Benitez – I’m Not Stupid – We Have To Keep Doing This

The swell of optimism surrounding Newcastle United since Rafa came into the club has been all too obvious and since he agreed to stay on after we were relegated, the positivity has even reached new heights.

On Monday, one of Rafa’s great new ideas to raise spirits and to get the club and the community working more closely together was a huge success.

rafa benitez and joe joyce

Rafa Benitez and Joe Joyce enjoying the tournament last Monday

It was the Newcastle United Foundation 1892 Cup where eight schools and 128 boys and girls took part in the inaugural event last Monday afternoon.

The five-a-side games with teams wearing the new Newcastle home strips took place at the Youth Academy with Academy manager Joe Joyce and manager Rafa Benitez in attendance, along with a number of our senior players.

Rafa is very popular on Tyneside is a huge understatement, but the Newcastle manager is also widely experienced and sage.

He knows that results – make that wins – are what will continue to drive the enthusiasm on Tyneside.

paul dummett and rafa benitez with young star

Paul Dummett and Rafa Benitez with one of  the young stars of the tournament

Here’s what Rafa has said in the Chronicle after the successful event on Monday:

“I want to think about the future. What I have seen since I’ve been here is the fans behind the team, supporting the team.”

“I would like to keep the relationship like this and the only way to do this is to do the right things. I’m not stupid, I know we have to win! We can do all the right things but we have to win.”

Rafa is busy strengthening the squad in preseason and three good players have already been brought in with the expectation that 31 year-old Atletico Madrid full-back Jesus Gamez will sign within the next 24 hours.

Gamez is very experienced and will be  a great addition to the Newcastle squad; if we get him it’s another surprise because some Premier League clubs – including Everton and West Ham – have been after him over the last week.

Comments welcome, but please keep the comments to football and refrain from attacking other readers who may different views to your own.

• Bambams

Jul 6, 2016 at 3:13 PM

Well said Ed.

Football blog.

Has anyone seen Gamez play ? I must admit I don’t follow Spanish football so know nothing about him

• Mister Tuff

Jul 6, 2016 at 3:18 PM

Indeed well said Ed – I expect those who like to portray themselves as victims will not heed your advice.

• Spoof

Jul 6, 2016 at 3:36 PM

I expect that with the Gamez signing that would mean the end of the road for Janmaat, personally I feel we would need two right backs with one for cover but I can’t see the new lad nor Janmaat being happy as cover, Gamez with his back ground and with both West Ham and Everton wanting him is hardly going to come to us as cover for Janmaat, Gamez has came to be our first choice and likewise Janmaat will not accept being cover so I expect him to be sold, in all honesty I am delighted with this as I have never rated Janmaat as for me he cannot defend, this new lad can, he is far better at defending than what he is at going forward which is the way it should be for a full back, our defence will be better if and it’s a big if, if he can settle into the English style of play.

• Mister Tuff

Jul 6, 2016 at 3:42 PM

Looks like the speculation about Jesus Gamez is hotting up with him expected at Newcastle within the next 48 hours.

some folk say he is a decent player with his pace being the only thing in question is his pace.

latest and video of him “stopping Neymar.

• firebug666

Jul 6, 2016 at 3:52 PM

I am not too concerned about other player coming in and adding depth to the club. Rafa likes to rotate his squads, so having to players for one position does not mean that a player needs to leave. In fact the opposite would be true if we want depth in the squad.

It’s up to Rafa and his staff to keep the players happy whilst getting the best out of them.

• Jib

Jul 6, 2016 at 3:53 PM

Fergy is backing Allardyce to be next England manager !!!

• Very Terry

Jul 6, 2016 at 4:00 PM

Rafa in.
    New defender in.
    Janmaat still in.
    No problem.

• Shadow_Shearer

Jul 6, 2016 at 4:02 PM

If rafa is buying this 31 year old full back from athletico, then Janmaat could be away either that or he will be playing left back with dummet shifted to central. Which I would prefer. Dummet already knows his way around the team & stadium.

• Very Terry

Jul 6, 2016 at 4:03 PM

Jib
    Sir Fergy backed Moyes for Man U, not to mention taught Steve Mac Hair Island everything he knows so of course his choice for the next England manager must not go unheeded.
    Oh, wait…

• Jib

Jul 6, 2016 at 4:09 PM

Very Terry
    Fair points – well made

• Very Terry

Jul 6, 2016 at 4:11 PM

I can’t WAIT to see the True Geordie if Alardyce gets the England job

• giimps

Jul 6, 2016 at 4:15 PM

Fergie is a jock too, no wonder he wants hippo heed as England manager

• Nufc-83

Jul 6, 2016 at 4:15 PM

Spoof who do you regard as the best full backs in world football becuase it certainly wont be the likes of Marcelo and Alves. Are you a danny simpson fan by any chance?

• Mister Tuff

Jul 6, 2016 at 4:15 PM

Gamez is mainly a right back- he is 5’11 tall. Lascelles is 6’2″. I would think Lascelles has probably done enough to retain the “centre half” position.
    Leaves me to conclude this opens the door for Janmat to leave.

• jib follower

Jul 6, 2016 at 4:17 PM

Most excellently put ex

• Nufc-83

Jul 6, 2016 at 4:18 PM

Hopefully Gamez is equally good on both flanks and can take Dummett spot with Janmaat staying. If he does go then that means we pretty much need 2 CB’s and 1 LB still.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 6, 2016 at 4:23 PM

Why do we have to assume that Jaanmat is away, we’ve complained for ages that we don’t have competition for places. I still think we’ll bring in another two defenders. I’d definitely take a top LB on loan from one of the rich clubs as well.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 6, 2016 at 4:33 PM

Wtf is a Jib follower??

• WWSBRD

Jul 6, 2016 at 4:34 PM

JfA
    Competition? Ur a mad man I say!

• swemag

Jul 6, 2016 at 4:36 PM

Sissoko doing good in the Euros? Given our situation and his motivation I think we should be happy and try and get 20 million for him.

Too many average games.

The same would be true for Wini.

Time to say good bye, look to the future and get fresh faces in.

• Jib

Jul 6, 2016 at 4:36 PM

Craig Cathcart from Watford must be true.
    Sky Sports saying we’ve offered £7 million

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 6, 2016 at 4:41 PM

giimps,
    It’s a sorry state of affairs when the two most experienced English PL managers are Pardew and Hippo Heed. The world’s richest FA and most popular football league in the World and we have produced five out of twenty PL managers. Something has to change. The FA maybe have to start funding young coaches to learn in Spain, Italy and Germany and start learning languages and then have them all meet once a month to discuss with each other what they are learning.

• barkel

Jul 6, 2016 at 4:42 PM

I’d definitely be keeping Jaanmat, maybe put him on the RW if he isn’t going to play RB, we’re looking decent on the right if Gamez does come in. LW we’re a bit light, if Aarons can stay fit he could get that role.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 6, 2016 at 4:43 PM

WW…,
    I have a dream!

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 6, 2016 at 4:48 PM

barkel,
    No no no, round pegs square holes are gone. Playing them for the sake of it is gone. We played Mbwia at RB just because we couldn’t bear to see a ‘purple’ on the bench getting paid “purple” wages. Jaanmat will start at RB and if he slacks this guy will take his place and he’ll have to work at getting back in.

• cyprus

Jul 6, 2016 at 4:52 PM

Good point Rafa. Fans can and will turn on anyone, if we start losing. He was a dumb coach but sounness was right he said we are always two losing games away from a crisis.

BTW Carver is a lot in the press. Mentioned Newcastle and 52000 fans to emphasize he doesn’t feel the pressure of his next European game. He already won away, a qualifier.

• JAMSHA

Jul 6, 2016 at 4:53 PM

Dortmund willng to pay €25 mil for sissoko

• Jib

Jul 6, 2016 at 4:57 PM

Jamsha so they should
    We paid €20 million last summer and he has had the benefit of a season in the PL
    I would say €30 million minimum !

• JAMSHA

Jul 6, 2016 at 4:58 PM

Get French
    Football
    @GFFN
    Liverpool have approached Moussa Sissoko’s
    representatives about a transfer. More to

• barkel

Jul 6, 2016 at 5:01 PM

Jail

I wouldn’t rule it out. It doesn’t work for all plays in all positions as we have found out in the Pardew era but it can work out quite well.

A hugely exceptional example would of course be Gareth Bale, he started at LB. I’m not saying that Jaanmat is anywhere near that good but in my opinion he’s probably better as a winger than a fullback

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 6, 2016 at 5:05 PM

I think that’s an excellent idea, every year the FA choose the ten brightest young coaches and find them a top European club to take them on at the FA’s expense, a salary of 20K pa. If they’re any good then the club takes them on or they apply elsewhere having gained a years experience with a top club. 200K a year is nothing to the FA.

• Shadow_Shearer

Jul 6, 2016 at 5:08 PM

This gamez dude, he may play anywhere along the back 4, but I don’t understand why u would play a right footed played in left back. Even Santon I would have played right back, rotated with Janmaat.

• swemag

Jul 6, 2016 at 5:08 PM

@Jib

You’re mixing up Wini and Sissoko.

We paid 2 million for Sissoko a few years back as his contract was running out.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 6, 2016 at 5:08 PM

barkel,
    It has been suggested on here before mind. I’d much rather we concentrated on having specialist players in their correct positions though unless of course like you say it’s an exceptional circumstance like Bale. Shearer was put in goal by Willie Mcfaul 😮

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 6, 2016 at 5:11 PM

swemag,
    Not like Jiberish to make a mistake like that mind, they’re normally much was than that 😀

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 6, 2016 at 5:12 PM

worse

• JAMSHA

Jul 6, 2016 at 5:13 PM

Jib

also liverfool mention so price should go up, an bindipers have always overpaid..so thats good news

• Jib

Jul 6, 2016 at 5:18 PM

Swemag
    Well spotted
    How did I misread Sissoko as Wijnaldum ?

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 6, 2016 at 5:23 PM

Jib,
    Because you forgot to Google it, how many times do I have to tell you not to post your thoughts without using your favourite search engine first. doh!

• Mister Tuff

Jul 6, 2016 at 5:28 PM

I am not going to comment on the post about us buying Sissoko for 20 million last year.
    It is an informative football post – and will delight the authors fan club members and followers.
    A good post.