The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Grant Hanley Sighted On Tyneside For Medical – Picture

5:09 pm, Wednesday, July 20th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 19 Comments

Kieth Downie of Sky Sports has just tweeted this picture of Grant Hanley who seems to be leaving the Gateshead Hilton for his medical at Newcastle.

It looks like we agreed a deal for £5.5M plus incentives with Blackburn – this lad can be a great signing for us.

19 responses so far ↓

• 1 Shadow_Shearer // Jul 20, 2016 at 5:11 PM

Hope he does well for us. Despite I can see us selling him in a couple of years for a loss. Hope he does alot better than I think.

• 2 GeordieTwo // Jul 20, 2016 at 5:12 PM

From previous thread. That’s it Mr. Tuff mate. No youtube scouting for me. Let’s see them on the pitch.

• 3 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 20, 2016 at 5:15 PM

Agreed. We have to see all our signings play before we judge.

Not having a go here, but…
    Can we be sure on ANY of our signings,until they play for us? Have you or anyone else REALLY seen enough of any of the new players to be SURE if they will have the quality? In reality, we have to rely on the judgement of the people who scouted and signed them.

• 4 Ron Knee // Jul 20, 2016 at 5:22 PM

So is it Steve or is it Sam?

• 5 jazzyp // Jul 20, 2016 at 5:22 PM

My opinion is that I read Monday 2 polls had been done on Hanley.

To slow and cumbersome. Tends to fade from games.And amazed they got 5-6 mill for him was mentioned many times

• 6 Spoof // Jul 20, 2016 at 5:22 PM

Exactly, you have summed it up perfectly, we just don’t know, we do know the quality which we have lost but do we know the quality of those coming in, of course we don’t, hopefully we will end up with a better team and stronger squad but for me it was a debate worth having as I do get the impression that some, quite a lot actually feel that it will be a certainty, and for me in football there is no such thing.

• 7 GeordieTwo // Jul 20, 2016 at 5:22 PM

Rafa is building carefully within the price range we can afford. The previous gang of idiots spent 10’s of millions on players who couldn’t cut it. That’s at an end now. I don’t see how we can complain considering Rafa is one of the best but has to dig us out of the Championship before he can really go for it.

• 8 jazzyp // Jul 20, 2016 at 5:24 PM

I hope he proves em all wrong and turns in to a cracking player.

• 9 Spoof // Jul 20, 2016 at 5:24 PM

Who’s complaining ?

• 10 Spoof // Jul 20, 2016 at 5:25 PM

Anyway, I must be off, bye for now !

• 11 GeordieTwo // Jul 20, 2016 at 5:27 PM

Is it Steve or is it Sam now?
    Is it Steve or is it Sam now?
    If they sign there will be trouble
    And if they stay it will be double
    So come on and let me know
    Is it Steve or is it Sam now?

• 12 GeordieTwo // Jul 20, 2016 at 5:28 PM

It just seems some have already written Hanley off Spoofy mate. I can’t see that. He might be excellent for us. And if he helps get us back up then he was well worth it.

• 13 GeordieTwo // Jul 20, 2016 at 5:29 PM

Ron mate surely England deserve better than either Big Sam or Brucie? This is ridiculous. Get a decent foreigner in there. Bring back some excitement.

• 14 Ron Knee // Jul 20, 2016 at 5:31 PM

The Beeb says that the FA is ‘close’ to making a decision.

I’d like to see a foreign manager with experience of management in the PL.

• 15 GeordieTwo // Jul 20, 2016 at 5:38 PM

I wonder if we could play three at the back with wing backs? Lascelles, Hanley, and Mbmemba as the CB’s. Gamez and Janmaat or Anita as the wing backs. Ritchie, Shelvey or Tiote,and Colback across the middle. Mitro and Gayle or Perez to start up front. 5-3-2 could be worth a try with the players we have. I think both Wini and Sissy will be off before the end of the window.

• 16 Bambams // Jul 20, 2016 at 5:39 PM

I am not saying Hanley is going to be a great or a flop. …..I have never seen him play.

However a certain Mr Kilcline was in my opinion ‘pound for pound’ an unbelievable signing. He was fantastic and just what we needed in defence at that time.

Hopefully he can be a great signing and do what Rafa obviously believes he can do.

Let’s wait and see

• 17 hibbitt // Jul 20, 2016 at 5:44 PM

not sure bloggers making these comments have seen the lad play very well suited to the CHAMPIONSHIP which we are now a member of
    still young very much a leader on the pitch worth a few goals from set pieces

both Lascelles and Mbemba had there moments last season at lest give the lad a chance to pull the shirt on before you knock him
    and of course you all know what we need better than Rafa that go’s without saying

football manager / fifa has a lot to answer for !!

• 18 jazzyp // Jul 20, 2016 at 5:52 PM

I would say Blackburn fans have a much more informative opinion on Hanley than any Nufc fan

• 19 geordie157 // Jul 20, 2016 at 6:05 PM

Have to say once Hanley is in, that’s six good signings.

Wonder how many more we will sign, would like a left back and another winger.

Splash the Sissoko/Gini money on Charlie Taylor,Robbie Brady and an attacking midfielder and I think we are set.

previous post: Newcastle Get Backing To Win The Championship