New Signing Swayed By Great Manager And 50,000 Crowds

Dwight Gayle has been interviewed on BBC Newcastle today and he admits that the attraction of Newcastle is our world-class manager Rafa Benitez and the fact the club will still get 50,000 home gates, even though we are a second division club this season.

Dwight signed for us last Friday for around £9M from Crystal Palace and will strengthen Newcastle’s scoring prowess, which wasn’t very potent or even visible last season.

Dwight-Gayle-PresentaciónNota-300x200

Dwight Gayle after signing for Newcastle United

This is what Dwight has told BBC Newcastle today about manager Rafa Benitez who is in control of all football matters at the club:

“He is a great manager and has great experience.”

“There’s expectation, but under the manager here I believe he can help me to perform.”

“There’s a great history at Newcastle – I’m looking forward to getting this club back in the Premier League and proving a few people wrong.”

“There was other interest but the opportunity of playing at Newcastle in front of 50,000 is a great one.”

“It’s great for a player to have the support behind them, it gives you that extra strength. It was the best thing for me in my career.”

During his three seasons at Palace, he scored 25 goals and had 3 assists in 74 games and was the top scorer in each of the last three seasons at Selhurst Park after signing on from Peterborough United in the summer of 2013.

Palace paid  £4.5M for the player and that transfer price had doubled over the last three years.

We expect the coaching of Rafa Benitez to get the very best out of Gayle, who seems to be a natural goalscorer as well as  a smashing lad.

• SupaToonKid

Jul 7, 2016 at 4:14 PM

“Supa toon I would put my house on Moussa not being at the toon come the end of the window. I would put my car on Jaanmat and Gini not being here ?” – Nufc-83

Lol such confidence. I’m not disagreeing, you could be right, I don’t think it’s as set in stone as everyone else does. I’d like them to stay. But if I do stay. I’ll happily collect the keys to both your house and car matey

• funlovingexpress

Jul 7, 2016 at 4:15 PM

Jail, I said we needed cover. The first choice back 4 is a good back for though and yes Mcclaren didn’t pick his best 4.

Look at the last 6 results. It shows that Lascelles and Mbemba are good CB’s and they haven’t even had time to form an understanding yet. They will get better and better with games.

Personally I would have then went for Mbabu and Jaanmaat as wingbacks and if Mcclaren had did that he would still be in a job.

RAFA doesn’t do wingbacks though so see both of them leaving anyhow.

• Derek

Jul 7, 2016 at 4:19 PM

I’m absolutely amazed, a photo of a new signing that doesn’t have any strategically placed Sports Direct logos in the background!!

Maybe Ashley really has changed his approach now we are in the Championship.. hmmm!

• JDdubai

Jul 7, 2016 at 4:22 PM

FLE

Mbabu just signed a 2 yr deal so dont think he is going anywhere.

Lascelles and Mbemba should start as first choice Cbs for me, showed enough promise last season and the 1 tall, 1 quick combo is potentially perfect, much more reassuring than the Colo-saylor/Willo combos we had previously. Lascelles for captain also unless Rafa doesnt see him starting.

Happy for Sissoko and Wini to leave as now i feel we will definitely get replacements with Rafa here and each can be replaced by 2 others so will help build the strength of the squad. If they are still here in September then fair enough also.

Cant believe we got relegated and are looking forward to the championship with so much positivity. Feels good.

• Bobbybee

Jul 7, 2016 at 4:30 PM

Nufc 83, if you watch Arma’s goals, so many come from that amazing burst of speed down the channels. If Coventry’s players could pick that run – no disrespect to them, but they were cobbled together from journeymen and youth loanies – then our midfield will have a field day picking out both players. Watching him play for the U21’s with De Jong was a pleasure, because De Jong released him time after time and the goals flowed. I expect Mitro to play a bigger part this season and at home, i’m not sure he’ll stick with 4231 because we won’t need two holding midfielders. That leaves a possibility to play Mitro and either one or the other, or just go with Arma and Gayle’s speed and play it through their defence. The options are endless. I just hope Arma gets fit in time to show what we both know he’s capable of. If not, another six months on loan will do him no harm. Clubs are queing up to take him and he’ll score anywhere, which will have Rafa calling him back.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Jul 7, 2016 at 4:42 PM

Gan on Mark Cavendish win no 3

• Back Door Man

Jul 7, 2016 at 4:45 PM

On the two occasions I’ve seen Armstrong play I’ve been impressed with his attacking determination, his ability to run at and pass defenders;  I don’t think his size matters. So I support Bobby’s pimping of Armstrong;  give him a decent chance in the team and he’ll do well.

• Back Door Man

Jul 7, 2016 at 4:48 PM

The Man hasn’t warned the glorious Mr Tuff to behave he’s warned us all … just look at the sidebar on the home page!!!

• jib follower

Jul 7, 2016 at 4:49 PM

Arma does the biz for me

• geordie157

Jul 7, 2016 at 5:02 PM

Really like the transfer of Gamez, finally some leadership at the back, add to that hanley and lascelles and things are looking good.

Left back and another midfielder/winger next week would be great!

No sign of many offers coming in for players, I thought cisse would have gone by now

• Mister Tuff

Jul 7, 2016 at 5:06 PM

I note that my pic of Armstrong as a dwarf results in abuse – but somebody else who posted a dwarf pic earlier does not. Ah consistency what a wonderful thing.

• Toon-Prodigy

Jul 7, 2016 at 5:08 PM

Santon to the makums?? I’d take him back.

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jul 7, 2016 at 5:14 PM

Personally, looking at the whole affair from a neutral standpoint, i would have thought the dwarf pics were more of a dig at those calling arma short, rather than at the those who rate him.

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jul 7, 2016 at 5:15 PM

And certainly not a dig at arma himself

• Mister Tuff

Jul 7, 2016 at 5:18 PM

ycmiu – my pic was just a general joke – aimed at no-one. But I get abuse- one mans jokes/comedy -another mans poison.

• Bobbybee

Jul 7, 2016 at 5:23 PM

The simple answer is just to grow up. YCMIU, he doesn’t rate Arma, so he sure isn’t defending him. Go figure. He’s trying to draw me into biting, but lacks the intellect to do it, because his opinion doesn’t bother me. 😉

• swemag

Jul 7, 2016 at 5:23 PM

If we do get close to 40 million for Sissoko and Wini I must say that is pretty good return on two players that has no interest in playing for us this year and in long spells showed little interest last year for long spells.

They cost us somewhere in the region of 16 million.

Sell, sell, sell. A no brainer.

• Belfast

Jul 7, 2016 at 5:26 PM

I would like to see them sold asap. Give us plenty a time too replace them.

• welshgeordie9

Jul 7, 2016 at 5:27 PM

According to Lancashire Telegraph.

Blackburn Rovers have not received a bid from Newcastle United for captain Grant Hanley.

So it might not be him.

• lesh

Jul 7, 2016 at 5:29 PM

YCMIU

Posting pictures of dwarfs as figures of fun is a poor attempt at humour, no matter who posts ’em.

No, I’m not part of the PC brigade but c’mon guys, think before posting such.

• welshgeordie9

Jul 7, 2016 at 5:29 PM

As for that Spanish guy we are after, how long does it take to get here from Spain.

• Bobbybee

Jul 7, 2016 at 5:34 PM

Swemag, i think the idea is that if teams want them that badly, then they pay Rafa’s valuation or it ain’t happening. Despite their dodgy attitude, they’re still good footballers and still under contract. He’s set his price, but doubt he’ll keep that forever. It’s buy early or forget it, so he can have time to find adequate replacements. Replacing players of their calibre won’t be easy, hence the price. Playing under Rafa, both could rip the Championship apart and promotion is further up the table than selling, which adequately explains his stance. It’s no lose for us either way. Happy days.

• lesh

Jul 7, 2016 at 5:35 PM

Swemag

Ye jest. £40m for Wijlnadum AND Sissoko?

Nah, Sissoko’s said he’s Champions League standard, so he’s got to be worth at least £30m to a Prem club and maybe a bit more for Wijlandum.

• SPRINGY

Jul 7, 2016 at 5:38 PM

looks like allerdyce is going to play santon in the position he grew up playing(rb) but was never given the chance to by you know who at the toon….strange that!lol

• swemag

Jul 7, 2016 at 5:40 PM

@Bobbybee

They are on their day amazing players.

The problem for me is that those days does not seem to happen when they are wearing the black and white.

For Sissoko we have had this discussion on and off for the better part of the last two seasons, maybe it is just time to say good bye and let that good bye be bit easier with a net profit of 18 million.

• hibbitt

Jul 7, 2016 at 5:42 PM

welshgeordie9
    total agree it’s more than likely a play the press haven’t mentioned judging by his other buys that seems to be Rafas way

• SPRINGY

Jul 7, 2016 at 5:43 PM

still have to think whats going to happen c/m/def/m…tiote,saivet,shelvey,colback,anita,mbemba….will it be two holding or one,who stays or goes…a lot of decisions to be made and will be interesting to see how it all pans out tbh.

• Blofal

Jul 7, 2016 at 5:45 PM

I’m not too worried about left back. Rafa doesn’t like his full backs getting too far forward and I think Dummett, Haidara and Anita are all more than capable of doing a decent defensive job there. In fact statistically we had way less goals scored against us when Dummett was playing.

My only concern is injuries but with Rafa rotating players, expanding the medical dept and installing 4G pitches at the training grounds we should (fingers crossed) see a great deal less injuries.

• Bobbybee

Jul 7, 2016 at 5:46 PM

Watching SSN and seeing the manure/Pogba thing scrolling across is just so funny. £100m for a player they let go a few short years ago. Funny, funny, funny.

• Blofal

Jul 7, 2016 at 5:54 PM

Springy defensive mid is my biggest concern.

I would love to keep Tiote but I think he will leave.

Rafa always sets up with 2 defensive mids which is why Shelvey lost his place.

Saivet is an unknown and Anita is hit and miss playing there leaving us only with Colback.

I think it’s the most important position on the pitch. Its no coincidence that the year we finished 5th Tiote had a blinder. It’s also no coincidence that Kante was probably the best defensive mid this season and Leicester won the league!

So I think it’s very important we strengthen there.

• Bobbybee

Jul 7, 2016 at 5:56 PM

Swemag, that’s why the price is so high. We all agree they haven’t played to their potential, but in the Championship they’d run riot! 😉 We’ve all felt let down by them, but that doesn’t mean releasing them cheap is the answer. Rafa knows how good they’d be at this level, especially under his coaching. Sissoko keeps reminding us how great he is, but we’ve seen it only in glimpses. CL player? Must be 30m at least. I think they will be sold, but only at that price. Imagine what that could buy if we can persuade players to spend a year in the Championship? The major point is we don’t need, nor in Rafa’s case, want to sell. The ball’s in our court. Pay up, or move on. Someone will likely pay up.

• WWSBRD

Jul 7, 2016 at 5:57 PM

How people don’t see LB as an issue confuses me we had Sissoko play there last season

• SPRINGY

Jul 7, 2016 at 6:01 PM

blofal
    i was wondering if tiote is away and we are to sign a couple of cb’s would mbemba of had a word and said he preferred the def/mid role rather then cb….just a thought…but there does’nt seem to any def/mid links so it looks like what we have we hold in the players we have now.

• SPRINGY

Jul 7, 2016 at 6:04 PM

wwsbrd
    there does’nt seem to be a specialist lb being mentioned,so maybe he’s going with dummett,haidara….just the way its looking at the minute.

• hibbitt

Jul 7, 2016 at 6:06 PM

Blofal
    i see Mbemba as the perfect replacement for Tiote and think that’s why we need a CB
    without doubt we need a specialist LB the sooner the better for me

• Bambams

Jul 7, 2016 at 6:09 PM

What a week at work !

Three days off now and I can catch up with what’s happening.

I still think we need a LB but I must admit like 99% of us ‘In Rafa I Trust’

I know I rabbit on about SDJ but I still hope we keep him and he shows what I think he is capable of. Class player and could be just who we need to unlock tight sit back defences.

Three more signings and keep the lot of them and I know we will return to the Prem

Enjoy your evening you lot

• Bobbybee

Jul 7, 2016 at 6:10 PM

Boro just signed victor valdes

• WWSBRD

Jul 7, 2016 at 6:11 PM

SPRINGY
    We didn’t see any GKs linked with us then we signed one, same with RBs until yesterday

LB is a huge issue in our first 11

• Bobbybee

Jul 7, 2016 at 6:13 PM

Bambams, agree with SDJ mate, he’s been extremely unlucky so far. He can pick the passes that will free either Arma or Gayle when they make those runs.

• clinath@ed

Jul 7, 2016 at 6:14 PM

From what’s been saup d, there is money available to refit the side without sellin our “stars” this summer. However, come January it may be reviewed, if they still want to go and there are buyers interested then let them fund another push at the run in to the title intensifies.
    As for Arma, I’m a big fan just like Bobby, but if Rafa deems him NOT ready, then lend him out on a short leash, so we can snatch him back at next to no notice.