The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Can The Local Lad Make It This Season?

3:54 pm, Tuesday, July 19th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 115 Comments

One of the questions that Rafa Benitez still has to answer is whether he will use 19 year-old local lad Adam Armstrong in the first team in the Championship this coming season.

Rafa had said earlier this month that it’s good to bring through the local players, but they have to be good enough, so we don’t really know what Rafa is thinking.

But Adam should get an opportunity once he’s fully fit to show Rafa what he can do both in training and in some of the preseason friendly games.

adam armstrong newcastle gray

Adam Armstrong – wants to play in Championship

Adam picked up an injury while playing for the England U-19 side in Mexico so he was not fit to be in the European U-19 Championships in Germany.

But Newcastle goalkeeper Freddie Woodman is starting in the England side and they take on Italy in the semi-finals of the tournament on Thursday.

Here’s what Adam has said in the local press:

“I’ve been back in training.” “It’s feeling good.” “I’ve been strengthening it in the gym.”

“It was disappointing not to go to the European Championships, but I’m supporting them.”

“It’s been really good. It’s good to get away and have a good week’s work. The lads are all bonding and getting on well.”

“It’s felt great being back. As a Newcastle lad, to come back and put a Newcastle top on in training and see all the lads is a really good feeling.”

“It gives us a bit of a buzz.” “It’s the same for every player.” “You’ve just go to train hard and put a marker down all the way through pre-season and see where it takes you.”

“I played in League One, and I think I’m past that. I did well there, so the next step is the Championship.” “I’ll have to see what happens.”

Maybe Adam will get a run-out tomorrow night against Doncaster Rovers at the Keepmoat Stadium in the second friendly of preseason and a chance to prove he’s good enough for Newcastle for next season.

We would love to see Adam make a contribution to Newcastle this season and help us get promoted!

Note: Reader Sean Pigott is taking part in an Ultra white collar boxing event in Aberdeen on the 10th of September this year and collecting for Cancer Research UK, because many of his family have suffered from the terrible disease.

Sean has set up a justgiving page here if you can possibly donate to a very good cause.

Tags: Adam Armstrong · Championship · Coaching · Newcastle News · Pre-season · Premier League

115 responses so far ↓

• 1 Mister Tuff // Jul 19, 2016 at 3:57 PM

No – too early for him – assess again in January.

• 2 jib follower // Jul 19, 2016 at 4:02 PM

Sorry i disagree

• 3 Goromagpie // Jul 19, 2016 at 4:04 PM

Loan him to Blackburn and get Hanley or the other centre back in ASAP

• 4 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 19, 2016 at 4:14 PM

Unless he pulls up a few trees in a couple of freindlies, id say half season loan to a lower champs club (a team expecting to be battling for survival) and give him his shot in January. I am ONLY saying this because of the rotten timing of the injury. If he’d been at the u19 euros, and performed as he apparently often does, then he’d probably have secured a squad place imo

• 5 GeordieTwo // Jul 19, 2016 at 4:46 PM

That’s a fine big heed he’s got….

• 6 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 19, 2016 at 4:47 PM

The blog has died

• 7 GeordieTwo // Jul 19, 2016 at 4:52 PM

If Rafa judges players by hat size then Adam will be our lead striker! It’s not dead, it’s just resting YCMIU mate. Harrumph….

• 8 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jul 19, 2016 at 4:54 PM

blog died because nowt is happening.

Nowt in Nowt oot!

Only news….latest – Press Association Sport…

Newcastle have still yet to receive what they deem is an acceptable offer for reported £25million Liverpool target Georginio Wijnaldum.

• 9 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jul 19, 2016 at 4:55 PM

I it’s owa bloody het in the TOON to do owt!

• 10 GeordieTwo // Jul 19, 2016 at 4:56 PM

Another snippet from Rafa courtesy of your Official Senior Blog Journo:
    G2: Rafa, what can you tell us about your quest for a decent CB to bring in?
    Rafa: I can tell you nothing G2! You must be patient and trust me. Don’t speak to me of this again!
    G2: Ahhh. Well then Rafa, what about Sissy and Wini? Are they keen on staying to help us back up?
    Rafa: G2 you are trying my patience. This is another subject we will not speak of again! And don’t call me Rafa!
    G2: I see….. well then could we talk about your plans for the tea lady?
    Rafa: No. Definitely not.

• 11 GeordieTwo // Jul 19, 2016 at 4:58 PM

Rafa and I are really working on our relationship….

• 12 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jul 19, 2016 at 5:01 PM

Durham bt Lancs by two wickets in the cricket

• 13 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 19, 2016 at 5:02 PM

Divvent complain about the hot weather. We hardly get any 😀

• 14 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 19, 2016 at 5:03 PM

Yeah i have been keeping track of the cricket. Did thier best to lose in the end

• 15 Laurent Robert The Legend // Jul 19, 2016 at 5:07 PM

Thanks Mister Tuff for the info..Can I you or jail share your mail id with me? So that i can communicate further with you guys..also let me search for the official mail id to mail them about the tickets.

• 16 goommy // Jul 19, 2016 at 5:08 PM

We have Ayoze, Gayle, Mitro and Rafa play one striker plan. So no, not this season.

• 17 GeordieTwo // Jul 19, 2016 at 5:09 PM

Just looking back again at that 2009-2010 season We finished with a +55 goal difference. 102 points. 90 goals for, 35 against. Lost only 4 times. Top goal scorers Carroll and Nolan with 17 apiece. Looking forward to seeing us surpass that.

• 18 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jul 19, 2016 at 5:10 PM

True that’s true – Durham – bit like the TOON always trying ta hoi it away

Wetha- owa het for me – be alreet for the Spanish lads bit like home from home… for a day!

• 19 Mister Tuff // Jul 19, 2016 at 5:17 PM

Laurent Robert the Legend – thanks for the reply.
    Lee Marshalls email :-
    Supporter Liaison Officer Lee Marshall:

Unfortunately I have a policy not to reveal any of my personal details to anyone on line. For obvious reasons.
    However if you have a query post on here and I’m sure you will be helped.

• 20 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 19, 2016 at 5:17 PM

It’s beer garden weather. Although i’m on the wagon for at least a couple of weeks. I need to dry out before the 2 week factory shut down.

• 21 Laurent Robert The Legend // Jul 19, 2016 at 5:21 PM

No worries with that and thanks for the official mail id. I’ll get in touch with them. I’ll post any additional queries if I have here..thanks again.

• 22 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jul 19, 2016 at 5:22 PM

Be Canny doon the Toon Tonight. Be some bonnie states – beer and the sun

• 23 Laurent Robert The Legend // Jul 19, 2016 at 5:24 PM

I hope to catch some of you guys in the stadium..probably you can teach a song or too to chant..

• 24 Laurent Robert The Legend // Jul 19, 2016 at 5:24 PM

• 25 GeordieTwo // Jul 19, 2016 at 5:37 PM

I don’t know if Armstrong can make it this season. But the better he plays the more he’ll push the other strikers to play well. It’s a win-win.

• 26 Mister Tuff // Jul 19, 2016 at 5:41 PM

See the Chronic are reporting that we may keep Thauvin this season and get an attacking midfielder to replace Gini and another attacking forward.
    His time will come – not just yet though.

• 27 Mister Tuff // Jul 19, 2016 at 5:42 PM

Armstrong that is.

• 28 Jib // Jul 19, 2016 at 6:06 PM

Moussa Sissoko is telling the French media that he is flattered by PSG’s interest but he wants to carry on in the PL.
    He thinks his talent and experience would be wasted in Ligue 1

• 29 Jib // Jul 19, 2016 at 6:06 PM

• 30 Jib // Jul 19, 2016 at 6:25 PM

Ha ha ha the German media call Jurgen – KLOPPO

• 31 SUTTY1978 // Jul 19, 2016 at 6:45 PM

Everyone seems happy for Aarons to be in the squad but not all happy with Armstrong, which seems a bit surprising when he has a full season under his belt.
    Suppose the downside is if he doesn’t get games, 5 mins here or there won’t do him any good. He did blow a bit hot and cold last season but so did Coventry as a team. Nimble skilful players can score a bucket load in the championship, on a similar note that’s why we should keep Wijnaldum. Any replacement we could get wouldn’t be half the player

• 32 jib follower // Jul 19, 2016 at 6:55 PM

Give him the chance the man deserves

• 33 SPRINGY // Jul 19, 2016 at 7:04 PM

rafa was hoping to have new players before the match tomorrow,is there anything in the pipeline….its been fairly quiet?

• 34 jazzyp // Jul 19, 2016 at 7:10 PM

Jack all mate. Either Rafa has loads of rabbits in the hat.Or the Rafalution has derailed

• 35 SPRINGY // Jul 19, 2016 at 7:17 PM

im not overly fussed about gini and sissoko,they obviously dont want to stay, so get what we can for them,and i think some who are singing there praises to keep them need to remember they were part of a relegated side and in sissoko has been struggling for years….they may go on and be decent for a side near the top of the league,but they have struggled to show form at the bottom of the league and obviously dont fancy the lower league and if promoted we will need players who dont struggle at the bottom of the league for a while at least till we make the next step.

• 36 lesh // Jul 19, 2016 at 7:18 PM

Sissoko’s arrogance is really beyond a joke.

PSG, one of the biggest and richest clubs in the world and he’s flattered. Who the hell does he think he is, Ronaldo? Messi?

• 37 SPRINGY // Jul 19, 2016 at 7:20 PM

jazzy p
    seen a little bit of that left back mentioned today in the play offs looked decent but a little light weight but very attack minded…..never know… we may get some nice surprises the morra.

• 38 jazzyp // Jul 19, 2016 at 7:40 PM

Would have loved Reece Oxford to be honest mate.
    Looks like he’s off to Man city tho so gonna be another wasted English talent that disappears down the drain.
    On Gini personally mate I would keep him. He’s not mouthed off like Moussa has.There is no need to sell either as we haven’t really spent any transfer kitty yet plus he’s on a long contract.

If he’s that bad then how come big clubs are willing to pay big bucks for the guy.
    Let’s not forget he was played all over the park and never really cemented in a position due to the fact that McLaren’s tactics hindered his natural talent

• 39 lesh // Jul 19, 2016 at 7:40 PM

If and when Sissoko the Great returns to SJP after his rest (well, his mouth’s certainly not taking a break), I wouldn’t be surprised if Rafa forces him to train by himself.

Unless he firmly commits to Newcastle United, Rafa’ll have him rot rather than poison the dressing room. Maybe Rafa could loan him out to some club in say, Syria?

This is likely to become very very messy.

• 40 Our Toon // Jul 19, 2016 at 7:49 PM

Those that won’t to leave…..tough because you got us in this mess. You are staying and can leave next season, except for sissoko if we get the right money…..get rid of the idiot

• 41 Belfast // Jul 19, 2016 at 8:13 PM

For all we know Gini could be throwing his toys outa the pram. (Privately)

• 42 Our Toon // Jul 19, 2016 at 8:19 PM

Most of them could be throwing toys out of the pram privately….problem is they created the mess so they should be forced to stick around and suck it up.

Only ones I’d get rid of are Janmaat and Sissoko, sissoko for the right price and Janmaat for anything as he’s got no heart

• 43 Belfast // Jul 19, 2016 at 8:24 PM

Sissoko isn’t very bright like. I worked that out a while ago to be honest. He also couldn’t really give a shit what people think.

Gini is probably just the opposite, although I wouldn’t rule out a very public get me outa here speech if he’s still here with only a week to spare.

• 44 Yo-yo // Jul 19, 2016 at 8:27 PM

Sissoko gives himself 10/10. So he lacks critical faculties or has an overweening ego. I’d have given him a 7 or 8 – and France did flatter to deceive at times too…

• 45 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 19, 2016 at 8:28 PM

Cannot wait for Sissoko to go !! He performs in about 10 games a season and people say we cant replace him?

If we could get a left back , left winger and another attacking midfielder we will have a much better team than if he stayed with us !

• 46 Our Toon // Jul 19, 2016 at 8:29 PM

I ignore sissoko and what he says, don’t understand why so many get worked up about it

• 47 jazzyp // Jul 19, 2016 at 8:31 PM

More good news… We’re getting rid of the Wonga logo that blights the shirt next season

• 48 Our Toon // Jul 19, 2016 at 8:31 PM

That’s the problem though, who you going to get?

Are we gonna buy players that’ll do well in the prem with that money now? I don’t think so, instead of being bitter about what he says let’s think of it logically, we are in the championship and won’t attract class players. Journeymen and young talent is the best we can do

• 49 Our Toon // Jul 19, 2016 at 8:32 PM

That’s the best news mate, hate seeing that logo and worst of all fans actually buy it

• 50 jazzyp // Jul 19, 2016 at 8:39 PM

Our toon
    Me to pal. Never liked the Northern rock either moniker either.
    Both represent a fiscal screw of the general public that we seemed happy to have as our sponsor

• 51 jazzyp // Jul 19, 2016 at 8:45 PM

Lucas Leiva in part exchange for Gini…. No thanks

• 52 Yo-yo // Jul 19, 2016 at 8:46 PM

Our Toon

The Rafa factor comes into play here. He’ll attract some decent players who’ll stay when we get back up.

• 53 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 19, 2016 at 9:03 PM

@Our Toon

Well that comes down to Rafa and his scouting contacts for who we will sign with the Sissoko money! We haven’t had a functioning team for years if we can get proper players in each position so we have balance then no one will even care that he is gone !

He was a nobody when we signed him for under 2 million a few seasons ago! So we will be able to sign other players and develop them no bother!

• 54 Harley // Jul 19, 2016 at 9:26 PM

My thoughts on today’s articles.

Sissoko and winaldum will def be sold and I believe even without them the squad is more than capable of winning the league. I’d like to keep the money for when we come back up as we’ll need it a lot more then.

Anita has never let us down. Since he signed he’s been played all over and never given a full run in the team. He’s never complained once and just gone about his job and always played ok.

Armstrong to me feels like a no brainer. He’s scored 20 goals in 40 games for Coventry in league 1. Now he’s playing for one of the best managers in the world, for his local team, alongside far superior players, for the club with the shortest odds ever to win that league. Surely he has to be given a chance.

• 55 Ian Toon // Jul 19, 2016 at 9:29 PM

LCBP- He was far from being a nobody. Sissoko went on strike at Toulouse, to secure a £1.7m move in January 2013 to us. Carr had been actively scouting him for more than 18 months. He was a full French International from around 2010.

• 56 Jail for Ashley // Jul 19, 2016 at 9:37 PM

Not only do I think we’ll win the division without them but I think we’ll have a better chance of it. Good riddance.

• 57 Ian Toon // Jul 19, 2016 at 9:44 PM

Harley- I do hope you’re wrong. Players of their midfield quality are not easily replaced. Gini’s goal potential in particular would not easily be replaced given that were a Championship side. We’ve suffered as a team in the recent past by not building a team something that will be essential if we have Premier League aspirations.

• 58 Yo-yo // Jul 19, 2016 at 9:45 PM

Totally agree about Anita. He has a very professional attitude and would be a good role model for some of the younger guys.

• 59 Yo-yo // Jul 19, 2016 at 9:48 PM

No good carrying passengers wanting away. Likely to affect their performances too much. Resentment at not getting that dreamed of transfer is not a good motivator – whoever is manager.
    It’s no accident Rafa is recruiting guys with a determined work ethic and high work rate.

• 60 Jail for Ashley // Jul 19, 2016 at 9:57 PM

I wasn’t prepared to accept finishing tenth under McCardew as it was not building towards anything but trying for tenth again, I will be over the moon if we get promoted and then finish tenth under Rafa in our first season back as he won’t be coming out and saying we over achieved this year so we better aim for twelfth next season. If we finish top ten ten then the natural thing to do would be to target top six, Rafa is not here to put himself in the shop window for the likes of WBA and C Palace, he is here to put us back on the map.

• 61 Bobbybee // Jul 19, 2016 at 10:02 PM

Harley, nail on the head re Arma. Rafa likes to mold players and with Arma’s natural talent and Rafa’s coaching ability, he could turn Arma into the player I’ve always maintained he will become – world class. He’s far from the finished product and he’s already quality. I trust Rafa to see the massive potential and keep him. Why risk allowing an inferior coach to take him forward when we’ve got the best? Rotation has to be used anyway, so all the forwards will get their chance.

• 62 scout // Jul 19, 2016 at 10:12 PM

222 games for Liverpool Lucas and we’re in the Championship and people saying no thanks. You lot need to wake up.

• 63 Harley // Jul 19, 2016 at 10:15 PM

Ian toon

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love both of them to come out and say they love the club and want to stay and get us back. But obviously that’s never gonna happen so let’s get as much as pos and use it for when we come back up.

Yo yo

An average Anita with a good attitude will be worth so much more than a top player who doesn’t want to be here. Agree, he’s a great role model for new team members.

I can’t wait to see what Armstrong can do in this league.

• 64 Ian Toon // Jul 19, 2016 at 10:15 PM

It’s a common held view but not one I share. I personally think Benitez recognises star quality and that he has the experience and motivation to manage. He sees such types not as being difficult but different. He will view the challenge as well worthwhile. If nothing else he will not let them go without a battle.

Numerically they can be replaced but were a Championship side. I see the blueprint to be that of KK who saw what was required at a higher level and undertook a building programme over a few seasons. You gain little by selling your best players . In particular when the market shows massively escalating fees going forward.

• 65 Bobbybee // Jul 19, 2016 at 10:16 PM

I used to think Liverpool carried Lucas, but then decided to watch him rather than the game. I was shocked. Interceptions, well timed tackles and still an ability to make killer long passes made me realise how he ran the midfield, allowing others to do the pretty work. Have him tomorrow if he’ll come. Top grafter.

• 66 Bobbybee // Jul 19, 2016 at 10:19 PM

Harley, I think I already know the answer – rip it up big style. 😉

• 67 jimmysmith // Jul 19, 2016 at 10:21 PM

Man U to bid 100 mil for Pogba and offer him 250k a week. He’s not that far removed from Sissoko. It’s understandable he wants a piece of it. He’s 26 and capable, and coming off a terrific euro’s. “Carpe Diem”, seize the day, you only live once, and he’ll be thinking this maybe will be his only chance at a truly top career, one Newcastle can’t realistically offer him, and he’ll be thinking very much of his his family too.

It doesn’t look so great purely from our perspective, but from others it’s understandable, even admirable, and after 3 and a half years the club of course will make an immense profit. I can’t bring myself to hold it against him.

Benitez and Ashley are right though in my view if they would rather keep him though. We really couldn’t afford to lose both him and Widjnaldum, without putting a large dent in our promotion prospects, and our prospects going forward beyond that.

• 68 HarriboNo9 // Jul 19, 2016 at 10:24 PM

I can’t believe what some of you guys are saying about Armstrong! As soon as someone gets a bit of self belief yous are all saying he’s big headed ???? All he is saying is he played really well in league one and feels he’s good enough for a step up which is what everyone on here also thinks so would you rather him say I’m shite and should stay in league one ? Cmon on guys support and boost his self belief rather than mok him, we all know with him being a huge toon fan he will read this blog

• 69 jimmysmith // Jul 19, 2016 at 10:33 PM

Lucas is very good, but do we need another holding mid, and would he come. Ibe would have been the much better fit.

• 70 jimmysmith // Jul 19, 2016 at 10:34 PM

It is undeniable though that Arma does have an enormous heed. How’s his heading?

• 71 Bobbybee // Jul 19, 2016 at 10:35 PM

Harribo, it doesn’t matter what people say on here. The majority haven’t had the pleasure of seeing him play in the skin. A lot will change their mind when he starts banging them in. I take it you know how good he is and is going to be? So will Rafa mate. It’s not big headed, it’s answering a question honestly. He’s ready. He’ll get his chance and he’ll take that chance. A lot of local lads get criticised unfairly, something I’ve never got. He’ll change their minds. 😉

• 72 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 19, 2016 at 10:36 PM

Also are people really turning their noses up at Lucas??

He would be immense as our holding midfielder providing experience and leadership that we are badly lacking!

• 73 Harley // Jul 19, 2016 at 10:40 PM

Off topic but does anyone else feel Aston villa don’t deserve their 2nd favourite fjr promotion slot with the bookies?

I see a team with hardly any saleable assets, a moral as low as ive ever seen in a team, a crowd that has a completely turned on them, probably that worst team in premier league history and a manager is have been devastated to sign.

They’ve been perennial relegation candidates for about 6 seasons and have rattled through a load of managers, none of whom have been able to turn them round.

I fear Norwich far more than Villa.

• 74 jimmysmith // Jul 19, 2016 at 10:40 PM

Lucas in, and let Tiote go perhaps. I’m a Tiote fan, but there is a good argument to say that after relegation you need to freshen things up.

• 75 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 19, 2016 at 10:41 PM

Would love Arma to get a shot with Mitrovic in a 442 with Richie and Aarons providing the chances !

• 76 martoon // Jul 19, 2016 at 10:42 PM

HarriboNo9 @68 erm I think if you re-read the comments you will see that people were taking the p*ss out of his hairstyle and the angle of the photo which makes his head look, er well, big they were not talking about his attitude.

• 77 Bobbybee // Jul 19, 2016 at 10:42 PM

It’s full of know how marra. 😉 See how well he times those runs? Reads the game? With a right foot that scored 12 and a left foot that scored nine last season, he uses his head for thinking. 😉

• 78 jib follower // Jul 19, 2016 at 10:42 PM

Darlo 2 makems 0 laughable if true

• 79 Bobbybee // Jul 19, 2016 at 10:44 PM

Sounds tasty lee! Can’t see us playing 4231 at home, so 442 might come into it. Expect the goals to flow if they play together.

• 80 jimmysmith // Jul 19, 2016 at 10:45 PM

Yes, it can only be to his advantage. haha. The sale of Cisse gives him his opportunity.

• 81 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 19, 2016 at 10:46 PM

I actually think Villa will struggle big time this season Di Matteo is massively overrated as a manager as well !

He did win the Champions League but it was the luckiest win going and he has been found out before and after that job! They haven’t really signed anyone either and still have the same fools as they had last season!

I just hope we spank them at St James’s park

• 82 Bobbybee // Jul 19, 2016 at 10:48 PM

JF, it was 2-0 but ended up 2-4. According to sky sports sunlun fielded a strong side including defoe and adam johnson!!! Whoops! 😉

• 83 SPRINGY // Jul 19, 2016 at 10:50 PM

would only get lucas in if we are to lose one of our cm,at 29 would prefer to get a younger player in to gel and hopefully play together with the team.

• 84 Bobbybee // Jul 19, 2016 at 10:51 PM

I see villa are closing their upper sections to make the ground look full. The loyalty brings a tear to the eye. 😉

• 85 Bobbybee // Jul 19, 2016 at 10:54 PM

His sort of experience in the middle of the park though springy? 29 ain’t old for a dm anyway. Worth a look imo.

• 86 Harley // Jul 19, 2016 at 10:56 PM

Me too. I’ll always regret though totally messing up the opportunity to sing “we’ll meet again” to them towards the end of last season. I’d waited 7 years for that and we blew it.
    Hopefully it will come back around one day.

• 87 Bobbybee // Jul 19, 2016 at 11:01 PM

Harley, sing it in February marra, we’ll likely be so far head of them by then it will be valid. 😉

• 88 SPRINGY // Jul 19, 2016 at 11:02 PM

i just think we have enough with anita,colback,tiote,hayden,shelvey for this season…no doubt rafa will look to get better quality in these positions once promoted….if it does’nt affect the money part of the deal to much then aye maybe.

• 89 Bobbybee // Jul 19, 2016 at 11:06 PM

Short and sweet tonight, busy day tomorrow so i’ll say goodnight. Might wake up tomorrow with a massive new signing to celebrate.

• 90 SPRINGY // Jul 19, 2016 at 11:07 PM

later bobby

• 91 lesh // Jul 19, 2016 at 11:09 PM

Now the Bobby bonny lad.

People were worried about you. Why? Because Ed’s Arma post was up for hours before you surfaced. Your antenna must need a service if they didn’t alert you!

Keep a haad

• 92 lesh // Jul 19, 2016 at 11:15 PM

Sissoko’s ambition’s understandable and I’m sure acceptable to most.

However, his behaviour in drawing attention to himself isn’t. He’d have been best advised to play well and keep quiet for the media.

• 93 jimmysmith // Jul 19, 2016 at 11:34 PM

Arma is quite possibly world class in his age group, and that all but guarantees a professional career at an upper level. Whether that’s in the epl and at Newcastle remains to be seen. He will have weaknesses, and he will need to work on them as well as continue to develop his strengths. The caution, even skepticism, of onlookers is appropriate, although criticism doesn’t do any good. Confidence is paramount. It’s essential he have it.

• 94 jimmysmith // Jul 19, 2016 at 11:38 PM

Yeah, that aspect of all this is a bit lacking in class, but sometimes you need to get stuck in, boots n all, or you miss out on your share, and that’s far worse than ruffling a few feathers.

• 95 Our Toon // Jul 20, 2016 at 12:26 AM

When I read on this blog about Lucas it makes me laugh, he’s a very good player and would add to our team in terms of quality. Does anyone actually think he’ll want to make the move and drop down to the championship? He’s being linked with us as he was a rafa player previously

Much like the Ibe issue earlier in the window which is why I say keep the likes of sissoko and Gini as they won’t be replaced. Those who think we have enough without them make me laugh as well. We play 46 league games In a very competitive league, look at Hull’s team they struggled and made it through the playoffs. This league in incredibly tough and teams playing us will treat us like a cup final.

If anyone thinks this will be a cake walk next season then they’ve clearly not thought this through. 46 games, we need a bigger squad and quality in that squad especially with injuries that we will get….so put your differences aside with those players wanting out as ultimately it affects our chances in the long run.

Hull’s first XI

Elmo, Dawson, Davies, Robertson
    Livermore, Huddlestone
    Snodgrass, Diame, maloney

That is not a bad side for the championship and they should have won it. This season will be tough make no mistake!! Arrogance will cost us promotion

• 96 jimmysmith // Jul 20, 2016 at 12:43 AM

If I were Benitez I think I’d be fronting Ashley and telling him we need to give one or both of Sissoko and Widjnaldum, and perhaps others the incentive to stay, even to the extent of guaranteeing them they can leave at the end of this season if they want to when the time comes, and for a fair and reasonable offer. No holding out.

• 97 Mister Tuff // Jul 20, 2016 at 2:18 AM

Newcastle = Championship Team.

Hallo – Newcastle = Championship Team.

Sissoko does not want to play Championship Football.
    Hallo out there Sissoko does not want to play Championship Football.

Gini – supposed to be getting Liverpool medical – if true this equates to deal all done and dusted -fees agreed. By by Gini.
    Hallo out there he’s all but gone.

Do not ignore what Rafa has said – words to the effect that Penfold knows we need cover for each position.
    Hallo out there – cover for each position.
    Do not panic.

• 98 jimmysmith // Jul 20, 2016 at 2:24 AM

Neither player has gone yet.

• 99 expatmag // Jul 20, 2016 at 2:57 AM

I reckon by the time the window closes, they will have raked in close on 100 million quid with the sales do far of Townsend Cabella and Cisse and the future ssles of Wijnaldum Sissoko Thauvin Krul Janmaat and Tiote.

We have subsequently spent about 30 millon. Expect another 10 million max. to be apent with so freebies and loans coming in to make up the numbers.

The board will make a net profit of around 60 million quid and along with parachute payment monies, this should sought out salaries for the season with a bit left over after this major cull.

• 100 jimmysmith // Jul 20, 2016 at 3:08 AM

If that happens, and it of course is quite possible, then the chances of an immediate return will be markedly diminished. It’s most important of course we do return immediately, not just from the perspective of revenue, but also to retain Benitez. If Ashley was willing to throw a hundred million at staying in the league, and then hand over so much authority to Rafa, it’s hard to imagine either being willing to gamble unnecessarily now.They won’t be letting good players leave without a fight, or at least without quality replacements lined up, and if they do, God help us.

• 101 expatmag // Jul 20, 2016 at 3:08 AM

Like it or not, they are as good as gone. All that remains in question is for how much.

So far

Cabella…..7.5 m
    Cisse…….5 m

Anticipating the following

That would be about 113m spent.

So far, we have signed

Thats a total of 29m spent

It will be very interesting to see what Ashley will instruct Rafa to do now.

Leopards dont change their spots and I yhink very little more will be spent.

• 102 expatmag // Jul 20, 2016 at 3:14 AM

Quality replacements coming in to replace these lads are going to be difficult to find.

If these lads dont want to stay, they are as good as gone.

Rafa can attract players but how many would be prepared to drop down a division for a season. Clearly the likes of Townsend etc werent/arent and to be honest, I have a strong feeling that we will end up having to rely fringe llayers like Goofy Riviere Ameobi Vukic etc to get us through.

• 103 jimmysmith // Jul 20, 2016 at 3:34 AM

Such a doomsday prediction is entirely contrary to what Rafa has been saying of course, and not at all in the best interests of the club or the side, or the owner. It seems a long bow to imagine Benitez will even be in place come the start of the season should that actually happen. Lose all your best players, and fail to adequately replace them, and there’s little Rafa can do about it, because the owner prefers the cash. Is that it?

• 104 davis_toons // Jul 20, 2016 at 4:03 AM

Put Adam on the bench and see what he can do since he is confidence that he can move upwards.

He might just add in a few important goals.

• 105 lochinvar // Jul 20, 2016 at 4:48 AM

Interesting that Pogba might go to Manure for £100m and they’re not even in the Champions League only the Europa League while Sissoko thinks he can do better ?

• 106 lochinvar // Jul 20, 2016 at 4:58 AM

Jazzyp @47
    Getting rid of the Wonga logo next season ?
    What’s this then ?
    Do you mean the immediate season (16/17) or season after that (17/18) when their deal is up.
    Surely not next season otherwise the news would have everyone dancing in the streets ( embarrassing as they make Geordie dancer look cool ) or has Rafa waved his wand and made the logo disappear , now that would be something.

• 107 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 20, 2016 at 5:34 AM

Is it a real disadvantage with Armstrong that he can’t take throw-ins?

• 108 expatmag // Jul 20, 2016 at 6:07 AM

Anything is possible under Ashley. History shows he behaves for a while before dropping the inevitable bombshell. Rada will be gone by September and JFK will be back to save us……lol

• 109 jazzyp // Jul 20, 2016 at 6:19 AM

Have we not just signed a young Isaac Hayden to play Dm ???.
    Who had an awesome season in the Championship.
    So what would be the point in Lucas when we have Colback and Mr t to boot.

• 110 SUTTY1978 // Jul 20, 2016 at 6:25 AM

Jazzy, don’t think he was that awesome, he only started a handful of games didn’t he?

• 111 jazzyp // Jul 20, 2016 at 6:30 AM

He obviously did something right mate as Bruce tried his best to sign him

• 112 jazzyp // Jul 20, 2016 at 6:32 AM

We have Hayden, Mr T, Colback, Anita all capable of playing in this position.
    Do we really need another Dm ??

• 113 expatmag // Jul 20, 2016 at 6:34 AM

Not forgetting Saviet as well

• 114 cyprus // Jul 20, 2016 at 7:20 AM

The blog is disintegrating.

Discussions, disagreements, but no bitchin’?

Talking about football and little else?

What’s going on man?

• 115 Jib // Jul 20, 2016 at 7:40 AM

Wijnaldum not travelling to the Keepmoat.
    That’s him gone to Merseyside for a medical methinks.

previous post: Newcastle Reported Interested In Croatian Striker