dropped into the reserves and then relegated with that smarmy snake at the helm.

Bitter much lol.

• 3 posada // Jul 1, 2016 at 9:49 AM

Will Rafa really be disappointed about this. We have banked 13M and already signed his replacement by all accounts.
    He got himself fit and played a few good games for us. He played a few average ones as well.
    Underlying it all are the reasons he did not fit in a Spurs.
    After he has been Pardewed we might get the option to sign him back for 2M. I’d pass on that.

• 4 Mister Tuff // Jul 1, 2016 at 9:50 AM

King Percy will “Pardew” Townsend – then the rows will start and Townsend will start his legendary sulks. Good riddance.

• 5 hibbitt // Jul 1, 2016 at 9:52 AM

andros WHO !!!

• 6 Laurent Robert 32 // Jul 1, 2016 at 9:57 AM

Have a nice time playing full-back, Andros.

• 7 Oldgit1 // Jul 1, 2016 at 9:57 AM

It’s not often I get angry, it appears that footballers are like politicians all bloody liars and look after number 1.
    I bet Spurs supporters are laughing at him ending up at Crystal Palace who just avoided relegation. I for one really hope he falls flat on his face.
    I wonder if after next season he will be wanting champions league and will be looking for a top 4 team to sign him. How pissed will he be when in a couple of years Rafa takes us into the champions league. Ok I’m dreaming lol. Can I just say I luv Rafa and have total trust in the man. Bog off Townsend and don’t darken our doorstep again you moron.

• 8 richyg01 // Jul 1, 2016 at 9:59 AM

Never mind him, any update on Ritchie?

He came into Toon last night, medical this morning?

• 9 Lanzatoon42 // Jul 1, 2016 at 10:00 AM

Look forward to seeing you PARDEWED LOL

• 10 Laurent Robert 32 // Jul 1, 2016 at 10:04 AM

I don’t think he looked at Palace’s form record then. Ol’ silver tongue up to his old delusions again.

• 11 SA Toon // Jul 1, 2016 at 10:08 AM

Can’t say I’m not sad to see Townsend go, but it’s done now and we just move forward without him. Pleased so far with the additions (I think Gayle is going to explode in the Championship) and Richie looks like a reasonable replacement for Townsend. If we can strengthen at the back and limit the fallout in the midfield, I think we will deserve the odds the bookies are placing on us. Let the rebuild begin today!

• 12 Munster Mag // Jul 1, 2016 at 10:11 AM

We need more investment, big time.

• 13 SuperShearer // Jul 1, 2016 at 10:12 AM

Signing Ritchie would be a masterstroke. He was one of Bournemouth’s best players last season. Colleague here, who used to work in football, was stunned to hear he might be coming to us, thinks there would be a host of Premiership clubs after him. THAT’s The Rafa Effect.

• 14 Tsunki // Jul 1, 2016 at 10:15 AM

Anyone who wants to go to crystal palace under Pardew must be solely looking at the cash move and not at his playing ambition. So long, whatisname.

• 15 loonie-toon // Jul 1, 2016 at 10:20 AM

Hope e rots there lool

• 16 Tsunki // Jul 1, 2016 at 10:20 AM

…and I expect his timetable to be the next window to move on to another PL side, hopefully one not dallying with relegation.

• 17 Tsunki // Jul 1, 2016 at 10:22 AM

And tbf, it could be that Rafa has sanctioned the move happily to ensure the dressing room is populated with players of the right temperament.

• 18 JP...from The Rock // Jul 1, 2016 at 10:24 AM

Sad to see him go after lighting up the place. But we shouldn’t be bitter and jeer him when we eventually cross paths again. That will only make us look like bitter fools who always give ex players a hard time. We have more class than that and simply forget the lad. Matt Ritchie is a good signing and a player with a thunerous shot in him so maybe we won’t be too dissappointed anyway.

• 19 Spoof // Jul 1, 2016 at 10:25 AM

I’m disappointed as I really did want him to stay, however, PL football and back down to London, you can understand why he has gone, but will he be regretting it come may as he could very well be looking forward to a season in the championship whilst we are looking forward to returning to the PL, and that is the season where PL football is a must as the world cup follows that season, he could very well just have destroyed his WC dreams.

• 20 Moonraker15 // Jul 1, 2016 at 10:25 AM

Ha ha I wonder what position Percy will play him in; how many wingers has he got and no goal scorers? Gayle was their top goalscorer last 3 seasons despite few starts.
    Very disappointed but amazed he’s chosen Palace. Still London, loadsamoney and PL but they’ll be in a relegation battle I’m sure !

• 21 Milburn005 // Jul 1, 2016 at 10:25 AM

Disappointed in this fella, after languishing in no mans land at Spurs we throw him a huge lifeline and propel him back to his best to leave us for palace of all teams, who finished in the bottom six btw. Short sighted to say the least. I hope we smash this league next year and push on on the EPL will he sinks like a stone with pardew I don’t wish him well like some have he’s betrayed the fans and the club who showed faith in him and he’s slapped us clean in the face, an absolute s###house of a man. #soldieroffortune

• 22 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 1, 2016 at 10:26 AM

In fairness to Townsend, at least he performed whilst here in an effort to win a move should we go down. I’m sure both that and the Euros will have played a big part in the effort and application he showed here. Without those carrots, who knows if he has the stomach to perform regularly, he certainly hasn’t shown it. He will be a big fish at Palace, so I’m sure he will do okay there. Good luck to him. Still, Palace have Puncheon, Bolasie, Sako and Zaha all fighting for the same position. Seems an odd signing from their point of view.

Very happy with the Richie signing if it gets confirmed. Gayle is an interesting one, a lot of money, but is something we lack, and has looked a good finisher whenever I’ve seen him in the past. Both add a bit of fight and determination to a squad that lacks it as well.

• 23 manxpie // Jul 1, 2016 at 10:37 AM

Well fusk him then shows his ambition
    could understand if it was to a top 6 club
    hopefully aarons steps up now

• 24 JAMSHA // Jul 1, 2016 at 10:38 AM

Some More News Ritchie Will Be Wearing The New Away Kit Today When He Will Be Announced ??

previous post: Newcastle Announce Signing Of Dwight Gayle – A Dream Come True