The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Benitez Full Of Praise For Thauvin’s Qualities

12:09 pm, Monday, July 18th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 35 Comments

There’s no  doubt that Florian Thauvin has real ability – it’s his temperament that was suspect after he joined Newcastle last August.

Florian didn’t last six months at Newcastle before he returned on loan to Marseille in January after having a rather miserable six months on Tyneside.

But the lad has shown some character in returning to Newcastle for preseason training and he deserves credit for that and seems to have got stuck in and is training well.

florian thauvin ireland

Florian Thauvin training in Ireland last week

Before he arrived back on Tyneside on July 1st,  he also said in the French press that Newcastle had handled him with understanding and had always been professional in their dealings with him.

The 23 year-old played in the second half against Bohemian on Saturday in Dublin and scored a nice goal from an excellent Rolando Aarons left-wing cross and he looks fit these days.

Rafa Benitez has talked about the talented Frenchman  and has praised his ability today in the local press;:

“All of them done well, but he has quality.”  “He can score goals and get assists and I always knew that.”

“Now it is a question of him and the others of continuing to work and giving their best in every training session.”

“After that, we can decide what we do.”

We have no idea if Florian will play any part in the upcoming season for us.

But it’s possible if Rafa likes what he sees that he could send Florian on a season long loan deal and then bring him back next summer when Newcastle are hopefully back in the Premier League.

Florian is a flair player much like Ben Arfa and he’s good in a winning side, but struggles when things get tough for the team.

Rafa talks to all of his players all the time so he will have had a talk to Florian during training and he will know where he stands.

Florian may be sold this summer or sent out on loan, but it would be a shock if he stayed on Tyneside to help us in the Championship next season.

But it would be good if he did that and would get some of the fans back on his side.

Comments welcome – but please respect the views of others and be mature with your comments – thanks.

Tags: Coaching · Florian Thauvin · Friendlies · Newcastle News · Pre-season

35 responses so far ↓

• 1 G // Jul 18, 2016 at 12:11 PM

I thought the kid looked great before he signed for us, but he never looked up to the physical side of English football. Maybe Rafa can coax the best out of him, but frankly I think I saw enough of him bottling the challenges last season, so would prefer if we got a few quid for him instead.

• 2 G // Jul 18, 2016 at 12:16 PM

@Jayphoto from last thread, I agree about Shelvey, I think people have written him off way too soon. His form was up and down when Rafa came in, and he went for consistency over skill (To very good effect), however, given he signed Shelvey for Liverpool, although departed before he could use him, I think he will be a key player for us next season. Time will tell.

• 3 Our Toon // Jul 18, 2016 at 12:16 PM

Has he really had a fair crack at nufc, I don’t think he has, players need time to settle and get used to a new league and culture. If he wants to stay then it’ll only be good for the squad as we play 46 league games.

• 4 Mister Tuff // Jul 18, 2016 at 12:19 PM

expat – not being moderated at all – another lie.
    See he was having a pop at you as well.
    So blatant today and yesterday.
    What makes me laugh is the contention that they/he come on to talk football – but the last couple of days reveals that not to be the case – as witnessed by several impartial observers.
    Why they/he just don’t post about football instead of this perceived dream to become “blog boss” is beyond me totally.

We’ll probably see his gang of proper supporters (the usual suspects/blog misfits) later on offering their support.
    They/he just seems to want to wreck the enjoyment of what is happening at the club now -for their/his own spiteful purposes.

• 5 Our Toon // Jul 18, 2016 at 12:20 PM

Shelvey has an attitude problem in my opinion, no surprise he was dropped and sold, this coincided with Swansea picking up good wins with committed players who actually worked for the team.

He’s a good passers at times, not very mobile, a bit lazy and expects others to do the work for him. Doesn’t get many goals, and on 80k a week which is a complete joke for someone of his abilities or lack of.

Shelvey thinks he’s better than he actually is, offering Swansea fans out for a fight when he performed utter $hite says it all!!

• 6 Spoof // Jul 18, 2016 at 12:20 PM

where would Shelvey play, for me he is better playing really deep so in Rafa’s system it would be as one of the two holding players, yes he can tackle but is he a holding player, I’m not sure that he is, for him to play there for me he would need a really strong and powerful ball winner so we would end up with a pairing similar to that of Tiote and Cabaye with Shelvey playing the Cabaye role but unless Tiote stays which is doubtful then we could struggle to get a suitable partner for Shelvey as Anita,Saivet and Colback for me wouldn’t be strong enough to do for Shelvey what Tiote did for Cabaye, we do also now have Hayden and seeing that he has often been used as a CB then possibly he could be strong enough to do the Tiote role but due to the fact that I have never seen the lad play I don’t know if he would be strong enough, if he isn’t then it could well be Colback alongside Hayden who gives us a strong back bone so where would that leave Shelvey as he isn’t a number 10.

• 7 Spoof // Jul 18, 2016 at 12:23 PM

Our Toon

but apart from that you love him to bits lol

• 8 jimmysmith // Jul 18, 2016 at 12:27 PM

He’s not likely to send him on loan, if he impresses pre season. We really could use him, and would with some urgency should Sissoko leave, and so Widjnaldum play in the middle.

• 9 Tsunki // Jul 18, 2016 at 12:32 PM

Not really that much of a sh sh Thauvin stayed actually. I’m sure he was quoted not so long back as saying he wouldn’t mind coming back to play in the championship for us to prove his ability or some such stuff. Maybe Rafa can show him a road to playing in the English leagues with a bit more confidence. Tbf, he was Subject to a bit of over the top attention from the boo boys when things weren’t necessarily all his fault. Let’s see how Rafa handles this one.

• 10 Our Toon // Jul 18, 2016 at 12:37 PM

Yes mate as you can tell I have a lot of time for him. If he was on 30k or 40k then I’d say keep him but he’s on way more which for a club that’s run on a budget is no good mate

• 11 WWSBRD // Jul 18, 2016 at 12:41 PM

Our Toon
    So u think Shelvey has an attitude problem because? But ud be ok with it if he wasnt being paid as much?

• 12 expatmag // Jul 18, 2016 at 12:42 PM

I actually find him funny to the point of being pathetic.

Never mind mate. Look on the bright side. They add some humour to the blog.

• 13 geordie157 // Jul 18, 2016 at 12:45 PM

He must be applying himself well in training etc. I think Thauvin will prove a lot of his doubters wrong this season, not suggesting he’ll be a key/star player but he has the ability to do well in this league.

• 14 Tsunki // Jul 18, 2016 at 12:51 PM

Well I’ve been off-blog for a while due to life getting in the way ha ha but I see that rather than being Ian or jibs archetypal blog ruiner they seem quite adept at refocusing their nasty attitude on other posters when the arguments seem to be unsatisfactorily fading.

Little carl I see spent a good while complaining about others ruining it with non-footy chatter and bullying while doing exactly that, complete with threats and suggestions of moderation. What a slimy urticating worm. A nice cohort for Jib “I’ll post your bank details and PINS” the scumball racist sniper.

• 15 Spoof // Jul 18, 2016 at 12:54 PM

if he stays and he does do well then he may have saved us a few quid, Aarons and Ritchie are our only two natural wingers which does leave us short especially with Aarons injury record so we could do with Thauvin doing a job for us, even if he does stay here due to Aarons injury record and lack of experience and with Thauvin still unproven in England I would expect another winger to come in, possibly having four natural wingers would be good for competion.

• 16 Tsunki // Jul 18, 2016 at 12:54 PM

Problem with Shelvey is his attitude and mental fragility. When things dont go well in a game his feet change shape to pyramids and his attention drifts to what he is going to play on the xbox later.

• 17 cyprus // Jul 18, 2016 at 12:54 PM

On Shelvey he really is a luxury we can’t afford. Too slow, poor tackler, rare excellent long balls, too much pointing. I was nevera fan, thought he was a weak link at both his previous clubs. Would’ve loved to have been proven wrong. I wasn’t.

Rafa bravely benched him while he was captain.
    Before you get upset if you like him:
    I hope he can hack it in the championship and be a star. He likes to get stuck in, we’ll need that.

For his transfer fee and salary, we probably got nailed.

• 18 Jail for Ashley // Jul 18, 2016 at 12:55 PM

Posts being moderated do not appear as post 15 after 14, they would appear way down the line after they had been ‘moderated’.

• 19 Jail for Ashley // Jul 18, 2016 at 12:56 PM

Or in this case 18.

• 20 Spoof // Jul 18, 2016 at 12:58 PM

just leave it mate as posts like your own @14 just kick it off again, please just don’t make those kind of posts and let football dominate the forum, cheers !

• 21 Yo-yo // Jul 18, 2016 at 12:59 PM

Funny thing is that if Thauvin did come good, he’d take some of the pressure of us for a new winger.

I’d prefer to see Rafa carry on and get the CBs right

• 22 Jail for Ashley // Jul 18, 2016 at 12:59 PM

As for quality posters, when you have a poster like Lilongwe or hibbitt sticking a good word in for you and carl. Ian etc with welshgeordie9, Jib and the physocopath Bobbybee having a go at you, I know I won’t be changing my writing style for a good while yet.

• 23 jayphoto // Jul 18, 2016 at 1:02 PM

@spoof – reckon Rafa could use him the way he used Xabi Alonso, as him and shelvey are similar in style
    His attitude has seemed ok to me at Newcastle, hes said the right things and got on with it. I’ll not hold his wages against him as I’m not the clubs accountant and his pay is irrelevant as its not bearing on his position in the side or ability. Too many get bogged down with what we pay in or out in wages and transfer fees

• 24 Tsunki // Jul 18, 2016 at 1:10 PM

Thanks for the advice Spoof but as I’m usually a prime target of such characters, the fact I haven’t posted in a good while and they are still choosing others to cause mischief with is good reason to mention. And you couldn’t be more wrong if you think not posting comments like mine would make them stop their antics. I think the worst posters are the ones who see what they are doing and engage with them under the guise of “ignore them and they won’t etc..” which actually equates to cowardly capitulation and cowering in case they start on them as well.

Have a scan over jibs posts for example and notice the random insults out of nowhere when he thinks certain posters are away from the blog. You think they will stop if you ‘just talk about footy?’ hmmm. Not really.

• 25 Hail Wor Ashley // Jul 18, 2016 at 1:11 PM

Shelvey will dominate the Championship, more sure of that than ever given his commitment to shedding some of his excess weight. Mobility and stamina were his main weaknesses and it sounds like he’s acknowledged that and taken steps to address it.

Far and away the best playmaker we have. Under Rafa’s guidance, his head seemingly being screwed tight by his dropping last season, there’s no reason why he won’t become more consistent and affective throughout the 90mins.

Doesn’t need to be the fittest or most mobile, he’ll never be a Kante. Likes of Gerrard and Carrick were only 6/10 athletes by PL standards, but that’s all that is required when your passing/vision/technique is 9/10. Shelvey last season was a 3/10 at best when it came to stamina/mobility and that was his failing.

• 26 Spoof // Jul 18, 2016 at 1:17 PM

I’ve had enough for the day, I’m off to a football blog where football is the topic and not a blog where people are making pathetic excuses so they can cause disharmony, your all as bad as each other but for some reason you cannot see that you are actually doing exactly the same as those who you criticise.

• 27 firebug666 // Jul 18, 2016 at 1:18 PM

I think Shelvey’s attitude is already changing, he got himself a personal trainer over the hols, and started to lose a bit of belly.

It looks like he is making an effort and going to push to get back into contention, he still has a lot to do and will have to prove his worth to Rafa, if he can get back to good passing and movement instead of standing still and pointing he could be an asset for us in this fizzy pop league, but it is up to him.

• 28 NoahJ // Jul 18, 2016 at 1:19 PM

I always thought Thauvin was never given a fair chance at Newcastle. Mclaren clearly didn’t want him there.

If we’re not going to get back what we paid for him then it makes perfect sense to give him a go

• 29 Tsunki // Jul 18, 2016 at 1:20 PM

See ya Spoof. This is a nufc blog btw, not a football one.

• 30 Nufc-83 // Jul 18, 2016 at 1:21 PM

Shelvey has definately got a little bit of a bad attitude which was displayed alongside most others (such as gini and Moussa) when he was hiding in games not moving to receive the ball.

Shelvey in terms of ability is probably one of the best in the squad in my opinion. It’s blatantly obvious why he didn’t fo well last season and it begs belief that nobody has mentioned the main reason yet. Please someone who actually has a clue list the reason why shelvey was not at all effective last season!!

• 31 Tsunki // Jul 18, 2016 at 1:21 PM

Spoof have you tried. 🙂

• 32 Belfast // Jul 18, 2016 at 1:22 PM

I haven’t posted in a while = I’ve been moderated for a while. 😉

• 33 firebug666 // Jul 18, 2016 at 1:24 PM

Nufc-83 @30

In a nut shell, none of the team were good, we lacked direction and leadership, nobody was bothered to tell their team mate to pull their socks up.

Good players, poor tactics, poor fitness, no heartbeat, no soul and all around lack of desire to win.

• 34 goommy // Jul 18, 2016 at 1:49 PM

He need a chance. We all know even Messi will fall down under Mcclaren tactic XD

• 35 blacksmith // Jul 18, 2016 at 3:37 PM

I remember Colo and Jonas struggled in their first season. A season in the Championship helped them immeasurably. In Jonas’ case he adapted his game to be more of a workhorse. I think Thauvin has the skill but if he can channel that warrior mentality, can be effective in England.
    I wouldn’t sell or loan unless the deal was perfect. I think a season in the championship will help his confidence and help him acclimatize so we can get some use out of him.

previous post: Rafa Benitez Confident Of New Signing Before Wednesday