The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Manager – I Am In Contact With Moussa Sissoko

10:13 am, Wednesday, July 6th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 36 Comments

Rafa Benitez put out a message yesterday saying that he expected his top stars to stay at Newcastle and help us get promoted straight back to the Premier League next season – and that was one of their responsibilities as Newcastle players under contract.

Well said Rafa – and it appears he is confident he can keep both Moussa Sissoko and Gini Wijnaldum on board for next season.

moussa sissoko rafa benitez spurs

Rafa Benitez and Moussa Sissoko last season

Rafa is fresh from hosting the very first Newcastle United Foundation 1892 Cup on Monday afternoon for the boys and girls of Newcastle area schools.

It was a huge success and helped raise the spirits of Geordie folks even higher on Tyneside.

Rafa is trying to build a squad that will hopefully be dominant in the Championship next season and he has talked today about Moussa Sissoko:

“We are bringing new additions and I think that will be good for the team spirit,”

“I am in contact with Moussa – hopefully France will go to the final, he can win the final, come back and win with Newcastle.”

“Andros, because he had the escape clause, he was thinking about that too much. He wanted to play in the Premier League and we knew that.”

“We are trying to do things in a different way that maybe could help to improve things,”

“We know that we have to concentrate on a different competition and different clubs and it will be very tough.”

Newcastle are big favorites to win the Championship next season, currently the odds are 2/1.

But the very last thing Rafa will allow his players – and even the fans to do – is take things for granted and be over-confident.

We know we cannot take anything for granted after the humiliation of last season, but we just have to take that on the chin – it’s happened now – we are moving forward.

Fans will want to help restore the pride, majesty and greatness of Newcastle –  and that’s certainly possible next season with Rafa Benitez as the manager and fully backed by the amazing Toon Army.

Howay The Lads!!

Tags: Contracts · Euro 2016 · Moussa Sissoko · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

36 responses so far ↓

• 1 cyprus // Jul 6, 2016 at 10:15 AM

Seeing Sissoko play in a different team, it is clear that with good players around him he can play at the very top. Instead of being proud to have him we throw stones and think of ‘weaknesses’ to knock him. e.g. he can’t tackle, he’s a terrible goalie, etc. In a way I understand his desire to leave: play in a top league, no love lost.

Conclusion to all that: since he wants out, let out.

Now, Gini: a flawed genius, capable of the amazing, and the indifferent. Much like HBA, at a lower level. I’d really like to see him stay, hopefully Rafa can bring some consistency in our most talented player.

• 2 Jib // Jul 6, 2016 at 10:23 AM

When I saw Sissoko’s subdued reaction at the presser yesterday when asked about his future – I thought at the time – someone has told him to put a sock in it .

• 3 Wayayman // Jul 6, 2016 at 10:24 AM

Not so sure Cyprus. Playing well against Iceland isnt comparable to playing in the PL. Iceland for all their endeavours this Summer are probably more like a Championship team in talent and workrate. Moussa had a great first 15 minutes then did nowt. He’s one of those players who look great when they have the ball at their feet and space in front to explode into but he constantly got in Sagna’s way after that and then in Greizmann’s way when he moved infield.
    His problem is thnat he has zero football intelligence, he passes when he should shoot and shoots when he should pass. His lack of tackling cant be overlooked when he says that he wants to play CM in a 433.

• 4 cyprus // Jul 6, 2016 at 10:25 AM

Or he’s read the comments, like on here and elsewhere

• 5 cyprus // Jul 6, 2016 at 10:33 AM

Your comments are fair, I’m not saying he’s a world beater but he is playing quite regularly in one of the best teams in the world. At the game, being an NUFC player, I of course watched him closer. I thought the opposite. Many a time, he cleared the field for others, only to see them take ridiculous shots or not pass to him.

Of course, the one shot he had he sent to the upper tier 🙂

• 6 Nufc-83 // Jul 6, 2016 at 10:33 AM

I cant understand all the praise Moussa is recieving in this tornament. I watched him closely against Iceland and he was bang average to poor yet the medial all put out he had a great game. He did nothing and like wayayman says he made wrong decisions and got in the way of other players. I can understand the likes of Giroud, Griezman, Pogba and mautidi getting praise as they actually played well but Moussa done sweet F A.

• 7 Nufc-83 // Jul 6, 2016 at 10:36 AM

Cyprus it really is strange how people can watch the same game and come out with two totally different opinions as football is a pretty simple game. I seen Sagna at one stage give him a terrible look becuase he was standing 2 yards away from him and not moving at all.

• 8 AncientC // Jul 6, 2016 at 10:39 AM

The Telegraph is linking Tottenham with Wijnaldum. If Tottenham do make a bid, I hope the club stall Tottenham and squeeze every last penny out of them.

Look at the deal the club got on Townsend, probably paid double to what he was truly worth at that point, and for good measure came with a release clause.

• 9 expatmag // Jul 6, 2016 at 10:40 AM

Many of us so called repulsive Australians are more than happy to have left your sinking shores for a better quality of life in a wonderfully lucky country many years ago and can now look back laughingly as you drown in your own man made shower of shyte.

• 10 Wayayman // Jul 6, 2016 at 10:42 AM

Let’s face it, he’s not going to be playing for us next season so I hope he has a upped his market value so we can buy a replacement that actually wants to be here.

• 11 expatmag // Jul 6, 2016 at 10:46 AM

We will be better off selling both Wihnaldum and Sissoko for around 40 million quid and spend the money on areas of the team that needs strengthening as a priority……like the defence

• 12 Nufc-83 // Jul 6, 2016 at 10:48 AM

Ancient so you think ~12m is not the going rate for a player who is English was still to reach his peak age and had performed at a very high level for clubs and on the international stage?

• 13 Mister Tuff // Jul 6, 2016 at 10:51 AM

Proof of Delusion – Jib Jibberish believes he has fans.
    Such beliefs held by Jib must also indicate a multitude of untreated mental issues.

• 14 martoon // Jul 6, 2016 at 10:52 AM

Nufc-83 @6 – I agree with you – I also watched him closely and a lot of the time he was just jogging around and when he did have the ball a lot of his passes were backwards, I think I remember one decent cross he put in. If he had a game like that for NUFC he would have got dogs abuse on here.

• 15 Nufc-83 // Jul 6, 2016 at 10:58 AM

Just looked over the players released by prem clubs and in terms of experienced CB’s:
    – Haangeland
    – Marriapa
    – K Toure
    – Woodgate (guessing retired)

Apart from Toure I am not sure there is life left in them??

• 16 AncientC // Jul 6, 2016 at 11:02 AM

Nufc-83, Townsend wasn’t getting game time, his contract was near its end, and he was a complete gamble.

At £13/14 million, I have no doubt whatsoever the club overpaid.

The form that Townsend eventually started showing for Newcastle, is not the form he was showing for Tottenham.

• 17 BoyNUFC // Jul 6, 2016 at 11:04 AM

Chronicle reporting that Jesuz Gamez will be next through the door.
    Halfway down the page on this link…

• 18 AncientC // Jul 6, 2016 at 11:05 AM

I double checked, £12 million (for Townsend) was correct. I still believe that was overpaying.

• 19 pyunky // Jul 6, 2016 at 11:08 AM

Love the way Rafa has handled both Moussa and Gini. Rafa is a round peg in a round hole guy. I would have thought that a left winger is the first Priority to compliment Matt Ritchie. We have so many different types of number 10’s, but they are square pegs as Left Wingers. We only have Rolando, Sammi and Florian – with only Rolando that will definitely stay.

• 20 The one and Ayoze 17 // Jul 6, 2016 at 11:08 AM

Hey guys, long time reader and posted a few times over the years, but just wanted to say I’m actually looking forward to a season for the first time in a quite a while, but I still think we’re looking very short at the back and need to bring in at least 3 defenders as an absolute minimum, although it seems to have gone quiet on CD links recently.
    When do the squad leave for Ireland?

• 21 AncientC // Jul 6, 2016 at 11:09 AM

“According to the CIES research team, which analyses transfers in Europe’s big five leagues, Newcastle overpaid by £5.4m when they spent £12m signing England winger Andros Townsend from Tottenham.”

“The CIES Football Observatory team of academics estimates transfer values based on 1,500 fee-paying deals involving the big five European leagues since June 2009.

It takes into account the “inflationary trend” of transfer fees and calculate a player’s worth based on their statistics in six key areas – age, position, contract, international status, experience and performance.

Footballers with the highest transfer values in the study generally play in competitive teams, are active full internationals, play in attacking positions, have long-term contracts and are under 27 years of age.”

• 22 cyprus // Jul 6, 2016 at 11:11 AM

That’s the good thing about football. Different points of view. Even the so called experts (coaches etc.) often shoot from the hip and use opinions and instinct as a guideline. They ain’t exactly PhDs, remember. Oftentimes they are ex-footballers, not exactly scientifically or academically inclined. Many a footballer aren’t exactly geniuses.

Have you watched a politician you like speak? Chances are, you liked what you heard. It’s selective perception. You were looking closely for mistakes, dirty Sagna looks etc. I was looking out for completed passes, good moves etc.

Conclusion: we’re both right 🙂

• 23 Oldgit1 // Jul 6, 2016 at 11:12 AM

@ mr tuff. At least Jib contributes to this blog by way of football related threads.
    Yes I can say I am a fan of Jib and also Bobbybee and many others who treat this blog and readers with respect . Unlike you and Lesh who come over as total Morons and do not contribute nothin to this site at all.
    Me and a few others would be very grateful if you two left the site and let us have a sensible respectful, and intelligent conversations. I’m hoping you will take this as good advice .

• 24 cyprus // Jul 6, 2016 at 11:18 AM

The commentators, who are also amateurs masquerading as experts (here I mean they didn’t really analyse anything in detail), said his performance had earned him a start next game. Again, for what that’s worth.

• 25 expatmag // Jul 6, 2016 at 11:24 AM

Oh dear….. waiting for the inevitable retort

• 26 expatmag // Jul 6, 2016 at 11:27 AM

In the business world, there is a saying along the lines of statistics and damned lies but I think in the case of Townsend, the club did well to make a million pound profit over a short period of time on a player who made it obvious he wanted out.

• 27 Jib // Jul 6, 2016 at 11:28 AM

• 28 Rotonda heights // Jul 6, 2016 at 11:30 AM

That’s a bit harsh and if ”they do not contribute nothin”, presumably they do contribute something. Better than the multiples on here at least.

• 29 Mister Tuff // Jul 6, 2016 at 11:37 AM

Oldgit – I note you conveniently forget all the abuse doled out by Jib.
    Do you always contribute footballing matters on the blog. Tell me what year that was and I’ll check it out.

• 30 AncientC // Jul 6, 2016 at 11:39 AM

expatmag: Without trying to sound bitter, I believe the club has done extremely well to make that £1 million profit on Townsend. I am not expecting Townsend to carry his form into next season, and I believe we will be looking back on Townsend’s transfer to Palace as a blessing.

If we come back up and Townsend is struggling, I would expect he would want to play under Benitez again. We may not have seen the last of him.

For now, I think it is a good piece of business, even if it was out of the club’s hands.

• 31 The one and Ayoze 17 // Jul 6, 2016 at 11:44 AM
    Looks like we about to sign a right back, does that mean janmaat is off? Surely we need a left back more with Mbabu, Anita, sterry and janmaat all able to play RB or will Mbabu be CD back up?

• 32 manxpie // Jul 6, 2016 at 11:48 AM

We would have payed townsend a million so that’s that profit gone infact probably more, so a loss lol
    anyways all English players are over priced if Ritchie had got an England cap instead he’d be up in the 20 millions thank fusk he plays for Scotland

• 33 geordie157 // Jul 6, 2016 at 11:50 AM

Jesus Gamez, good signing if it happens. Primarily a right back but have seen him at centre back when he was at Malaga. Champs league experience at A.Madrid.

Tough tackler, very committed player and defensive minded so just what we need, he might also cover left back….maybe.

• 34 The one and Ayoze 17 // Jul 6, 2016 at 11:53 AM

Sounds good as long as he’s better defensively than janmaat, just read another article that says he can play left back aswell.

• 35 Oldgit1 // Jul 6, 2016 at 12:28 PM

@ mr tuff I use to contribute but got fed up with the ganging up and abuse so now am a reader of the blog, when I see others getting the same treatment off the likes of you, Lesh and a few others in some cases forcing newbies off this site I find disturbing. Hence the statement made.

• 36 Lindisfarne // Jul 6, 2016 at 12:58 PM

Townsend will end up at left back.

£30M for Gini and Socks will be good for building up the squad.If not now then when we are looking good in January.

previous post: Rafa Benitez Reported After Spanish Full-Back