The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Report – Newcastle In Shock Move To Sign Arsenal Defender

6:20 pm, Friday, July 8th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 56 Comments

The Chronicle is reporting tonight that Newcastle United are very close to a deal to sign Arsenal’s versatile young defender Isaac Hayden – who can play at center-back, right-back or in defensive midfield.

We were linked with Isaac a few weeks ago and at that time it looked like it would be a season-long loan deal, but it’s not clear if this will be a permanent transfer or a loan deal if indeed Newcastle do sign him.

isaac hayden

Isaac Hayden – 21 year-old Arsenal utility defender

The Chelmsford-born player fits the type of player Rafa is looking for this summer, as he played well on loan at Hull City last term.

Hayden’s contract with Arsenal runs out in the summer of next year and the Chronicle is reporting tonight that Newcastle have pipped Hull to his signature – so it looks like if a deal has not been completed it’s very close to being finalized.

But we find it hard to believe that Arsene Wenger would let such a promising young player leave Arsenal permanently at this point, but maybe Benitez can negotiate a loan deal with an option to buy.

We’d prefer a permanent transfer now.

While on loan at Hull City last term he made 24 appearances with a single goal for the Tigers – and he’s the type of player Benitez could turn into an excellent player for Newcastle.

We’d prefer that rather than turning the lad into an excellent player for Arsenal by having him on loan for a season.

However, we’re sure a lot of savvy managers like Wenger would be only too willing to have Rafa Benitez coach one of their promising young stars for a year in the Championship.

Issac is a strong-looking player who stands just short of 6ft 2ins and has represented England at U-16, U-17, U-18, U-19 and U-20 levels – with 19 youth caps in total.

If this report is accurate in the Chronicle he could be a surprise signing for Newcastle.

The Magpies apparently still want to sign center-back Glenn Hanley, who is currently part of a training camp in Austria with Blackburn Rovers.

What do you think?

Tags: Championship · Newcastle News · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

56 responses so far ↓

• 1 The one and Ayoze 17 // Jul 8, 2016 at 6:28 PM

Will be a good addition. Maybe Tiotes on his way? Or maybe for cover if it’s a loan deal. The same article also says that Hanley is in Austria with Blackburn so not sure how close we are to signing him.

• 2 GeordieTwo // Jul 8, 2016 at 6:31 PM

Interesting stuff. I would say Dummett is improving NUFCPaul mate. I’m not sure he has the pace to be a top LB but good cover at CB, especially with Rafa to bring him on. Haidara has been so knackered with injuries it’s hard to assess him. I’ll wait and see how he does this coming season.

• 3 GeordieTwo // Jul 8, 2016 at 6:32 PM

I wouldn’t want to part with Tiote yet. I hope we keep him until we’re back in the Prem.

• 4 hibbitt // Jul 8, 2016 at 6:38 PM

it Tiote go’s i would like to see Mbemba take his role and a new CB Hanley or Hayden go in the back four we need that bit of experience at the back we still need a LB

• 5 GeordieTwo // Jul 8, 2016 at 6:38 PM

For me, we’re signing much better players already under Rafa. We should have been doing this years ago with a proper manager instead of the dodgy head coach monkey business..

• 6 The one and Ayoze 17 // Jul 8, 2016 at 6:39 PM

Out of all of our average midfielders he’s the one I’d like to keep the most aswell, just reading between the lines, Hayden’s natural position is apparently DM so if it’s a permanent deal I suspect Tiote might be off as I doubt either of them will want to be back up. Might just be a loan though for added cover.

• 7 GeordieTwo // Jul 8, 2016 at 6:40 PM

For me Hayden might go into the reserves at first. He seems to have lost his way a bit over the last couple of seasons.

• 8 The one and Ayoze 17 // Jul 8, 2016 at 6:43 PM

I haven’t seen much of him but heard he’s highly rated and hull where back in for him for another loan spell, so I’m not sure he’d give up first team football to come and sit in our reserves. You never know though, money talks.

• 9 The one and Ayoze 17 // Jul 8, 2016 at 6:45 PM

Plus we’ve got the Rafa factor.

• 10 Back Door Man // Jul 8, 2016 at 6:54 PM

Funlovingexpress @ 18 previous thread – but Manuel is MY term of affection.

So, not only do we have  Humour Death Squad abroad, but the Righteous Speech Brigade are on ‘mopping-up duty’ in their wake.  Whatever next?  The Thought Police!

• 11 WWSBRD // Jul 8, 2016 at 6:58 PM

Haha Santon doesn’t fancy the mackem move after all bless him

Wenger may not actually care about the youth development at Arsenal right now tbf it’s unlikely he will be there for more than this coming season so we might have a shot getting this lad long term who knows

Him and Hanley could be fine business, touch young overall at CB but plenty of experience I suppose

• 12 Rotonda heights // Jul 8, 2016 at 7:02 PM

it’s just boring mate and it’s what other fans call him when they’re putting him down.

• 13 Belfast // Jul 8, 2016 at 7:03 PM

Santon said no thanks! ?

• 14 Belfast // Jul 8, 2016 at 7:03 PM

• 15 GeordieTwo // Jul 8, 2016 at 7:07 PM

You could be right Ayoze mate. I think it depends which of the MF we part with. I think De Jong will go but I would hand on to Tiote for this coming season. We can’t part with Gru as his wage is ridiculous so he’ll have to play unless he completely fails to do the job under Rafa. It’s nice to have options though.

• 16 GeordieTwo // Jul 8, 2016 at 7:07 PM

Should read I would hang on to Tiote for this season. I think Rafa will try to.

• 17 JAMSHA // Jul 8, 2016 at 7:08 PM

Newcastle United have handed promising
    young goalkeeper Otto Huuhtanen a one-
    week trail.

• 18 SPRINGY // Jul 8, 2016 at 7:08 PM

where did you hear that about santon mate?

• 19 GeordieTwo // Jul 8, 2016 at 7:10 PM

Santon has more sense than to go to Sunderland 😆

• 20 Belfast // Jul 8, 2016 at 7:10 PM

It’s on sky sports transfer centre. Sunderland released a statement about it.

• 21 WWSBRD // Jul 8, 2016 at 7:10 PM

Mackem home page and sky sports, deal is dead mate (for now at least)

• 22 GeordieTwo // Jul 8, 2016 at 7:12 PM

I would have preferred Samu Volotenen over Otto Huutanen. Harrumph.

• 23 GeordieTwo // Jul 8, 2016 at 7:14 PM

Otto is only 16. Must be very decent prospect?

• 24 SPRINGY // Jul 8, 2016 at 7:14 PM

haha…cheers lads…..been out most of the day so only heard little snippets of info on deals,glad about gamez,no nowt about the youngins and not heard anything about hanley and the arsenal kid for a while now

• 25 WWSBRD // Jul 8, 2016 at 7:15 PM

This Hayden lad a CB or a CDM?

• 26 GeordieTwo // Jul 8, 2016 at 7:16 PM

He can play either WWSBRD mate. I think he prefers the midfield.

• 27 WWSBRD // Jul 8, 2016 at 7:18 PM

No bother mate

A bit like Dier then? Similar style do u know? My knowledge on him is nil (thought he was a different player if am honest no am scrambling to recall ever seeing him)

• 28 GeordieTwo // Jul 8, 2016 at 7:23 PM

There’s not much info on him WWSBRD mate. Can play RB. Valued at 500K euros according to transfer markt. Played for England at U16 through U21 level.

• 29 GeordieTwo // Jul 8, 2016 at 7:26 PM

Apparently Hayden also likes cheese, pirate movies, and Morris dancing in the moonlight. That’s about all I can find on him……

• 30 WWSBRD // Jul 8, 2016 at 7:28 PM

Ah so it’s not just me then, I assumed he was some wonder lad I’d missed. Well let’s hope for a surprise package if we get him

Seems to of played plenty for Hull which must be a good thing, they did well last season after all

• 31 lesh // Jul 8, 2016 at 7:28 PM

I think the story about Hayden’s all for Blackburn’s consumption, something for them to think about when negotiating

• 32 WWSBRD // Jul 8, 2016 at 7:28 PM

Haha who doesn’t like Morris dancing in the moonlight tbf

• 33 SPRINGY // Jul 8, 2016 at 7:30 PM

ive read that the hayden lad prefers def mid but can play cb and right back,but thats just what ive read…so could be utter bollicks for all i know!lol

• 34 SPRINGY // Jul 8, 2016 at 7:30 PM

wonder if santons agent is tapping up the toon and boro while he’s in the area??

• 35 lesh // Jul 8, 2016 at 7:31 PM

It’ll be Santon’s missus’s put the block on his move to Blunderland. She’s a Gateshead lass and probably a toon leaning girl.

• 36 GeordieTwo // Jul 8, 2016 at 7:32 PM

If he’s very good Arsenal will probably only loan him to us. I think we still have bigger fish to fry yet. A large halibut possibly…..

• 37 GeordieTwo // Jul 8, 2016 at 7:33 PM

So, you’re saying you don’t like cheese or pirate movies then WWSBRD mate?

• 38 SPRINGY // Jul 8, 2016 at 7:34 PM

with regards to santon… the mackems stopped the kone deal over how much they wanted to pay….so would’nt be surprised if they go back in with an extra fiver and a bag of cheesey chips to try and seal the deal.

• 39 The one and Ayoze 17 // Jul 8, 2016 at 7:34 PM

Geordie two – I think a lot will depend on who goes, although Rafa does like to play with 2 CDM so maybe it will be between Hayden, Tiote and colback fighting for 2 spots and shelvey, de Jong and Perez fighting for the place ahead of them. (I expect wijnaldum and sissoko to both leave) which would be a decent enough midfield for the season.

• 40 Laurent Robert 32 // Jul 8, 2016 at 7:36 PM

Well done, Santon. If he has definitely turned them down?

• 41 GeordieTwo // Jul 8, 2016 at 7:41 PM

But what about Gru (aka Shelvey) Ayoze mate? Where do you think he fits in? Harrumph…..

• 42 Jail for Ashley // Jul 8, 2016 at 7:46 PM

I’ve got no problems with loanees while still a Championship club. Patrick Van Arnolt done very well and I’d have him back if the mackems are getting shot of him.

• 43 Nufc-AT // Jul 8, 2016 at 7:47 PM

Hi there,

Im new to this commenting thing but have been coming on this site for the last 6 years!
    I currently work at thrifty car and van rental Newcastle and my drivers are delivering a car for Perez tomorrow before he fly’s to ireland, he has the car from us for a minimum of 3 months surely that means we know he is staying at the toon??

• 44 WWSBRD // Jul 8, 2016 at 7:47 PM

Am sure she of had a day but apparently it was a relegation wage clause that stopped it but who knows haha

I like cheddar but not keen on pirate movies I admit

• 45 Belfast // Jul 8, 2016 at 7:49 PM

Well the mackems are saying they couldn’t come to an agreement with Inter, but I think a fee was already agreed so looks like he turned them down to me.

• 46 Jib // Jul 8, 2016 at 7:53 PM

Jail for Ashley // I’ve got no problems with loanees

Phew that’s a relief !

I’ll text Rafa that’ll be a weight off his shoulders

• 47 SPRINGY // Jul 8, 2016 at 7:54 PM

looks like a face saving statement from the mackems…does sound like he’s blew them oot the water….for now anyway.

• 48 firebug666 // Jul 8, 2016 at 8:03 PM

I wonder if Jesus will be playing on the left with Janmaat on the right, or if he will play RB with Janmaat moved up to right wing?

• 49 welshgeordie9 // Jul 8, 2016 at 8:43 PM

Why do everyone assume janmaat is leaving because we’ve signed Gamez, we need players fighting for every position.

• 50 FollowFollow // Jul 8, 2016 at 9:06 PM

Welsh, what’s led you to believe that Janmaat might show some fight for his position?

• 51 Online Guy // Jul 8, 2016 at 9:25 PM

I found it hard to watch Newcastle last season, and not for the obvious reasons.

It was the number of players with Big Arses . I was even going to propose to the Club that they implement an Arse Tax,,it was all getting a bit to much for me ..Anita’s Arse was terrible could stand a pint on it .

Anyway I met him and had a natter in Waitrose, Ponteland, on Tuesday ..and you know what ?, his arse isn’t all that bad when you get up close to it ..So I’m reviewing the Situation , I’m watching who we bring in Has anyone seen Grant Hanley’s Arse ? Wassit like ? ,

• 52 Our Toon // Jul 8, 2016 at 9:34 PM

I have 2 issues with Janmaat on the RW, first issue is the lad is a bottler, has no fight in him whatsoever, mentally weak, Southampton game proved this as did Swansea game.

2nd issue I have with him is his lack of ability to cross the ball, overhit or he finds the keeper with those rubbish loopy crosses, he must practice crossing it straight to the keeper because he rarely finds anyone.

I think Richie will be on the right cutting in, Janmaat is one player I won’t lose any sleep over

• 53 welshgeordie9 // Jul 8, 2016 at 9:35 PM

Online Guy

Why are you looking at men’s arses.

Ha ha ha

• 54 welshgeordie9 // Jul 8, 2016 at 9:40 PM

I was just thinking that as Benitez is here and he’s done well in the window then he might just stay and fight like every player should and besides for all we know Benitez might play Gamez as a left back.

• 55 lochinvar // Jul 8, 2016 at 9:45 PM

Just curious but why did Wales have to play their Euro semi-final in Navy and not their Red strip. Was it because that would have scared Ronaldo too much ? Hardly because it classed with the Portugese Green strip.
    Or was it just FIFA being petty ?
    Any ideas ?

• 56 ShirebrookToon // Jul 8, 2016 at 9:51 PM

Its because they were both playing away from home lol

previous post: Photos – Newcastle’s Impressive New Home Strip