The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Benitez Impressed By The Passion Shown By Young Magpies

1:06 pm, Tuesday, July 5th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 103 Comments

Rafa and some of his players spent yesterday afternoon at the inaugural Newcastle United Foundation 1892 Cup, at the Newcastle Youth Academy.

Rafa has commented on his web-site that he was really impressed with the passion shown by the boys and girls of Newcastle who were taking part in the event as they represented their various schools.

The Tournament featured 128 youngsters from eight local schools, each fielding both a boys and girls team.

with the kids

Rafa Benitez with some of the boys and girls yesterday

This is what Rafa put on his web-site about the event:

I spent the afternoon as I did yesterday also with the mini ‘magpies’ at the under-13 tournament organised by the Newcastle United Foundation 1892 with over a hundred children attending.

We have worked on this idea a few days ago and its now become a reality with great enthusiasm shown by all at the club.

I have to say that the players of the first team who have accompanied us during the visit and also myself enjoyed the passion that these young athletes showed in the tournament as well as the support and welcome we have received from them.

Sincerely, thank you.

There is a great deal of contact and gestures from the fans every day and I hope that this new tournament has a great future for the fans – young and old alike.

Meanwhile, the first team are training at a very good pace, with very good attitude and involvement of each and every one of our players.

Come on Toons!

The teams each were given a full set of the new Newcastle home strips for next season, courtesy of Sports Direct, and they don’t go on sale to the general public until this Friday.

Here’s Rafa’s web-site if you want to follow what he puts up on it – there’s more and more stuff on Newcastle.

Tags: Newcastle News · Newcastle United Foundation · Newcastle United Foundation 1892 Cup · Newcastle United Shirts

103 responses so far ↓

• 1 ayecanny // Jul 5, 2016 at 1:10 PM

get donating people! Howay The Lads!!

• 2 Mister Tuff // Jul 5, 2016 at 1:14 PM

Decent blogs this morning. Much better when the multiples are not on causing their mischief.

Funny Jib has not been on much since he said he was making breakfast.
    Judging by his success rate on here I think he’ll still be on breakfast duty.
    He’s probably burnt the bacon, dropped the eggs, and spilled the coffee.

• 3 SPRINGY // Jul 5, 2016 at 1:19 PM

colo contract cancelled he’s on the move on ssn

• 4 SPRINGY // Jul 5, 2016 at 1:20 PM

wonder if theres cb on the way?

• 5 Spoof // Jul 5, 2016 at 1:22 PM

SPRINGY

Colo on the move, shame he couldn’t do that when he was on the pitch lol

• 6 SPRINGY // Jul 5, 2016 at 1:24 PM

cheers and good luck colo.

• 7 WWSBRD // Jul 5, 2016 at 1:24 PM

Enjoy being back home Colo, gave us a few good seasons and a heck of a song to remember u by

Reckon that means the next through the door is a CB (Caulker or Dunk is who Id like)

• 8 SPRINGY // Jul 5, 2016 at 1:26 PM

spoof
    aye very true!lol
    never the greatest defender but was here a long time so credit where its due…..who’s the next captain lads?

• 9 Spoof // Jul 5, 2016 at 1:29 PM

Hanley for me, big strong and imposing, every defence needs them, he could be our Robert Huth.

• 10 Spoof // Jul 5, 2016 at 1:32 PM

Next captain, I’d be happy if it was either Sissoko or Wijnaldum, not because I think that they could be good skippers but because I feel that we need to keep one of them, and if they were skipper then they would still be here, there’s logic there somewhere………..well I think there is !

• 11 SPRINGY // Jul 5, 2016 at 1:33 PM

as long as the new cb is a defender first and foremost,loves to stop goals more then look good will do for me,an out and out defender….and with a bit height,which we lack a bit of tbh.

• 12 SPRINGY // Jul 5, 2016 at 1:34 PM

spoof
    there is method in ya madness,wont they get a few extra quid for being captain as well?

• 13 Tsunki // Jul 5, 2016 at 1:43 PM

So Fabs farewell email hits the inbox to the fan collective, and we part sadly not having a heaved much during his tenure.

Although I have given him plenty of stick for his non-captain captaining style, his ability to dodge derbies and his general adherence to the regime, he has served us well and had his good days on the pitch. So long, Colo, no longer the love of our lives.

• 14 Tsunki // Jul 5, 2016 at 1:43 PM

Achieved.
    Not a heaved.

• 15 Ron Knee // Jul 5, 2016 at 1:48 PM

So. Farewell then.

• 16 bettyswallocks // Jul 5, 2016 at 1:49 PM

Mr. Tuff……… He does appear very flustered. http://sophiechipchaseillustrations.weebly.com/uploads/1/1/4/4/11449729/3388883_orig.jpg

• 17 JP...from The Rock // Jul 5, 2016 at 1:50 PM

Thanks Colo for your service but you can now bugger off to Argentina and we can now replace those old legs of yours with quick, young and strong ones. Either Caulker and Dunk and I am happy or both as we still need to replace Saylor too.

• 18 G // Jul 5, 2016 at 1:52 PM

Captain for me should be Lascelles, the way he came through last season, at the final 8 games or so, he put in a good shift every time he played, he was vocal, and he was rallying those around him get motivated. If we can motivate Gini he would be my Captain, however, I suspect he isn’t going to be the motivator in the Champo.

• 19 G // Jul 5, 2016 at 1:53 PM

@17, JP, nail on the head mate.

• 20 Jail for Ashley // Jul 5, 2016 at 1:53 PM

Good riddance to the curly haired yellow bellied shirker.

• 21 SPRINGY // Jul 5, 2016 at 2:03 PM

another cb name being mentioned now,vegard forren, norway player,anyone else heard anything?

• 22 Rafa Revolution // Jul 5, 2016 at 2:04 PM

BYE

• 23 Jib // Jul 5, 2016 at 2:11 PM

• 24 Shadow_Shearer // Jul 5, 2016 at 2:12 PM

Springy

Don’t know anything about him. But looks decent on fifa 16. Traits leadership, power free kicks, power header & long passer.

Of course that’s only on fifa

• 25 Mister Tuff // Jul 5, 2016 at 2:15 PM

betty @16 – nice one.

• 26 Shadow_Shearer // Jul 5, 2016 at 2:15 PM

G

I like the sounds of lascelle bein captain

• 27 Spoof // Jul 5, 2016 at 2:16 PM

Colo’s open letter

as much as I dislike the lad, this was good of him, it came across as being genuine, well done Colo.

• 28 Jib // Jul 5, 2016 at 2:17 PM

Vegard Forren spent a few seasons at Soton and never got a game.
    The rumours were started by the Newcastle Norwegian supporters site.
    He’s at Molde with Sjolskaer at the mo

• 29 Mister Tuff // Jul 5, 2016 at 2:18 PM

Colo – ok a few years ago but useless last few years. Good riddance -never trust a man who perms his hair.

• 30 Spoof // Jul 5, 2016 at 2:22 PM

Tuff

Keegan permed his hair !

• 31 Mister Tuff // Jul 5, 2016 at 2:29 PM

Spoof – true as a player- but later changed to an ordinary type haircut (mans haircut) after he realised the error of his ways.
    Short back and sides – mans haircut.

Talking of haircuts – I must say in the Euros some of the players are sporting some (in my opinion for what it’s worth) shocking barnets.

The old beards seem to be back in fashion but the haircuts – bloody mohicans, dyed hair – my God what’s the world coming to.

• 32 Spoof // Jul 5, 2016 at 2:38 PM

Tuff

I know, its shocking isn’t it, some have hair cuts which resemble there coutry’s flag, absolutely ridiculous, seriously they should be sent off if they have a bad hair day lol

• 33 SPRINGY // Jul 5, 2016 at 2:43 PM

its probably just another name threw in the mix tbh,but we’ll see i spose.

• 34 Shadow_Shearer // Jul 5, 2016 at 2:54 PM

It was good of coloccini to write an open letter to the fans. At least he took into consideration the fans,& the club. You won’t see sissoko or wijnaldum leaving any letter behind

• 35 Shadow_Shearer // Jul 5, 2016 at 3:05 PM

Colo with an open letter means there is somebody behind the scenes, ready to pen a contract with us. & god knows we really need a central defender or two.

• 36 Graeme // Jul 5, 2016 at 3:24 PM

Shadow @ 35 – hopefully you’re right. God knows we have needed an upgrade at CB for far too long. Mbemb & Lacelles have huge potential, but a bit of age and experience alongside them could make a huge difference to them.

• 37 Jib // Jul 5, 2016 at 3:46 PM

Ronald Koman seems to have shifted his sights from Tim Krul to Leicester’s Kaspar Schmeichel who is delaying over signing a contract extension.

• 38 Shadow_Shearer // Jul 5, 2016 at 4:09 PM

True enough graeme. We needed a central defender years ago. Now we shipped out taylor & coloccini, which should have been done years ago aswel. That could have been the difference relegation & survival.

• 39 JamesToon // Jul 5, 2016 at 4:17 PM

Seems this could be our team for the upcoming season:

Sels
    Arbeloa
    Mbemba/Caulker
    Lascelles
    Castro
    Tiote
    Shelvey
    Ritchie
    Wijnaldum
    Aarons
    Gayle/Mitro

• 40 welshgeordie9 // Jul 5, 2016 at 4:18 PM

Where’s our frigging defenders, aren’t we supposed to be getting 3 in before the squad jet off to Ireland this weekend.

• 41 Shadow_Shearer // Jul 5, 2016 at 4:26 PM

Welsh, 1 should be on his way. Coloccini been told he can go. Don’t know about the other two.

• 42 Spoof // Jul 5, 2016 at 4:29 PM

welsh

there’s plenty of time yet, Rafa does seem to have things in hand, we’ve got the striker we so badly needed, losing Townsend was a blow but we had a replacement in Ritchie already lined up, Colo and Taylor have gone but I’m sure we will have replacement’s in the pipeline, don’t forget we are now a proper club and our business will be done professionally, Rafa will not let us down.

• 43 hibbitt // Jul 5, 2016 at 4:40 PM

welsh

thats the key this weekend a lot can happen in 3 days with Rafa at the helm

• 44 Shadow_Shearer // Jul 5, 2016 at 4:47 PM

I can’t see 3 defenders coming in before Friday. Maybe one. But we don’t need all 3 before we go. Transfer make is not closing

• 45 Shadow_Shearer // Jul 5, 2016 at 4:48 PM

* transfer market is not closing

• 46 JamesToon // Jul 5, 2016 at 4:53 PM

Welshie

If the club have let coloccini go I expect they’ve got someone set to sign within the next few days, I’d put money on caulker, he wants a CB with both prem and championship experience

• 47 Shadow_Shearer // Jul 5, 2016 at 4:56 PM

Kevin mbabu got a 2 year extention. Maybe he will feature alot this season.

• 48 Jammydodger // Jul 5, 2016 at 5:02 PM

Anyone seen much of this guy? youngish very tall cb from blyth

• 49 welshgeordie9 // Jul 5, 2016 at 5:05 PM

Sorry for that little rant guys, when it comes to waiting for something to happen, i haven’t got a lot of patience, as you can see.

Ha ha ha

• 50 Jib // Jul 5, 2016 at 5:05 PM

• 51 GeordieTwo // Jul 5, 2016 at 5:10 PM

The last bottle of hairstyling spray was free from Johnny C.’s spa for Colo. He had some very good seasons early on but he’s past it now. Time to settle down to stud in the green pastures of Argie Colo.

• 52 GeordieTwo // Jul 5, 2016 at 5:16 PM

What about Perez JamesToon? And if Sels starts that must mean Krul is leaving? I wouldn’t be surprised but it hasn’t happened yet. And Sissoko would have to be sold if your lineup is correct. Lots to happen yet. Two CB’s in are a must for me unless we get 1 CB in and move Dummett to CB and get another LB.

• 53 GeordieTwo // Jul 5, 2016 at 5:17 PM

We seem to be having a bit of a goaltender glut developing. We have Krul, Elliot, Sels, and Darlow as senior goalies. You can’t keep 4 senior keepers happy, even in the Championship with 46 games and cups. Somebody will leave soon.

• 54 firebug666 // Jul 5, 2016 at 5:20 PM

G2

Elliot will be out for a while yet so we have three, and even then Krul is just coming back from injury.

• 55 JamesToon // Jul 5, 2016 at 5:28 PM

G2

Sissoko wil leave if he just keeps whining, I think there’s more chance of keeping Wijnaldum. Perez I think could compete for either attacking midfield or striker spot, injuries will occur, that’s just an idea of how we could lineup against Fulham, could be completely different!

• 56 JamesToon // Jul 5, 2016 at 5:29 PM

Krul I think will be off, but does anyone know when him and Elliot will be back? We may keep them if they’re injured until late this year

• 57 Jib // Jul 5, 2016 at 5:33 PM

Thomas Tuchel at Dortmund is hot for Sissoko now.
    Hamburg offered a rejected €12 million but the yellow and blacks are very serious.

• 58 Nufc-83 // Jul 5, 2016 at 5:40 PM

Not had the time to post all day but looking at the comments of wwsbrd on Jaanmatt vs Dummett there does not seem any point as I totally agree with everything he has said with only one add on point about his pace yes he is quick when he gets going but still can’t play football.

Spoof I do agree with you that Hanley would be a good option as I would like to see an imposing experienced CB come in along with a young high potential player.

• 59 hibbitt // Jul 5, 2016 at 5:41 PM

not going to get him for that
    12m euros is not even close
    not penny less than 20m Pounds

• 60 Nufc-83 // Jul 5, 2016 at 5:42 PM

I am pretty certain the following players will be gone and be amazed if any of the below are in the squad come August:
    – Krul
    – Jaanmatt
    – Gini
    – Sissokho
    – Tiote

• 61 GeordieTwo // Jul 5, 2016 at 5:43 PM

Ah yes, thanks lads. So Sels may start the season. If Krul gets fit he’ll want the starting spot back though. Same with Elliot. I see one of them leaving. I hope Perez has put on some muscle. He’ll need it in the Champs. I hope Gru is in the mood as well. We’ll need his passing ability. I agree about Sissoko. I think he will have to be moved on. Hopefully for top dollar.

• 62 Nufc-83 // Jul 5, 2016 at 5:44 PM

On colo he has been a great player for us and was a top class premier league CB for a few seasons but should have went last year.

• 63 Jib // Jul 5, 2016 at 5:45 PM

The Dutch media is full of Wijnaldum to Spurs but they are all just repeating the Telegraph story.

• 64 Bobbybee // Jul 5, 2016 at 5:53 PM

So, Collo is finally on his way home. I personally would like to thank him for his many years of service and for his loyalty last time we went down. Granted, maybe he should have left earlier, but like Willo, it wasn’t his fault repeated managers failed to replace him. He’s had his ups and his downs, but overall he’s done us proud. I wish him nothing but good fortune in whatever he pursues in the future. Best of luck Collo and thanks.

• 65 Nufc-83 // Jul 5, 2016 at 5:59 PM

On another note I’m hoping Rafa does not see Perez as a wide player like last season when he was played on the left. He has a great workrate and desire so does a job there but certainly needs to be played up top centrally. hopefully it was just because we didn’t have a balanced squad so had to play him there.

• 66 Jail for Ashley // Jul 5, 2016 at 6:10 PM

Collo done us proud? He spoke to us once in the five years he was captain. Wouldn’t play in cup games that he knew were being threw. Deliberate sending off. Open letters to his home town club. The most goals against of any PL defender in history. Derby absences. Absolute shite house of a bloke.

• 67 Jail for Ashley // Jul 5, 2016 at 6:13 PM

Fair play to him for writing that letter though I though he was just going to slink off.

• 68 SPRINGY // Jul 5, 2016 at 6:44 PM

seems like a fresh start,rafa committing and given control,taylor leaving a good few signings and now colo going…cant help but think there’s a dark cloud around the corner somewhere….that could just be coz of the way things were run in the past like!lol

• 69 Jib // Jul 5, 2016 at 6:45 PM

I’m starting to get a bit sick of the repeated “Thoughts of Chairman José” on SSN.

Sky are so far up ManU’s arse it’s not funny.

• 70 SPRINGY // Jul 5, 2016 at 6:48 PM

jib
    had enough ten mins after the bloody press conference….been on all day.

• 71 Jib // Jul 5, 2016 at 6:56 PM

• 72 Jib // Jul 5, 2016 at 7:03 PM

Colo hardly deserves the shit he’s getting.
    He’s allowed NUFC to rescind his contract and could easily have toughed it out for another years wages.

• 73 jazzyp // Jul 5, 2016 at 7:17 PM

Thanks and good luck to Colo.Should have gone a few year ago but was a loyal servant of the club, unlike some players that have past through the Nufc revolving door

• 74 Rotonda heights // Jul 5, 2016 at 7:25 PM

jazzy

loyal? who else was going to pay him anything like we were all those years he was in rapid decline.

• 75 Graeme // Jul 5, 2016 at 7:30 PM

He should have been moved on 3 years ago. He has declined rapidly in that time.

• 76 sing in the corner // Jul 5, 2016 at 7:38 PM

Colo’s letter is ok, but I can’t say I’m upset to see the back of him in all honesty. For me he symbolises the rewarding of failure, an air of apathy, an acceptance of defeat and mediocrity that has hung around the club for a good while.

• 77 jazzyp // Jul 5, 2016 at 7:58 PM

We all agree Colo’s time was up, And has been for a few year now. But he did a lot behind the scenes for the Newcastle foundation especially with the handicapped .
    I personally would like to thank him for that rather than rubbish the guy for his services.

• 78 Thump // Jul 5, 2016 at 8:05 PM

@jazzyp: I agree, but his primary duty as a footballer was to put in performances. He did not do that consistently for three seasons, and apparently he didn’t want away enough to not sign a year extension on his contract.

Thanks for the good times, Colo, I’m glad you enjoyed at least some of your time here and all the best for the future. The door is over there, mate.

• 79 Average_Contents // Jul 5, 2016 at 8:05 PM

Brace for the throb….

• 80 Bobbybee // Jul 5, 2016 at 8:21 PM

Twice our footballer of the year? I wasn’t asking for anybody elses opinion, if you can read. I said in my opinion. You have your opinions, but they mean nothing to me as mine mean nothing to you. When I want your opinion, I’ll ask for it, but when I start with my personal opinions, that’s what they are. Mine. Can you possibly grasp that not everything on here is about you? Very little is in reality. In such situations, when somebody leaves, I have the right to express my opinion. We all know yours and for most ignore them. I wish him well. Me. Plenty other too apparantly. Twice footballer of the season. Yeah, really crap.

• 81 jazzyp // Jul 5, 2016 at 8:23 PM

Thump

Name any Nufc player that has performed consistently of late bud ??.
    Nufc has been on a downward spiral for many year which has yet again rewarded us with yet another Relegation .
    Colo has been a flaw in the cog, But so have many others

• 82 goommy // Jul 5, 2016 at 8:32 PM

Rafa look so happy like a gramps playing with his grandchilds. XD

• 83 Bobbybee // Jul 5, 2016 at 8:37 PM

Jazzy, agreed mate. He gave us many years of his life and was well rewarded for it. He wasn’t the best, but he was hardly the worst. Want to blame anybody, blame those who failed to replace him when his better years were behind him. The whole team has been in turmoil for years and it certainly wasn’t entirely down to Collo. I personally wish him the best in the future, the good, the bad and the ugly of his career.

• 84 jimmysmith // Jul 5, 2016 at 8:43 PM

It’s the club that has underperformed over the past 8 years far more than the player and so it’s grossly unfair to single out Collocini, who was as good as Cabaye, Enrique, Ba, Debuchey, but stayed. He’s been far better on balance than Cheik Tiote for example, or Cisse, or Sissoko, or Ben Arfa and countless others who shouldn’t have been there at all. Really who has been better for a club that has relied too much, for too long, on too few players of his quality, just to get by.

• 85 jazzyp // Jul 5, 2016 at 8:45 PM

Bobbybee

Players cannot win nowadays. Townsend was exceptional for us in his brief stint, Yet has been slaughtered by fans for moving on to another club because of his success on the field.
    Colo has had good stints at the club as well as bad, But is only remembered for the bad.
    Both cases can be blamed firmly at the hierarchy’s door

• 86 jazzyp // Jul 5, 2016 at 8:48 PM

Anybody know about this Jonny castro fella we are linked with from Celta vigo ??

• 87 Jail for Ashley // Jul 5, 2016 at 8:55 PM

Bobbybee,
    This is a blog, an open forum, if you leave a post you don’t get to choose who comments on it. I’ve seen one of my favourite players of Ashley’s regime absolutely slated on here, who was also player of the year twice and a much more honest oro imo than Collocini. Feel free to leave an opinion!

• 88 jazzyp // Jul 5, 2016 at 9:04 PM

A lot of chatter that the Hornets have accepted a £7m bid from Newcastle United for Craig Cathcart

• 89 Jib // Jul 5, 2016 at 9:10 PM

Oh No!
    Not an Ulsterman !
    Belfast will never be off the blog !

• 90 jazzyp // Jul 5, 2016 at 9:16 PM

Total Dutch Football ?@TotalDutchFB · 9m9 minutes ago

The agent of Siem de Jong has told @caughtoffside that he wants to remain at #Newcastle this season #NUFC

• 91 Jail for Ashley // Jul 5, 2016 at 9:22 PM

Collocini very much like Pardew has left the fans very divided in their thoughts. A definite symptom of Ashley’s reign here.

• 92 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 5, 2016 at 9:37 PM

@JazzyP

I look at that as good news De Jong owes us some performances big time after we have paid his wages for 2 seasons and not got much in return!

I also think he will want to prove a point rather than being shipped off to early retirement in Turkey

He needs to prove his fitness though but a good pre season and with some pace around him such as Gayle and Richie to create space for him he could be deadly in the Championship especially as we will be expected to break down every team rather than hope for the best !

• 93 toon22 // Jul 5, 2016 at 9:40 PM

The season hasnt even started and i have the feeling we will see a statue of Rafa at the ground in the future.

• 94 welshgeordie9 // Jul 5, 2016 at 9:48 PM

Soccer Sauce
    Soccer Sauce – ?@soccer_sauce

Just in: Craig Cathcart is one of the defensive options being looked at by #NUFC Player would be more affordable than Caulker

• 95 welshgeordie9 // Jul 5, 2016 at 9:49 PM

No doubt we be linked with someone else tomorrow, oh what joy.

• 96 cyprus // Jul 5, 2016 at 10:05 PM

Thanks Colo. A classy defender, an international, who had to baby sit too many players. In a better team, he would’ve shone.

Much like our best player by a country mile in the last few years, the only true entertainer, much maligned with the help of AP. HBA.

• 97 SPRINGY // Jul 5, 2016 at 10:41 PM

quite happy if SDJ has said that he wants to stay,if sissoko goes and gini departs we may get to see him play….or even if they stay tbh….a fit SDJ would good to see for a run of games.

• 98 welshgeordie9 // Jul 5, 2016 at 10:48 PM

According to the Telegraph

Newcastle United boss Rafa Benitez on collision course with Moussa Sissoko and Georginio Wijnaldum

• 99 welshgeordie9 // Jul 5, 2016 at 10:51 PM

This is the start of the story

Newcastle United have terminated the contract of captain Fabricio Coloccini to allow him to return to Argentina, but Rafa Benitez has warned Moussa Sissoko and Georginio Wijnaldum they are not going to be put up for sale.

You tell them Rafa, you kick their arse.

• 100 Yo-yo // Jul 5, 2016 at 10:54 PM

cyprus

In a better team Colo would probably have been on the bench – but he did have some real good runs of form as well as the shockers.

• 101 Graeme // Jul 5, 2016 at 10:55 PM

Welshie – if that’s true, there’s only going to be one winner!!!!

• 102 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 5, 2016 at 10:56 PM

Rafa knows he wont be able to keep Wijnaldum and Sissoko in the championship hes just trying to get the right price for each of them so he can get quality replacements

It might end up going to the end of the window for this one and we may see one of them playing against Fulham or Huddersfield

If we could get 40 million for both we could potentially transform the squad with 4 or 5 players for that amount

Cathcart from Watford has been linked he looked pretty comfortable in the top flight good defender and still only 26/27

Get him and Hanley in and that would be centre backs sorted for years !

• 103 jimmysmith // Jul 5, 2016 at 10:57 PM

I think that once Sissoko and Widjnaldum accept they’ll only be going if an offer meets our valuation, they’ll enjoy this season for as long as they are with us. The atmosphere both home and away will be electric, and we’ll be winning. Hang tuff Rafa. Ride it out.

previous post: Newcastle Announce Friendlies To Simulate Championship