The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Photos From Yesterday’s Highly Successful Tournament

9:52 am, Tuesday, July 5th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 41 Comments

Newcastle held the inaugural Newcastle United Foundation 1892 Cup yesterday at the Youth Academy and it featured 128 youngsters from eight local schools each with a boys’ and a girls’ team.

They all wore the new Newcastle home strip, which will not be on general sale until Friday – that’s how special the children are!

It was a real success and it was so funny when Rafa was walking over to the Academy and he was mobbed by the youngsters and you could here “it’s Rafa” many times in that Geordie dialect.

He was like the Pied Piper of Hamelin.

🙂

rafa-benitez-and-kids-987-225x300

Rafa Benitez on his way to the tournament.
He was mobbed by the schoolchildren

rafa benitez and kids

Rafa was on hand to watch some of the games and along with Newcastle stars Paul Dummett, Jamaal Lascelles, Vurnon Anita and Aleksandar Mitrovic, handed out the awards to the winners.

rafa benitez signing autographs

Rafa signs some autographs

with the kids

And then it’s some high fives

rafa and joe hoyce at toiurenament

Watching from the sidelines – he just missed a goal

rafa benitez signs 9

A small boy gets a tap on the head – has Rafa recognized a future star?

rafa benitez tournament

Walking over to the Youth Academy – it’s drizzling

choolchildren

The girls and boys grouped together yesterday

rockley primary schook

This is Throckley Primary School – what a team!

Here’s what Rafa has also said to the local press after the very successful tournament:

“We thought it would be a good idea to put football and the foundation together and bring the kids and the families here.”

“Everything has been really good.” “Also, we strengthened the link between the club and the city and the fans.”

“It was very positive for everyone.”

Here’s Rafa’s full interview with nufcTV but you need to have a subscription to watch it.

These are some terrific images from yesterday’s  event – and a great idea to bring the club and the community much closer together.

Tags: Newcastle News · Newcastle United Foundation · Newcastle United Foundation 1892 Cup · Other News · School children

41 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jib // Jul 5, 2016 at 9:57 AM

The squad flies to Ireland Friday teatime (I think) so I suggest anyone who has SSN monitors it closely from now on.
    Rafa will want players in asap and seems to favour Sky to break transfer news.

• 2 Spoof // Jul 5, 2016 at 9:59 AM

WWS

Did you see the Swansea away match last season ?

That never happens to Dummett and before you say it no, it wasn’t just one poor game, he is regularly made to look a complete joke, perhaps not to the Swansea level but it does happen regularly, he may offer something going forward but he is a defender first and defending should be his first priority, sadly it isn’t.

• 3 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 5, 2016 at 10:05 AM

How tall do you reckon Lascelles is? I thought he was 6’2″ but he seems to be more than that in recent photos. He’s clearly taller than Mitrovic. (sorry but I don’t have any interest in the subject of this post with the bairns and all)

• 4 WWSBRD // Jul 5, 2016 at 10:07 AM

Spoof
    I think u see a fullbacks job completely differently from me mate, I expect far more than just the ability to stand in our 3rd and tackle, I also expect a team to be able to cover each other

I did see the Swans match and he got ripped apart but no it doesnt happen regularly imo, our right side wasnt our problem it was over run most games because nothing came down our left, Dummett is a good CB (or he could be atleast) but a terrbile LB

Good lord Janmatt was player of the season and captain in waiting 2 minutes ago ‘best RB we’ve had in years’ now hes worst than Paul Dummett?

• 5 WWSBRD // Jul 5, 2016 at 10:09 AM

Dummett is another one who cant stay fit as well

• 6 Rotonda heights // Jul 5, 2016 at 10:13 AM

left a real lump in the throat seeing rafa set this up for the kids and how much everyone loves the guy. could you imagine any of our previous lot, sbr and kk apart, engendering so much goodwill
    and for a manager to show so much initiative and interact with the public in this way.

• 7 jimmysmith // Jul 5, 2016 at 10:13 AM

Tremendous. Good fun!

• 8 SPRINGY // Jul 5, 2016 at 10:14 AM

morning all
    with talk of cb’s yesterday and full backs today,it maybe the case that dummett is going to be moved into cb…bring in another cb so that would fill the cb void and a quality lb with haidara as back and dummett as cover for both…so at right back there would be at
    right back…janmaat,mbabu,sterry and if needed mbemba
    left back…new signing,haidara,dummett….colback at a push
    cb’s,lascelles,mbemba,dummett,new signing

• 9 Spoof // Jul 5, 2016 at 10:17 AM

WWS

Player of the season means nothing, after all Pardew whilst with us was manager of the year and Colo was in the team of the year, and who was this years player of the year, Rob Elliott and Rafa’s first transfer deal was to replace him, that speaks volumes for these meaningless awards.

• 10 SPRINGY // Jul 5, 2016 at 10:17 AM

made a bollick of that last comment but think you get what im saying!lol

• 11 WWSBRD // Jul 5, 2016 at 10:21 AM

Spoof
    Well it does mate, all awards mentioned there were won on merit. Heck even this season Janmatt was our best outlet in the first part of the season…in fact he was often our only outlet

• 12 Spoof // Jul 5, 2016 at 10:22 AM

WWS

In fairness to Dummett he’s had one knee injury and apart from that it’s been a hamstring problem which has been a regular injury within our club, get the training facilities and the medical team sorted and I would expect a far better injury record with the entire squad, I don’t think its fair to blame the players as for me it appears to be a club problem.

• 13 Spoof // Jul 5, 2016 at 10:24 AM

WWS

Personally I think that Janmaat flaters to decieve but I think we will have to agree to disagree !

• 14 WWSBRD // Jul 5, 2016 at 10:36 AM

Spoof
    Regardless he doesn’t stay fit, was also a add on point rather than the bulk of my argument on how poor he is

Atleast Janmatt has the ability to flatter then Dummett is always a anchor dragging the squad down

• 15 jimmysmith // Jul 5, 2016 at 10:42 AM

Nufc83 really wasn’t that harsh on Dummett. He’s nowhere near good enough to be first choice left back. I’ll be astonished if he’s remotely near the first 11 in that position. He’s a back up CB, and possibly a good one.

• 16 Novocastrian66 // Jul 5, 2016 at 10:44 AM

Apologies for butting in however in my opinion Janmatt is miles ahead of Dummett in every department with one exception. Heart.

• 17 expatmag // Jul 5, 2016 at 10:49 AM

Sell Janmaat. Buy Trippier from Spurs
    Sell De Jong, Buy Dunk from Brighton
    Sell Coloccini
    Sell De Jong
    Buy Hanley from Blackburn
    Get the Arbrelola on a free

Trippier Mbau Sterry Mbemba Lascelles Dunk Hanley Haidara Dummett Arbrelola

Defence sorted

• 18 expatmag // Jul 5, 2016 at 10:50 AM

Sec ond De Jong sale should have read 12 month Wijnaldum loan

• 19 martoon // Jul 5, 2016 at 10:54 AM

Dummett is a good defender but not good going forward. One standout game was when we beat Liverpool the season before last – Stirling was at his peak but he hardly got a kick against Dummett.

• 20 Average_Contents // Jul 5, 2016 at 10:57 AM

Quick question.

Why on earth is shite defects logo bigger than the actual competition one.

The man has no morals. It’s a kids foundation ffs.

“Look everyone, my company isn’t as bad as they all say” “We sponsor worthwhile causes” whilst probably not paying fcukall in sponsorship.

Horrible cretin.

• 21 Shadow_Shearer // Jul 5, 2016 at 10:57 AM

On this Janmaat debate. I reckon rafa has plans for young sterry. He would possibly be Janmaat understudy.

Also if we shift dummet central, we have more than we think. Mbemba, lascelle, kevin mbabu.
    Shift dummet & bring in a new left back please!! & 1 more central!!

• 22 Average_Contents // Jul 5, 2016 at 11:00 AM

Should of said – to be associated with a kids foundation will show them in a good light.

• 23 Mister Tuff // Jul 5, 2016 at 11:07 AM

One thing about Benitez is that he is not hanging about in getting things done.
    Looks like all this buying for future profit is out the window and that getting the right players for “weak positions” is the order of the day.
    So far so good.

• 24 SPRINGY // Jul 5, 2016 at 11:07 AM

dummett dropping down to champ could do him good if he is to retain the left back spot,it did for enrique,playing lower level opposition and a good run with confidence and rafa and his coaches tweaking his game he may improve…i cant knock the lad to much my sell,theres better players out there….but there is worse.

• 25 Spoof // Jul 5, 2016 at 11:15 AM

Tuff

It doesn’t seem real somehow, I’m so used to seeing a player come in with me thinking will he make Mikey a profit or not that, now we are getting players in for purpose I’m at a loose end and trying to gage whether the new player is the correct one for the job we need done, that thought seems a bit alien to me, hopefully I will get used to it !

• 26 Mister Tuff // Jul 5, 2016 at 11:29 AM

Spoof – once all the round holes are filled with round pegs it should allow the players in the team to play their natural game – certainly should end playing of people in alien positions.
    I think this should lead to a much improved team and will not provide excuses for players who are not up to the job – their deficiencies will be exposed.
    Good to see no fannying around/last day of window panicking/no Charnley decisions about footballing assessments.

• 27 welshgeordie9 // Jul 5, 2016 at 11:30 AM

There’s no way 3 defenders be coming in by the weekend if we have got to sell first, what happens to the ones supposed to be waiting to come in, they not going to wait for ever.

• 28 welshgeordie9 // Jul 5, 2016 at 11:32 AM

Also if we have got to wait for players to leave and nothing happens from now to the end of the window, then what happens to our defence because no one would have left.

• 29 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 5, 2016 at 11:34 AM

Funnily enough we went on a 6 game unbeaten run when Anita and Dummett played at full back …….

• 30 WWSBRD // Jul 5, 2016 at 11:45 AM

LCBP
    Come now that was because Rafa had time to implement his system, had he come in before that warm weather training we’d of stayed up

• 31 Spoof // Jul 5, 2016 at 11:49 AM

Tuff

Totally agree, it will be interesting to see what he does with the centre of midfield, both attacking and defensive, under Rafa we were best with Tiote in there, will he stay and if not will he be replaced or will Rafa feel that with Colback, Shelvey and Anita he has enough, for me for Shelvey to thrive he needs a Tiote alongside him to allow Jonjo to push on a bit, would Anita or Colback be strong enough to support Shelvey ?, and attack wise Sissoko, Gini and De Jong, I just cannot see the point of having all three, at least one to go possibly two seeing as Shelvey could also play further up the pitch so that would give us scope for strengthening our wingers as we only have Aarons and Ritchie who are natural.

What I have just said there in the past would be a major worry due to our make Mikey a quick profit policy, but I have to say that I am not overly concerned about it as I am confident that Rafa will get it sorted and we will have a balanced squad for next season, having a summer transfer window which I am relaxed about due to trust is a very refreshing change.

• 32 Spoof // Jul 5, 2016 at 11:52 AM

WWS

and obviously his system worked without the defensive uncertainty that Janmaat brings !

• 33 Mister Tuff // Jul 5, 2016 at 11:55 AM

Spoof – big disappointment for me was Shelvey – good debut but petered out after that.
    Might be different if he has willing runners now to pick out a Hollywood pass.
    So I would be surprised if their are any “midfield maestro” additions.

• 34 WWSBRD // Jul 5, 2016 at 11:59 AM

Spoof
    And despite having a awful LB

• 35 Spoof // Jul 5, 2016 at 12:03 PM

Tuff

He was disappointing but with a full summer and with Rafa implementing his systems and methods we may see the best of him, then again he may simply be just not good enough but to my knowledge I haven’t seen any reports suggesting that Rafa wants rid of him so he may have a future with us.

• 36 geordie157 // Jul 5, 2016 at 12:13 PM

I still think janmaat will go, I was a fan but the way he gets sent off when a winger is making a fool of him is not the type of player we need, he’s not actually that good a defender and mbemba had to bail him out on numerous occasions which left gaps at the back.

We’ve got Sterry and Mbabu who can play the plus Anita if needed. I’d like to see Trippier/Arbeloa brought in or possibly the Wolves youngster Ifora (something like that)

• 37 Spoof // Jul 5, 2016 at 12:13 PM

WWS

Its all about opinion, am I right, perhaps, am I wrong, perhaps, but what I think you will find is that Rafa will have a tendency to go for the more conservative full back, we all know that he likes to keep it tight and have two defensive mids with a back four and then say to the remaining four players that those behind them will keep it tight and compact and that they will keep us in the game and it is there job to go out and win the game for us, that is how Rafa tends to set his teams up so bearing that in mind I expect his full backs to be more concerned with keeping a solid back line rather than looking at opportunities to bomb forward and due to that I expect Dummett to be a regular at left back and I expect Janmaat to be replaced with a more defensive minded right back, I could be wrong but I’m sure you can see where I’m coming from.

• 38 Novocastrian66 // Jul 5, 2016 at 12:16 PM

Welsh; no-one has to leave however if players leave, replacements are lined up. The new players may come in regardless whether someone leaves or not. We do not have to sell anyone. When Carroll left nobody had a plan. When Ba left nobody had a plan. When Cabaye left nobody had a plan.
    Rafa has a plan. That is the key difference.

• 39 Jail for Ashley // Jul 5, 2016 at 12:24 PM

It actually makes me laugh to see the people who called me a whinger while Ashley dragged this club through the mud whinging now we finally look like a club. All I ever wanted was for a team that tried to compete yet was accused of being anti NUFC by the same people whinging now.

• 40 WWSBRD // Jul 5, 2016 at 12:26 PM

Spoof
    So u expect Rafa to buy a CB to play at RB? I only assume so because ur expecting him to continue to play a CB at LB

U might be right but Id bet its easier to coach Janmatt to stay back more often than it is to coach Dummett to be able to use a football

• 41 Spoof // Jul 5, 2016 at 12:31 PM

Jail

Stop whinging lol

WWS

Sorry you’ve lost me, why do you think I would expect someone to play out of position when all I’ve said is that I would expect Janmaat to be replaced with a more defensive right back ?

previous post: Benitez Puts The Record Straight About His Time At Real Madrid