Rafa Benitez has transformed Newcastle United since he agreed to stay with us on May 25th and he seems to have worked his socks off since that time to identify new players that we need to help with our promotion drive next season.
Rafa has already brought in five new players and they all look good with great attitudes and keen to play for Newcastle; they will certainly strengthen the side.
We have been linked with even more players coming in – particularly with 24 year-old center-back Grant Hanley of Blackburn Rovers, with two bids of £3.5M and £4.5M having already been rejected.
Rafa Benitez explaining things to his players
But Rafa today has given some encouraging news to Newcastle fans, as he says some deals are close to being completed and hopefully some new players will soon be arriving at Newcastle.
Rafa was asked if there would be any new additions soon to the squad and this is what he said:
“We’re working hard behind the scenes to bring in more players.”
“As I have said before we are close to some of them, hopefully we can do it.”
“We have to be open to offers if somebody is interested.”
“We don’t want to sell, but if somebody comes we have to make sure we do the right things for the club.”
Newcastle have so far brought in Matz Sels. Dwight Gayle, Matt Ritchie, Jesus Gamez and Isaac Hayden in that order for around £30M gross.
All five new players are involved in the training camp in County Kildare, Ireland this week which seems to be going very well and adding to the team spirit of the squad.
The camp will finish off with our first friendly game against Bohemian in Dublin on Saturday at Dalymount Park, with a 2:00pm kick off time.