The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Wijnaldum, Janmaat, Mitrovic, Others Arrive For Training – Photos

5:01 pm, Friday, July 1st, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 33 Comments

Here are some photos taken at the refurbished Benton Training grounds today on what was the squad’s first day back for pre-season training.

There were a few surprises as the players arrived such as Aleksandar Mitrovic and Gini Wijnaldum, who were both involved with International friendlies for their countries, but they were back today.

gini wijnaldum

A smiling Gini Wijnaldum arrives for training

Here are some other players who arrived today.

daryl janmaat arrives

Daryl Janmaat looks pensive

aleksandar mitrovic arrives

Aleksandar Mitrovic in deep thought
Why did I get myself sent off in that last game?

adam armstrong

Adam Armstrong – a big pre-season for the local lad

dwight gayle arrives

Dwight Gayle – did all his interviews and stuff yesterday

jonjo shelvey arrives

Jonjo Shelvey – could be a star for us this season

kevin mbabu arrives

Kevin Mbabu – got two year contract extension in summer
Big chance for the young Swiss defender

rob elliot arrives

Rob Elliot arrives for rehabilitation on his ACL

tim krul arrives

Tim Krul seems to walk freely – will he be sold this summer?

rafa benitez and coaches arrive

Last but not least – Rafa Benitez and his coaches arrive
Has the manager gained a little weight?
It’s all that home cooking all summer long!

Tags: Aleksandar Mitrovic · Coaching · Daryl Janmaat · Georginio Wijnaldum · Newcastle News · Pre-season · Training Ground

33 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jail for Ashley // Jul 1, 2016 at 5:19 PM

HWTL.

• 2 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 1, 2016 at 5:20 PM

Elliot looks like he is about to steal that car!

• 3 stephen1971 // Jul 1, 2016 at 5:22 PM

mon the rafalution

• 4 Jail for Ashley // Jul 1, 2016 at 5:22 PM

Years ago there was a poster called PPB who changed his name regularly with those same initials, he was openly Gayle and from Leeds.

• 5 Tsunki // Jul 1, 2016 at 5:25 PM

Some chortles and guffaws to be had this good eve. 🙂

• 6 geordie157 // Jul 1, 2016 at 5:25 PM

Is Thauvin back for training?

• 7 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 1, 2016 at 5:26 PM

Krul looks like somone p1ssed on his cornflakes

• 8 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 1, 2016 at 5:28 PM

Mbabu looks like he came Straight Outta Compton

• 9 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 1, 2016 at 5:28 PM

Voldamort has gained weight

• 10 Belfast // Jul 1, 2016 at 5:31 PM

Is Gayle contagious Jail ?

• 11 Belfast // Jul 1, 2016 at 5:33 PM

Pardews perfect battleplan!

• 12 GeordieTwo // Jul 1, 2016 at 5:35 PM

Exciting times. Good to see Gayle and Ritchie in. Now get us a couple of good CB’s Rafa please.

• 13 Tsunki // Jul 1, 2016 at 5:41 PM

Actually it’s janmaat who looks most likely to chaw that motor…

• 14 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 1, 2016 at 5:42 PM

Yeah jail I’m the same guy. One other name was pardews parsnip bonce

• 15 GeordieTwo // Jul 1, 2016 at 5:45 PM

Ibiza has been arguing with me that Rafa is not a god. Absolute tosh Ibiza mate. Here is my pantheon of the gods:
    Your basic no nonsense discount gods:
    Jimmy Nail Ant and Dec, various Monty Pythons
    Medium level hard working up and coming gods:
    Jackie Milburn Sting Peter Sellers
    Star gods:
    Thor Zeus Poseidon
    The real deal. Top, top god. Your best bet if you need a god to save your club.
    Rafa

• 16 GeordieTwo // Jul 1, 2016 at 5:46 PM

Mildew for England!
    Boom, boom, boom boom boom!

• 17 Jail for Ashley // Jul 1, 2016 at 5:52 PM

PPB,
    When I asked you if you were awhile back you denied it. Something tells me Vollans who claimed to be gay recently is up to no good.

• 18 GeordieTwo // Jul 1, 2016 at 5:53 PM

Now tell me Rafa’s not a god Ibiza! Ha! You can’t do it can you? You’ve seen the error of your ways. Glad that’s settled then….. Harrumph.

• 19 GeordieTwo // Jul 1, 2016 at 5:55 PM

Trying to tell me Rafa’s not a god. Can’t believe it….

• 20 GeordieTwo // Jul 1, 2016 at 5:59 PM

Where are the CB’s?
    Boom, boom, boom boom boom!

• 21 Veltmann // Jul 1, 2016 at 6:01 PM

Boom Boom,good to see Wijnaldum back in training 🙂 🙂

• 22 GeordieTwo // Jul 1, 2016 at 6:03 PM

Oh and another thing. I demand a recount on that whole Brexit thing. Harrumph.

• 23 Jail for Ashley // Jul 1, 2016 at 6:03 PM

What a shame Ritchie has decided to play for Scotland it would be absolutely class if he had decided to play for England and got in at the expense of Ratros Townsend.

• 24 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 1, 2016 at 6:04 PM

Jail whether I was gay or the old ppb

• 25 GeordieTwo // Jul 1, 2016 at 6:04 PM

Yes it is Veltmann mate. Now all we have to do is find his plums. Where were they for away games last season?

• 26 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 1, 2016 at 6:06 PM

Oh ps I was pardews plan b toow

• 27 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 1, 2016 at 6:08 PM

Everytime I’ve watched Ritchie he has put cracking crosses into the box. Done it early as well. I think Rafa is building a supply line to suit Mitro with Arma, Gayle and Perez picking up the pieces in and around him. I actually think that we have the got the better wide man with Ritchie in and Townsend leaving.

• 28 carl // Jul 1, 2016 at 6:10 PM

BandB
    I renounce the pervasive evil of Tuffism and the moral bankruptcy of Tuffist apologists.

• 29 Veltmann // Jul 1, 2016 at 6:11 PM

😀

• 30 Jail for Ashley // Jul 1, 2016 at 6:12 PM

PPB,
    Both.

• 31 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 1, 2016 at 6:17 PM

I am the old ppb. I have had my…. Moments but I’m not gay. I am also not Carl or ian

• 32 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 1, 2016 at 6:17 PM

Good luck to Townsend though, no resentment from me. He joined us and performed to the best of his ability and earned himself a move. More than many have done in the past when they wanted out.

Still work to be done, but it does look like a lot of ducks were in a row, and Rafa and Charnley are just picking them off now. Looking forward to the next few arrivals – and interested to see the next couple of departures.

• 33 Fostino // Jul 1, 2016 at 6:24 PM

Exciting week for the toon. Benetiz is sorting the squad early.

Contract Players
    Gutierrez, Ayoze Perez
    Haidara, Massadio
    Heardman, Tom (Offer)
    Janmaat, Daryl
    Krul, Timothy Michael
    Lascelles, Jamaal
    Mbabu, Melingo Kevin (Extended)
    Mbemba, Chancel Mangulu
    Mitrovic, Aleksander
    Riviere, Emmanuel
    Roberts, Callum
    Saivet, Henri
    Satka, Lubomir
    Shelvey, Jonjo
    Sissoko, Moussa
    Smith, Liam Phillip (Offer)
    Sterry, Jamie Michael
    Thauvin, Florian
    Tiote, Cheik Ismael
    Toney, Ivan Benjamin Elijah
    Townsend, Andros
    Vuckic, Haris
    Wijnaldum, Georginio
    Woodman, Frederick John

Here’s our current squad. Posted by sky earlier. We can add gayle..Sels and Ritchie to the list. With andros gone that means we have a squad total of 44 remaining.

I think if we lost thauvin. .cabella..goofy..riverie..cisse..haidira.. bigi..Sammy. .vuckic..colo..It would do us good and reduce squad by 10 more (34)

We may very well lose..wini..De jong. .sissoko..tiote..janmaat..krul. The first 3 I hope we keep so we will say 31 remaining.

With 11 youngsters who’ve barely played any first team footy with the toon (woodman. Sterry. .Smith..Sakta. ..Roberts. ..heardman. ..gillisphey..gilliead…barlaser..armstrong..rolando.) I can only see a handful being involved so we will say 5 which means our playing squad is 25.

We may very well sell the likes of good…Elliott due to injury concerns or they may very well be injured long term so the playing squad is 23 now.

This in my opinion leaves room for improvements needed in the wing back positions and we may very well need a cb too although I like lascalles a lot. ID nearly wait till next year to get a great new no.9 presuming we are p.l. Grade and a new c.m. Too.

Sorry..essay over

previous post: Newcastle Announce Second Signing Of The Day

next post: Are Newcastle Really After Dimitar Berbatov?