The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

This Midfield Star Wants To Stay At Newcastle

5:57 pm, Wednesday, July 6th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 21 Comments

News today that the agent of Newcastle forward Siem de Jong, Louis Laros, has said that Siem wants to stay with Rafa Benitez at Newcastle and would not be interested in a move to Turkish side Fenerbehce.

There was news on MOnday that the top Turkish side were interested in the Dutch International and that Newcastle would be asking £6.75M for a player we paid £6M to Ajax for only two years ago.

siem de jong ayoze perez

Siem de Jong in training last Friday

But Laros has said that in any case there has in fact been no contact with Fenerbahce.

Siem has had a nightmare time of it at Newcastle over the last couple of years.

His first year on Tyneside was a washout because of injuries and illness – some of them serious – like a collapsed lung.

And in the second year after only just avoiding relegation in 2015, we were relegated in May.

Things were much better last season on the fitness side of things for Siem, but he couldn’t nail down a starting place although he did make 17 appearances for Newcastle with one goal last term.

The 6 times capped Netherlands International would do well to work with Rafa Benitez, who can surely start to get the best out of  Siem.

The 27 year-old after all is a skillful player who has shown at Ajax that he can score goals against top opposition.

Maybe it’s just a confidence thing, but it would be good if Siem can stay with us and help us get quickly promoted back to the Premier League next May.

Staying at Newcastle is what we want to hear from more of our better players – that they will commit to Newcastle for this coming season, rather than want to leave via the back-door just as soon as possible.

To be fair,  there are only a few players who fit into that category at the club at the moment.

Siem is a good player and we are hoping he can still be (very) successful on Tyneside.

What do you think?

Tags: Coaching · Management · Newcastle News · Other News · Siem de Jong · Transfer News and Rumours

21 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jail for Ashley // Jul 6, 2016 at 6:02 PM

Of course he bloody well does, he’s set for life with 2/3M pounds coming his way for the next four years. Let’s just hope he stays injury free and becomes a world class player.

• 2 firebug666 // Jul 6, 2016 at 6:11 PM

If de Jong can stay fit and get a regular run in the team then I would want him to be our captain, he know what he is doing he is a leader and is very vocal; apparently even in training.

• 3 Jail for Ashley // Jul 6, 2016 at 6:13 PM

Not a bad shout but I want Tiote if Sissoko forks off.

• 4 Jail for Ashley // Jul 6, 2016 at 6:15 PM

Ferks. What happened to my red underline function 🙁

• 5 firebug666 // Jul 6, 2016 at 6:16 PM

Another good shout, Tiote’s game improved with that armband, but for me we need someone who is not afraid to have a go at his team mates and get them to lift there game. Sissoko was the same with the armband, he played a little better but failed to rally the others.

• 6 Bobbybee // Jul 6, 2016 at 6:17 PM

I hope we keep him myself. I’ve seen enough glimpses of the real man to know how good he can be and what damage he could do in the Championship. He must be one of the most unlucky players in PL history when it comes to injuries, but sadly that’s football.

• 7 Jib // Jul 6, 2016 at 6:23 PM

If he stays fit Siem could be like a new signing !!

• 8 Jail for Ashley // Jul 6, 2016 at 6:27 PM

Very true, you don’t see Tiote shouting much where as SDJ has years of experience as captain of a top club. I just can’t work out what’s happened with him though, it was hard to keep up with whether he was injured, not match fit or just plain out of form, that sitter he missed against (Villa?) didn’t do him any good at all mind.

• 9 WWSBRD // Jul 6, 2016 at 6:28 PM

At what point do people accept players won’t get fit? Ajax got shot of him for exactly that reason

• 10 firebug666 // Jul 6, 2016 at 6:32 PM

Jail/ WW

To be fair to the lad, he had an unlucky time with injuries, and was simply not ready to play by the time Rafa got here. I think he deserves a chance with a good manager who know how to get the best out of his players and staff.

This Championship season may be just what he needs to kick start his Newcastle career. But as with all players only time will tell. He owes us at least one good season imo so I am willing to give him that chance.

• 11 WWSBRD // Jul 6, 2016 at 6:38 PM

Aren’t all injuries unlucky? The bloke couldn’t stay fit in training how will he cope with a gruelling championship season? Probably pretty well with the money he’s on

Rafa is a good manager and deserves a good squad to utilise, personally am sick of having half a team out injured. Get shot imo not just de Jong all those who can’t stay fit

• 12 Harley // Jul 6, 2016 at 6:39 PM

Damn!! I thought it was going to be winaldum.

If we can sell him, I would. I just don’t think he’s built for the English game. None of the last 3 managers have played him even when fit, there must be a reason.

• 13 Jib // Jul 6, 2016 at 6:44 PM

You’ve touched on something that was a bit of a rod for our own back probably initiated by Ashley and Llambias’ reputations as a couple of chancers.
    NUFC for a time certainly was perceived as a club that would take a chance on a crock.
    They discovered a couple of sports injury specialists in the USA who were so far ahead of Europe that they would achieve miracles.

Ask Curtis Good !

• 14 Tsunki // Jul 6, 2016 at 6:46 PM

Photo caption –

Siem – ” You know, I really think this season is going to be the one where I finally come good!”

Ayoze – ” heh heh heh..snigger…”

• 15 firebug666 // Jul 6, 2016 at 6:46 PM

But Rafa has now taken some positive step to improve the injury record, personally I thought a lot of players were just swinging the lead too.

If Siem can get his fitness levels up (now that his lung has been fixed, and he can see again after his eye injury) he will be a very good player for us. He is intelligent, can score and make a crucial pass, and as I said earlier he is very vocal on and off the pitch.

A lot of players were suffering with fitness last season, hence the lack lustre displays we were privileged to watch not just de Jong, but after almost two years of not getting in the team it was always going to be an uphill struggle for him to get back in.

This season he will have pre-season with Rafa and his team, and if he is ready I think he still has a lot to offer. Just my opinion marra.

• 16 Belfast // Jul 6, 2016 at 6:50 PM

It’s obviously got nowt to do with his huge salary he’s earning.

• 17 Jail for Ashley // Jul 6, 2016 at 6:53 PM

I’m not sure how it all works, Marveaux, Gosling, Santon, SDJ etc buying crocked players hoping they’ll come good, if it’s covered by insurance we must have the equivalent of a three times disqualified and jailed drunk drivers policy!

• 18 WWSBRD // Jul 6, 2016 at 6:55 PM

I agree

No doubt he has some quality but he won’t be fit. Any player who u have to say ‘if he stays fit’ before making a point on them can go imo

Haidara, Aarons, de Jong, Elliott (who I think has been sussed by Rafa anyway), Good etc I won’t miss any of them

As for medical staff etc being sorted it’s been getting sorted for years now still constant injuries

• 19 WWSBRD // Jul 6, 2016 at 6:56 PM

Always gives the excuse of oh ‘we tried’ though doesn’t it?

• 20 Bobbybee // Jul 6, 2016 at 7:17 PM

Jib, 😉 Just been reading one of those HITC posts and they say exactly the same – could be like a new signing. Can anybody remember the first time that phrase was used, because it’s been used about our players regularly. I see Insomnia is training with the mackems. Still struggling to find that big club he left us for then! 😉

• 21 Lager_arm // Jul 6, 2016 at 8:20 PM

I’d rather have an actual new signing, basically because siem De jong’s absolute shite

previous post: Benitez – I’m Not Stupid – We Have To Keep Doing This