The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

These Three Positions Still To Be Strengthened This Summer

9:34 am, Saturday, July 16th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 26 Comments

Newcastle have brought five players in so far this summer but more players are needed to strengthen three specific positions.

Those positions are center-back, striker and winger.

Grant-Hanley scotland

Grant Hanley – get him signed or move to another target

We obviously need a center-back brought in to challenge Jamaal Lascelles and Chancel Mbemba for the starting positions, since Steven Taylor and Fabricio Coloccini have finally left Newcastle this summer and Mike  Williamson left in January.

And we have a week-long saga going on with Grant Hanley of Blackburn – so we are hoping we can sign Grant over the weekend – or else move on to another center-back target and get him signed up.

The Hanley saga reminds us too much of the way Newcastle used to operate in the past, when we haggled far too long over a million here or there for good players – and ended up losing out too many times.

And with Papiss Cisse having left the club and Newcastle finding it hard to score goals over the last few seasons, we need another striker brought in to replace Papiss.

We have brought in Dwight Gayle and he looks like a good buy, but we need another out-and-out striker in the ranks now that the Senegal International has moved to China.

And to score goals you also need players who can create the chances and open up opposing defenses, so Rafa is also reported to be wanting to increase the creativity in the side and looking to bring in a winger or attacking midfielder.

The Chronicle is reporting today that Jordan Ibe, who signed on for Bournemouth yesterday, was not a priority for Newcastle and the club also thought he was overpriced at a cool £15M for the 20 year-old

Matt Ritchie has replaced Andros Townsend and he can score goals and make goals, but even in those last six games last season most of the threat came from the departed Townsend and to a lesser extent from Moussa Sissoko.

So Rafa is also looking for a creative winger he could bring in.

Apart from those three positions the squad at the moment looks extremely solid, but we cannot lose too many of our star players over the summer and if we do they should be replaced – preferably before we sell them.

That’s what Rafa did when he brought Matt Ritchie in and then allowed Andros Townsend to sign on for Alan Pardew at Crustal Palace – in that order.

And if “star” players push for a move away from Newcastle this summer we should let them go, but only for top dollar,  so we only have players at the club who want to fight for us in the second division.

That will ensure the team spirit is great – which is exactly what we need if we are to be successful and get promoted next May.

What do you think?

26 responses so far ↓

• 1 Veltmann // Jul 16, 2016 at 9:36 AM

Repeat due to Ed’s blah blah blah..
    Good to see BandB back.I wasn’t her biggest fan earlier but now I am.Realized the place needs someone like her I reckon.
    With that, I’m off!!

• 2 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 16, 2016 at 9:43 AM

I agree that if Hanley is a high-priority target, haggling over what amounts to small change seems ridiculous. But as we know, that’s how Charnley operates, and why it’s so disappointing to see him still hanging around. I had hoped that Rafa would have the clout to tell him to just sign the bloody player and stop playing “what a clever boy I am” for Ashley’s benefit. Charnley out.

• 3 wynsleap // Jul 16, 2016 at 9:52 AM

ToF @ 2 – Have to say I agree with those sentiments.
    I thought the days of missing out on a priority player for the sake of a few quid were long gone but obviously not.
    Happy with the signings so far but a striker is a must and a good one at that.
    Can’t see both Wijnaldum and Sissoko staying so a strong creative midfielder is another necessity. Come on Toon, the clock is ticking.

• 4 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 16, 2016 at 9:53 AM

And when asked for an update for fans on the Hanley situation, Benitez said: “It is something that I am aware of as I am talking every day with Lee Charnley.
    “He’s in charge of the signings and the business. I cannot talk too much about that.”
    And so, the mood of optimism changes to despair

• 5 Krul To Be Kind // Jul 16, 2016 at 9:55 AM

I get the impression De Jong = Marcelino if anyone remembers him!

I stated as much when we signed him that after his collapsed lung in Holland he was done… I suffered the same thing and I was never anywhere near as physically fit as I was before that… its one of those unfortunate things, the lad was a classy player before this happened!

• 6 expatmag // Jul 16, 2016 at 10:02 AM

TOF

You are assuming a lot here regarding these negotiations

• 7 clinath@ed // Jul 16, 2016 at 10:02 AM

Just catching up, and I noticed BandB’s moving and heartfelt concern over our small plight.
    That’s 3 times in a a row now you’ve laid into me, I have obviously upset you somehow, or maybe you just find me annoying. Don’t know, and don’t care.
    Lesh, thanks for the info on the credit card front, we are pursuing that angle even now.

• 8 clinath@ed // Jul 16, 2016 at 10:03 AM

Ps BandB, my Labrador sends his love.

• 9 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 16, 2016 at 10:07 AM

expat, given our track record, I think it’s reasonable to always assume the worst. Are you drinking anything decent tonight?

• 10 magicmac // Jul 16, 2016 at 10:08 AM

The reason the Grant Hanley situation is dragging on all week is very simple, as Rafa is in Ireland with the squad, he left that little toe rag Charnley in charge to sort things out about the possible signing of Grant Hanley, had Rafa been in England it would have been sorted about the start of the week, how that little stupid clown Charnley, and his side kick Carr are still at Newcastle is simply beyond me.

• 11 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 16, 2016 at 10:15 AM

magicmac@10. I have to say I agree with you there. I’ve made some similar comments myself in the past.

• 12 expatmag // Jul 16, 2016 at 10:42 AM

TOF

Just got back from 2 Buoys in Dronana where I consumed copious amounts of a nice little pinot griglio called Foxeys…..I think it us a Mornington Peninsuka based wine……very nice

• 13 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 16, 2016 at 10:49 AM

Morning all.

Wow, it all kicked off last night :-O

I think it’s time we told blackburn where to go. There are plenty other cbs out there we could buy. We don’t need to be held to ransom.

• 14 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 16, 2016 at 10:52 AM

Clanath

Sorry to read about your Hols. These budget companies are nothing short of con artists at times. The Coup is apparently over, and many arrests have been made,but flights out there are limited for the time being. I know a few others whos hols are in the balance for that reason at the moment. The world is going to sh1t

• 15 Jib // Jul 16, 2016 at 10:59 AM

The Mail are reporting that Spurs are prepared to go to £24 million for Wijnaldum (we paid 15 last Summer)

• 16 Jib // Jul 16, 2016 at 11:05 AM

Met a young couple in a local bar this morning who are staying in a hotel round the corner.
    They arrived yesterday – note under door – “Your tour company has gone bust please be out of room by midday”
    No accom. no flight home. not even a transfer to the airport.
    How do the powers that be allow these companies to take thousands of bookings without an A.T.O.L. ?

• 17 funlovingexpress // Jul 16, 2016 at 11:06 AM

We need to move on. They are wanting far to much for Hanley.
    They see us as an easy touch.

• 18 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 16, 2016 at 11:13 AM

Jib

Thats shocking. It seems very harsh that the hotel cant give them a day or so to get themselves sorted out. I know it isnt the hotels fault, but some human decency wouldnt go amiss

• 19 expatmag // Jul 16, 2016 at 11:43 AM

JIB

I doubt this story in the daily fail.

In any case, our dealings with those scumbags is we should do to them what they did to us over Townsend.

Demand not a penny less than 30 million quid or they can “Do one”.

• 20 Shadow_Shearer // Jul 16, 2016 at 11:50 AM

Is there a game on 2day?? Pre season friendly at 2pm, anybody know????????????????????

• 21 expatmag // Jul 16, 2016 at 12:09 PM

Shadow

V bohemians

• 22 jasper // Jul 16, 2016 at 12:24 PM

Shadow S
    Nufc.com have a fixtures page and are very good at keeping it up to date with changes of date and time.

• 23 Jib // Jul 16, 2016 at 12:24 PM

It could be a wind up who knows ?
    I have others if it is fake

• 24 sing in the corner // Jul 16, 2016 at 12:30 PM

Something is knawing away at my general optimistic vibe for the task before us…
    Rafa: ‘..Lee Charnley is controlling business…’
    I wouldn’t let him control picking up dogs’ business.

• 25 Bobbybee // Jul 16, 2016 at 12:37 PM

Clint, best of luck with the credit card option matey, I truly hope you get justice. Got my fingers crossed for ye marra. Let me know how it pans out for you anyway. 😉

• 26 neverwin // Jul 16, 2016 at 12:50 PM

We pay 12m for Ritchie 10m for Gayle [far too much IMO] and yet have Charnley quibbling again over 1m or so. Like someone else said I stupidly thought those days had gone.
    If Toon are not willing to pay 6m then just walk away.
    Rafa says business left with Charnley – he must not really be aware of his track record and just what an arse he really is.

previous post: Benitez Talks About Newcastle’s Wounded Warrior