The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Reported Very Close To Double Signing

9:06 am, Friday, July 8th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 14 Comments

We expected Atletico Madrid full-back Jesus Gamez to have signed for Newcastle yesterday, but that didn’t happen.

But there’s news in the Shields Gazette today that Newcastle are very close to a double signing and it seems that Blackburn center-back Grant Hanley could well be the other signing.

At the moment Grant Hanley is only said to be a target but it’s clear that Rafa Benitez would like both players on the plane to Ireland tomorrow – if at all possible.

jesus gamez

Jesus Gamez – expected to sign yesterday

Benitez is keen to bring in a center-back after the departures of Fabricio Coloccini and Steven Taylor in the summer and Mike Williamson last January.

There are also other center-backs who Newcastle have enquired about this summer and they include Arsenal’s Isaac Hayden and Queens Park Rangers’ Steven Caulker.

We were also linked with Bristol City’s Aden Flint yesterday, so there could still be  a surprise about which center-back Rafa brings in.

Apparently there has been no formal bid yet – as of yesterday – for Blackburn’s Grant Hanley, who is valued at around  £5M.

Grant seems happy at Blackburn as he had this to say recently about the only club he has ever played for at the senior level:

“I love this club and that’s not going to change.”

“I’ve been here since I was a young boy and every day I come in and work as hard as I possibly can, and every time I go on that pitch I fight for this club and give everything I’ve got.”

“That’ll never change. Unless I’m told otherwise, I’ll continue to give 110% for this club.”

Grant has played 200 times with 9 goals for Blackburn Rovers since joining them as a 16 year-old from Rangers in 2008.

Hanley made his debut for the club in 2010 as an 18 year-old against West Ham United.

When Scott Dann left for Crystal Palace in January 2014, Hanley was appointed captain of the club.

The Sun is reporting today that Grant is very keen to join Rafa Benitez at Newcastle, but that new Rovers boss Owen Coyle doesn’t want to lose his captain, which is understandable.

14 responses so far ↓

• 1 magscar // Jul 8, 2016 at 9:19 AM

Repost

Whilst club may have sold players a line the majority of them (and their agents) are solely after one thing ( no make it 2 and add personal glory). No problem with that and nor should we worry about them being apparently misled. If another club comes in at the right valuation then they are likely to get their wish but has any club done so?

Only Pl clubs being linked are Spurs and Liverpool – one is in CL for first time in a while other isn’t again. Normal service is likely to resume this season with Manchester clubs Arsenal and Chelsea as front runners for top 4 and none seem interested in Gini or Sissoko.

If Our Toon is correct and Jordon Ibe has been sold for £15M and Watford value Deeney at £25M then the club wanting over £20M for 2 players who see themselves as CL material is not overpricing them.

Both players struggled in what was a very difficult season and cannot escape the blame for their part in what happened. Attitude and a winning mentality when playing lower rated sides is very important to the top clubs – after all that is why they are top and are regularly playing clubs rated lower than them.

If Rafa believes he can get their big heads around playing in Championship and offers commensurate with his valuation are not forthcoming then they will stay. He is unlikely to want saga to drag on into new season and cause disruption to his preparations so I would expect things to happen this month if one or other is to go.

• 2 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 8, 2016 at 9:20 AM

Hanley is the kind of defender we need hes not going to try to stroll through midfield with the ball or anything fancy like that! He also wont mind getting his shirt dirty or getting whacked with a tackle or a ball to block shots!!

What he will do is bleed for the cause , shout at anyone not pulling their weight , dominate in the air and bully defenders all game ! Exactly what Rafa likes in a centre back!

• 3 magscar // Jul 8, 2016 at 9:24 AM

One thing that hasn’t changed about the club under Rafa and that is they do not do their deals through the Press.

Once again we are seeing deals from left field and not the more obvious type of Press putting 2 and 2 together in absence of any hard info.

• 4 Nufc-83 // Jul 8, 2016 at 9:26 AM

How can people who watch football actually say Moussa is good enough for a top Premiership club let alone a top champ league club. He has no technique at all and is purely an athlete last night he only played ok because he worked so hard protecting the defence with Germany pressurising the French so much. On the ball he can’t pass, shoot, cross, no vision and has not got a footballing brain!! Add the fact that in club football he does not put half of the effort in he did last night!!

I do believe he will go to a top club because people hype players (such as the media and other fans etc) but he will be a major fail and I will laugh very hard.

• 5 SuperShearer // Jul 8, 2016 at 9:28 AM

Prior to Rafa: Press release rumour about potential signing, two months later we’re still in negotiators before finally signing a player.

Under Rafa: Hear rumours of a signing, three days later the player is holding a Toon shirt.

Makes you wonder what the club were doing before!

• 6 expatmag // Jul 8, 2016 at 9:30 AM

NUFC83

Unfortunately for you in your analysis of Sissoko, I would prefer to agree with the assessment of professionals like Deschamps Benitez Kloop and the Spurs lad ahead of your opinion of the player

• 7 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 8, 2016 at 9:30 AM

Lee Charnley Bunga Party – would he bully our defenders, or the opposition defenders?

• 8 jimmysmith // Jul 8, 2016 at 9:34 AM

Mmmm, so Deschamps is a chump, and his performance against Germany an aberration. C’mon!!!!!!!!!……..and Rafa making him captain the result of a nasty fall I suppose. He’s a good player, accept it.

• 9 toontaff2 // Jul 8, 2016 at 9:35 AM

I was expecting Jesus and even this site to work quickly but will just settle for Wales reaching the semi-finals along with getting a season ticket in the Gallowgate and optimism finally after years of gloom! I gave up my seat in the front of the East Stand/Leazes right next to the corner flag, 4 years ago due to work commitments and the abject misery! Wor Lass cannot stand me swearing at the radio Newcastle commentary or the tv any more, so bought me the season ticket! The Toon needs a good Welsh singer in the crowd! I’ll settle for a good season, cos this site just never works well on my internet, so that’s the excuse for any typos! Especiallytroublesome with the spacebar!

• 10 Belfast // Jul 8, 2016 at 9:36 AM

Imagine getting Grant Hanley’s elbow in yer face 🙂

• 11 toontaff2 // Jul 8, 2016 at 9:37 AM

And Deaan Saunders has given me an idea for getting a parking ticket waived by North Tyneside council –

• 12 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 8, 2016 at 9:41 AM

SuperShearer@5 – previously our transfer dealings were protracted because of the CE/CP factor. It takes a lot of careful negotiation to ensure that goes smoothly, and it’s not without risk.

• 13 Grae_NZ // Jul 8, 2016 at 2:02 PM

I’ve a pic of a new player coining on the Ncle flight. How do I post it?

• 14 Moonraker15 // Jul 8, 2016 at 2:41 PM

Sissoko is not a world class player and always looks inferior to the likes of Payet, Pogba, Griesman in the French team. However if he stays at the Toon he will tear the championship apart if, and it’s a big if, he applies himself. Rafa will want him to stay but his head will have been permanently turned by the French stars! Therefore if we get 25 mil for him I’m happy. Wijnaldum on the other hand I think will score hat fulls next season if he stays. Again, if we get 25 mil I’d take it but we have to replace at least one of them if the both leave and I’m sure Rafa has someone in mind! In Rafa we trust ! Howay the Lads we’re on the way up !

previous post: To Play For A Legend Is A Dream Come True For Me