The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Benitez Comments On Florian Thauvin’s Newcastle Future

8:15 am, Sunday, July 17th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 18 Comments

Florian Thauvin reported back to training just over two weeks ago like any other Newcastle player – apart from Moussa Sissoko who played for France until last Sunday in the Euros – and as far as we can tell Florian has trained well and looked happy enough back in training.

And he came on and played in the second half yesterday in Newcastle’s 6-0 win over Bohemian in Dublin and scored one of the four second half goals in what looked like an excellent team performance from Newcastle.

matt rihchie florian thauvin

Florian Thauvin has been training well – shown here with Matt Ritchie

Thauvin tapped the ball in at the far post after a good left-wing cross from Rolando Aarons, who also scored himself in the second half.

Manager Rafa Benitez was asked if Thauvin had any future on Tyneside:

“I think they have to try their best in pre-season, and after, we will decide. It depends on the offers. It depends. We will analyse each case.”

There are a number of players that include Thauvin who have uncertain futures on Tyneside and they also include Moussa Sissoko, Gini Wijnaldum, Daryl Janmaat and Tim Krul and their futures will be decided depending on what kind of offers Newcastle get for them this summer.

If the bids meet the valuation placed on them by Rafa then they will be sold and replaced.

In Florian’s case Marseille want him on loan for the season and there has been some interest from Lazio.

If either club can pay his full wages he will go out on loan or else it could even be a permanent deal if any club can come close to the £13M we paid for him last summer from Marseille.

The future of these five players could be an unsettling thing for the squad if the uncertainty continues through the end of August.

Newcastle showed yesterday they already have a strong squad, even if we lost all five players,  but Rafa would probably like to keep most of the five to have the squad super strong.

We’re not sure whether that would include Florian.

And Rafa didn’t hive too much away with those statements either.

Tags: Florian Thauvin · Loan Moves · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

18 responses so far ↓

• 1 hibbitt // Jul 17, 2016 at 8:19 AM

carl

same shit every time you come on nothing brave about it

• 2 expatmag // Jul 17, 2016 at 8:23 AM

carl

Muppets like you are too easy to wind up eapecially as you portray yourself and your other handles as the law of the blog.

It is clear you were at the end of the queue when the good lord handed out intelligence.

Dont reply as you are too predictable……lol

• 3 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 17, 2016 at 8:35 AM

Carl,
    I rarely come on in the evening, but I do often read back through the posts to see if there is anything interesting, so I still have a good handle on it. You seem to only acknowledge insults against you and your better poster, whereas from where I sit all involved are as bad as each other for it.

Jail asked Veltmann if he was from Ethiopia – I presume as we haven’t seen ReyanToon for a while, and the posts certainly have a similar language and tone. Jib then did launch an unpriced attack on Jail, which Jail commented on only to then get some lip from Bobby. He bit and retaliated, then you jumped in.

• 4 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 17, 2016 at 8:36 AM

*been not sen

• 5 Jib // Jul 17, 2016 at 8:36 AM

Good show by the Irish Toon fans

• 6 Toonfan8 // Jul 17, 2016 at 8:38 AM

We have to buy maybee one cb and winger…then we should be fine…lascelles,mbemba,new cb,dummett,mbabu,gamez,janmaat all can play cb position…maybee new lb in case haidara is injured i like that young boy from wallsal there…rb position is covered with janmaat,gamez,mbabu,sterry enough..lb haidara,dummett,mbabu…cm who will be here shelvey,colback,saivet,anita…am wijnaldum,dejong wingers ritchie,aarons,thauvin,gouffran…strikers mitro,gayle,armstrong,riviere…tiote,sissoko will go i think then we should bring another midfielder

• 7 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 17, 2016 at 8:39 AM

*unprovoked…. last nights late night clearly still having an effect on my typing.

• 8 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 17, 2016 at 8:40 AM

From previous thread, Hayden may well be Tiote’s replacement, though I don’t think he’ll be an immediate starter.

Looks like Rafa really wants strong competition for places in CB, but as unfashionable as he was, I think it was a mistake to let Mike Williamson go (though he’s injured now) as he was absolutely fantastic the last time we were in the Championship.

I think someone of his ilk would be a good buy. A cheap steady pair of hands to supplement the back 4 rather than someone worth £5m who would expect to start every weekend.

I think it’s vital that Lascelles gets playing as much football as possible this season to ready him for the PL.

• 9 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 17, 2016 at 8:41 AM

ToonFan8,
    Depends who leaves. If Janmaat goes then I think we need either 1 centre back and 1 left back, or alternatively 2 centre backs.

Certainly another winger to add competition and/or cover. I’d also like a centre mid to come in, although it is probably low priority unless one or two of them leave.

• 10 carl // Jul 17, 2016 at 8:42 AM

BandB

You only have to see what else is on offer to appreciate what is being missed. Certainly the Labour Party is being hampered by its leader but there is no such leader on here. I guess the party members are what in essence drives the blog and it’s always desirable to have fresh thoughts and initiatives.

Opposition to anything least of all change is never surprising. The only way though is to work on the inside but if you want a life then good luck and thanks for the brief interlude.

• 11 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 17, 2016 at 8:46 AM

Ruddy,
    Yeah, getting rid of Willo was short sighted, however his departure was heralded by most fans. Given relegation, he would have been far better to still have in the squad than Saylor or Colo. Probably need 2 centre backs in, one older and one youngish with decent Championship experience.

I spoke to a guy who is an academy coach at Celtic, and he thinks Findlay has potential but really needs to be playing regularly to progress. I had initially thought he would provide cover as a fourth or fifth centre back, but from what this guy says he probably should be joining a clutch of youngsters going out on loan.

• 12 hibbitt // Jul 17, 2016 at 8:52 AM

judging by the responses to your post not sure you have a mandate to judge anything
    i don’t see a lot of posters backing your opinion other then jib

once again you try to portray yourself as some kind of leader with a very political agenda to disrupt the blog

• 13 BandB // Jul 17, 2016 at 8:59 AM

carl

This is you writing a few minutes ago…….

“hibbitt
    I saw it as being brave rather than condescending. Saying something that most thought was long overdue. Ed has a hopeless task monitoring, moderating etc he is loathe to banish those that have been long term contributors.Some of us have to sit in Judgement or the blog descends into the chaos of the past.”

So lets recap. You assert that you are brave, and that you a speaking for the blog. You bemoan recidivist stirrers devoted to permanent “chaos” and appoint yourself to the role of judge. That single paragraph is the very essence of you. And not a word about football all morning. You have no self-awareness at all, have you?

• 14 Jib // Jul 17, 2016 at 9:04 AM

Lilo
    Don’t make stuff up it weakens your (very suspicious) defence of a childish blog trouble maker
    You said
    “Prior to Jib calling Jail an “idiot” and a “twat” Jail had sen posting on football and the club.”
    He’d did one post all day about the Irish result even using that to have a pop at last years regime.
    One post all day and then he started haranguing Veltmann.

• 15 carl // Jul 17, 2016 at 9:07 AM

Lilongwe

I really don’t want to prolong this as it has descended far enough already. To establish my view. I admire your football related material from way back when I read your input in a match day programme. I have read/ posted since 2007 and have a good feel for the different types who contribute without being told by others of their various merits. We all have favourites in all walks of life and not surprisingly don’t always share opinions. It’s the confusion by many of the difference between facts and opinions as in my first post.

I do read with my own mediation to avoid tedious repetition, inaccuracy and babble and in ploughing through do sift the wheat from the chaff. Additionally I prefer to read from someone who’s actually been to the game rather than watched it on sky etc. Likewise I discount those that have opinions on players that they’ve never seen as I consider myself a good judge having for example seen Richie in the B’mouth games last season.

For me sheer nastiness without a supporting argument makes for a boring read. A minority of posts are like this and I do try personally to know more and understand better. I acknowledge being sucked in but it is not my intention.

• 16 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 17, 2016 at 9:10 AM

Jib,
    Yep, my mistake, his other football post was after you insulted him and before he accused you of an unprovoked attack.

Haranguing Veltmann? He asked him a question if he was from Ethiopia. Haranguing? Veltmann answered, and that was that. No insults, noabuse. Just a question which was answered. A bit overly dramatic suggesting it was ‘haranguing’. Your response however, was just to insult.

• 17 carl // Jul 17, 2016 at 9:12 AM

BandB
    I plead guilty to being a leader and not a follower. Something you referred to earlier the Labour Party could do with.
    I have to go as I am watching a family member in a pre season friendly. Family comes first as we both agree.

• 18 BandB // Jul 17, 2016 at 9:20 AM

carl

Hurry back carl, before the “bring back carl” hue and cry starts all over again.

previous post: Hanley Price Goes Up – Norwich Could Win Race For Defender