The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Benitez Admits There’s A Problem With Adam Armstrong

8:33 am, Thursday, July 7th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 18 Comments

This is a key preseason for 19 year-old Newcastle striker Adam Armstrong, as the local lad tries to show Rafa Benitez that he is good enough for the Newcastle first team.

But Adam suffered a knee injury playing for the England U19 team in Mexico a few weeks ago and it turns out he is still not fully fit and not back in full training, although he is back running.

adam armstrong

Adam Armstrong while on loan at Coventry last season

It’s difficult therefore for Rafa to assess the Chapel House lad, but when he is ready then Rafa has to make a decision on the lad and whether he is good enough right now to play in Newcastle’s first team..

Rafa has talked about this problem  today and how he will have to assess the local lad objectively:

“He’s running, coming back from his injury. Obviously I know he had a great, great season at Coventry.”

“I was talking with him afterwards. Now we have to wait, and see how he is in pre-season.”

“It’s always difficult with the competition, especially when you are a young player. For me as a manager, if you ask me what do you prefer?”

“I prefer local players but they have to be good enough to compete at the maximum level. The top sides have the best Academies but still they need to bring in foreign players.”

“The main thing is to give him the opportunity to show his level. If we think the best thing is to send him away to keep developing, then we will do that.”

Armstrong was sent out on loan last season and he did well at Coventry City scoring a goal every two games for them and ended up with 20 goals in 40 appearances for the Sky Blues.

Adam is one of our most promising  young players at the club and he is a local lad too, so we are hoping he can come through this season.

But if he is not ready then Rafa will farm him out on loan to another club for either half a season or the full season as he continues his development – hopefully  on his way to becoming a future Newcastle star player.

Tags: Adam Armstrong · Coaching · Development squad · England News · Newcastle News

18 responses so far ↓

• 1 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jul 7, 2016 at 8:37 AM

I see the English Football League have invited 16 Premier League Academy’s to play in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy including the TOON’s
    The teams invited will be allowed to field 5 players older than 21 in their starting line ups.

• 2 Jail for Ashley // Jul 7, 2016 at 8:44 AM

If he’s going to go on loan it has to be to a mid table Championship club. No good putting him back in league one. It would be better to see him in a good Championship team though, give him until the loan deadline is up before making a decision.

• 3 Spoof // Jul 7, 2016 at 8:46 AM

I feel that Janmaat will go for two reasons, one he wants to, he made that clear when he openly stated that he wanted to use the Holland games as a shop window for himself and two, as I have mentioned many times Rafa likes to keep it tight and I suspect that he looks at Janmaat’s defending with horror, now with Anita, Sterry and Mbabu Rafa may feel he has enough to let him go, if not then he may sign another who can cover, but for me one thing is for sure, Janmaat is not a Rafa type of defender whereas Gamez is.

• 4 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 7, 2016 at 8:53 AM

Lascelles did play a lot of Championship games. He was also dropped for long spells by Forest as he lacked consistency. Mbemba has talent but is way off a top centre half. Young, and will definitely develop and improve, but there is a lot of improvement to go.

absolutely nobody should be told they are a definite first choice. Every single player arriving back for pre season should be told that each spot is up for grabs, go and earn it in preseason.

I’d be disappointed if Colback left, and can’t see it happening at all. I think he will have an important role to play within the squad this year. I’d rather see anyone who wants out gone personally. Even if we don’t get top dollar. Poor attitude and atmosphere within the squad has been a problem over the last couple of years, and it won’t be helped by players whose heart isn’t in it.

Anyway, got to go now, helping select the Malawi U17 National team squad for the upcoming COSAFA cup. It’s going to be an absolute disaster given there are no U17 cups or league structures in the country, so it is just anyone who wants to turns up for try outs. The worrying thing is that the Malawi FA think this is a good process and will give them a good chance of success.

• 5 WWSBRD // Jul 7, 2016 at 8:55 AM

Bobby is going to be furious isnt he

• 6 martoon // Jul 7, 2016 at 8:55 AM

Charlie – sadly I follow NUFC on FB and Twitter and the announcement on there was that it is the Academies with Category 1 status that are allowed to enter.

• 7 Nufc-83 // Jul 7, 2016 at 8:58 AM

Jaanmat is defensively solid as the majority of high level fullback even more so than the best full backs in the word such as marcello and dani alves. Jaanmat before the 2nd half of last season was being touted as the future captain and putting in Mom performances most weeks. Its funny how short people memory’s are.

• 8 Nufc-83 // Jul 7, 2016 at 9:00 AM

Lillo i would not suggest telling them their place is cemented as first choice cb but more of who should be starting in that position come the start of the season.

• 9 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jul 7, 2016 at 9:02 AM

It is reported in the ‘I’ newspaper ‘fifteen of those invited clubs come from the Premier League, with Newcastle getting the final invite as the next highest finisher in last season’s league pyramid’

to be honest ain’t seen it mentioned anywhere else

• 10 Spoof // Jul 7, 2016 at 9:06 AM

A lot of people say that if a player wants to go let him because all he will do is sulk and cause disharmony, that’s not always the case, Fergie forced Ronaldo to stay and he was a revelation, Stones was forced to stay and played well, Bale’s last season at Spurs was his best and that came after he was forced to stay, and personally I felt that on a consistency level Cabaye’s best period for us was when we did not allow him to join Arsenal, obviously there will be times when forcing them to stay does back fire but I really do hope that one of Sissoko or Wijnaldum is forced to stay and you just never know we may see an improvement from them and if we do go up then in twelve months time they could be happy to stay with us.

• 11 Jail for Ashley // Jul 7, 2016 at 9:07 AM

We have just lost two first team regulars and haven’t brought anyone in yet, there is talk of bringing in three defenders. If Jaanmat leaves then that has to be four which I can’t see happening. Be honest here, not that many on here watch academy football so are just going on people’s hopes that a youngster will come good. Flashes of brilliance from Sameobi, Vukic an up and coming world class player, Adam Campbell the ginger Michael Owen, Mbabu and Sterry can not be relied upon solely as our defensive cover. By all means integrate them in slowly. The clubs future is pretty much at stake this season it is not fair on anyone to see Mbemba/Lascelles/Dummet/Jaanmat injured early on only to find out that the youngsters aren’t up for it. We need three in and no one else out.

• 12 martoon // Jul 7, 2016 at 9:08 AM

Charlie – we are both right it is here

• 13 cyprus // Jul 7, 2016 at 9:19 AM

Translation: not good enough. Shame

• 14 Spoof // Jul 7, 2016 at 9:24 AM

Short memory, not me mate, I’ve said he was poor from day one, if I’m wrong I admit it, when he signed I said that Townsend was a waste of money, now he’s left I’m gutted as he proved me totally wrong.

Our new signings, time will tell but I feel that Sels will be good, very good, Gayle will be a bargain as he has been unfortunate to play for Pulis, Warnock and Pardew, now I’m not saying that they are bad managers but they all prefer an old fashioned target man which Gayle isn’t, Rafa prefers pace and movement so I really do expect him to thrive.

Ritchie will do well in the Championship but I don’t think he has got what it takes for the PL, Yeah he done ok for Bournemouth especially at the start of the season but adrenalin is a wonderful thing and at the start of the season he would have been full of it as most players from promoted clubs are but when the real rigours set in Ritchie was what, average, so short term he will do a job, but long term he isn’t going to succeed for me, so there you are I told you my expectations and if I’m right then so be it, but if I’m wrong then I will admit it, but short memory, nah, your way off the mark there.

Within two days you have said I am deluded and I have a short memory, not nice, not nice at all, be careful bonny lad, just be careful !

• 15 emperor // Jul 7, 2016 at 9:44 AM

We should loan him out to a lower championship team

• 16 Spoof // Jul 7, 2016 at 9:46 AM

I agree mate, we do need more in, and I do get fed up with people saying that Dummett can cover CB, Mbemba can cover right back, Colback can cover left back and so on, yes those comments may well be true but we don’t want to be shuffling our defenders around in an attempt to cover for one another, we need some straight replacements, if one goes out then another comes in, I’m in total agreement with you, but opposed to most I would rather see another to cover not replace but to cover for Dummett, as well as getting two CB’s, Haidara is dreadful we need to get him out and replaced with someone who can defend and stay fit, Lascellas and Mbemba could be a great partnership, but they are kids and they have no back up at all, the only part of the defence which I am happy with apart from the keeper is right back as Gamez, one assist in something like 12/13 games or so and I’m not sure if he has ever scored a goal in his entire career, gets thirty yards from his keeper and he has a nose bleed, but can he defend and do a job, to bloody right he can and that is what we need, as for back up, put Sterry to one side as I wouldn’t recognise him if I passed him in the street such has been his lack of appearance time, but Anita as cover was good enough for the PL so I would expect him to be fine now and the same goes with Mbabu, if we look at Mbabu as I keep saying, defenders must defend, he does, I really do feel ok with him as cover, yes people will say injuries but injuries can happen to anyone at anytime, we could sign another rign back to cover and he may get injured in training, I would be happy with Mbabu as cover, obviously you are are bit concerned about that which is fine, we all view things differently.

• 17 JP...from The Rock // Jul 7, 2016 at 11:58 AM

He jist had to get injured didn’t he. What typical Newcastle luck that is. I would loan him out to a club in the lower part of the Championship. And if he’s still banging them in for fun I will call him back for Christmas.

• 18 Veltmann // Jul 7, 2016 at 2:17 PM

Haven’t seen him except once.So don’t give flyer whether he stays or loaned out!!

previous post: Newcastle Training Photos From Wednesday