The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Is This Striker The Replacement For Papiss Cisse?

10:24 am, Wednesday, July 13th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 46 Comments

Now that Papiss Cisse has left Newcastle for China, there are reports that Newcastle will be signing another striker to replace the 31 year-old Senegal International.

Reports yesterday had Newcastle interested in 35 year-old Stoke striker Peter Crouch and that seemed a surprising development.

Patrick Bamford on loan at Crystal Palace last season

But maybe a younger striker Rafa may be interested in is Chelsea’s Patrick Bamford, who is available for around £10M and that’s not cheap for an untried player who turns 23 in September.

We have already been linked with this striker earlier in the summer.

Patrick Bamford won the Championship Player of the Year award two seasons ago when he scored 19 goals in 43 total appearances for Middlesbrough.

That was one of the reasons the north-east club reached the playoff final last year, but lost 2-0 to Norwich City.

But last season Patrick didn’t fare too well at all in two loan spells at two Premier clubs – Crystal Palace and Norwich City – and he played only 10 times in total and didn’t score a goal.

So we expect Rafa has watched videos on Patrick over the summer and decided whether the 6ft 1ins tall striker is one for the future at Newcastle United.

A majority of Newcastle fans don’t want to see Peter Crouch signed.

Would Peter Crouch Be A Good Signing For Newcastle?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Let us know what you think of Patrick Bamford as a striker signing for Newcastle.

Would Patrick Bamford Be A Good Signing For £10M?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Newcastle News · Poll · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

46 responses so far ↓

• 1 Munster Mag // Jul 13, 2016 at 10:34 AM

Lil, I have been an ardent critic of Sissoko here, labelling him a fraud on this site a long time ago, early in his career. I have never felt the need to change that stance. I think our valuation at 35mill is laughable, given that he cant pass consistently, cross consistently, or tackle. I would take 25mill all day long and get him out of town asap.

• 2 Munster Mag // Jul 13, 2016 at 10:39 AM

WWSBRD I don’t know why you were so surprised at my comments. I don’t think Sissoko is worth 35mill because of his many flaws and attitude issues. He may blossom at a top club, but I think top clubs in the champs league need more than hard runners better suited to the athletics track. Jib, what a centre or winger Sissoko wud be in rugby! Seriously, I would take 25 million for him, and get his miserable sulky face off the training pitch. BTW , he doesn’t always play well for Rafa, but there again Rafa bizarrely played him on the left when he arrived. it might be a case of selling him and Gini but not spending the proceeds . Get out of this league and then spend it. Either way I think we need about 4 new players.

• 3 martoon // Jul 13, 2016 at 10:39 AM

The makems could be in the brown stuff!

• 4 lesh // Jul 13, 2016 at 10:39 AM

You may think £35m too much for Sissoko but the market’ll dictate his worth. There’s no fee been put on his head and if Real Madrid are interested, that can only drive his fee up

• 5 lesh // Jul 13, 2016 at 10:41 AM

The Mackems could always get McLaren in to replace Allardyce.

• 6 martoon // Jul 13, 2016 at 10:42 AM

lesh @5 – Sounds like a plan 🙂

• 7 Jib // Jul 13, 2016 at 10:43 AM

Sylvain Marveaux who NUFC released last month has got a contract with Ligue1 side Lorient

• 8 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 13, 2016 at 10:43 AM

There was a rumour yesterday that McWally WOULD be the replacement for Hippo-heed. I may die of laughter it were actually to happen

• 9 Yo-yo // Jul 13, 2016 at 10:45 AM

If the answer is Allardyce then what the hell questions are the FA asking ?
    It’s not like England are relegation candidates.

• 10 Jib // Jul 13, 2016 at 10:45 AM

• 11 hibbitt // Jul 13, 2016 at 10:45 AM

Munster Mag

as you well know the asking price will not be the selling price
    we have to start high so there’s room for maneuver
    exactly the same as blackburn are doing to us
    i expect both deals to drag on but go through in the end
    with sissoko going to ??????

• 12 martoon // Jul 13, 2016 at 10:55 AM

YCMIU @8- If there is any truth in it I really can’t see the fans accepting McClaren – they saw what happened just up the road from them and arguably with a better squad than theirs!

• 13 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 13, 2016 at 11:01 AM

Yeah, Its unlikely to be true. I cant evem understand why the FA want Allardyce. He is a step backwards from Hodgeson. Even “he who shall not be named from pystal cralace” would be better then Sir Hoofy of Longballshire.

• 14 WLtoon // Jul 13, 2016 at 11:05 AM

I would be peeved if we got either of these two strikers on our books. bamford especially, he proved last season that he is not up to premier lge standard, and lets face it, if we are expecting to go straight back up, we are,nt going to pay 10m for someone who may cut it for one season in the fizzy pop lge.
    Crouch may be ok as a stop gap and experience, but i doubt he would be very effective.

• 15 martoon // Jul 13, 2016 at 11:08 AM

YCMIU – I agree I think Big Sam would be a backward step. I think the FA are looking at teams like Iceland who are well organised and hard to beat and yes Sam could make England like that BUT surely we expect more than that from an England team.

• 16 Mister Tuff // Jul 13, 2016 at 11:10 AM

Clearly Wally Brolly has been applying for jobs – Sunderland would be nice and handy for him.
    Quite a few on here were shouting from the rooftops that Wally would be our saviour -really giving it large about him. Wally this Wally that -Wally knows best.
    The same people are now saying exactly the same about Rafa -just the name has been changed.
    (Have to say at this point to stop those with poisonous pens – Rafa is the man).
    Talk about changing horses mid race – some folk talk a load of rubbish and try to portray themselves as knowing all things about the club.

• 17 lesh // Jul 13, 2016 at 11:12 AM

Buenas deas Jib

What would we do without your non-English links? Go through life unchallenged I suppose!

• 18 Shadow_Shearer // Jul 13, 2016 at 11:14 AM

We only got 5 million for Cisse. I can’t see us replacing him with a 10 million pound striker. We already got our big money signings in gayle & Ritchie. The rest have been smaller deals.

• 19 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 13, 2016 at 11:19 AM

Dont think many were massively thrilled when McWally was appointed (ok maybe one or two), but at the same time, i dont think many could have predicted the level of disaster he would cause. I always like to give a guy a chance, as others do. Maybe we should have made an exception in this case,although as i said, no one could have predicted what happened.

• 20 martoon // Jul 13, 2016 at 11:24 AM

Tuff @16 – I can only speak for myself – McClaren certainly was not my first choice but I was prepared to give him a chance but I’d had enough by Christmas. The only poster shouting from the rooftops that I remember was our friend in Norway who seems very quiet at the moment!

• 21 Mister Tuff // Jul 13, 2016 at 11:33 AM

YCMIU/ Martoon – I think most fair minded people took the stance that as Wally had been appointed and was in post that they would give him a chance/see what he could do.
    Big difference taking this position as opposed to raving about him – really without foundation. I would add that they were entitled to their opinions.

• 22 Mister Tuff // Jul 13, 2016 at 11:35 AM

Got to say Benitez is not hanging about – he’s getting the job done – no p**s fa***ng about like in previous seasons.

• 23 Ron Knee // Jul 13, 2016 at 11:39 AM

Was McClaren responsible for bringing Townsend in, or was it Charmless/Carr?

• 24 Belfast // Jul 13, 2016 at 11:42 AM

Yes to a loan but definitely not a permanent deal at that price.

• 25 Shadow_Shearer // Jul 13, 2016 at 11:43 AM

Just read a piece on the mag, asking if you would accept 35 millions for all the french players left at newcastle.

Sissoko, haidara, gouffy, Riviere & Thauvin. I’d take 35 in a heart beat for all of them. Reinvest it all

• 26 Al Yalayis Lad // Jul 13, 2016 at 11:45 AM

I hope Crouch does not come, he is past it, ok he can score goals, but you are playing with 10 men while he is on the pitch these days.

Anyway he will never fit in those new Puma Toon tops, he will look like a borst cooch.

neither will I come to think if it, need to get down the gym and sort out me kite

• 27 Tsunki // Jul 13, 2016 at 12:07 PM

I see Misogyny is now to be classed as a hate crime. That’s Jibs’ already meagre joke stack severely cut back 🙂

Also noticed that Poundland has been sold for £597m. That’s £596,999,999 more than I expected. Ho ho ho.

Is it Jespers unwavering support for McCardew that forced him underground? I thought it was the revolving captain thing?

• 28 heavenfirechris // Jul 13, 2016 at 12:11 PM

Bring back Shola! ?

• 29 Tsunki // Jul 13, 2016 at 12:12 PM

Ha ha sorry Reverend Ian for being “despicable and cheap” but hey, what you see is what you get!

And welshie – do yourself a favour, stay in the light and out of Ian’s crevice.

• 30 Tsunki // Jul 13, 2016 at 12:14 PM

35m for all the French players? £37.50 plus sissoko, sounds about right. 🙂

• 31 expatmag // Jul 13, 2016 at 12:16 PM

he he he….you dag

• 32 c-dog // Jul 13, 2016 at 12:28 PM

Cisse could be frustrating to watch at the best of times but I’ll look back fondly at his time at the club. Best of luck.

• 33 c-dog // Jul 13, 2016 at 12:31 PM

Jeff Hendrick would be a good signing.

• 34 lochinvar // Jul 13, 2016 at 12:31 PM

If Allardyce gets the England job thats’s a great out of jail card for him.
    And that leaves the way open for Carver’s return to management.

• 35 Belfast // Jul 13, 2016 at 12:37 PM

I said this on here a few times that Fergie is having a major influence in this appointment with his mate basically being in charge of the search. Think one of the other blokes on the panel even admitted he didn’t no that much about football Haha

It’s a depressing thought and i’m not even English lol

• 36 Belfast // Jul 13, 2016 at 12:49 PM

Good to see you survived the purge Ian.

Pity about Pokat though. 🙂

• 37 expatmag // Jul 13, 2016 at 12:51 PM

Aye….I can just see the McLaren, Carver partnership at the SOS.

Couldnt happen to a nicer club.

• 38 Tsunki // Jul 13, 2016 at 12:52 PM

It is indeed a dark age into which Team England plunge headlong, when the name of Samuel Allardyce rises to the top of the candidate list as proposed pilot to former international glory, in the same manner as a turd surfaces in a cesspit. I used to think that the days when we were beaten narrowly by the likes of West Germany, Brazil and Holland were the nadir but I’m obviously now seeing the real depths of our footballing grief.

• 39 The American // Jul 13, 2016 at 12:52 PM

Bamford wold be a poor replacement. Especially considering that we already have a better striker option in both Gayle and Mitrovic. Not to mention the seemingly inevitable debut of Armstrong in the Championship. He would simply seem surplus to me being that I rate him about as much as Riviere in terms of potential Premier League impact.

• 40 Belfast // Jul 13, 2016 at 12:52 PM

I would give it to Eddie Howe myself and under no circumstances should he be forced to have Redknapp or Hoddle babysitting him. He does a fine job on his own.

• 41 Tsunki // Jul 13, 2016 at 12:59 PM

If Team McCarvew end up at the Stadium of Blight it will ensure their drop into the championship. Happy days.

• 42 Tsunki // Jul 13, 2016 at 1:01 PM

I dunno Hoddle could get his resident mystic to do some incantations over the Wembley turf, you know, cast crows bones onto the pitch and read tea leaves etc.

• 43 martoon // Jul 13, 2016 at 1:06 PM

In fairness to Carver he may have his limitations but he is black and white through & through – no way would he go to the SoS.

• 44 posada // Jul 13, 2016 at 1:07 PM

It’s certainly an Old Man’s world. Especially as far as the FA are concerned.
    Shearer not experienced enough. He’s 46 and has all the experience you would need for England. No tranfers to do or budgets to balance, so it’s not the same as club management.
    Eddie Howe needs an old man to watch over him.
    He’s 38 and has spent his whole life in the game.
    FA tend to pick someone in their own image. Someone they can relate to. Hence Roy.
    They fear a true manager with a vision and a genius, which is why Old Big Head never got it.

• 45 posada // Jul 13, 2016 at 1:10 PM

Many thought McLaren would be ok.
    Just don’t think they realised how bad things were at the club and how much of a complete overhaul was needed.
    Raffa I think is best suited for that.

• 46 giimps // Jul 13, 2016 at 1:37 PM

Maybe mcwally would do an ok job if he was given the players he neede, we all knew we needed a lb, CB creative midfielder and a cf who could score a hatful of goals if he was going to be successful, were still waiting a year later for the CB and lb , we have replaced a cf but let another one go so no further forward.
    Rafa being given the reins is the best thing that has happened here for over a decade but i think if wally was given the players he needed he may have stood a chance of 17th, Rafa with the right players is hopefully the catalyst to success we have been crying out for since Noah was a laddy

previous post: Newcastle Target Reported Keen To Join Rafa On Tyneside