The saga of trying to get Grant Hanley from Blackburn Rovers to Newcastle goes on ……. and on ……. and on.
We were first linked strongly with Hanley back on June 23rd when it was reported via several different sources that Newcastle were the favorites to sign the 24 year-old.
Fast forward over three weeks and we are still pursuing the Scottish International and now Norwich have joined the race and it seems that Blackburn have raised the price of their captain – and not for the first time.
Newcastle first bid was £3.5 then £4.5M for the Blackburn captain and then after both bids were turned down the price on Grant’s head was said to be £6M a few days ago.
Grant Hanley – Norwich could sing the center-back
It seems that Newcastle have gone back in with a £5.5M bid for the Scottish International, but it seems Norwich have become very keen on the central defender and are reported to have quickly matched Newcastle’s bid.
But the Mail is now reporting that Blackburn Rovers want £8M for their central defender, which is more than twice Newcastle’s first bid.
After three failed bids it’s a good question if Newcastle will keep trying or simply turn away and try to sign another center-back.
Hanley again did not see any playing time for Blackburn in their hour-long friendly games with Morecambe and Bury today and that was due to the slight knee injury he is said to have picked up some days ago while training in Austria with the Blackburn squad.
There have been various reports that Newcastle have inquired about 25 year-old Tom Lees of Sheffield Wednesday, who we have been linked with since last October.
Newcastle have also recently been linked with Fulham’s 31 year-old Venezuelan International defender Fernando Amorebieta, who we reported on a couple of days ago.
Newcastle need a center-back brought in quickly and at least from the outside there doesn’t seem to have been too much progress made on trying to get Hanley to Tyneside over the last week or so.
What do you think?