The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle’s Achilles Heel Unchanged From Last Four Seasons

12:44 pm, Thursday, July 21st, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 20 Comments

Watching that first half performance last night from Newcastle at Doncaster was like “deja vu – all over again”  to quote a yogism from the former great Yankees catcher Yogi Berra.

It was like watching the last four years of Newcastle when the opposing team could score at any time and sometimes we simply would gift the opposition a goal.

The first goal after 19 minutes was exactly that – a gift – and an embarrassment for new goalkeeper Matz Sels.

Matz-Sels mistake doncaster

Matz Sels gave away a penalty last night

If Matz wants to be the number one goalkeeper at Newcastle he cannot make too many mistakes like that when he miscontrolled the ball and  gave a penalty away when he brought down one of the Doncaster players as he tried to retrieve the ball.

We’re sure that’s exactly what Rafa will be telling him – and he already knows that.

But we also have to remember the lad is only just settling into the team and the country – so we cannot be too harsh on him.

But the second goal was all too reminiscent of the Newcastle defense that conceded 255 goals in the last four Premier league seasons.

That’s an average of over 63 goals a season and simply terrible.

After 45 minutes following a corner no Newcastle player seemed to move at all, as the ball was headed back across the goal form the corner for Andy Williams (Moon River?) to head in unchallenged.

We’re sure Rafa will be playing that video a few times before Saturday’s game in Belgium against KSC Lokeren and instructing the defenders what they should have been doing.

One thing Newcastle must do if we are to get instant promotion back to the Premier League next May is to tighten up an awful lot in defense.

Maybe Rafa still has to bring in another defender once Grant Hanley (hopefully) signs on the dotted line today.

We need at least a left-back and maybe another tall strong central defender brought in?

We cannot give goals away like we did last night if we are to have a successful season in the Championship.

Tags: Coaching · Financials · Matz Sels · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

20 responses so far ↓

• 1 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 21, 2016 at 12:49 PM

This has taken into account Mitros suspension. I know sdj is injured. This is just a guide

We have a better-than-competent first 11 now for the championship, but it does need additions to push it up to what I would call “favorites to win it”. If our first game was tomorrow, and assuming janmaat, tiote and socks are all sold tonight…..

Rafa’s likely 4231…

Darlow

Gamez
    Mbemba
    Lascells
    Dummet

Hayden
    Shelvey

Ritchie
    Perez
    Aarons

Gayle

Sels, hanley, haidara, anita, arma, SDJ, a.n.other(take your pick)

• 2 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 21, 2016 at 12:52 PM

It looked like Selz was trying to chip the ball over the opposing player very risky play which I am sure that will be the last one of those he is allowed !!

Was a typical Newcastle game last night we had a lot of the play and missed some amounts of chances and gave away cheap goals which then results in us having to chase the whole 2nd half !

• 3 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 21, 2016 at 12:53 PM

Colback probably makes the bench
    Maybe saviet and thauvin if still here.

• 4 John Tudor // Jul 21, 2016 at 12:53 PM

zone marking? crap forget that mark a player if he scores thats your fault. standing jumps vs moving they will do it everytime

• 5 Jib // Jul 21, 2016 at 12:57 PM

I love the irony me.
    Liverpool were one of many PL clubs linked with Wijnaldum last Summer.
    We were the only club that thought his €20 million pricetag fair – so we coughed up the thick end of £15 million.
    Twelve months down the road we make a 40% (after offtakes) profit !
    The outcome could have been better if GW had shown a bit of heart.
    However.
    The clubs judgement has been rewarded.

• 6 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 21, 2016 at 12:58 PM

We deffo need the LB. We should be ok at CB, we have cover now, but I am not against signing another.

We still need to add a creative MF to replace Gini. We’d get away with not replacing sissoko when he goes, use the money we get for him on another striker/forward option imo.

• 7 jazzyp // Jul 21, 2016 at 1:00 PM

Be careful Edd. I mentioned this last night and was lamb lasted for nit picking lol.

• 8 OneAlanShearer // Jul 21, 2016 at 1:01 PM

I am not at all convinced we will walk this league. I also think Hanley could end up being first choice. We need 4 or 5 more once all of Janmaat, Tiote, sissoko, Wijnaldum have gone. I wouldn’t be surprised to see gouffran, Riviere, saivet plus any other dross go. Strip those away and we need 5 more in at least. I’m still hoping Rafa brings in a Spanish playmaker and a top quality striker.

• 9 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 21, 2016 at 1:01 PM

Jazzy

Just how long did your lamb last? 😀

• 10 martoon // Jul 21, 2016 at 1:02 PM

I agree with JT I don’t see one advantage of zonal marking.

• 11 jazzyp // Jul 21, 2016 at 1:08 PM

Ycmiu
    Abt an hour buddy until I got my point across haha

• 12 Joe1987 // Jul 21, 2016 at 1:09 PM

Remy fancy a season on loan you think? ??

• 13 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 21, 2016 at 1:11 PM

Who usually sets up the Blog fantasy premier league? I just made my team, and set up my work league.

• 14 expatmag // Jul 21, 2016 at 1:13 PM

ONE ALAN SHEARER

We cannot afford to get rid of all these players due to drpleting the squad further over a long drawn out season.

I can see Krul Sissoko and maybe Tiote leaving but the others will be needed in one way or another over the season.

• 15 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 21, 2016 at 1:13 PM

Joe

Hahaha yeah I can see that happening, when hell freezes over. No way would ashley offer the type of financial deal that it would take to pull that off 😀

• 16 Joe1987 // Jul 21, 2016 at 1:19 PM

If Charnley let loose surely he will attempt to bring him to the club again only for Remy to reject us for the 15th time haha

• 17 duncandisorderly // Jul 21, 2016 at 1:50 PM

Worth saying that we looked a lot better in the 2nd half, especially with Jesus on for Janmaat. Interestingly Thauvin looked very keen, as did Goufran (which I’m slightly less happy about). Dummett also played at CH rather than FB, which I always thought was his better position

• 18 ToonRich // Jul 21, 2016 at 3:00 PM

duncandisorderly, Sterry came on for Janmaat! Jesus played LB in place of Anita. Would like to see him play at RB, looked to me as though hes more at home with his right foot.

• 19 duncandisorderly // Jul 21, 2016 at 5:01 PM

Haha yes, you’re absolutely right ToonRich! It was hard to see much of the Newcastle defensive work from our position in the 2nd half, other than there were no great scares, so I didn’t really form much of an opinion of Sterry or Hayden but Gamez shone coming forward

• 20 dazza // Jul 21, 2016 at 7:12 PM

At least we didn’t sign this guy.

previous post: Potential Pogba Deal Makes Sissoko £35M Transfer More Likely