The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

It’s Good News Bad News For Newcastle Today

8:23 am, Monday, July 11th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 28 Comments

It’s good news bad news this morning for Newcastle, with the club ready to announce our 5th signing of the summer – an impressive £2.5M deal for Arsenal’s 21 year-old defender Isaac Hayden on a five years deal.

But our other latest target, Grant Hanley of Blackburn, is not proving so easy and the Tyneside club are finding it difficult to agree a fee with Blackburn Rivers for the 24 year-old Scottish International center-back, who has both significant Championship experience and great leadership skills.

isaac hayden

21 year-old Isaac Hayden to be announced imminently

Issac Hayden has passed his medical and once the lad announced as a Newcastle player – hopefully this morning – he will jet off to join the squad in County Kildaire in Ireland at their training camp.

Hayden seems like another very good signing and where Rafa Benitez will play him is a good question.

Maybe it’s in defensive midfield and that would open the way for Cheick Tiote to leave the club and possibly follow Papiss Cisse to China.

Local reports suggest he has been signed by Rafa as a defensive midfielder; Isaac can also play at center-back and at right-back.

We have reportedly had two bids rejected by Blackburn of £3.5M and £4.5M for their captain Grant Hanley, but the two clubs are still said to be negotiating on a potential deal.

This is what Blackburn manager Owen Coyle has said about his player over the weekend:

“I don’t want to be selling Grant Hanley,” “I’ll say that openly.

“But obviously we can’t stop clubs from admiring our players. It’s the same with me. I admire players at other clubs and you go after them.”

“But what I would also say is about Grant Hanley’s valuation as a player. I hold him in very high esteem. I think he is a very, very good player.”

“And I think it’s fair to say, in my own opinion, they are nowhere near the valuation of Grant Hanley. I don’t want to lose him.”

“It’s nothing to do with him expressing a desire (to join Newcastle), because when all is said and done Grant Hanley is a player who is under contract at Blackburn Rovers.”

“I know the way the world works when agents get to work and such forth.” “But all I would say is Grant Hanley’s our captain and we don’t want to lose him.”

“I totally understand why Newcastle covet him, but, as I said before, and I’ll repeat it, in my opinion they are nowhere near the valuation which I consider Grant Hanley to be.”

That’s simply Owen Coyle trying to get as much as he can for one of his best players, whom he doesn’t want to lose.

But we wonder how short Newcastle are if we did bid £4.5M – it cannot be that much surely?

Some reports suggest Blackburn want £6M for the player.

28 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jib // Jul 11, 2016 at 8:27 AM

The lads trained all day yesterday at Carton House Maynooth Co Kildare
    You can just make out the No 9 on Dwight Gayle’s shorts behind the letter “t” of “getty”

• 2 Jib // Jul 11, 2016 at 8:30 AM

Shelvey’s lost weight

• 3 Jib // Jul 11, 2016 at 8:32 AM

Thauvin still very much involved

• 4 Jib // Jul 11, 2016 at 8:33 AM

Could this be our final 3 goalies

• 5 Jib // Jul 11, 2016 at 8:36 AM

It’s a long time since Goofy looked so happy
    Could this be the famous Rafa effect ?

• 6 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 11, 2016 at 8:37 AM

Theres a report out there that Blackburn want 6M for Hanley

• 7 Jib // Jul 11, 2016 at 8:39 AM

Proper ice baths !
    Whatever next !
    Have the Irish not heard of the famous Geordie wheelie bin baths ?

• 8 G // Jul 11, 2016 at 8:39 AM

@6, at £6M I would bite, given the inflated prices of British players I would go maybe as far as £7M, but no more.

• 9 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 11, 2016 at 8:41 AM

G

Yeah its not too rediculous for a 24 yo these days. Theoretically he has plenty of milage in his career.

• 10 G // Jul 11, 2016 at 8:42 AM

@9, agreed, but from what I have seen of him, I can’t see him dislodging Mbemba / Lascelles. He would add competition and cover, however, it’s a long season, and if we can get him and he forces himself into the first choice CB pair, then I will be happy.

• 11 EllaGuru // Jul 11, 2016 at 8:43 AM

Have any of our blog spies done their homework on this Hanley fella?
    What kind of a CB is he? Has he got any pace? Decent in the air? Seems he is a leader as he is captain at Blackburn. How about when the ball is at his feet?

• 12 G // Jul 11, 2016 at 8:44 AM

@11, he looks fairly solid, no nonsense, almost old fashioned centre half type, however, I’ve only seen him in 3 or 4 matches. He didn’t look bad, however, he didn’t exactly look spectacular either, did nothing wrong when I have seen him mind.

• 13 Jib // Jul 11, 2016 at 8:47 AM

Owen Coyle is adamant Grant Hanley is staying.

I think he is trying to get NUFC to join Swansea and Celtic in chasing Shane Duffy.

The deflection won’t work Owen !

If Rafa wants him – he’ll get him !!!

• 14 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 11, 2016 at 8:48 AM

Why don’t they invent an app similar to.this new pokemon thing, but for players instead. Imagine loads of managers breaking into Barcas changingrooms, all trying to catch a “Suarez” at the same time!

• 15 posada // Jul 11, 2016 at 8:54 AM

I have not watched Hayden to be honest.
    Have heard it said he is not very quick?
    Not sure about that. After watching Collo for a few years my preference is for pace at the back.
    Having said that John Terry was not very pacey so I suppose it isnt everything.
    Good thing is I am confident Raffa will have that all worked out.

• 16 EllaGuru // Jul 11, 2016 at 9:09 AM

We have really struggled for a number of seasons with pace in the centre of defence. I know Mbemba and Lascelles are not the slowest, however I just wonder where Hayden will fit in all of this. Back-up?

• 17 JDdubai // Jul 11, 2016 at 9:12 AM

After the way we finished the season I cant believe Rafa wont start with Mbemba and Lascelles as first choice. Potentially they have everything you want from your CB pairing, plus youth as well.

Hanley should start the season on the bench but knowing our injury record he will be needed by autumn.

would still go for Lascelles as captain in the first game and take it from there.

Happy for sissoko and wijnaldum to leave as long as both go for 20+ ; think we would be 4 players in to replace them so the squad will be stronger.

Wish we would risk bids for Lee Cook, Dominic Iorfa or other young english guys, value will only go upwards on them and now is the time to strike. missed out on Alli, byram and demarai Gray, wouldnt want to miss out on many more.

Would be interesting to see if we could sneak Andre Gray away from Burnley, proven at this level and potential for PL too. Think it would be tough ho.

• 18 richyg01 // Jul 11, 2016 at 9:21 AM

Either Gayle is our new number 9 OR, NUFC being the way they have been in the past, it just so happens that Dwight is the same size as Papis, so they are recycling his old training gear!

• 19 EllaGuru // Jul 11, 2016 at 9:22 AM

I would like to see a sneaky bid for Jeff Hendrick of Derby. He has Championship experience, is comfortable on the ball, has age on his side (24) and I believe will be able to make the step up to Premier League.
    He will be by no means a world beater at Premier League level, but definitely a more than adequate squad player, who can do a job for us right away.

• 20 Jail for Ashley // Jul 11, 2016 at 9:27 AM

JDdubai.
    I think the majority of the blog have got sentimental over Lascelles show of passion at the end of the season, just because we like him it doesn’t mean that there aren’t better CB’soon out there with the relevant qualifications Rafa is looking for ie Championship experience and able to hold their own in the PL. Hopefully we’ll eventually see a long term partnership between them but as for now we need the best that is realistically possible.

• 21 martoon // Jul 11, 2016 at 9:27 AM

Like others I haven’t seen Hanley play but from reports I would guess that Rafa is thinking that Mbemba & Lascelles are little bit lightweight for the Championship. With Hanley it would add power, strength and ability in the air to the defence which is probably needed against a big, strong, bustling type Centre Forward.

• 22 Jail for Ashley // Jul 11, 2016 at 9:29 AM

CB’s

• 23 lesh // Jul 11, 2016 at 9:36 AM

Blackburn are as aware as most that we’re expecting big money for Sissoko and Wihnaldum and they’re looking to take advantage of that by demanding big money for Hanley. We can expect to see more of that in future negotiations.

• 24 lesh // Jul 11, 2016 at 9:38 AM

Offering low ball figures is no doubt Charnley reverting to type while Rafa’s in Ireland.

• 25 nut meg // Jul 11, 2016 at 9:45 AM

Rafa likes to keep his players fresh for the full season so expect a lot of rotation. Plenty of game time for most of the players I would imagine with playing twice a week a lot of the time and a long season ahead.I think it’s been mentioned that he basically more or less wants 2 teams.Trust him to build the squad to get the job done.

• 26 Jib // Jul 11, 2016 at 9:52 AM

The defenders that Rafa inherited , has bought , and is looking at , tells me he has defo been picking his old mate Aitor Karanka’s brains.

Last season Boro played at one time or another at the back-Daniel Ayala – George Friend – Jonathan Woodgate – Ben Gibson – Adam Reach – Dael Fry – James Husband – Adam Jackson.

Nine players in 3 different formations.

You really have to mix it up in the Championship

There is no way that Rafa would have let big Mike Williamson go down the road.
    I bet those responsible for that sale got their ears singed

• 27 Rotonda heights // Jul 11, 2016 at 10:02 AM

8 even

• 28 ArtyH // Jul 11, 2016 at 10:43 AM

With the advent of the big money now flooding the P.L I believe Rafa has a very strong hand in the dealing with players who want to leave. Rafa has said he does not need to sell nor does he need to, so he should slap a £30m+ price tag on both the star want away players and see if anyone bites. They would both be reasonably useful this coming season and were partly responsible for our current fall from grace, so should be given the chance to rectify their failings, should Rafa decide to keep them.

previous post: Newcastle Have Yet To Spend Any Money This Summer