The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Potential Pogba Deal Makes Sissoko £35M Transfer More Likely

9:27 am, Thursday, July 21st, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 87 Comments

Manchester United are reported to be close to finalizing a deal for Paul Pogba from Juventus in a transfer worth close to £100M, or even more than that – according to reports today,

In France, L’Equipe are reporting today that a meeting was held yesterday with representatives of both clubs  and  Juventus agreed in principle that they would be willing to sell Paul Pogba and it looks like some agreement has also been reached over the fee.

Moussa Sissoko – could leave for £35M

In addition Paul Pogba has told the Italian club – where he’s been for the last 4 years since signing on as a free agent from Manchester United in 2012 – that he wants to leave the Red Devils.

And there were reports yesterday he had agreed personal terms of £200K/week with Manchester United.

The deal now depends on whether Pogba’s agent Mino Raiola gets the 20% fee he is demanding for the transfer –  and if so which club would pay the staggering £18.4M.

That’s for the transfer of one player?

Has the football world gone mad or has the world gone mad?

If the deal goes through it will leave Juventas flush with cash and we reported yesterday there were reports the Italian club were interested in signing Newcastle’s Moussa Sissoko and Nemanja Matic of Chelsea as potential replacements for Pogba.

With Gini Wijnaldum likely to move to Liverpool after a £25M fee has been agreed, as we reported earlier today, the chances of Newcastle being able to get the full £35M for Sissoko now looks promising.

While we will be sorry to see Gini leave Newcastle, because he’s at least conducted himself professionally this summer – the same cannot be said about Moussa.

We are sick of the Frenchman continually talking about leaving Newcastle for a Champions League club and disrespecting his current club, so it looks like he could soon get his wish to leave Tyneside.

We’d be very happy to see Moussa leave Newcastle for a whopping £35M fee and if the Pogba deal goes through there’s a decent possibility that could be to Juventus.

Here’s hoping.

Tags: Financials · Georginio Wijnaldum · Moussa Sissoko · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

87 responses so far ↓

• 1 RonVanDam // Jul 21, 2016 at 9:32 AM

Let him leave. We should raid the Dutch and German market after Gini’s sale.

• 2 WWSBRD // Jul 21, 2016 at 9:35 AM

60 mill for the invisible man and a lad who never stop talking about leaving…So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, good night, enjoy the bench where ever you end up

We could buy half a team with 60 mill

• 3 Toon_Tom // Jul 21, 2016 at 9:35 AM

£60M for Gini and Sissoko!

• 4 WWSBRD // Jul 21, 2016 at 9:37 AM

Had enough of Dutch players personally zee Germans would be a good place to buy but they arent cheap, I wouldnt rule out young English buys either

• 5 richyg01 // Jul 21, 2016 at 9:42 AM

Wonder if Morinho fancies selling Rashford

• 6 richyg01 // Jul 21, 2016 at 9:43 AM

Cant say I was very impressed with Sels last night like.

I know it was his first game, but he looked very ordinary.

• 7 SuperShearer // Jul 21, 2016 at 9:43 AM

The reality is that if Brexit goes ahead, which it looks like it will, British players are going to be at even more of a premium. We should look to recruit a host of young English lads now. If nothing else they’ll be a sound investment for a few years time.

• 8 jimmysmith // Jul 21, 2016 at 9:43 AM

60 million won’t look so much in next years market, should we go up and have to invest all that and more.

• 9 richyg01 // Jul 21, 2016 at 9:44 AM

That said, he wasnt as bad as the Minnesota United keeper!!

• 10 Jib // Jul 21, 2016 at 9:45 AM

Just get Sissoko sold so the new signings can see the media talking about them , todays men , rather than the history men.

• 11 jimmysmith // Jul 21, 2016 at 9:45 AM

Sell looked a bit ordinary in his youtube highlights reel, which takes some doing. He must have something though, so we’ll see.

• 12 Derek // Jul 21, 2016 at 9:49 AM

It is also very difficult to know how much quality a Championship team like us can attract when everyone’s eyes are on the prize; playing in the Premier League. There is no certainty we will go up straight away

• 13 WWSBRD // Jul 21, 2016 at 9:51 AM

Lets agree to differ then bud but he leaves with a middle finger from me and I hope he rots on Liverpools bench

As for bringing players in with an extra 25 mill we can bring in players who will far exceed Gini’s career in a black and white strip

• 14 WWSBRD // Jul 21, 2016 at 9:53 AM

Nar Ashley may own it but its Rafa’s Newcastle now

• 15 Jib // Jul 21, 2016 at 9:56 AM

“I would hapily see them leave for that money, HOWEVER this is still Mike Ashley’s Newcastle and there is still a good chance a lot of that money won’t be reinvested in strenghening the team in this window, or even next window. ”

The last 2 windows would belie that statement which is about four years out of date.

You been living in a cave Derek ?

• 16 RonVanDam // Jul 21, 2016 at 10:00 AM

Some of the players we should be looking at for the future that could benefit the club in the long run with the money from Gini

Godfred Donsah – CM – Young Ajax midfielder who can grow under Rafa and be ready for the PL when we get promoted
    Victor Andrad – RM – plays for Benfica. aggressive and a smart winger
    Riechedly Bazoer – CM Another player from Ajax. Very sissokoresque (he will be a beast of a midfielder in 3-4 years)
    Andre Silva – Striker. Plays for Porto and will be a helluva player in a few years

• 17 jazzyp // Jul 21, 2016 at 10:05 AM

I hope we don’t get on the wrong side of you lol !!
    The guy goes with my blessing and I hope he shows what a mistake it was to sell him.
    Moussa on the other hand I do feel resentment towards because of his continual admission he wants out, And feels he’s bigger than the club.
    This guy deserves to rot on a bench for his hapless fantasy of being another Cabaye

• 18 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 21, 2016 at 10:07 AM

What was the carry on with Wijnaldum not in the squad and then showing up on the bench?? I hope that wasn’t Ashley or Charnley meddling in football affairs.

• 19 OneAlanShearer // Jul 21, 2016 at 10:08 AM

I just hope we reinvest wisely. I’m far from convinced by any of our central midfield options.

Shelvey could be great if he could be bothered. He has the work rate of a child.
    Colback is average at best.
    Saivet is poor.
    Tiote is injured a lot and I expect will get sold.
    The new lad needs time to settle.
    Gouffran is no central midfielder.
    So ignoring numbers we still need a driving g force and creativity in dm and attacking midfield.

As for wingers.
    Richie is great bUt without him we would look stretched.
    Aarons gets injured a lot and needs to be more consistent.
    Perez should be played as a 2nd striker.

Riviere is rubbish.
    Mitro should start every game but that’s a lot of games so we need good covering as a target man.
    Gayle looks good and perez can cover but I want to see a proven striker join us.

Left back
    I like Dummett more than Haidara but both have had injuries. I’d like a quick player who can defend and cross. Possibly even take corners and free kicks.

I want to see strength in depth but real quality as well.

This may sound daft but if Danny ings is a realistic target for rangers I’d go for him.
    I’d go for will hughes in cm. Look abroad for Spanish flare in attacking midfield.

For me we are 4 or 5 players short with Wijnaldum and likely sissoko gone. Can see Janmaat and tiote being away too.

• 20 jimmysmith // Jul 21, 2016 at 10:11 AM

” Benítez, now hopes to sign the midfielder Lucas Leiva from Liverpool.” Just published by The Guardian. He is the calibre of player we now need, both he, if Shelvey can play in the hole and another winger, two if Thauvin goes.

• 21 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 21, 2016 at 10:11 AM

I know he harps on about Arsenal, but Sissoko to Juventus seems highly plausible. Juve have got the money, Sissoko is a pretty obvious replacement for Pogba, and he (Moussa) is almost certain to get his CL football for as long as he’s there. And I assume he’d get a bump in wages as well, even if it’s not what a top EPL side might pay.

• 22 jazzyp // Jul 21, 2016 at 10:13 AM

Super shearer

I would love nothing more than to have an English core of players, much like Spurs.
    Reece Oxford would be an excellent addition as would young Rico from Walsall.
    I would have a look at Che Adams as well who I saw play quite a few times at Ilkeston.

• 23 WWSBRD // Jul 21, 2016 at 10:13 AM

He was the biggest disappointment of last season for me, sick of watching his gutless performances and his continual hiding. Empty shirt who showed just as much if not more disrespect as Sissoko did except he did in on the pitch rather than in the media, just as deluded as Moussa as he thinks he was great last season. I didnt watch him for PSV but no way he played in the same way or we would never of bought him for such a large sum

Neither warrant well wishes imo

• 24 james589 // Jul 21, 2016 at 10:14 AM

I think £25m is good business for us. £10m profit in a season is good going although clearly an element of that is the general inflation that has occurred as a result of the new TV money for PL teams. We have stuck to our guns and looks like we will be getting the full amount in cash up front, showing other teams that we won’t be strong armed into deals that don’t make sense for us. My only concern would be other clubs may hold us to ransom when looking to buy players as they know the cash we have available.

What is going to be interesting to see now is who we bring in to provide the goalscoring threat from midfield as a replacement. I know Rafa and his team will have done a lot of work on the scenarios of Gini and Moussa leaving so will have replacement targets lined up. The deal has been done early enough to allow us time to source an adequate replacement – we can only hope the same happens with Moussa as let’s be honest there isn’t a cat in hell’s chance he will be with us for the Championship season.

I wish Gina all the best – he has conducted himself professionally since the end of the season and it’s a shame we couldn’t have stayed up as I think Rafa could have really brought him on asale a player. Yes his performances away left a lot to be desired but you can’t deny the potential was there – our top scorer let’s not forget.

As for Moussa I think the sooner we can sort a deal for him the better. I think Rafa would like to keep him given what he said after the Euros and he probably sees him as a bit of a powerhouse but we as fans know the importance of having players who take pride in the shirt and want to play for it – with what Moussa has come out with in recent weeks we know that isn’t him. If we can get £25m for Gini and Juventus can get £100m for Pogba I would be very confident in getting close to the unofficial price tag of £35m. Again it would be intruiging to see who we would bring in but I’m putting my faith in Rafa as I’m sure he has a plan!

• 25 barkel // Jul 21, 2016 at 10:18 AM

Do you really think we’ll get £35million for sissoko? That is mad money, don’t get me wrong i’ll take it but a few days ago we were unsure we could get £20mil.

I’d like to see us get Jeff Hendrick in midfield, had a cracking Euros for Ireland, he wouldn’t be expensive and has plenty of championship experience.

• 26 james589 // Jul 21, 2016 at 10:18 AM

Re. Lucas to toon – did he not pull up with a hamstring injury in their match last night? (Resulting in Liverpool having to play their reserve keeper out pitch having used all 10 of their outfield subs!)

• 27 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 21, 2016 at 10:20 AM

Toon-Prodigy@18 – I wonder if that was Rafa’s subtle way of indicating to Charnley that he wanted him to stop dithering and get the deal done. “Get him sold or I’m playing him” sort of thing.

• 28 carl // Jul 21, 2016 at 10:22 AM

It was inevitable but still a blow because we’re now going to witness him doing well elsewhere. Not one of our own like Gascoigne or Waddle but a talented player who has so much more to offer.
    The Dutch player we should be moving on is Anita. I just don’t see him being anything other than a squad player. He lacks the physicality that Rafa is clearly looking to bring into the defence. By all accounts Dummet did OK and he’s fitter and lighter than he’s been for a long time.

We need a goal scoring creative player who’s going to replace Gini’s goal potential. Additionally we would need a replacement for Sissoko should he go. His intercepting, marauding, counter attacking presence would prove pivotal in the Championship. Not my comment but Pardew’s description of Sissoko’s style of play.

• 29 Derek // Jul 21, 2016 at 10:28 AM

Are you forgetting how many windows prior to the last two where Ashley has owned the club?

Two windows is not much considering 8 years of ownership.

And so because I apparently live in a cave, do you (or anyone) care to enlighten me with any evidence showing that now Rafa is manager, 100% of the money received from sold players will be reinvested in their replacements within the same window?

• 30 gaz 44 // Jul 21, 2016 at 10:35 AM

This was a message from one of my Norwich city fan mates

How on earth have you just got 25 million for him, everyone raves about his 11 goals but if it wasn’t for one game against us where our defence was non existence he would have scored the same as wes holalan who played 10 games less..

Good riddance I say, probably thrive in a Liverpool shirt but he doesn’t want to be here and let’s be honest he’s no Peter Beardsley

• 31 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 21, 2016 at 10:36 AM

Maybe, I hope it was a plan to rush liverpool into bidding and closing the deal. Each game he plays in he would of been at risk of injury. All of a sudden Liverpool cough up the fee within hours of the game last night. It worked.

I just hope it was Rafa’s call and not Charnley or Ashley interfering in the footballing side of things.

• 32 John Tudor // Jul 21, 2016 at 10:37 AM

net spend jib …net spend

• 33 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 21, 2016 at 10:38 AM

carl@28 – My issue with Sissoko in the Championship is not that he wouldn’t be able to take it by the scruff of the neck if he chose to, but simply that I don’t think he’d put in anything more than a token effort. Rightly or wrongly he sees himself as Champions League player, and I think we’ve seen enough of him to know that if his heart’s not in it he’s as good as a man short. And frankly that’s the only way I can envisage it playing out if he doesn’t get his move.

• 34 carl // Jul 21, 2016 at 10:38 AM

Time will tell.

• 35 jazzyp // Jul 21, 2016 at 10:39 AM

Again mate that’s your opinion and I respect that. I personally feel we have lost one of our better players.
    Klopp must see something in the kid and will be in a better set up and playing under a better manager than what we could offer him last season

• 36 Hail Wor Ashley // Jul 21, 2016 at 10:47 AM

£25m for Gini – fantastic!

Now get at least that for Sissoko and we’re laughing. I imagine it’ll end up being £30m and Juve his likely destination.

£55m from them.

Krul can leave for £7m

SDJ we can hopefully recoup about £3-5m from a Dutch team.

Riviere, Gouffran and Haidara for a total of around £5m

£70m and we still have Tiote, Thauvin and Janmaat.

Tiote I’d keep, Janmaat I’m not really bothered about if we could get £7-9m and although I really cannot see anything in Thauvin’s game to make me beleive he’ll ever make the grade, I’m willing him on to prove me wrong, though a bid of around £10m I’d accept.

What are we currently at? £16.5m net spend with Hanley’s arrival?

So after Gini and Sissoko we could be £38.5m in the black.

Put in a £10m bid for Robbie Brady and test Norwich’s resolve.

• 37 Average_Contents // Jul 21, 2016 at 10:49 AM

Maybe the higher ups did want to protect him.

I reckon rafa thought bolloxs to that and tried forcing liverpools hand along the lines of- he couldn’t give two flying….if they were interested, he’s still our player so I’m playing him regardless and they might panic and throw in a bid incase of injury.

It’s no coincidence how that bid went in not 12hrs after he played.

• 38 seantoon // Jul 21, 2016 at 10:49 AM

Jimmysmith yes Lucas pulled his Hamstring last night against Huddersfield which obviously means we won’t be getting him in afraid.. I doubt we would have got him anyway I think Klopp was going to give him another chance. He was captain last night when he went off and also played really well at CB in the first half.. Doubt he would move to the championship

• 39 lochinvar // Jul 21, 2016 at 10:56 AM

It’s starting to look like the perhaps predictable exit of Townsend, Gini and Sissoko has come to pass and that the only difference with previous seasons is that the selling of players has been managed better than before and the deals done on Ashley’s behalf have been profitable.
    These are three strong players on their better days but their unpredictability is their downfall and we need more than that in a combative Championship.

We will have a well crafted team but who will be the say two forceful characters who lead by example and have a presence that influences the team and pressurises the opposition – Tiote ? Hanley ? , Mitro ?

We still need some steel from somewhere – who or when remains to be seen.

• 40 carl // Jul 21, 2016 at 10:56 AM

You give in too easily. What exactly would make Moussa happy – OK aside from signing for Wenger! It is a carrot and Stick situation. Moussa might have reservations about promises previously made so he needs to be sold a whole new deal.

I see him, or a player as I’ve described like him, as worthy of going the extra yards. This could be a financial inducement to perform over a limited period or until such time as we achieve certain goals.

It could be that Rafa has a fail safe plan in mind but he strikes me S the sort who has options going forward . We might need to go down the mercenary route rather than simply throw in the towel. Rafa created a mindset that Sissoko took into the Euro’s. With his sale price rising it might well suit us to negotiate for a player exchange. We simply don’t know what options are out there.

With respect, I know it’s hugely funny to paint Charnley as an incompetent jerk but this window he and Rafa seem to be doing a good job. Better together!

• 41 Average_Contents // Jul 21, 2016 at 11:00 AM

Haha, just read through the comments and others have come to that conclusion too.

I also find it incredulous that because rafa was in Ireland wirh the squad that penfold couldn’t get anything done, rafa returns and hanleys basically in the bag. Useless no necked spunktrumpet.

Anyone think we need more cb’s aswell as the Hanley signing?

More league games plus cup ones too. We’ve let colo and Taylor go, willo got sold and never replaced so that’s 3 down and only one in. We have cover but we need specialist cb’s imo, not someone who can ‘do a job” in that position.

A striker, lb, and attack minded midfielder now gini’s on his way wouldn’t go amiss either.

• 42 Jail for Ashley // Jul 21, 2016 at 11:01 AM

Can any of the people who have not been inspired by our signings this summer, and there are a few, please explain to me the type of playersigning they would have realistically liked to have signed.
    Out of those we thought might leave the only one so far I’m disappointed about is Townsend as I thought he’d be staying after the noises he was making.

• 43 Jail for Ashley // Jul 21, 2016 at 11:05 AM

Can you imagine Sissoko marauding down the wing and frightening those Championship defenders, I hope he does for a month, so SJP can give him a pice of their minds.

• 44 Jail for Ashley // Jul 21, 2016 at 11:07 AM

Not having it mate, Rafa was a phone call away.

• 45 Belfast // Jul 21, 2016 at 11:13 AM

We should be over the moon if we con nearly 60 million for these two players.

They ain’t great players like, probably do well in the championship but if you get promoted you’ll just get the same mediocre performances from them again.

60 million reinvested wisely could make us a much better outfit.

• 46 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 21, 2016 at 11:15 AM

Not sure the bespectacled Roll-on can use a phone.

So he is a spunktrumpet roll-on, now??
    Not sure i’d want that on my armpits 😮

• 47 carl // Jul 21, 2016 at 11:15 AM

I take the point you’re making comparing the Sissoko with cabaye situation. Cabaye’s departure spelt the start of our decline as a team because he was not replaced. Arguably until we bought Shelvey!

Pardew is on the record as saying we ceased to be a passing team. The qualities Sissoko would bring to the Championship I’ve spelt out previously. I know you hold the view that you don’t build anything if you keep selling your best players. Newcastle historically have proven that many times over. I prefer quality on the field not in the bank.

• 48 jazzyp // Jul 21, 2016 at 11:16 AM

Looks like Moussa could be moving over the river mersey to Everton. Koeman has turned his attention to Sissoko after missing out on Gini

• 49 jimmysmith // Jul 21, 2016 at 11:16 AM

If we did sell Sissoko for 35 million and Thauvin for 12 then that’d be edging 90 million in transfers out, that’s more than Villa went for, the whole effin club, and still leaves us with still a decent group to pick from, which is surely a stark indication that we should have been nowhere near relegation in the first place. Has ever a greater collection of talent been as badly mismanaged.

• 50 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 21, 2016 at 11:23 AM

It deffo seems it was a ploy to force Liverpool I agree without a doubt. If he ends up injured then he stays. No lose situation for us, he can cry all he wants. Rafa did say after the game he is my player until im told otherwise I’ll play him. So hopefully it was all Rafa.

On the centre back. I agree also in that we could do with another specialist in that position. We know only too well what it was like having only 3 for long periods in Colo, Taylor and Williamson until Mbiwa was signed. The injuries and lack of cover cost us badly during periods of the season.

Just off for some dinner, I’ll pop back later on lads.

• 51 jazzyp // Jul 21, 2016 at 11:24 AM

My opinion mate is that we are weakening the team and not improving it pal.Is Richie better than Townsend … I think not.Gamez is here for his last pay day.Will Gayle be a success in the Championship… Probably so but will he be in the pl ??
    I hope Rafa has something up his sleeve mate cos at this rate we are going to struggle this season.
    Rafa has to get this transfer window bang on pal because if we fail to win automatic promotion this season, Do you think Rafa will hang around ??

• 52 jimmysmith // Jul 21, 2016 at 11:24 AM

It’s not that the players brought in aren’t good lads, and decent replacements for the likes of Marv, Obertan, Collo, Taylor and Cisse, it’s that they aren’t adequate replacements for Sissoko, Townsend and Widjnaldum, and that’s why many were so eager to see them stay.

• 53 carl // Jul 21, 2016 at 11:26 AM

Has ever a greater collection of talent been as badly managed- discuss.
    We’ve gone full circle. Can see further frantic transfer activity to follow.

• 54 ROSHAN MAGPIE // Jul 21, 2016 at 11:29 AM

looks like we will lose some money of the 25 million we got for gini because psv added a sell on clause for gini when they sold him to us

• 55 jazzyp // Jul 21, 2016 at 11:30 AM

It’s looking like the Gini deal is looking worse by the minute.
    Detelegraaf are reporting that Psv will get a significant figure for the sale of Gini to Liverpool.
    By the time the sale is Complete Nufc will only make 6 mill on the player.

• 56 ROSHAN MAGPIE // Jul 21, 2016 at 11:31 AM

PSV bank another 5m euros (approx £4.2m),

• 57 Hail Wor Ashley // Jul 21, 2016 at 11:32 AM

Townsend the only loss in my eyes. Getting rid of Gini and Sissoko will do wonders for the dressing room and team spirit.

The sum is more important than the parts, I’m staggered some don’t recognise that yet.

Ritchie could be every bit as good as Townsend, in fact despite me being a huge fan of Townsend, Ritchies stats are better, particularly in his Championship promotion season with Bournemouth. Really little to choose between them.

Gini and Sissoko’s departures are a case of good riddance for me, at those prices doubly so.

• 58 jimmysmith // Jul 21, 2016 at 11:34 AM

I’m assuming the agent also takes his substantial cut from the fee.

• 59 giimps // Jul 21, 2016 at 11:35 AM

So PSv have inserted a sell on clause, it must be pretty high percentage of profit if we’re only gaining 6 mil, who ever heard of a 40% sell on clause……seems awfully high to me…….who cares, he’s gone and we will have money in the bank to buy more consistent players with……

• 60 hibbitt // Jul 21, 2016 at 11:36 AM

think the match day fans would argue that point with you
    the vast majority of match day fans will be glad to see the back of them

Townsend leaving was a disappointment but Richie is a fair replacement

• 61 Belfast // Jul 21, 2016 at 11:37 AM

Gimps Lee Charnley negotiates our deals so anything is possible.

• 62 giimps // Jul 21, 2016 at 11:38 AM

I’m wondering if we have inserted a sell on clause for gini and cabella, probably not Townsend but it depends on the t&c of his release clause

• 63 hibbitt // Jul 21, 2016 at 11:38 AM

40% were’s that coming from ??

• 64 Hail Wor Ashley // Jul 21, 2016 at 11:40 AM

£20m still fantastic for a part-timer and more in keeping with what I thought it would be. £20m was the realistic figure.

• 65 Hail Wor Ashley // Jul 21, 2016 at 11:41 AM

No, why would we pay the agent? That’s the burden of the buying club.

Whingers galore!

• 66 carl // Jul 21, 2016 at 11:45 AM

It’s the sum of the parts. You don’t need a direct replacement to be of the same quality. Compare Leicester individually and collectively.

I haven’t seen too much of friendlies but clearly we need an injection of star quality if we lose any of our best players. But excluding last night and the first half, the defence is stronger than last season and could well be massively changed and with quality cover.
    I have been consistent in questioning the midfield lack of creativity and we might well see further targeting there.
    Rafa could well feel we will be a more attractive proposition in January when PL status is on offer. I don’t go along with those who say we’re better prepared than when we won promotion. The overall standard seems higher having watched the playoffs.
    There will be teams who come to SJP and park the bus so we do need to address how we’re going to open sides up.

• 67 hibbitt // Jul 21, 2016 at 11:47 AM

mail are reporting we are getting a loan player as part of the deal ??

• 68 Belfast // Jul 21, 2016 at 11:51 AM

Probably Flanagan can play in both full back positions. I think he’s been blighted with injuries last few seasons though.

• 69 hibbitt // Jul 21, 2016 at 11:52 AM

no one in the uk reporting a sell on clause only rosham magpie

• 70 jimmysmith // Jul 21, 2016 at 11:54 AM

It’s hard to lose them when you know we finally have a manager that can
    motivate and focus them, and a transfer policy to adequately support them, and build a team around them. These are not transfers the club really wants to sanction. It’s the players who wanted them, and their agents, by dint of relegation.

• 71 Belfast // Jul 21, 2016 at 11:54 AM

Very clever tactic by Benitez to include Gini in that friendly last night btw

The fact the deal gathered pace soon after suggests Liverpool where pissing about beforehand.

• 72 Belfast // Jul 21, 2016 at 11:55 AM

I assume the Thavin inclusion was for similar reasons.

• 73 ToonRich // Jul 21, 2016 at 12:00 PM

Matz Sels (5) – kicking from back passes was horrendous, which unltimately saw him conceed the penalty. Maybe cause it was a friendly, but wanted too much time to clear the ball.

Daryl Janmaat (4) – looked suspect when defending, didnt link that well with Ritchie
    Chancel Mbemba (6) – steady most of the time
    Jamaal Lascelles (c) (7) – good in the air, showing leadership directing teammates, a unit!
    Vurnon Anita (5) – linked well on the left, tidy and made some decent passes
    Jonjo Shelvey (6) – jury is out on Jonjo for me! his choice of passing is dubious, trying too much for the hollywood passes, stray balls.
    Jack Colback (4) – messy! gave needless fouls & didnt do much else
    Matt Ritchie (6) – good movement, but Janmaat didnt link that well with him on the right side
    Adam Armstrong (7) – put himself about, got in some great positions, should have scored at least 2 though!
    Rolando Aarons (6.5) – fast and direct, linked well with Vurnon.
    Aleksandar Mitrovic (6.5) – some good touches and layoffs, battled and couple of decent efforts.

Karl Darlow (not used)
    Jamie Sterry (6.5) – pacey, tackled well, supported Goofy down the flank.
    Jesus Gamez (7) – linked well with Thauvin and Perez down the left, lots of overlapping runs. Looks more comfortable on his right foot though.
    Paul Dummett (6.5) – kept things simple and tidy
    Isaac Hayden (7) – Mid, comfortable on the ball, good touch and distribution. Well struck goal. Def, strong in the air, tidy on the floor.
    Cheick Tiote (not used)
    Henri Saivet (6.5) – took a while to settle but once he had he was pinging the ball in all directions with precision. looked alright to me!
    Georginio Wijnaldum (4) – Wasnt interested that was apparent.
    Yoan Gouffran (6) – good plays down the wing, got to the byline a few times and won corners.linked well with Sterry.
    Florian Thauvin (6) – still looked a bit off the pace, tried though.
    Ayoze Perez (8) – looked a class above the rest of the team, direct, link play good, weaving runs and got a goal.
    Dwight Gayle (6.5) – put himself about, could have had a goal…

Based on last night, Rafa may have a headache on what is his best 11 at the moment. The 2nd half changes certainy picked up the pace and commanded the game much better than the first half team.

Dissapointed to hear some fans jeering Gini in his warm up and chanting “we want you to go”!! I think he’s kept it professional, he’s a good footballer and does deserve to play top level football, just a shame he doesnt want to stay.

I’d like to see a young, hungry, creative raw talent signed, a marquee signing for the championship, even if it’s a loan. The fans need some excitment in the team, we dont really have anyone yet!

• 74 magscar // Jul 21, 2016 at 12:02 PM

I have posted in recent days about the financial reality and the level of attraction we now pose for potential targets.

Some posters are getting too carried away with the( welcome) in house up beat mood to see the hard reality out there.

Some seem to think that if we don’t spend every penny of incoming funds then this means we are still in Ashley’s Austerity. Yet there is no evidence that things haven’t changed for the better under Rafa’s overall influence.

In fact all the evidence suggests that the opposite is the case.

We have brought in players with PL experience early for reasonable fees without having had to let anyone go first ( and then be held to ransom with selling clubs well aware of large incoming fees already) – Hanley is an early indication of that with Blackburn pushing for higher fee. Delay due to Rafa in Ireland and Charnley relaxing while he is away – really?

We have the cushion of a profit build up with that part not allocated under McClaren remaining available and last season’s prize money.

From that and incoming fees we have to fund this summer, next January and next summer with only a parachute payment and Championship prize money (nothing compared to even bottom of PL) to come.

Rafa I am sure is well aware of the difficulty/impossibility in attracting a £20M player to replace any of our big sales. He needs to cut his cloth accordingly and spending money for the sake of it isn’t his way nor is it sound planning.

First priority is to get out of division and then to be in a financial position to compete with even lower placed PL sides next season who will be rolling in it. That is the reality for relegated sides even one as well placed as we are compared to all others (even ourselves last time around). In addition there will be a big inflation in fees to be faced after the windfall of next season.

Some prudence is needed and no that doesn’t mean simply wining the battle of the Balance Sheets but getting club in best possible position for this time next year.

Rafa has signed up for a project and he will be aware that it will take more than one season.

I would rather we had stayed up and kept Rafa but we are where we are and I am up for the ride.

Scraping through and staying up with Mclaren and further relegation battles without real fundamental change or this – I know which I accept.

• 75 ROSHAN MAGPIE // Jul 21, 2016 at 12:02 PM

hibbit I saw it here

• 76 ROSHAN MAGPIE // Jul 21, 2016 at 12:11 PM

Lee Ryder@lee_ryder7mThere is a clause but it is nowhere near as much as that.#nufc

• 77 hibbitt // Jul 21, 2016 at 12:12 PM

• 78 SuperShearer // Jul 21, 2016 at 12:19 PM

Can anyone else think of another team that has assets like Wini and Sissoko worth close to £50million combined that has been relegated? I’m aware that the market is skewed but it kind of shoes those players and our management for most of last season as being appalling to see us relegated.

• 79 goommy // Jul 21, 2016 at 12:24 PM

Yeah!! 60M cash was really nice. 😀

• 80 nightfa11 // Jul 21, 2016 at 12:25 PM

Maybe rafa played wini in a hope he gets injured for 3 months 😀
    Ok.. Seriously.. I dont mind wini and especially sissoko getting sold.. They didnt contribute much.. But we are weaker psycholgicaly.. Although we already have a better player than those 2 in Perez.. Works way harder, more talented, more consistent..

• 81 MidlandsMag // Jul 21, 2016 at 12:28 PM

ToonRich @ 73

They were asking Gini to stay, Moussa Sissoko to go. There was a bit of booing for Gini but not much.

• 82 magscar // Jul 21, 2016 at 12:34 PM

If it were possible to compare by graph the potential and widely accepted abilities of each regular player for us last season against the performance of each which 2 players would probably show the widest gap.

No need for a prize as I think most would easily guess on the top 2.

Yeah lots of reasons as to why that may be but I am old fashioned enough to believe that even in this crazy world Professional means just that.

Essentially the suggested graph would indicate ( at least on playing side) who most of the blame for relegation could be properly attributed 2.

Add to that a realistic assessment of who has come off worst from relegation and I know who would be easily bottom – the same 2.

• 83 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 21, 2016 at 12:35 PM

The goal by Perez is exactly what I want him to be doing this season getting into the middle of the box causing havoc for defenders with twists and turns and then a proper finish !

With Hanley signed soon I still think we need another centre half and a left back

Then we need a striker , 2 wingers , attacking midfielder all with pace

• 84 magscar // Jul 21, 2016 at 12:40 PM

I think Rafa did the opposite of what Pardew did when faced with Cabaye’s stance ( albeit this was a friendly but perhaps all the starker for that)

Rafa indicated in no uncertain terms that he would not wrap a player in cotton wool or give into a ” his mind isn’t right” get out. Liverpool were brought to heel pretty quickly and bits I saw Gini didn’t look overjoyed to come on.

Played Rafa!

• 85 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 21, 2016 at 12:47 PM

We have a better-than-competent first 11 now for the championship, but it does need additions to push it up to what I would call “favorites to win it”. If our first game was tomorrow, and assuming janmaat, tiote and socks are all sold tonight…..

Rafa’s likely 4231…

Sels, hanley, haidara, anita, arma, SDJ, a.n.other(take your pick)

• 86 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 21, 2016 at 12:48 PM

Thats taken into account Mitros suspension. I know sdj is injured. This is just a guidline

• 87 Rotonda heights // Jul 21, 2016 at 1:05 PM

you don’t seem to have grasped it’s horses for courses in the championship and we worry about getting better quality if and when we get back to the PL.

previous post: Newcastle Fans Twitter Reaction To Fee Agreed For Wijnaldum