The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle’s Potential Fifth Summer Signing Identified

3:17 pm, Thursday, July 7th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 15 Comments

It looks like the center-back Newcastle are hoping to sign this week is 24 year-old Blackburn Rovers’  Scottish International Grant Hanley, and he is expected to be Newcastle’s fifth signing this summer.

The Chronicle is reporting they understand Rafa Benitez has targeted the Dumfries born defender to bolster what has been a very weak defense for the last four years and it will be the second defensive reinforcement brought in so far.

Grant Hanley – Blackburn center-back and captain

31 year-old Atletico Madrid defender Jesus Gamez is expected to sign for Newcastle before the day is out.

The local paper is reporting sources in Lancashire have told them Newcastle made an enquiry this week for the 6ft 3in center-back.

Grant has played 200 times with 9 goals for Blackburn over the last six seasons including 46 games last season with two goals and he has played in both the Championship and the Premier League.

It’s interesting that Hanley is currently the captain of Blackburn and as we know Newcastle are really short of both leaders and strong characters in the dressing room.

Sky Sports are reporting that Atletico Madrid defender Jesus Gamez will be taking his medical at Newcastle and the club hopes to sign him and another defender before the week is out.

Maybe that other defender is indeed Grant Hanley, who has played 23 times for Scotland with one goal.

Jesus Gamez was the captain of Malaga for three years from 2011, before he joined Atletico Madrid two years ago, so Rafa is bringing some much needed leadership to Newcastle.

Newcastle signed 24 year-old goalkeeper Matz Sels, 25 year-old striker Dwight Gayle and 26 year-old winger Matt Ritchie last week.

15 responses so far ↓

• 1 bettyswallocks // Jul 7, 2016 at 3:24 PM

Chronicle are reporting that Gini is available for 25m. It appears that the profit from Gini will help to offset the losses on Thauvin etc. A bit of book balancing and Ashley pacifying going on by the looks of it.

• 2 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 7, 2016 at 3:28 PM

Great stuff. Decent cover I think and offers some competition if we can get him. Don’t see why we can’t.

Keep them coming.

Interesting that not one offer has been made for Sissoko or Wijnaldum as yet.

• 3 Nufc-83 // Jul 7, 2016 at 3:35 PM

Spoof i think your full of the brown stuff i would like to see some evindence of you saying Jaanmat was rubbish when he was playing out of his skin for us prior to the second half of last season. Every Toon fan i know was raving about him at that point saying what a great outlet he was linking up with the wide right player and everyone focused on how poor are left side was.

Bobby you keep saying Arma is the most natural finisher at the club whcih i dont dispute as i really like him but you then say and we dont have anyone like him at the club who is close to him in terms of natural goalscorong ability. I woudl disagree with that point as Gayle is naturally a really good finsiher and can score goals from inside or outside of the box.

• 4 Nufc-83 // Jul 7, 2016 at 3:36 PM

As always sorry for typo’s I just blast a post down and submit without checking 🙂

• 5 Mister Tuff // Jul 7, 2016 at 3:42 PM

Woah – just checked my homemade seismograph and there are tremors building up around Ashington.
    Measuring 7.5 on the Richter scale. Might be an earthquake . Might be a volcano.
    Run for cover.

• 6 SPRINGY // Jul 7, 2016 at 3:45 PM

juventus and napoli are apparently after janmaat….maybe why we signing gamez.

• 7 Mister Tuff // Jul 7, 2016 at 3:55 PM

Pic from the training ground – Adam Armstrong with teammates practicing building a defensive wall.

• 8 SupaToonKid // Jul 7, 2016 at 3:56 PM

I highly doubt those Janmaat links. Juve have just signed Dani Alves and already have Litchsteiner to play 2nd fiddle so Janmaat isn’t going to go to be 3rd. I don’t think a team of Juve’s calibre would sign him either. Napoli is more plausible but as well they have Hysaj and Zuniga.

I still feel unless a ridiculous offer comes in none of Moussa, Gini or Janmaat will go (especially the 2 Dutchman). I feel the Chronicle + other media outlets, along with the fans are just hoping they leave because they feel slightly betrayed after their lax performances. Personally, I’d like to see them stay and refix their images and become stars under Rafa but we’ll see I suppose.

• 9 Bobbybee // Jul 7, 2016 at 3:59 PM

Tuff, will you ever grow up? You really are pathetic.

Toon 83. Pleased we agree on most things mate, ignore the muppet trying to stir it up. Got to be honest and say I haven’t seen as much of Gayle, but what I have seen I like. Arma scores with both feet and literally from anywhere on the pitch. I haven’t seen Gayle do that, but i don’t dispute he can score goals. It’s even better if they are similar players though, because Rafa can work to that plan and mix and swap as he chooses. This will be a long season where one player won’t play every game. It’s football marra and each and every one has differing opinions and is equally entitled to them. Broken brain was hoping to stimulate a row, but he’s so predictable and easy to read it’s comical. The difference between him and grown ups is we can agree on many things, but disagree on others without making it personal. Arma’s not ready to take the full load on his shoulders just yet, so Gayle might be ideal to help him along. Together they might be even better.

• 10 SPRINGY // Jul 7, 2016 at 4:02 PM

aye ya probs right if thats the case,just read it on a site so thought i’d mention it….as for sissoko and gini…i think they’ll do all they can to get a move if there is a concrete offer…as of yet seems like theres not a lot interest,which does look a little embarrassing for there ego’s….obviously there will work going on behind the scenes the public dont see, to get them what they want.

• 11 SupaToonKid // Jul 7, 2016 at 4:03 PM

Hanley would seem like a good fit. I can’t say I have seen him recently and how he has developed (or stagnated) but when he was with Blackburn in the Prem he seemed a good, young prospect with a bright future. He’s passionate, gritty and hardworking + no nonsense. Would fit in well with the acquisition of Gamez who has similar traits. Hopefully both can be brought in soon.

Still hopefully we can get rid of a bit more dead wood and then strengthen with a further defender and hopefully another winger (2 if Thauvin does actually leave)

• 12 Nufc-83 // Jul 7, 2016 at 4:04 PM

Hopefully Bobby i think they will both work very well with target man next to them like Mitro. I think they will both also thrive with Shelvey behind them as his best assett is finding the ball in behind. nealry all of our goals came from scrambles from crosses last season and very few (i can only recall two or three) came from a ball in behind. If you look at most teams they score in varied ways but it was comical with Shelvey last season looking for that ball only to see the static mitro in front of him.

• 13 Nufc-83 // Jul 7, 2016 at 4:05 PM

Supa toon I would put my house on Moussa not being at the toon come the end of the window. I would put my car on Jaanmat and Gini not being here 🙂

• 14 funlovingexpress // Jul 7, 2016 at 4:06 PM

I see Jaanmaat and Mbabu leaving. I would have added Haidara to that but hes injured.

RAFA doesn’t really do wingbacks so I see them all being replaced eventually.

• 15 Bobbybee // Jul 7, 2016 at 4:09 PM

Tufty, you do realise you’re belittling one of the best academy products we’ve ever produced, just to have a dig at me? Your opinion on Arma is so irrelevant to the real fans that nobody cares anyway.

previous post: Sky Sports – Gamez Plus Defender Set To Join Newcastle