Is This Striker The Replacement For Papiss Cisse?

Now that Papiss Cisse has left Newcastle for China, there are reports that Newcastle will be signing another striker to replace the 31 year-old Senegal International.

Reports yesterday had Newcastle interested in 35 year-old Stoke striker Peter Crouch and that seemed a surprising development.

patrick-bamford-crystal-palace-arsenal-premier-league_3342303

Patrick Bamford on loan at Crystal Palace last season

But maybe a younger striker Rafa may be interested in is Chelsea’s Patrick Bamford, who is available for around £10M and that’s not cheap for an untried player who turns 23 in September.

We have already been linked with this striker earlier in the summer.

Patrick Bamford won the Championship Player of the Year award two seasons ago when he scored 19 goals in 43 total appearances for Middlesbrough.

That was one of the reasons the north-east club reached the playoff final last year, but lost 2-0 to Norwich City.

But last season Patrick didn’t fare too well at all in two loan spells at two Premier clubs – Crystal Palace and Norwich City – and he played only 10 times in total and didn’t score a goal.

So we expect Rafa has watched videos on Patrick over the summer and decided whether the 6ft 1ins tall striker is one for the future at Newcastle United.

A majority of Newcastle fans don’t want to see Peter Crouch signed.

Would Peter Crouch Be A Good Signing For Newcastle?

Loading ... Loading ...

Let us know what you think of Patrick Bamford as a striker signing for Newcastle.

Would Patrick Bamford Be A Good Signing For £10M?

Loading ... Loading ...

• Munster Mag

Jul 13, 2016 at 10:34 AM

Lil, I have been an ardent critic of Sissoko here, labelling him a fraud on this site a long time ago, early in his career. I have never felt the need to change that stance. I think our valuation at 35mill is laughable, given that he cant pass consistently, cross consistently, or tackle. I would take 25mill all day long and get him out of town asap.

• Munster Mag

Jul 13, 2016 at 10:39 AM

WWSBRD I don’t know why you were so surprised at my comments. I don’t think Sissoko is worth 35mill because of his many flaws and attitude issues. He may blossom at a top club, but I think top clubs in the champs league need more than hard runners better suited to the athletics track. Jib, what a centre or winger Sissoko wud be in rugby! Seriously, I would take 25 million for him, and get his miserable sulky face off the training pitch. BTW , he doesn’t always play well for Rafa, but there again Rafa bizarrely played him on the left when he arrived. it might be a case of selling him and Gini but not spending the proceeds . Get out of this league and then spend it. Either way I think we need about 4 new players.

• martoon

Jul 13, 2016 at 10:39 AM

The makems could be in the brown stuff!

• lesh

Jul 13, 2016 at 10:39 AM

Munster

You may think £35m too much for Sissoko but the market’ll dictate his worth. There’s no fee been put on his head and if Real Madrid are interested, that can only drive his fee up

• lesh

Jul 13, 2016 at 10:41 AM

Martoon

The Mackems could always get McLaren in to replace Allardyce.

• martoon

Jul 13, 2016 at 10:42 AM

lesh @5 – Sounds like a plan 🙂

• Jib

Jul 13, 2016 at 10:43 AM

Sylvain Marveaux who NUFC released last month has got a contract with Ligue1 side Lorient

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jul 13, 2016 at 10:43 AM

Martoon/Lesh

There was a rumour yesterday that McWally WOULD be the replacement for Hippo-heed. I may die of laughter it were actually to happen

• Yo-yo

Jul 13, 2016 at 10:45 AM

If the answer is Allardyce then what the hell questions are the FA asking ?
    It’s not like England are relegation candidates.

• hibbitt

Jul 13, 2016 at 10:45 AM

Munster Mag

as you well know the asking price will not be the selling price
    we have to start high so there’s room for maneuver
    exactly the same as blackburn are doing to us
    i expect both deals to drag on but go through in the end
    with sissoko going to ??????

• martoon

Jul 13, 2016 at 10:55 AM

YCMIU @8- If there is any truth in it I really can’t see the fans accepting McClaren – they saw what happened just up the road from them and arguably with a better squad than theirs!

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jul 13, 2016 at 11:01 AM

Martoon

Yeah, Its unlikely to be true. I cant evem understand why the FA want Allardyce. He is a step backwards from Hodgeson. Even “he who shall not be named from pystal cralace” would be better then Sir Hoofy of Longballshire.

• WLtoon

Jul 13, 2016 at 11:05 AM

I would be peeved if we got either of these two strikers on our books. bamford especially, he proved last season that he is not up to premier lge standard, and lets face it, if we are expecting to go straight back up, we are,nt going to pay 10m for someone who may cut it for one season in the fizzy pop lge.
    Crouch may be ok as a stop gap and experience, but i doubt he would be very effective.

• martoon

Jul 13, 2016 at 11:08 AM

YCMIU – I agree I think Big Sam would be a backward step. I think the FA are looking at teams like Iceland who are well organised and hard to beat and yes Sam could make England like that BUT surely we expect more than that from an England team.

• Mister Tuff

Jul 13, 2016 at 11:10 AM

Clearly Wally Brolly has been applying for jobs – Sunderland would be nice and handy for him.
    Quite a few on here were shouting from the rooftops that Wally would be our saviour -really giving it large about him. Wally this Wally that -Wally knows best.
    The same people are now saying exactly the same about Rafa -just the name has been changed.
    (Have to say at this point to stop those with poisonous pens – Rafa is the man).
    Talk about changing horses mid race – some folk talk a load of rubbish and try to portray themselves as knowing all things about the club.

• lesh

Jul 13, 2016 at 11:12 AM

Buenas deas Jib

What would we do without your non-English links? Go through life unchallenged I suppose!

• Shadow_Shearer

Jul 13, 2016 at 11:14 AM

We only got 5 million for Cisse. I can’t see us replacing him with a 10 million pound striker. We already got our big money signings in gayle & Ritchie. The rest have been smaller deals.

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jul 13, 2016 at 11:19 AM

Dont think many were massively thrilled when McWally was appointed (ok maybe one or two), but at the same time, i dont think many could have predicted the level of disaster he would cause. I always like to give a guy a chance, as others do. Maybe we should have made an exception in this case,although as i said, no one could have predicted what happened.

• martoon

Jul 13, 2016 at 11:24 AM

Tuff @16 – I can only speak for myself – McClaren certainly was not my first choice but I was prepared to give him a chance but I’d had enough by Christmas. The only poster shouting from the rooftops that I remember was our friend in Norway who seems very quiet at the moment!

• Mister Tuff

Jul 13, 2016 at 11:33 AM

YCMIU/ Martoon – I think most fair minded people took the stance that as Wally had been appointed and was in post that they would give him a chance/see what he could do.
    Big difference taking this position as opposed to raving about him – really without foundation. I would add that they were entitled to their opinions.

• Mister Tuff

Jul 13, 2016 at 11:35 AM

Got to say Benitez is not hanging about – he’s getting the job done – no p**s fa***ng about like in previous seasons.

• Ron Knee

Jul 13, 2016 at 11:39 AM

Was McClaren responsible for bringing Townsend in, or was it Charmless/Carr?

• Belfast

Jul 13, 2016 at 11:42 AM

Yes to a loan but definitely not a permanent deal at that price.

• Shadow_Shearer

Jul 13, 2016 at 11:43 AM

Just read a piece on the mag, asking if you would accept 35 millions for all the french players left at newcastle.

Sissoko, haidara, gouffy, Riviere & Thauvin. I’d take 35 in a heart beat for all of them. Reinvest it all

• Al Yalayis Lad

Jul 13, 2016 at 11:45 AM

I hope Crouch does not come, he is past it, ok he can score goals, but you are playing with 10 men while he is on the pitch these days.

Anyway he will never fit in those new Puma Toon tops, he will look like a borst cooch.

neither will I come to think if it, need to get down the gym and sort out me kite

• Tsunki

Jul 13, 2016 at 12:07 PM

I see Misogyny is now to be classed as a hate crime. That’s Jibs’ already meagre joke stack severely cut back 🙂

Also noticed that Poundland has been sold for £597m. That’s £596,999,999 more than I expected. Ho ho ho.

Is it Jespers unwavering support for McCardew that forced him underground? I thought it was the revolving captain thing?

• heavenfirechris

Jul 13, 2016 at 12:11 PM

Bring back Shola! ?

• Tsunki

Jul 13, 2016 at 12:12 PM

Ha ha sorry Reverend Ian for being “despicable and cheap” but hey, what you see is what you get!

And welshie – do yourself a favour, stay in the light and out of Ian’s crevice.

• Tsunki

Jul 13, 2016 at 12:14 PM

35m for all the French players? £37.50 plus sissoko, sounds about right. 🙂

• expatmag

Jul 13, 2016 at 12:16 PM

TSUNKI

he he he….you dag

• c-dog

Jul 13, 2016 at 12:28 PM

Cisse could be frustrating to watch at the best of times but I’ll look back fondly at his time at the club. Best of luck.

• c-dog

Jul 13, 2016 at 12:31 PM

Jeff Hendrick would be a good signing.

• lochinvar

Jul 13, 2016 at 12:31 PM

If Allardyce gets the England job thats’s a great out of jail card for him.
    And that leaves the way open for Carver’s return to management.

Joy

• Belfast

Jul 13, 2016 at 12:37 PM

I said this on here a few times that Fergie is having a major influence in this appointment with his mate basically being in charge of the search. Think one of the other blokes on the panel even admitted he didn’t no that much about football Haha

It’s a depressing thought and i’m not even English lol

• Belfast

Jul 13, 2016 at 12:49 PM

Good to see you survived the purge Ian.

Pity about Pokat though. 🙂

• expatmag

Jul 13, 2016 at 12:51 PM

Aye….I can just see the McLaren, Carver partnership at the SOS.

Couldnt happen to a nicer club.

• Tsunki

Jul 13, 2016 at 12:52 PM

It is indeed a dark age into which Team England plunge headlong, when the name of Samuel Allardyce rises to the top of the candidate list as proposed pilot to former international glory, in the same manner as a turd surfaces in a cesspit. I used to think that the days when we were beaten narrowly by the likes of West Germany, Brazil and Holland were the nadir but I’m obviously now seeing the real depths of our footballing grief.

• The American

Jul 13, 2016 at 12:52 PM

Bamford wold be a poor replacement. Especially considering that we already have a better striker option in both Gayle and Mitrovic. Not to mention the seemingly inevitable debut of Armstrong in the Championship. He would simply seem surplus to me being that I rate him about as much as Riviere in terms of potential Premier League impact.

• Belfast

Jul 13, 2016 at 12:52 PM

I would give it to Eddie Howe myself and under no circumstances should he be forced to have Redknapp or Hoddle babysitting him. He does a fine job on his own.