Newcastle Close To Signing Grant Hanley

If the betting odds mean anything then Newcastle are getting much closer today to signing the player who seems to be our number one center-back target – Grant Hanley of Blackburn Rovers.

Odds have been tumbling all day on Hanley signing for Newcastle and he’s been quoted from many sources as being keen to join the Magpies under Rafa Benitez.

Grant-Hanley scotland

Grant Hanley – Newcastle’s next signing?

The Chronicle are reporting the only thing holding things up is for the two clubs to agree the actual fee.

• lesh

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:00 PM

Menorca

If Jesus is pronounced Heysus, then does that now make him a Heordie?

• lesh

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:01 PM

Mr Tuff

Rafa’s made an enquiry for your granny!

• Back Door Man

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:03 PM

Jesus H Christ!!!   Lighten-up folks!!!  Mind I always thought the correct Spanish pronunciation was hey-soos and not hesus.

Those sitting in the A stream here realise when transliterated from the original Hebrew, through Ancient Greek, then Latin, we ended up with Jesus in English.  Of course the fella should be directly addressed by the use of his ‘given’ name (hey-soos) … it’s just good manners.

I’m concerned that the blog’s Humour Death Squad is out patrolling our cobbled back alleys looking to round-up those daring to crack lame jokes.  Why am I being dragged off to be waterboarded for wondering about the special powers some folks might have?

• lesh

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:04 PM

Ah well, if we’ve only got to agree a fee for Hanley……

Wasn’t somebody asking about the legality of Sissoko being tapped up with his agents discussing things with potentially interested clubs….

• lesh

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:05 PM

BDM

10/10 for your linguistic prowess

• GeordieTwo

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:06 PM

Looks like Santon is going to Sunderland. Very poor choice Davide. Harrumph….

• magpie6699

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:07 PM

Very surprised the new guy is not a keeper. I thought Jesus Saves…..

• GeordieTwo

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:07 PM

Hanley will be a decent signing if we get him. Only 24 but with quite a bit of football behind him.

• lesh

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:08 PM

BDM

The humor police are probably scratching through your waste bin right now…… They’re real hot on heretics!

• GeordieTwo

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:10 PM

You have to watch yourself on here BDM mate. We maintain and extreme level of seriosity. Personally I think this whole humour thing is completely overrated. Stick with the plain, dry facts as I do and you’ll be all right mate.

• Rafa Revolution

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:12 PM

Hanley would be an awesome signing

• GeordieTwo

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:13 PM

As Official Blog Hobbit I also oversee humour punishments. Right now I’m favouring forcing large quantities of snuff up both nostrils while drinking lager and watching old Monty Python skits. It’s a tremendous deterrent.

• Shadow_Shearer

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:16 PM

I’ve never seen Stuart findley play before, but if he was on loan at Kilmarnock, he may be ready for the championship pretty soon.

Remember dummet went to the spl, & came back a much more confident player.

• Back Door Man

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:18 PM

Rotonda @ 39 in the previous thread … my use of Manuel ISN’T a jibe, it’s a term of affection!  I’ve posted about this previously, and I quote:

“The reason I call him Manuel haven’t changed since the last time the issue was raised a month ago, and I quote:

… many here were calling him Manuel when he first came and well into the ‘last ten game period’ … yep, probably stereotyping him.

I chose to continue calling him that out an appreciation for the position he’s in, namely – the good, well-loved fella struggling against an ogre of a boss.”

So, when all around me on here quit using hypocoristic forms of branding for various players and staff I might join them in dropping nicknames and pet names.  Just focus on the meaning of the previous paragraph folks!”.

• GeordieTwo

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:20 PM

I’ve never seen Stuart Findley but I did see Alistair Findlay once….. I hope that helps Shadow mate.

• Munster Mag

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:21 PM

Don’t know much about this divisions players. Is Hanly very good guys? Or is he a joke defender like Santon?

• GeordieTwo

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:28 PM

That’s a bit harsh isn’t it Munster. I prefer the term comical defender myself. Harrumph.

• funlovingexpress

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:34 PM

Back door man Manuel isnt a term of affection at all.

It was a nickname that came from opposing fans to the bin dippers who called him a fat spanish waiter.

He’s a master at what he does and certainly not a waiter never mind a bumbling one like Manuel was in fawlty towers.

The nickname was a pi°° take. Always has been always will be.

• GeordieTwo

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:35 PM

Hanley is solid. I hope we bring him in. We’re getting the makings of a very good squad.

• GeordieTwo

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:38 PM

Rafa is a god. Always remember that. No pi$$taking allowed. He’s one god level above Zeus.

• defenders needed

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:43 PM

Geordietwo that God comment is fantastic really had me sat laughing reading it

• Mister Tuff

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:47 PM

The Blog Humour Death Squad have not turned up today so far – the usual suspects – they know who they are.
    They like their own humour but nobody elses’. – when I think about it they also hate other opinions.

• GeordieTwo

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:48 PM

Ta defenders mate.

• jib follower

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:53 PM

Where’s the poo. PAH man

• GeordieTwo

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:56 PM

I don’t think Santon was half the LB Enrique was. Discuss.

• chubtree

Jul 8, 2016 at 6:01 PM

Totally agree about Jose defensively we’ve never had a left back better than Enrique in the premier league. Psychos was past it and bez like santon was better going the other way.