The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Dwight Gayle Sets Goal Target – Players Are Buzzing

9:45 am, Friday, July 8th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 46 Comments

In his interviews of yesterday Dwight Gayle said he sets goals target every season and nothing is different now that he is at Newcastle United.

So he will set a target for how many goals he wants to score in the Championship next season.

Gayle also talked about how positive things are on the training field at Benton, for a club that has only just been relegated – and says it feels as through the club has just been promoted if anything.

dwight gayle jamies sterry

Gayle Hanley training with Jamie Sterry

Gayle was asked if he has a goals target for next season:

“I try not to think about it.” “I want to do my best for the team.”

“I will work hard on the training ground, and hopefully do what I can to the best of my ability. The rest will take care of itself.”

“The first thing a striker wants to do in the Championship is set a target of about 20 goals.”

“After each game, I will take the next as it goes, and see how that target goes.”

Dwight also talked at length yesterday about joining Newcastle and how good things have been since he arrived last week.

He also talked about how things are so positive – for a club that has only just been relegated – and the players are simply buzzing:

“My agent said Newcastle were interested,” “I spoke to a few ex-players who told me how good of a manager he was to work under and how good a coach he is.”

“It has been great so far.” “The boys have made me feel really welcome. Seeing some of the ability out on the field has been brilliant, and I am looking forward to it.”

“I remember when I was walking upstairs to sign, it was a bit of a dream come true for me.”

“When St James’s Park is fully packed, I will be a bit shocked in those first few games, but this is a great club and I am looking forward to it.”

“If anything I feels like they have come up from the division below, almost.”

“It feels like everyone is optimistic about the season and everyone is buzzing. It looks like it will be a positive season.”

“I like the extra games. I’m not sure I will say that come December.” “A lot of players say they would prefer to play games than extra training sessions.”

“It’s a life-changing move for me, coming further north.” “I’m looking forward to it. I will be a tough season, 46 games, but it will be an enjoyable experience.”

“Hopefully, it will improve me as a person as much as player.”

Gayle is a positive young man and seems a smashing lad.

Let’s hope he can get those goals in for us this season – that was one of the (many) weaknesses we had last term that Rafa Benitez is now trying to quickly fix for next season.

We will have a good idea in a month or two how things will be in the Championship once the league gets under way on Friday night, August 5th,  when we are at Craven Cottage.

We are hoping to do very well ………

Tags: Championship · Coaching · Dwight Gayle · Management · Newcastle News · Other News · Training Ground

46 responses so far ↓

• 1 Goldmbemba // Jul 8, 2016 at 9:49 AM

Aden Flint

we NEED to sign this guy. massive goal scoring CB. Looks like a real character too, our fans would love him

• 2 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 8, 2016 at 9:50 AM

It’s good to see a lad like this getting a fresh start after having suffered the pain and indignity of being Pardew-ed. Let’s hope he can put that behind him and lead a productive football life.

• 3 jimmysmith // Jul 8, 2016 at 9:58 AM

Gayle Hanley? Cuckoo, Cuckoo. C’mon Ed. Focus.

• 4 martoon // Jul 8, 2016 at 10:03 AM

jimmy – I’m not sure if this new player Gayle Hanley is a striker or a defender? 😀

• 5 Nufc-83 // Jul 8, 2016 at 10:16 AM

expat and jimmy: some of the managers you list are only listed by the media as interested, have they actually made a bid or come out and said Moussa is this great player. Deschamps played him to work hard defensively so if you want another Jonas then maybe Moussa is the man. Managers also get it wrong frequently even Benetiz signed some duff players but as fans we watch him week in week out and dont have to believe all of the hype. Its like the ratings in the newspaper the big name players like Gini and Moussa would recieve 7-8 most weeks when they played terribly and got slated by most people who watch the game. Apart from being a good athlete can you tell me one attribute moussa has that would allow him to play in a team of Chamions league level??

• 6 Ron Knee // Jul 8, 2016 at 10:23 AM

“Hanley due to play for #BRFC against SV Ried tomorrow. Will be interesting to see if he plays. Suggestions Rovers want £6m minimum…”

• 7 expatmag // Jul 8, 2016 at 10:24 AM

Yeah… he js a chump isnt he??????.

World cup winner, euro winner, top player and led his country to the eyro finals.

I admire your assessment of a chump.

Bye the way, considering Keegan won a hell of a lot less than Deschamps in his playing/coaching/managerial career, would you consider him a chump too?

• 8 expatmag // Jul 8, 2016 at 10:25 AM

No. I didnt think so. My advice to you is think before you type

• 9 posada // Jul 8, 2016 at 10:27 AM

NUFC 83.
    Good assessment of Sissoko on previous article.
    Which is why it will be a steal if we can get serious money for him.
    Also, look at the picture of him in Ed’s article. At these Euros he looks ten pounds lighter than he did during our last league season.
    That does not mean he was fat. I heard that when Rafa and his coaches came in they were surprised at the condition of some of the players. Several being too well developed in a muscular sense.

• 10 martoon // Jul 8, 2016 at 10:31 AM

jimmysmith // Jul 8, 2016 at 9:34 AM
    Mmmm, so Deschamps is a chump, and his performance against Germany an aberration. C’mon!!!!!!!!!……..and Rafa making him captain the result of a nasty fall I suppose. He’s a good player, accept it.

I think Jimmy was being sarcastic?

• 11 expatmag // Jul 8, 2016 at 10:31 AM

You are talking about Sissoko in one game against Germany. Deschamps has proved his ability as a coach by “cutting his cloth accordingly” to gain a result which some on here are unable to understand.

Sissoko played his role for the team and whilst he has been unfortunate enough for the majority of his NUFC career to be coached by the likes of Pardew Carver and McLaren, evidence points that world class coaches like Descgamps and Benitez can coax the “champions league” level prrformances out of him.

Its not rocket science mate

• 12 expatmag // Jul 8, 2016 at 10:33 AM

I dont think he was. Jimmy doesnt normally do sarcasm

• 13 jimmysmith // Jul 8, 2016 at 10:37 AM

Expat, could you be please take the time to read efficiently, if you are going to respond to my modest posts. It’s not the first time. I know you are enjoying life on the peninsula, but if you are one or two in, please take the time a little more time before posting.

• 14 Nufc-83 // Jul 8, 2016 at 10:40 AM

Expat tell me how Benitez will be able to give mousse this ability to pass, shoot or even think like an intelligent footballer? I am not going off game he played for France in which he was with the ball pretty bad I’m going off watching him game after game for many seasons

• 15 expatmag // Jul 8, 2016 at 10:48 AM

No need to be facetious mate. In my opinion, your assessments, for want of a better word, of qyality players and coaches, are a little naive

• 16 expatmag // Jul 8, 2016 at 10:53 AM

I saw enough in his performances under Benitez over a very short period of time to assess that the improvement in his all round game with the possible exception of his finishing, was of a high standard and beneficial to the results the team achieved particularly over that 6 game unbeaten stretch.

Surely you are not averse to giving credit where it is deserved?

• 17 jimmysmith // Jul 8, 2016 at 10:54 AM

It’s basically always just a counterpoint to the prevailing points of view I read on here Expat, presented in the interest of balance. A plausible alternative point of view. That’s it.

• 18 Mister Tuff // Jul 8, 2016 at 10:55 AM

Fight fight – get your boomerangs thrown boys.

• 19 Macas // Jul 8, 2016 at 11:00 AM

Opinions will differ but for me I will be more than glad to see the back of Sissoko. Can put the odd decent cross in from time to time and can make decent runs if there are no defenders in front of him, but overall he is nothing special. Benitez had him actually trying which made a change, but his overall quality on the ball is generally poor. Even last night he had the chance to burst past his man on the outside a few times but he bottled it. Happy to see him go and for us to bring in a winger or attacking midfielder to replace him.

• 20 Nufc-83 // Jul 8, 2016 at 11:01 AM

Expat I’m sorry but he did not show enough ability to be at a top club playing in the champ league even at the end of last season. He would do well in the championship in sure but he will be at a top club and then let’s see who correct when he ends up on the bench and his career goes down the pan.

• 21 jayphoto // Jul 8, 2016 at 11:01 AM

Personally don’t think deschamps is a world class coach. Seen enough of French football to think this. As joey barton says, he is proof that being a lucky manager is better than being a good manager sometimes! The fact is, with the 40odd players he had available for this tournament, and some of the ones that didn’t make the squad are top level, and with being the home team, anything other than winning these euros would be a failure. In every position france have a player who is top 3 in ability in the tournament yet they still haven’t dominated games how they should have. Because of injuries they should have dominated Germany last night but the game I watched, Germany had so many chances and so much of the ball but no finisher.
    Sissoko played well, not knocking him, but the thing with france is, with the players available, Sissoko should not be in the side and deschamps should be able to integrate a team that has Kante, Pogba, Matuidi, Payet, Greizzman aswell as finding a way to use the ability of Ben Arfa, Lacazette, Benzema, Martial and perhaps Coman and Gameiro. Ability wise all of these are far beyond sissoko, and with matuidi and kante in a midfield, the argument in france is you have the workrate and defensive cover in midfield for some of these players to create a more attacking line up but deschamps has not been able to make it work as he is far too moderate minded. They’ll still win the euros, but i’ll be honest, a completely injury ravaged Germany aside, who have they even played?

• 22 jayphoto // Jul 8, 2016 at 11:06 AM

That said, I am not French, so Im happy DD keeps picking sissoko. Maybe it’ll mean someone is stupid enough to pay 20m+ for him.
    If we’re all honest, from what we’ve seen week in week out, in the last 3 seasons, what would we prefer? Sissoko who only plays when the cameras are out, or Rafa with 15-20m to spend on 1 player replacement? I’ve been flabberghasted at the signing of Gamez, and to a lesser extent Sels and Ritchie. Its made me realise what a huge draw benitez and Newcastle are, even in a lower division. If we lost Wijnaldum and Sissoko, and it gave benitez another reported 46m to spend, then this is more exciting than the 2 staying for me.
    Don’t get me wrong, I’d love the 2 to stay, think they’ll walk to league if they do, and I wouldn’t want them to leave for small change, but near on 50m to replenish the side be amazing

• 23 WWSBRD // Jul 8, 2016 at 11:12 AM

Have France not been destroyed by injuries? Their back line missed the entire Euros mate and their best striker removed himself from the squad by…well being a horrible helmet. Sometimes the best squad doesnt have the best players

As for not playing anyone, they can only beat who is put in front of them which they have done

• 24 Ron Knee // Jul 8, 2016 at 11:16 AM

Benitez, apparently, sets great store by character. On that basis I don’t think Sissoko will be a Newcastle player much longer.

• 25 Ron Knee // Jul 8, 2016 at 11:21 AM

“Jesus is a Geordie – official confirmation of his signing!”

• 26 John Tudor // Jul 8, 2016 at 11:22 AM

the man is a no-body

• 27 Rafa Revolution // Jul 8, 2016 at 11:22 AM

• 28 JamesToon // Jul 8, 2016 at 11:28 AM

• 29 jayphoto // Jul 8, 2016 at 11:33 AM

Gamez huge signing! Should be nowhere near a 2nd flight side!

• 30 John Tudor // Jul 8, 2016 at 11:34 AM

thought the fixtures were out ages ago

• 31 martoon // Jul 8, 2016 at 11:38 AM

They must have sneaked Gamez in because I didn’t see one photo of him arriving on social media. Also I notice he has a 2 year contract which seems sensible for a 31 year old.

• 32 clinath@ed // Jul 8, 2016 at 11:38 AM

Nice one JT. I liked that one.

• 33 expatmag // Jul 8, 2016 at 11:39 AM

His performance against Spurs seems to have warranted their interest and they are in the CL plus Liverpool are interesred and they have a CL quality coach.

Arent Borrussia Dortmund allegedly interested too and arent they in the CL?

• 34 martoon // Jul 8, 2016 at 11:40 AM

JT – I think Sky are going to announce the first 10 televised matches. According to there is a new agreement that they have to try and give at least 5 weeks notice to help travelling fans.

• 35 jayphoto // Jul 8, 2016 at 11:40 AM

@wwsbrd – think the thing is though with Deschamps in france, he’s similar to hodgson. Very moderate and sticks to his favourites. Sissoko for example, has had many games for the national team where he has been appalling. His Newcastle performances replicated, yet Deschamps always picked him, ignoring some serious talent that was performing well.
    Similarly, he has ignored Gameiro to play Gignac. Won’t deny they are having a good tournament, but for what they have available, even with injuries, france could have an amazing side.
    In france its similar to England, they can’t understand why some players are continuously picked and others ignored. They’ve done well, but the question is could they have done even better, played even better if Deschamps had worked harder to integrate some high class players. Deschamps reminds me of Dalglish at Newcastle. We still came 2nd, but we were all dreaming of the keegan side that came 2nd.

• 36 John Tudor // Jul 8, 2016 at 11:40 AM

i think he may do a good job but i like to think british players are more up to a championship season but we will see

• 37 John Tudor // Jul 8, 2016 at 11:41 AM

is that good news or bad

• 38 Ron Knee // Jul 8, 2016 at 11:42 AM

The Lord moves in mysterious ways …

• 39 geordie157 // Jul 8, 2016 at 11:43 AM

Fantastic signing! Was heading back to his old club Malaga until Rafa came knocking.

For the first time in a long long time I’m excited for the season to start!

Being Newcastle though….you always have that thought that Ashley could mess it up again. But credit to the club we seem to finally be getting it right, fingers crossed!

Hanley and Taylor in next please.

• 40 geordie157 // Jul 8, 2016 at 11:44 AM

That’s Charlie Taylor, not Steven of course!

• 41 WWSBRD // Jul 8, 2016 at 11:46 AM

Mate they’ve been the best side at the tournament, theyve had the best players and best performances, they should win it now. If they had flopped then people may have a point in criticizing his choices but hes been proven right

Not sure how u can do better than winning it haha

• 42 Mister Tuff // Jul 8, 2016 at 11:46 AM

Tudor – welcome back – quick on the Gamez gag -very good.

• 43 martoon // Jul 8, 2016 at 11:47 AM

Ron Knee Lol 😀

Well have now changed their article on televised matches and EFL have said:
    “we have never announced a date. We’ll be confirming announcement day/time shortly”.

I’m pretty sure the EFL are telling porkies because I saw in a few articles the televised fixtures were supposed to be announced today!

• 44 jayphoto // Jul 8, 2016 at 11:48 AM

@Geordie157 – Ryan Taylor is on a free too 😉
    Charlie Taylor any good? Not seen much of Leeds, heard that Lewis Cook was meant to be amazing but has gone the the EPL and theres another lad in their midfield we looked at?
    They’ve signed Kemar Roofe, saw him in a cup game at oxford, looked like he had it all to be honest, very quick, worked like a dog, be interesting to see how he steps up. Under Monk, if that crazy Italian leaves him to it I think Leeds might be up there. Similarly I think Fulham are apparently going to have a serious financial push

• 45 Mister Tuff // Jul 8, 2016 at 11:52 AM

Gamez looks like a very good signing – signing a fullback to actually play fullback – probably on his preferred side.

• 46 jayphoto // Jul 8, 2016 at 11:52 AM

@WWSBRD – you’re right, ha its probably the german in my blood, no such thing as perfection, winning alone is not enough etc
    Just really not a fan of deschamps as a man or a manager but he does deserve credit where its due if he wins it. He’s gone against the grain/press a lot so fair play if it comes up trumps

previous post: Newcastle Reported Very Close To Double Signing