The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

New Signing Flattered By Opportunity To Play At Big Club

8:55 am, Friday, July 22nd, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 73 Comments

It’s got to be difficult for players when they know negotiations are ongoing for a transfer you really want , but you cannot say too much because you have to remain professional, especially when you are the captain of the club.

That seems to have happened with Grant Hanley,  the new welcome arrival at Newcastle.

grant hanley newcastel strip

Grant Hanley – in Newcastle new home strip
Grant should be hopefully smiling shortly ……

And to give Grant credit, he acted extremely professionally while the long drawn out negotiations – they lasted more than three weeks – went on with Managing Director Lee Charnley trying to strike a deal with the Blackburn owners Venky’s.

Grant was interviewed on nufcTV yesterday and he lifted the lid about his frustrations in that Scottish accent of his.

This is some of what he said:

“It’s finally gone through and it seemed like a long time coming.” “There are times when I doubted it would ever happen but I am over the moon to finally get it done. I am delighted to be here.”

“It’s frustrating but you try not to get too involved, decisions are not in my hands at the end of the day.”

“That was something that had to sorted out between the two clubs. It did drag on, but I am glad we got there in the end.”

“It was up to Blackburn to come up with some sort of agreement which they did. I am glad I am here now, what an opportunity to play for such a big club.”

“It’s flattering and I am delighted it’s done now.” “But it doesn’t stop there this is just the start of it.”

Hanley is short of playing time having not played at all in preseason so far – and he may get a run-out in the second half at KSC Lokeren tomorrow afternoon in Belgium.

That’s always assuming the injury that kept him out of the Blackburn friendly games has now cleared up.

He was injured wasn’t he?

Here’s the preseason friendlies.

ClubLocationDate and KickoffResult
BohemianDalymount ParkSaturday, 16th July
Won 6-0
Doncaster RoversKeepmoat StadiumWednesday, 20th July
Drew 2-2
KSC LokerenDaknamstadionSaturday, 23rd July
Won 4-0
Southend UnitedRoots Hall
Tuesday, 26th July
Won 2-0
SBV Vitesse St. James ParkSaturday, 30th July
3:00 pm
Won 3-2

Tags: Grant Hanley · Newcastle News · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

73 responses so far ↓

• 1 Bambams // Jul 22, 2016 at 8:58 AM

I was happy to read Rafa’s comments about this fella and how pleased he was to get him….but also that he was ‘fast’.

I thought quite a few on here thought he was slower than Saylor.

Need pace throughout the team

• 2 sing in the corner // Jul 22, 2016 at 8:59 AM

Quality challenge!

• 3 jazzyp // Jul 22, 2016 at 9:00 AM

Nice how every player still refers to us as “coming to play for a big club”
    Wish all the best lad at the club !!

• 4 hibbitt // Jul 22, 2016 at 9:02 AM

you’re in for a big shock with the championship if that what you think ……….how many games in the championship did you watch last season to come up with that comment ??

• 5 jimmysmith // Jul 22, 2016 at 9:04 AM

Really the squad is done. It’s just a question of whether any more leave, and do they then they need replacing. Thauvin can directly take Widjnaldums place, and he’s a genuine left winger. Arma and Gayle replace Cisse and Doumbia, Hanley and Dummett replace Colo and Taylor, Ritchie replaces Townsend, Gamez comes in at left back. Hayden adds extra defensive cover.

• 6 Average_Contents // Jul 22, 2016 at 9:08 AM

Haha. Let’s hope he does it on sissoko in training so he has to stay and sulk like the twatface he is.

Be in even better if twatface then got relegated to the reserves for his attitude 😉

• 7 will die for the toon army // Jul 22, 2016 at 9:09 AM

I believe there is going to be competition of places. If you dont work hard you are benched.

The SQUAD so far;
    GK: Krul, Elloitt, Darlow, Seles, Woodman
    FB: Janmatt, Sherry, Haidara, Mbabu, Anita, Gamez
    CB: Dummett, Mbemba, Lasceles, Hanley,
    CM: Tiote, Saviet, Colback, Shelvey,Hayden
    WF: Ritche, Aarons, Thauvin, Perez, Goufrann
    CF: Mitrovic, Gayle, De Jong, Arma, Rivere

I think we are good to GO.

• 8 jimmysmith // Jul 22, 2016 at 9:09 AM

You think an epl side wouldn’t win the Championship because they wouldn’t be tough enough? I think an epl side would win because they have the better players and are the better side. It’s not that contentious a comment. How many Championship sides come up, play Championship football and stay up?

• 9 geordie157 // Jul 22, 2016 at 9:11 AM

From the previous post, I’d start Mbemba and Lascelles, bring Hanley into the starting line up if one of them is struggling.

• 10 jimmysmith // Jul 22, 2016 at 9:14 AM

Benitez will have organise and motivate the side, but if the quality isn’t there, then it becomes much more of an even contest.

• 11 geordie157 // Jul 22, 2016 at 9:14 AM

Who do people want to replace Wijnaldum?

See the chronicle as usual has thrown a few names together, however I quite like the idea of trying to get Van Ginkel.

Will Hughes is good but I think we’d be better off looking at Hendrick.

• 12 will die for the toon army // Jul 22, 2016 at 9:17 AM

I think Stoke stayed up with Championship football so did Leicester

• 13 jimmysmith // Jul 22, 2016 at 9:20 AM

Stoke certainly don’t play it now, nor do Leicester. All good teams get stuck in, it’s the quality that makes the difference.

• 14 sing in the corner // Jul 22, 2016 at 9:22 AM

Nah nah man,
    Don’t hold back, say what ya mean! 🙂

• 15 will die for the toon army // Jul 22, 2016 at 9:23 AM

Not forgetting Sam Aladyce he plays Champioship football and has never been relegated.

• 16 clinath@ed // Jul 22, 2016 at 9:24 AM

I guessed that Jib, but 3 weeks is a bit much, with the season about to start

• 17 jazzyp // Jul 22, 2016 at 9:25 AM

Will die

Still think we are weak at the back mate.Mbabu and Hadaira spend half the season on the table injured.Anita I feel plays better as a Mf as that’s his natural position rather again playing players out of position, Which I feel was one of our pitfalls last term.

Sterry looks a good prospect but unproven which leaves us wanting again like every season gone by

• 18 jimmysmith // Jul 22, 2016 at 9:28 AM

I’m not sure he does really play Championship football, as much as pragmatic football, 9 big, tough fast players and two tricky ones, but he does employ epl quality players. Or do you think he does it with Championship ones? It’s a weaker league, arguably quite a good deal weaker.

• 19 will die for the toon army // Jul 22, 2016 at 9:31 AM

I believe Anita has played best wen RB for me, he is too small and weak for CM.

For the CB, we have Dummett, Hanley, Mbemba, Lasceles, Hayden.

For RB, we have Janmatt, Anita, Sherry
    For LB, we have Gamez, Mbabu???, Haidara?? I know they are always injured.

• 20 jazzyp // Jul 22, 2016 at 9:31 AM

Janmaat 27 today. Wonder if he will be here at the start of the season

• 21 Average_Contents // Jul 22, 2016 at 9:37 AM

I always do mate lol

• 22 jazzyp // Jul 22, 2016 at 9:40 AM

Will die

who’s Sherry mate ??
    If Janmaat stays then that leaves him and Gamez.
    CB we have 4 capable players I think to cope with the rigour of the Championship
    Again I don’t believe in playing players out of position as Colback was often found wanting at left back, Which brings me to the left back position again.I just think this is a weak spot within the sqaud, That’s why we ended using Sissoko towards the end of the season because we had no cover for the constantly injured Mbabu and Haidara

• 23 Jib // Jul 22, 2016 at 9:47 AM

Not really Clint
    They may be millionaires but they still come under employment law.
    Remember when you are watching the match on Boxing day gently burping away your turkey curry they are working.

• 24 Jib // Jul 22, 2016 at 9:52 AM

• 25 outside the box // Jul 22, 2016 at 9:56 AM

is hanley right or left footed ???

• 26 Munster Mag // Jul 22, 2016 at 9:58 AM

Jimmy, I don’t think the squad is complete at all, and there are some glaring weaknesses, certainly in an ideal world. Your ( I think it was you?) idea of keeping Wiji / Sissoko was never in keeping with real world football. As for Rafa saying Hanley is fast – I’ll believe it when I see it. \I would tend to agree with Rovers fans if a lot of them say he is a bit slow. He certainly doesn’t look fast….I think Hayden is going to be a really good player for us 🙂

• 27 ToonRich // Jul 22, 2016 at 10:01 AM

@5 & 8
    “You think an epl side wouldn’t win the Championship because they wouldn’t be tough enough? I think an epl side would win because they have the better players and are the better side” – jimmysmith

Are you referring to us as the epl side? I hope not! We’re not an epl side, if we had the better players wouldnt we still be in that league and not have been relegated?

I dont think the squad is done…too many players that could still be unreliable, due to injury history, attitude, questionable quality!

• 28 Bambams // Jul 22, 2016 at 10:01 AM

In my humble opinion we still need

A left back

A midfield maestro to find that ‘pass’

I just thought over the years we create so few chances our strikers looked poor.

Mitro Perez Gayle Ritchie will get goals, if we create the opportunities.

The money is there. ….I am sure Rafa could sell the club to someone for hopefully ‘one season’ in Championship.

Who that player is….no idea

• 29 clinath@ed // Jul 22, 2016 at 10:08 AM

Fair point Jib……still trying to get my head round Sissoko working…. 😉

• 30 Rotonda heights // Jul 22, 2016 at 10:15 AM

you really do seem to have a problem with rafa.

• 31 ToonRich // Jul 22, 2016 at 10:19 AM

jazzyp, I think Sterry would be good for a cup run…give him a bit more exposure to the demands of the league. He plays with confidence from what I’ve seen, I wouldnt be worried if he was called upon

• 32 jazzyp // Jul 22, 2016 at 10:29 AM

Toon rich
    Nice to here mate, Don’t get to see anything really unless there promoted to the first team, As I don’t live in the area

• 33 jazzyp // Jul 22, 2016 at 10:30 AM

The youngsters

• 34 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 22, 2016 at 10:30 AM

Jib@24. I like the bit where he’s in the gym with the kids. You can just make out one of them saying in Spanish, “do it like Senor Colback!” And he takes the ball to the centre circle, and hits it slowly sideways, along the centre line. Very good.

• 35 jimmysmith // Jul 22, 2016 at 10:35 AM

Munster, Real world football? I simply have been saying we should keep them, and all our better players, ideally by convincing them to stay, but even if it meant holding them to their contracts, as Utd did with De Gea, for example, if we couldn’t adequately replace them. Rafa has always maintained we didn’t need to sell.

And these glaring weaknesses. Where exactly?

• 36 jimmysmith // Jul 22, 2016 at 10:44 AM

Toonrich, do you think losing our better players will help us go straight back up? Our squad last season was epl standard. It had a few holes in it, low morale, and was poorly managed, but it still had plenty of quality. Rafa would have had it top half, the last six games indicates as much. Injuries didn’t help either.

• 37 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jul 22, 2016 at 10:44 AM

We could/should have a midfield maestro to find the pass in Shelvey if he sorts his heed oot – got the ability i.e. West Ham game

• 38 Slank // Jul 22, 2016 at 10:52 AM

‘… we still need a midfield maestro to find that ‘pass’..’

Isn’t that Shelvey ?

• 39 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jul 22, 2016 at 10:53 AM

According to reports from Team Talk, Norwich City are leading Aston Villa and Newcastle United in the transfer race to sign Fulham striker Ross McCormack.

The Scotland international is the most proven striker in the Championship, amassing 116 goals in 303 appearances throughout spells with Cardiff City, Leeds United and the Cottagers.

• 40 Mister Tuff // Jul 22, 2016 at 10:54 AM

Jib Jibberish you posted earlier -ref Sissoko and Gini – about turning up at Fulham on 6th August.

Why would they have turned up then when the game is on Friday 5th August -moved re TV.

• 41 Mister Tuff // Jul 22, 2016 at 10:57 AM

Cannot see new signings finished just yet – one or two more to come in my opinion.

• 42 Jail for Ashley // Jul 22, 2016 at 10:58 AM

You’re a funny guy 🙂

• 43 ROSHAN MAGPIE // Jul 22, 2016 at 11:01 AM

Chronicle: Real Madrid interested in Sissoko at lower price – could offer player on loan as part of deal#nufc

• 44 Mister Tuff // Jul 22, 2016 at 11:03 AM

Mug 52 – I will be dreaming of good things to come this season – you can dream about your man and what might have been.

Here is a video of your man – his finest moment in ten years – you can dream about that as well.

• 45 Slank // Jul 22, 2016 at 11:03 AM

Quite a few on here have put out their preferred teams all of them minus Hayden.

I have a sneaking suspicion that he might be the big surprise this coming season.

He is a big lad and is very comfortable on the ball. He may be Tiote’s replacement. He certainly didn’t appear out of place against Doncaster.

• 46 jazzyp // Jul 22, 2016 at 11:13 AM

I would hope Hayden gets a chance in that position mate.
    Looks a prospect at such a young age

• 47 lordy_geordie // Jul 22, 2016 at 11:19 AM

I would get will Hughes in to replace Gini, then a striker, left back and another mid.
    Sell the dead wood as we have too many players in certain positions.

My team

Janmaat. Henley. Lascelles. Gomez

Ritchie. Hayden. Aarons

Mitrovic. Gayle

• 48 carl // Jul 22, 2016 at 11:22 AM

I enjoy reading your posts but I think you wrote this last one in a hurry.
    Ideal World ! Real World Football!

Jimmy has been consistent along with a few others in making the point that you don’t improve the team by selling your best players. Unless of course you have quality signings lined up. Good players can play at any level because aside from technique the thought process is usually quicker.

I made the point yesterday in essence there isn’t a real world football. Options exist as we’ve seen with Vardy being offered an improved contract to stay at Leicester when most thought otherwise. Options do exist it depends as much on what the selling club want. Look at WBA’s attitude towards Saido Berahino, they turned down offers last season in excess of £ 20 million from two clubs. He’s got a year to go on his contract and they’ve recently declined offers of around £23 million from Stoke and Palace. He has retained his value and clubs are no phased by so called attitude issues which ha been overplayed on here. The so called attitude issues often cited are where promises have been made to players and not kept. Certainly Cabaye has said as much and that the experience taught him to think of employing a lawyer for future contractual issues. The market is highly inflationary and should we win promotion been looking to buy PL players at higher prices. Rafa was using quick as in thought process though Hanley does have a phenomenal interception count. He’s no slouch and a no frills type. I’ve seen him a couple of times for Scotland and he is a great organiser and a whole hearted type. Those that think of Lascelles in that way will appreciate this Buster.

I agree with you on Hayden he’s going to be a terrific signing , number of Arsenal fans can’t believe we’ve got him so cheaply. Versatile can play anywhere defensively and at DM.

• 49 Jib // Jul 22, 2016 at 11:31 AM

When you corrected me @#40 you failed to post pics of young boys being spanked.
    Nice to see your analyst helped with your filthy perversions.

• 50 ToonRich // Jul 22, 2016 at 11:31 AM

Jimmy, going on 3/4 of last season I dont think we’ve lost ‘our better players’! Yeah there was a few standout players. Im disappointed that Gini is going he was one of my favourites aside from his no-shows in away games!! I just think we have plenty of room to bring in improvements and strength to the squad, as we werent up to epl standard and thats why we went down. I agree mis-management, low morale played a huge part, but our so called quality players werent worth their wage and in that respect we can find better suited players for Rafa’s tactics I hope.

Jazzyp, Slank…Got to agree with you guys on Hayden, he is going to fit in very well for us. But in what poistion? He came on as a CM and scored, then reverted to CB and looked solid, comfortable on the ball and passing & wasnt shy of a tackle…If we go with DM’s then Hayden has to be in for a shout, I think he can surpass Tiote in that role 🙂

• 51 Spoof // Jul 22, 2016 at 11:37 AM

For me the defensive midfield area is the most crucial part of the pitch, win that battle and your defence is so much stronger and you will be on the front foot trying to break your opponents down, we saw at the end of last season just how vital Tiote is too us, with him in the side we could afford to have a slightly more attack minded partner alongside him, Shelvey would be ideal as he would offer some defensive work but would quickly turn defence into attack, similar to what Cabaye did when he was alongside Tiote, but what if Tiote goes, Hayden could be pivotal for us, I don’t know the lad and I have not seen him play but I do hope that he is a real rock solid no frills ball winner in the Tiote mould, if he isn’t then we may have to play without Shelvey and have a more defensive type of player instead of him, Colback being the obvious choice, nothing against Colback but if Hayden is Tiote-ish enough to allow Shelvey to play then for me that would be great, if not then it could be Hayden and Colback who I would hope would allow us to win the midfield battle but lose out slightly when attacking, fingers crossed that Hayden can do a Tiote, if he can’t then I hope Tiote stays as he would give us a tremendous plat form, especially in this division.

• 52 Mister Tuff // Jul 22, 2016 at 11:42 AM

Jib Jibberish – Caning you jacksie metaphorically speaking is my theme – not sexual perversion.
    If you want to have these “alternative thoughts” – that is up to you.

• 53 ToonRich // Jul 22, 2016 at 11:47 AM

Spoof, going by what I saw the other night, Hayden can actually tackle and pass…dare I say he could replace Tiote and we could still play a more attack minded playe along side.
    Although Tiote – Hayden pairing would be immense also 😉

• 54 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 22, 2016 at 11:49 AM

Carl@48. I know you and Jinky have a different view from me about selling our best players. Fair enough. And I suppose I have made this comment in one way or another before, but anyway. It just seems to me that Rafa is taking a very pragmatic approach towards the upcoming season. He appears to be assembling a squad which is first and foremost about getting promoted. Sure, we are parting ways with talented players, which is always disappointing, but it seems to me it’s more about just getting the job done, and perhaps those players are not the best fit for this season, taken in isolation. As I said in another thread, I think our next Premiership squad will look a lot different.

• 55 Jib // Jul 22, 2016 at 11:49 AM

Perez of Real Madrid enters the fray

• 56 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 22, 2016 at 11:54 AM

Also a lot of teams who get promoted are coming straight into the league and surviving comfortably!

Watford , Bournemouth and Leicester recently ! Burnley as well if Danny Ings had been a better finisher would have relegated us the season they were last in as well!

I cant see the likes of West Brom , Sunderland and other mid table teams being that far ahead of us next season plus we will be coming back in with confidence where as they will be buggered from another relegation scrap!

• 57 lesh // Jul 22, 2016 at 11:55 AM

Oooooh, aren’t things hotting up on the Sissoko front.

Maybe we can squeeze more than £35m out of any interested clubs.

Have a word with Perez and tell him to get things moving, pronto!!

• 58 Spoof // Jul 22, 2016 at 11:55 AM

I hope your right and he can replace Tiote, I know what you mean about them as a pairing but for me I would rather have just one of them with Shelvey as Jonjo could thrive alongside a strong anchorman and give us an added edge going forward, but as I implied imho the defensive work is more important in that area than the offensive work so I would have no problems at all with both of them together.

• 59 hibbitt // Jul 22, 2016 at 12:04 PM

Lee Charnley Bunga Party

promotion is not guaranteed a lot of hard work and a bit of luck needed and the small matter of 46 games to be played
    don’t count your chicks before the hatch

• 60 outside the box // Jul 22, 2016 at 12:06 PM

it would be nice to think than hanley is the left sided centre back that toon have been looking for …i asked the font of all knowledge jib…without reply ….does anyone know if he is left or right footed…?????

• 61 Bambams // Jul 22, 2016 at 12:11 PM

Boys I hope Shelvey is that player, his debut was excellent and I thought we had some player. Just seemed to go off the boil after that.

I think a lot of clubs will know we are favourites for promotion and will ‘park the bus’ especially at SJP.

Beardsley was the best I ever saw in this #10 role…..

Hope Shelvey can reproduce that debut form.

Cheers fellas

• 62 Mister Tuff // Jul 22, 2016 at 12:13 PM

outside – right footed.

• 63 Spoof // Jul 22, 2016 at 12:14 PM

he’s left footed mate !

I get the distinct impression that you may well be pleased with that news !

• 64 Jib // Jul 22, 2016 at 12:16 PM

Make a wish list of which RM players you would like in order of preference and I’ll send it to Rafa – my personal favourite would be Isco

• 65 ToonRich // Jul 22, 2016 at 12:16 PM

If Jonjo could reproduce his debut performance even 80% of the time from a role next to a DM, and we find a gem of an AM or play 2 up top we’d be some attacking force

• 66 Mister Tuff // Jul 22, 2016 at 12:16 PM

• 67 outside the box // Jul 22, 2016 at 12:18 PM

cheers mr tuff ….that gives the problem as to who plays on left side ….only dummet is natural left sided …was embarassing watching toon defenders putting ball into touch when swinging with wrong foot

• 68 Spoof // Jul 22, 2016 at 12:20 PM

Well if I’m not right then Tuff must be heh heh heh

• 69 outside the box // Jul 22, 2016 at 12:20 PM

ok spoof …confused now havent seen him play or footage on youtube gave no indication..

• 70 Jib // Jul 22, 2016 at 12:20 PM

Mr Tuff
    Took a gamble 2/1 and guessed wrong

• 71 bettyswallocks // Jul 22, 2016 at 12:23 PM

Mr. Tuff…… @44. Excellent.

Poor Jib obviously doesn’t agree with corporal punishment .–/YXBwaWQ9c3JjaGRkO2g9MzA3O3E9OTU7dz0zODg-/

• 72 Spoof // Jul 22, 2016 at 12:27 PM

I’ve looked at some clips of him and Tuff has got this one correct, he is defo right footed.

• 73 carl // Jul 22, 2016 at 1:13 PM

Thanks for your response. I think others share my view as well. I don’t have a problem with a pragmatic approach to restoring our Premier status. It’s just that it would have been easier to achieve without selling our better players. I am sure there will be further additions of quality to the squad.

Two points, the assumption that we wouldn’t get the job done with the talented players and that the players in question are not the best fit. Rather acedemic now I know.

Benitez is quite capable of managing quality talented players and dissenting fan opinion is largely based on what went before his arrival. Whilst the priority is promotion good managers need forward thinking as to the current and future composition of their squad . KK did just that and was richly rewarded when we did find the promised land.
    It’s helpful not to have much turmoil within the club and to allow a team to flourish over a period of time. Certainly a player like Hayden is someone who looks destined for star billing in the Premier League. So there is a here and now along with future needs. The players we have bought are largely to get us promotion as you say. Ritchie was outstanding last season. Gayle though Palace’s top scorer suffered through being played as a target man.

So overall I have no major concerns aside from a lack of midfield creativity, a left back and the need for goals lost from midfield which doubtless will be addressed. I like the look of Patrick Bamford On loan. A striker who’s left footed and has done well on loan everywhere except at Palace where he was frequently isolated up front.

My economic point was that to buy the sort of quality were likely letting go will cost a lot more in 2017-18. All signings are a risk but were likely selling Premier experience. Benitez has a track record of managing, coping with difficult types and he’s managed the situation impressively.

previous post: Newcastle The Only Club Benitez Would Have Stayed At