The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Make Inquiry For This Championship Center-Back

9:15 am, Sunday, July 17th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 53 Comments

Newcastle have been linked with Sheffield Wednesday center-back Tom Lees for almost a year now and the 24 year-old joined Wednesday two years ago from Leeds United and has played 6 times for the England U21 side.

Tom stands 6ft 1ins tall and can play either center-back or right back so he is versatile defender.

tom lees

Tom Lees – Sheffield Wednesday defender

There’s a report in the Mail that Newcastle have again inquired about the availability of Lees.

Lees was born in Birmingham, but moved to Leeds when he was 4 years old and he began his football career at Leeds United when he joined them four years later as an eight year-old.

Tom went on loan to Accrington Stanley in 2009 and then moved to Bury for one season – again on loan – in the summer of 2010 before he rejoined Leeds the following summer.

Over the last two seasons he has played 91 times for Wednesday with 3 goals and in the three seasons before that he played 135 times for Leeds United – most of those in the Championship.

So that’s a total of 226 appearances for Tom over the last five seasons with 202 of those being in the Championship – so he has ample Championship experience, which is what Rafa Benitez is looking for.

Burnley are said to be interested in signing Lees with their 23 year-old former Manchester United center-back Michael Keene possibly leaving the club this summer, with Leicester City one Premier League club interested in signing him.

We need to bring in a center-back soon and we have become bogged down with Blackburn Rovers over their captain and center-back Grant Hanley, since it seems the Lancashire club keep putting the price up for Hanley, with the latest news that they now want £8M for the 24 year-old.

There will come a time (soon) when Newcastle could give up on Hanley if they cannot get a deal done with Blackburn for the player.

Blackburn’s Indian owners (Venky’s) are notoriously difficult people to deal with and they certainly haven’t been a blessing for the famous Rovers club since they bought them back in November, 2010 and immediately fired Sam Allardyce.

If Newcastle do pull out then Tom Lees could be the perfect replacement, but he will not come cheap.

What do you think?

53 responses so far ↓

• 1 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 17, 2016 at 9:21 AM

I don’t have much faith in Haidara’s fitness, although when he was fit, he looked reasonable, and young enough to improve. Missed a lot of playing time though, and that will have hindered him.

I like Mbabu, but again, he has had a lot of injuries. Maybe with a change in attitude and direction through training and fitness regime we may see some of these injuries clear up, but there is no guarantee.

• 2 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 17, 2016 at 9:22 AM

Well our last few captains have been Colo, Sissoko and Shelvey. All of whom were very droppable and hadn’t a semblance of the attitude, effort and desire that Lascelles showed last season so I’d plump for him on that basis.

Sentiment or not, the guy’s war cry was a hell of a lot more than what came from our actual captain/senior figures…

• 3 Slank // Jul 17, 2016 at 9:22 AM

Until a central defender actually signs for us I see articles like this appearing with horrible regularity linking us with every Dick or Harry as Tom has already been mentioned.

Come on Ed, find us a Dick and a Harry.

• 4 jazzyp // Jul 17, 2016 at 9:23 AM

Sifting through comments from Hanley’s own fans, This guy sounds way to cumbersome at 8 mill.
    Championship player maybe but doesn’t sound like he will cut it in the Pl

• 5 Jail for Ashley // Jul 17, 2016 at 9:28 AM

I think Tiote as captain brings out the best of him, I think with the armband he would show the type of form that would make him a mainstay of the midfield.

• 6 Slank // Jul 17, 2016 at 9:28 AM

Without sounding jingoistic, racist or xenophobic shouldn’t the captain be British as that person would surely have a better feel and a greater understanding of what it means for the fans, club, team and the area ?

• 7 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 17, 2016 at 9:29 AM

On Hanley, I think he would be a good addition, but not at £8million. That sort of money could get you better. He would offer a good alternative to Lascelles and Mbemba, and is a different sort of centre bak to both. Any more than £5million and I think we should be looking at more than just an alternative type/style, and a player who is more comfortable on the ball as well as a solid defender.

• 8 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 17, 2016 at 9:30 AM

Tiote is the last guy I’d make captain, he’d be one of the players I’d cull for being a wantaway knob the past few seasons. He hasn’t proved his loyalty to the club, nor is he even a consistent performer. If it’s a straight choice between Lascelles and Tiote I know who I’d plump for.

• 9 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 17, 2016 at 9:31 AM

I think captains can be from anywhere. It is surely more about the individuals personality and attitude. Vieria is probably one of the best examples of this in recent times..

• 10 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 17, 2016 at 9:33 AM

Slank@6 – I think that is fair comment for discussion, but really isn’t it personality, rather than nationality that makes a good captain?

• 11 Jib // Jul 17, 2016 at 9:35 AM

It’s becoming increasingly obvious that the defensive player roundabout is going to carry on spinning all Summer.
    There are going to be transfers right up to the September deadline.
    If you read the article above it will have your head spinning.
    Roberto Mancini has even inquired about Darryl Janmaat !

• 12 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 17, 2016 at 9:35 AM

Ruddy@8. Agree completely. Tiote’s attitude has often been suspect. No way I’d make him captain.

• 13 Rotonda heights // Jul 17, 2016 at 9:37 AM

You just managed to sound all those things. Michael Owen and Shelvey are just 2 examples of appalling ”British” captains. Players respect good players and leaders, no matter where they come from, ie Vincent Kompany and Viera as just 2 examples.

• 14 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 17, 2016 at 9:38 AM

I do agree that natives (in any countries league) are more likely to have a far better grasp on the mentality of the nation, and therefore are more likely to be suited to it. Still, I wouldn’t rule out a foreigner as a captain, but they maybe do have to have a bit more to them.

• 15 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 17, 2016 at 9:42 AM

Janmaat has ben linked with a few Italian sides through the media. How accurate the reports are is anyone’s guess. I think Janmaat would suit the Italian league though, and would be a very good signing for any top team there. It wouldn’t surprise me to see him move there.

• 16 Slank // Jul 17, 2016 at 9:42 AM

I agree that personality and attitude are very important.

I often wondered, probably like almost all fans, how Colo was always made captain irrespective of who the manager was at the time. He was certainly different to Nolan.

I was very surprised when Rafa gave the arm band to Sissoko but seeing the transformation in him makes me think that I shouldn’t doubt the manager as much as I do.

I think Lascelles has a great future with us who looks and acts the part of being a captain albeit a very young one.

• 17 jazzyp // Jul 17, 2016 at 9:45 AM

I see Pardew’s apparently showing interest in Sissoko, To team back up with Cabaye.
    Not bad for a manager who constantly slagged of our transfer policy

• 18 hibbitt // Jul 17, 2016 at 9:46 AM

Tiote’s another one who only turns up now and again
    not a leader or captain material
    i see china calling one last big payday

• 19 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 17, 2016 at 9:47 AM

As Luke Edwards eloquently wrote in the Telegraph – Moussa Sissoko’s brilliance for France wasn’t a surprise for most Newcastle fans, it was a slap in the face.

Did you never wonder why Sissoko would look brilliant against Liverpool, Chelsea or Spurs and look bang average against Villa or West Brom? The guy only wants to show up for the big occasions.

His form in France had nothing to do with Newcastle or with Rafa. He’ll be the same old cumbersome, sorry excuse for a footballer if he lines out in a Newcastle shirt next season. I for one cannot wait to see the back of him.

Captain? The man couldn’t lead an orgy in a whorehouse.

• 20 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 17, 2016 at 9:47 AM

Do you think Sissoko performed that much better as captain? He performed against the big clubs, as he often did before, but in the Villa game, and Palace he wasn’t impressive.

Some players do lift their game when made captain, but in my opinion a captain should lift the whole team. I don’t think Sissoko did that, nor Colo. I doubt any player who has publicly stated their desire to leave the club would have a positive influence if retained as/made captain.

Lascelles is certainly captain material in the future, if he can perform consistently then I see no reason for it not to be now. The alternative is that we potentially have a Kilcline style Club captain, who is in and out of the team, but captain for his personality. Then a secondary captain who has similar attributes who is a more regular feature in the team.

• 21 Slank // Jul 17, 2016 at 9:49 AM

The overrated Frenchman

Yes I raised question for discussion.

And yes personality is a key component to being a captain which begs the question was Colo was some kind of footballing Jekyll and Hyde as that attribute didn’t seem to manifest itself on the field.

• 22 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 17, 2016 at 9:50 AM

Ruddy @19,
    My thoughts entirely. He performs when in the shop window.

• 23 SUTTY1978 // Jul 17, 2016 at 9:52 AM

It’s refreshing to give a team a good ton King in preseason. We spent all last summer on the reverse end. I remember all the Wally fan boys saying “it’s all about fitness, the results aren’t important”. They are in my book.

• 24 hibbitt // Jul 17, 2016 at 9:52 AM

we can’t find 1 captain never mind 2……. LOL

• 25 SUTTY1978 // Jul 17, 2016 at 9:53 AM

“Ton King”? Tonking!

• 26 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 17, 2016 at 9:53 AM

I made a comment the other day wherein I said I’d flog him for less than £10m such was my disdain for the man – it was meant to be a demonstration of my dislike of the man rather than how I’d run Newcastle’s transfer policy but I am genuinely worried that Newcastle will price themselves out of the chance to sell him.

We’ll be demanding at least £20m for him and I’d be amazed if anyone pays that for him. I certainly don’t want him anywhere near the squad next season, in fact I don’t want him poisoning the atmosphere in pre-season if we haven’t already sold him by then.

He’s a shirker and a wastrel which is why I think we could be stuck with him…

• 27 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 17, 2016 at 9:55 AM

Lol. My only reservations on Lascelles are him performing consistently to a level that maintains his first team place – obviously dependant on us actually signing a centre back or 2.

Lascelles could be a good Club captain like in our promotion season under Keegan, where he captains when playing but is not guaranteed a start by any stretch of the imagination.

• 28 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 17, 2016 at 9:56 AM

Lilo@20. Fair point, but if you can keep things simple by having one captain, week in, week out, that has to be preferable. My concern with Lascelles, although it’s not a huge one, is that he actually hasn’t done enough as yet to be considered a fixture in first eleven.

• 29 Slank // Jul 17, 2016 at 9:57 AM

I do think Sissoko performed better as captain. Yes he was better against the big clubs but not so against Villa and Palace. But is it a requirement that a captain has to be or can be a standout performer every game ?

Could he maintain a better consistency throughout a whole season I guess we will never know as he will probably be sold.

• 30 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 17, 2016 at 10:00 AM

It will be interesting to see which clubs actually firm up the alleged media interest in him. I don’t want to see him back, I wanted rid of him last summer, as his shocking attitude as a senior member of the squad is part of what dragged the rest down. Not him alone, but he was part of it.

Imagine being a new signing and seeing Tiote, Cisse, Colo and Sissoko, 4 of the most senior players, not really giving a boot and not putting in effort during games. Hardly inspirational to new signings, or younger and easily influenced members of the squad.

• 31 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 17, 2016 at 10:03 AM

No, but my point there is that he has always performed better in the big games. It wasn’t due to captaincy or Rafa, it was exactly how he had always performed for us.

I don’t expect a captain to be a stand out player, I wouldn’t base captaincy on them being the best player in the team. They do need to be a positive influence on the rest of their teammates though, and I doubt Sissoko could be that.

• 32 Slank // Jul 17, 2016 at 10:05 AM

‘..Tiote, Cisse, Colo and Sissoko, 4 of the most senior players, not really giving a boot and not putting in effort during games…’

I’ve never managed a football team so can’t explain why successive managers selected Colo and Sissoko as their captains.

What have our managers seen which we haven’t ?

• 33 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 17, 2016 at 10:08 AM

Yeah, I agree with that, although it is difficult to say for certain who are starting centre backs will be until we know who arrives in that position. I don’t think either Lascelles or Mbemba should be certain starters, Mbemba made a lot of errors last season. This could be the making of him, but we could bring in a centre half who is better/makes less errors. Lascelles has been inconsistent throughout his career, and that has to be a concern.

However, both are young and have room to develop and gain consistency. They are good for the future, but not finished articles.

• 34 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 17, 2016 at 10:10 AM

Slank@21. My impression is that Colo ingratiated himself to management which basically kept him in the job. He never spoke to the media, and if what you read is true he kept to the script in the dressing room. He seemed to be well aware of which side his bread was buttered on, which undoubtedly stood him in good stead with the upper echelon at the club.

• 35 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 17, 2016 at 10:10 AM

Colo was influential off the pitch within the squad apparently, hardly a reason for selecting him as captain in my opinion, but the squad wasn’t exactly full of options for the role.

• 36 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 17, 2016 at 10:12 AM

For Rafa and Sissoko, I’m sure Rafa was aware that Sissoko had already decided he wanted out, and the captaincy was an attempt to coax out value increasing performances out of him.

• 37 welshgeordie9 // Jul 17, 2016 at 10:13 AM

I’m beginning to think sod it now with us trying to get another centre back, rather use all the defenders that played yesterday with Haidara of course, at least they all want to stay and put the effort in, the more we move from different targets the worse it’s going to be for example, Hanley is our main target and reports say he wants to join if he did he’d be fully committed, now if we go to 2nd that would still be a main taggert, but if it goes longer than that say 4th or 5th, then if i was a player i would feel insulted, players always like to feel when clubs come in for them they want to be their number 1 target not last.

• 38 welshgeordie9 // Jul 17, 2016 at 10:14 AM

Main priority now is a forward more than a centre back.

• 39 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 17, 2016 at 10:15 AM

Right, off to collect four trial lists before training. Have a good day all.

• 40 Rotonda heights // Jul 17, 2016 at 10:20 AM

How many of us could, or may even want to lead an orgy in a whorehouse.

• 41 Rotonda heights // Jul 17, 2016 at 10:21 AM

Lilo @ 36

if rafa was that calculated, he’s an absolute genius.

• 42 Slank // Jul 17, 2016 at 10:33 AM

Lil @ 36

Very Machiavellian.

• 43 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 17, 2016 at 10:34 AM

With enough money I reckon you could do it buddy. Reach for the stars mate!

• 44 Slank // Jul 17, 2016 at 10:36 AM

Is this a first for this blog ?

I took a short break, went upstairs, picked up a large and heavy water container and appeared to have snapped my tendon.

I’m now horizontal with an ice pack around my leg.

Dangerous this blog.

• 45 lesh // Jul 17, 2016 at 10:40 AM

• 46 lesh // Jul 17, 2016 at 10:47 AM

Ed’ll be adding your name to the injured list!

Let’s hope that the changes Rafa’s made to the coaching and medical regimes help you recover and avoid such training injuries in future so we can avoid being top of the injuries table, again.

• 47 Novocastrian66 // Jul 17, 2016 at 10:57 AM

Slank a snapped tendon is agony mate. If you have snapped a tendon I feel your pain. Horrible, worse than a break.

• 48 Jib // Jul 17, 2016 at 11:01 AM

Is your surname De Jong by any chance ?

• 49 Munster Mag // Jul 17, 2016 at 11:03 AM

Slank, British captain my arse. If for example, tiote cared enough and had the leadership ability, i’d make him captain. Its not about where he is from etc

• 50 John Tudor // Jul 17, 2016 at 11:38 AM

are you experimenting with nuclear physics and an atomic bomb

• 51 manxpie // Jul 17, 2016 at 11:52 AM

I’ve got a great idea! I think we should have rotating captains?

I’d give it lacelles as when you hear him he actually sounds like a fan as well
    plus has all the attributes to be a top player I think he’ll boss this league

Lil didn’t he get dropped for other reasons at forest I’m sure I remember he fell out with Pearce?

• 52 JAMSHA // Jul 17, 2016 at 11:55 AM