The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Fourth Newcastle Summer Signing Is Imminent

12:29 pm, Wednesday, July 6th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 61 Comments

The Chronicle is reporting that Newcastle’s fourth signing of the season will be 31 year-old Jesus Gamez and we had a piece out this morning commenting on the Spanish report on Jesus potentially joining Benitez on Tyneside.

The deal is almost complete according to local reports and the 31 year-old Atletico Madrid full-back will be coming into the club imminently. with the next step being he will travel to Newcastle to have his medical and agree personal terms before signing on.

The club is hoping that will be within the nezt 24 hours.

Gamez in action last year against Ronaldo in a Madrid derby

Gamez is versatile and can play in either full-back position, and that’s exactly the type of player we need.

We think Gamez is being signed to strengthen the squad and increase competition and not simply as a replacement for Daryl Janmaat .

We hope Rafa Benitez will still keep the Dutch International right back on Tyneside.

Gamez joined Atletico Madrid only a couple of years ago from Malaga for £4M and he has played only 37 times for the Madrid team in that time period.

His contract runs out next summer, so it’s probably a good time to move on.

The other factor forcing the 31 year-old to move, as we reported this morning, is that Atletico have just signed 24 year-old Croatian International right-bank Sime Vrsaljko from Sassuolo and playing time will now be limited for the Spanish full-back.

Jesus was previously at Malaga from 2000 and in his time there the 6ft tall defender played 256 games for them with 21 assists.

The full-back has recently been interesting both Everton and West Ham United, but it appears that Benitez’s many Spanish connections mean Newcastle will land the Spanish U23 International.

The Chronicle is reporting Jesus will be traveling to Tyneside to undergo a medical and finalize the deal.

Sounds good to us – a classy fullback coming into Newcastle.

61 responses so far ↓

• 1 Mister Tuff // Jul 6, 2016 at 12:38 PM

Oldgit – while it’s certainly your personal preference to like/dislike posts from whoever you want. The converse to other people also applies.
    You may dislike my micky taking of fools and knobbers but where were you when certain parties are doling out filthy abuse from the gutter, homophobia, xenophobia.
    Another one who was looking the other way -conveniently.

• 2 SuperShearer // Jul 6, 2016 at 12:50 PM

Other clubs will be watching how Rafa handles the Wini and Sissoko situation with interest. not because they want to buy them, although some will, but because it could well put to rest the amount of power players have in the modern game. At the end of it Rafa is saying to these two players “You’ve got a contract here, unless good money is offered you’ll be staying here. There will be no striking to leverage a move, you didn’t perform to the level you were being paid last season so it’s time to put up or shut up.” – Go Rafa I say.

• 3 Tsunki // Jul 6, 2016 at 12:52 PM

I see Lionel and his pop getting 21 months of probation for shoving millions of euros out of Spain to tax havens – footballers are rarely as morally sound as they are talented, but it’s strange how greedy some people get isn’t it? One of, if not the, richest sportsmen in the world, still feels the urge to claw even more lovely lolly away for that incredibly rainy day. Have they ever heard of charity? Contribute to a hospital or maybe a sporting academy, greedy gets.

• 4 JP...from The Rock // Jul 6, 2016 at 12:53 PM

Seems to be a good move for all parties. More strength in depth for us which is always welcome. He usually plays as a RB so I hope it’s to give competition to the likes of Janmaat and Anita and not replace them. Once this guy signs I want us to go for a tall, young, reliable and commanding CB.

• 5 JamesToon // Jul 6, 2016 at 12:54 PM

I agree, if Rafa forces both Gini and Moussa to stay then i’ll back his decision, feel like there are pros and cons to this though
    + Players have to take responsibility for relegation and might toughen them up a bit
    – Will they play as well if their heart isn’t in it?

• 6 martoon // Jul 6, 2016 at 12:54 PM

SuperShearer – The trouble is what can you do with a player who doesn’t want to be here and gives half-arsed performances? You can’t dock their pay because they have water-tight contracts so in the end you have to sell them or else you end up with a player on a massive salary sitting on the bench!

• 7 JamesToon // Jul 6, 2016 at 12:56 PM

Chronicle saying we’re willing to sell janmaat, which ill be happy with as hes only interested in going forward and think he lost interest in us towards the end of the season. Would rather see Gamez/ or the likes of Sterry and Mbabu given a chance.

Caulker hopefully will come in for CB, as he ticks everything rafa wants in a CB, tall, reasonably fast for his height, and i think rafa will improve him. Then we need a left back, either that Jonny Castro or Charlie Taylor. Don’t really want to see both Arbeloa and Gamez brought in as theyre both right footed, so it will force most of our play down the right again like last season

• 8 SuperShearer // Jul 6, 2016 at 12:56 PM

@JT – totally agree mate. But if they don’t play as well Rafa is the kind of manager to drop them. Then theirj stock drops and the next thing you know those illustrious Champ League teams Moussa likes to bang on about so much are not coming in for him.

@JP not sure a young CB is on Rafa’s agenda. In Lacelles and Mbemba he has two very young CBs with huge potential. Think he’ll want someone older who can guide them both and teach them to read the game and organise the defence.

• 9 JamesToon // Jul 6, 2016 at 12:56 PM

i agree, but the more strength in depth/quality the better maybe?

• 10 JP...from The Rock // Jul 6, 2016 at 12:57 PM

Tbh i don’t really care if Sissoko leaves, it’s Wijnaldum that I want us to keep. He is the better footballer of the two and scored a bucket load of goals for us from midfield in his first season in the EPL. Sissoko is extremely inconsistent and we can do with the money he’ll generate. Much easier to replace him than Gini.

• 11 JamesToon // Jul 6, 2016 at 12:58 PM

Rafa will want at least 3 decent CB’s and theres a lot of games to play so we cant rely on Mbemba and Lascelles being fit every game, dummett is our only other player who can be converted to CB as i think sterry and mbabu will be kept as right backs.

• 12 expatmag // Jul 6, 2016 at 1:02 PM

Simple…if they are not professional and committed, sell them both and buy players who are committed and professional.

There are plenty out there just waiting for a chance

• 13 bettyswallocks // Jul 6, 2016 at 1:08 PM

As I’ve stated before I don’t think Janmaat will be a huge loss , he’s only ok going forward and gets caught out of position too often when defending. He cost us quite a few goals last term.
    It does look like Rafa will let him go with an experienced right back coming in with Sterry as understudy.

• 14 Bobbybee // Jul 6, 2016 at 1:09 PM

Fools and knobbers? You really are unbelievable. Virtually every first post you put up is to have a dig at someone for some peurile reason. Your obsession with spanking people and posting pictures of teachers caning boys is, frankly, downright creepy. What you find funny might appeal to five year olds, but the majority on here
    are grown up. Clearly you’re about my age – 58 -which makes your posts unfathomable. Grown ups don’t post shyte like ‘Bobby blobby, mr blobby’ or anything even remotely along those lines. Frankly, as oldgit1 said, you spoil the blog. About time it was said. If you can’t attack people you’re generally stuck for anything to say. Just give it up. Nobody gives a tuppeny tinkers toss about multiples, but you go on and on about it as if it was crucial to life. If people need to post as somebody else, because of the way you attack them, who cares, as long as they talk football? Don’t bother replying, I’ll be gone and you’ll be talking to yourself – yet another sign of madness. Please, Tuff, ffs, just join in the football banter and leave the crap behind. You might even enjoy it.

• 15 The one and Ayoze 17 // Jul 6, 2016 at 1:11 PM

He seems goods, so happy enough if he’s janmaats replacement, but I really want to see another CB brought in quickly as we have no depth there at all.

• 16 The one and Ayoze 17 // Jul 6, 2016 at 1:13 PM

Does anyone reckon Mbabu will be pushed to CB cover with only one coming in? I can’t see us buying 2 CBs

• 17 bettyswallocks // Jul 6, 2016 at 1:14 PM

Expat………. I wish I had the chance to live in such a wonderful country as Australia instead of having to slum it here with this shower of shite as you put it.

• 18 martoon // Jul 6, 2016 at 1:17 PM

JP…from The Rock @10 – I’d agree with that – Gini is one of those midfielders with a knack or running into the box just at the right time to score goals like Robert Lee – you can’t coach that it’s just natural ability. However whether he want to stay or not is another matter?

• 19 JamesToon // Jul 6, 2016 at 1:25 PM

No I think Mbabu will be kept at full back, Dummett however may be pushed to CB. As coloccini has gone I defo think there’s a CB who’s very close to signing

• 20 JamesToon // Jul 6, 2016 at 1:25 PM

Mbabu too small for CB

• 21 Jib // Jul 6, 2016 at 1:28 PM

The preseason games are going to be a lot more interesting than the usual Summertime pap.

Each game should be giving us pointers on Rafa’s thinking on formations and where on the pitch he sees players being used.

• 22 John Tudor // Jul 6, 2016 at 1:35 PM

im back

• 23 Jail for Ashley // Jul 6, 2016 at 1:36 PM

I’ll miss the first two home games but will just make the Brighton game!

• 24 Rotonda heights // Jul 6, 2016 at 1:37 PM

very amusing

• 25 expatmag // Jul 6, 2016 at 1:37 PM

Thank JIB for his hostility against us Australians. His comment was unnecessary and inaccurate.

Maybe you should come over here and sample the lucky country for real.

• 26 The one and Ayoze 17 // Jul 6, 2016 at 1:39 PM

Jamestoon I agree he’s a little small, although I though CB was his natural position and we seem to have a lot of RBs or players who can cover there but not so much on the left, and even less if Dummet moves across, I would have though a CB and LB were more of a priority than another RB unless Janmaats off.

• 27 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jul 6, 2016 at 1:40 PM

Rafa and Sissoko
    I wonder if Rafa is wanting or said to Sissoko you stay and become i’ll make you captain

• 28 Jail for Ashley // Jul 6, 2016 at 1:41 PM

I lived there for five years, pretty accurate map 😀

• 29 bettyswallocks // Jul 6, 2016 at 1:42 PM

Expat…….. No thanks. I love my country.

• 30 Jail for Ashley // Jul 6, 2016 at 1:43 PM

I would have thought so, if not him I’d have Tiote. Did you chip in for the flag campaign.

• 31 expatmag // Jul 6, 2016 at 1:43 PM

I was just thinking when the chinese are going to come back with over the top offers for the likes of Tiote and Cisse again or maybe the qataris etc.

• 32 expatmag // Jul 6, 2016 at 1:44 PM

Good stuff. I do too in many ways but I cant help feeling you are in so much disarray at present, it could be years to get back on your feet.

• 33 martoon // Jul 6, 2016 at 1:45 PM

Hi JT – where have you been?
    Jail it’s a terrible thing when work gets in the way of a man and his football!

• 34 expatmag // Jul 6, 2016 at 1:46 PM

At least we know what to do with our illegal immigrants mate…..we stick them on an usland in the middle of the Indian ocean

• 35 John Tudor // Jul 6, 2016 at 1:46 PM

in hospital died 6 times on the slab lol

• 36 bettyswallocks // Jul 6, 2016 at 1:47 PM

Jail……..Good eye might. I forgot how to throw a boomerang and then it came back to me.

• 37 bettyswallocks // Jul 6, 2016 at 1:52 PM

Expat……. That’s a comforting thought.However I think I’ll tough it out here for a while in the hope we get back on our feet sooner than later.

• 38 expatmag // Jul 6, 2016 at 2:01 PM

Bettyyeah…I saw the map the first time mate……you missed out the Opera house……lol

• 39 Nufc-83 // Jul 6, 2016 at 2:02 PM

The problem with Moussa is he doesnt even have a natural psoition. Play him on teh wing yes he can run but his vision, tehnique and delivery is terrible so whats the point? Play him through the centre in an attacking role and again he has no vision, creativity technique or shooting ability. Play him as a cm sitting abck he doesnt like to tackle and gets caught in possession in dangerous areas. If anything he is a box to box midfieler but that very rarely works unless you are top class in some attributes which he is not.

Gini is similar again but does have the added bonus of being a good finisher and ghosting inside the box into good positions.

I think these type of players totally unbalance the side. If we need a winger go get a pacy direct winger who can go past his man and deliver quality into the box. If we need a cdm then get someone who is tough in the tackle, hardworking and physicall. If we need a cam go get someone who is good on the ball, has great technique, giood vission and can shoot from inside or outside of the box. Its easy really 🙂

• 40 Mister Tuff // Jul 6, 2016 at 2:02 PM

Hahaha – Bobbybee I recall you were posting about how you were getting more childish as the years went by in respect of your humour tastes. If you don’t mind me saying -you state things that are not pleasurable to yourself but then go on and say/do the things you object to. Double standards mate.
    My fools and knobberrs may not be your fools and knobbers – again your likes and my likes -all about opinion -which you also trumpet yet deny others.
    You also scold people for jumping in on others posts but you do it yourself. A law for you which you do not extend to others.

• 41 Jail for Ashley // Jul 6, 2016 at 2:02 PM

And provide them with petrol, needles and thread so they can sew their lips up and set them selves on fire.

• 42 Nufc-83 // Jul 6, 2016 at 2:05 PM

Ancient i dont care what that web site says regarding Townsend’s value. He was outstanding for QPR and England then went back to spurs but never really got a good run of games. He also had off field issues which held him back so for me 12m was good value.

I think he will do very well for Palace but lets see what happens.

• 43 Jail for Ashley // Jul 6, 2016 at 2:08 PM

It is a crying shame, I was going to make a weekend of it and take the family down to London for the weekend, meet some mates and get the Fulham game but I got asked to go away on the fifth instead 🙁

• 44 Jail for Ashley // Jul 6, 2016 at 2:10 PM

Did you get a chance to meet Rafa while you were up there.

• 45 Mister Tuff // Jul 6, 2016 at 2:11 PM

Bobbybee – nice re-invention of history -people becoming multiples because I attack them. What a load of garbage.
    I might “attack”/rebuke/take the micky out of folk at least I do not brag about physically beating people up as if it was some sort of glory badge for being a Toon supporter..
    A few lads I know do not come on here when you are ranting and raving and erupting like a volcano – you need to look in the mirror.

Do not bother replying. I’ve got better things to do.

• 46 expatmag // Jul 6, 2016 at 2:12 PM

That there options. Nobody asked them to try and enter Australia illegally. Personally, I would just send them straight back to where they came from.

• 47 lesh // Jul 6, 2016 at 2:12 PM

Lindisfarne – From previous thread.

You suggested £30m for Gini AND Sissoko? Never!

If Sissoko’s of the opinion that he’s Champions League material, then Rafa should demand a transfer fee which reflects that. £20 – £25m should go it and Sissoko can’t argue that’s too much can he?

Likewise, Gini is a top player and a similar if not higher price should be demanded for his services.

They both never performed to their full potential and really ought to be told they’re going nowhere – unless those fees are offered. If not, they should be selected for games only on the basis of their commitments to give 110% and showing it. If not, it could be the bench at best if they don’t commit.

• 48 Jail for Ashley // Jul 6, 2016 at 2:13 PM

Did they not say that Collo would not be allowed to leave before we had a replacement, something must be very close.

• 49 Jail for Ashley // Jul 6, 2016 at 2:15 PM

Controversial stuff. Let’s stick to slating Ashley and lauding saint Rafa.

• 50 Jail for Ashley // Jul 6, 2016 at 2:18 PM

From NUFC.come
    Defenders due

Having bolstered his goalkeeping, midfield and attacking options, Newcastle boss Rafa Benitez has turned his attentions to the defence and two new acquisitions are anticipated in the coming days.

The identity of a central defender that has been targeted remains unknown, but a deal for Atletico Madrid’s right back Jesús Gámez is reportedly on.

31 year-old Gámez is expected on Tyneside in the near future and rated at around £3m. Formerly at Malaga, he played against United in a pre-season fixture at the 2014 Schalke Tournament.

• 51 lesh // Jul 6, 2016 at 2:19 PM

Listening to Blair’s [Chilcot response] statement, he’s clearly hurt at the outcome. Tell it to the lads and their families – face-to-face!

• 52 bettyswallocks // Jul 6, 2016 at 2:23 PM

Expat……… Best not get too political . It’s awnly bainta might.

Opera house is on here might. ( last one I promise). For today anyway.

• 53 bettyswallocks // Jul 6, 2016 at 2:25 PM

It’s stopped me hot linking. Ah well that’s my fun over for the day.

There’s always my old Welsh friend later on.

• 54 Ron Knee // Jul 6, 2016 at 2:28 PM

• 55 bettyswallocks // Jul 6, 2016 at 2:30 PM

Expat……. Just found this

• 56 bettyswallocks // Jul 6, 2016 at 2:34 PM

Welshie…….. In all sincerity I hope you lads do the business tonight.

To see Ronaldo’s reaction if you beat them will be priceless.

• 57 expatmag // Jul 6, 2016 at 2:37 PM

• 58 bettyswallocks // Jul 6, 2016 at 2:46 PM

Expat…….. I’ll try again but it won’t let me download. It was quite amusing.

• 59 bettyswallocks // Jul 6, 2016 at 2:53 PM

• 60 Shadow_Shearer // Jul 6, 2016 at 3:16 PM

If rafa is buying this 31 year old full back from athletico, then Janmaat could be away either that or he will be playing left back with dummet shifted to central. Which I would prefer.

• 61 Very Terry // Jul 6, 2016 at 4:15 PM

If you put you finger over the ball in that picture and half close your eyes they look like they’re dancing.

previous post: Newcastle Manager – I Am In Contact With Moussa Sissoko