New Signing Flattered By Opportunity To Play At Big Club

It’s got to be difficult for players when they know negotiations are ongoing for a transfer you really want , but you cannot say too much because you have to remain professional, especially when you are the captain of the club.

That seems to have happened with Grant Hanley,  the new welcome arrival at Newcastle.

grant hanley newcastel strip

Grant Hanley – in Newcastle new home strip
Grant should be hopefully smiling shortly ……

And to give Grant credit, he acted extremely professionally while the long drawn out negotiations – they lasted more than three weeks – went on with Managing Director Lee Charnley trying to strike a deal with the Blackburn owners Venky’s.

Grant was interviewed on nufcTV yesterday and he lifted the lid about his frustrations in that Scottish accent of his.

This is some of what he said:

“It’s finally gone through and it seemed like a long time coming.” “There are times when I doubted it would ever happen but I am over the moon to finally get it done. I am delighted to be here.”

“It’s frustrating but you try not to get too involved, decisions are not in my hands at the end of the day.”

“That was something that had to sorted out between the two clubs. It did drag on, but I am glad we got there in the end.”

“It was up to Blackburn to come up with some sort of agreement which they did. I am glad I am here now, what an opportunity to play for such a big club.”

“It’s flattering and I am delighted it’s done now.” “But it doesn’t stop there this is just the start of it.”

Hanley is short of playing time having not played at all in preseason so far – and he may get a run-out in the second half at KSC Lokeren tomorrow afternoon in Belgium.

That’s always assuming the injury that kept him out of the Blackburn friendly games has now cleared up.

He was injured wasn’t he?

Here’s the preseason friendlies.

ClubLocationDate and KickoffResult
Won 2-0
SBV Vitesse St. James ParkSaturday, 30th July
3:00 pm
Won 3-2

• Bambams

Jul 22, 2016 at 8:58 AM

I was happy to read Rafa’s comments about this fella and how pleased he was to get him….but also that he was ‘fast’.

I thought quite a few on here thought he was slower than Saylor.

Need pace throughout the team

• sing in the corner

Jul 22, 2016 at 8:59 AM

Quality challenge!

• jazzyp

Jul 22, 2016 at 9:00 AM

Nice how every player still refers to us as “coming to play for a big club”
    Wish all the best lad at the club !!

• hibbitt

Jul 22, 2016 at 9:02 AM

jimmysmith

you’re in for a big shock with the championship if that what you think ……….how many games in the championship did you watch last season to come up with that comment ??

• jimmysmith

Jul 22, 2016 at 9:04 AM

Really the squad is done. It’s just a question of whether any more leave, and do they then they need replacing. Thauvin can directly take Widjnaldums place, and he’s a genuine left winger. Arma and Gayle replace Cisse and Doumbia, Hanley and Dummett replace Colo and Taylor, Ritchie replaces Townsend, Gamez comes in at left back. Hayden adds extra defensive cover.

• Average_Contents

Jul 22, 2016 at 9:08 AM

Sitc

Haha. Let’s hope he does it on sissoko in training so he has to stay and sulk like the twatface he is.

Be in even better if twatface then got relegated to the reserves for his attitude 😉

Twatface

• will die for the toon army

Jul 22, 2016 at 9:09 AM

I believe there is going to be competition of places. If you dont work hard you are benched.

The SQUAD so far;
    GK: Krul, Elloitt, Darlow, Seles, Woodman
    FB: Janmatt, Sherry, Haidara, Mbabu, Anita, Gamez
    CB: Dummett, Mbemba, Lasceles, Hanley,
    CM: Tiote, Saviet, Colback, Shelvey,Hayden
    WF: Ritche, Aarons, Thauvin, Perez, Goufrann
    CF: Mitrovic, Gayle, De Jong, Arma, Rivere

I think we are good to GO.

• jimmysmith

Jul 22, 2016 at 9:09 AM

You think an epl side wouldn’t win the Championship because they wouldn’t be tough enough? I think an epl side would win because they have the better players and are the better side. It’s not that contentious a comment. How many Championship sides come up, play Championship football and stay up?

• geordie157

Jul 22, 2016 at 9:11 AM

Jazzyp

From the previous post, I’d start Mbemba and Lascelles, bring Hanley into the starting line up if one of them is struggling.

• jimmysmith

Jul 22, 2016 at 9:14 AM

Benitez will have organise and motivate the side, but if the quality isn’t there, then it becomes much more of an even contest.

• geordie157

Jul 22, 2016 at 9:14 AM

Who do people want to replace Wijnaldum?

See the chronicle as usual has thrown a few names together, however I quite like the idea of trying to get Van Ginkel.

Will Hughes is good but I think we’d be better off looking at Hendrick.

• will die for the toon army

Jul 22, 2016 at 9:17 AM

jimmysmith

I think Stoke stayed up with Championship football so did Leicester

• jimmysmith

Jul 22, 2016 at 9:20 AM

Stoke certainly don’t play it now, nor do Leicester. All good teams get stuck in, it’s the quality that makes the difference.

• sing in the corner

Jul 22, 2016 at 9:22 AM

Average

Nah nah man,
    Don’t hold back, say what ya mean! 🙂

• will die for the toon army

Jul 22, 2016 at 9:23 AM

Not forgetting Sam Aladyce he plays Champioship football and has never been relegated.

• clinath@ed

Jul 22, 2016 at 9:24 AM

I guessed that Jib, but 3 weeks is a bit much, with the season about to start

• jazzyp

Jul 22, 2016 at 9:25 AM

Will die

Still think we are weak at the back mate.Mbabu and Hadaira spend half the season on the table injured.Anita I feel plays better as a Mf as that’s his natural position rather again playing players out of position, Which I feel was one of our pitfalls last term.

Sterry looks a good prospect but unproven which leaves us wanting again like every season gone by

• jimmysmith

Jul 22, 2016 at 9:28 AM

I’m not sure he does really play Championship football, as much as pragmatic football, 9 big, tough fast players and two tricky ones, but he does employ epl quality players. Or do you think he does it with Championship ones? It’s a weaker league, arguably quite a good deal weaker.

• will die for the toon army

Jul 22, 2016 at 9:31 AM

jazzyp

I believe Anita has played best wen RB for me, he is too small and weak for CM.

For the CB, we have Dummett, Hanley, Mbemba, Lasceles, Hayden.

For RB, we have Janmatt, Anita, Sherry
    For LB, we have Gamez, Mbabu???, Haidara?? I know they are always injured.

• jazzyp

Jul 22, 2016 at 9:31 AM

Janmaat 27 today. Wonder if he will be here at the start of the season

• Average_Contents

Jul 22, 2016 at 9:37 AM

Sitc

I always do mate lol

• jazzyp

Jul 22, 2016 at 9:40 AM

Will die

who’s Sherry mate ??
    If Janmaat stays then that leaves him and Gamez.
    CB we have 4 capable players I think to cope with the rigour of the Championship
    Again I don’t believe in playing players out of position as Colback was often found wanting at left back, Which brings me to the left back position again.I just think this is a weak spot within the sqaud, That’s why we ended using Sissoko towards the end of the season because we had no cover for the constantly injured Mbabu and Haidara

• Jib

Jul 22, 2016 at 9:47 AM

Not really Clint
    They may be millionaires but they still come under employment law.
    Remember when you are watching the match on Boxing day gently burping away your turkey curry they are working.

• outside the box

Jul 22, 2016 at 9:56 AM

jib
    is hanley right or left footed ???

• Munster Mag

Jul 22, 2016 at 9:58 AM

Jimmy, I don’t think the squad is complete at all, and there are some glaring weaknesses, certainly in an ideal world. Your ( I think it was you?) idea of keeping Wiji / Sissoko was never in keeping with real world football. As for Rafa saying Hanley is fast – I’ll believe it when I see it. \I would tend to agree with Rovers fans if a lot of them say he is a bit slow. He certainly doesn’t look fast….I think Hayden is going to be a really good player for us 🙂

• ToonRich

Jul 22, 2016 at 10:01 AM

@5 & 8
    “You think an epl side wouldn’t win the Championship because they wouldn’t be tough enough? I think an epl side would win because they have the better players and are the better side” – jimmysmith

Are you referring to us as the epl side? I hope not! We’re not an epl side, if we had the better players wouldnt we still be in that league and not have been relegated?

I dont think the squad is done…too many players that could still be unreliable, due to injury history, attitude, questionable quality!

• Bambams

Jul 22, 2016 at 10:01 AM

In my humble opinion we still need

A left back

A midfield maestro to find that ‘pass’

I just thought over the years we create so few chances our strikers looked poor.

Mitro Perez Gayle Ritchie will get goals, if we create the opportunities.

The money is there. ….I am sure Rafa could sell the club to someone for hopefully ‘one season’ in Championship.

Who that player is….no idea

• clinath@ed

Jul 22, 2016 at 10:08 AM

Fair point Jib……still trying to get my head round Sissoko working…. 😉

• Rotonda heights

Jul 22, 2016 at 10:15 AM

Munster

you really do seem to have a problem with rafa.

• ToonRich

Jul 22, 2016 at 10:19 AM

jazzyp, I think Sterry would be good for a cup run…give him a bit more exposure to the demands of the league. He plays with confidence from what I’ve seen, I wouldnt be worried if he was called upon

• jazzyp

Jul 22, 2016 at 10:29 AM

Toon rich
    Nice to here mate, Don’t get to see anything really unless there promoted to the first team, As I don’t live in the area

• jazzyp

Jul 22, 2016 at 10:30 AM

The youngsters

• The overrated Frenchman

Jul 22, 2016 at 10:30 AM

Jib@24. I like the bit where he’s in the gym with the kids. You can just make out one of them saying in Spanish, “do it like Senor Colback!” And he takes the ball to the centre circle, and hits it slowly sideways, along the centre line. Very good.

• jimmysmith

Jul 22, 2016 at 10:35 AM

Munster, Real world football? I simply have been saying we should keep them, and all our better players, ideally by convincing them to stay, but even if it meant holding them to their contracts, as Utd did with De Gea, for example, if we couldn’t adequately replace them. Rafa has always maintained we didn’t need to sell.

And these glaring weaknesses. Where exactly?

• jimmysmith

Jul 22, 2016 at 10:44 AM

Toonrich, do you think losing our better players will help us go straight back up? Our squad last season was epl standard. It had a few holes in it, low morale, and was poorly managed, but it still had plenty of quality. Rafa would have had it top half, the last six games indicates as much. Injuries didn’t help either.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Jul 22, 2016 at 10:44 AM

Bambams
    We could/should have a midfield maestro to find the pass in Shelvey if he sorts his heed oot – got the ability i.e. West Ham game

• Slank

Jul 22, 2016 at 10:52 AM

Bambams

‘… we still need a midfield maestro to find that ‘pass’..’

Isn’t that Shelvey ?

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Jul 22, 2016 at 10:53 AM

According to reports from Team Talk, Norwich City are leading Aston Villa and Newcastle United in the transfer race to sign Fulham striker Ross McCormack.

The Scotland international is the most proven striker in the Championship, amassing 116 goals in 303 appearances throughout spells with Cardiff City, Leeds United and the Cottagers.

• Mister Tuff

Jul 22, 2016 at 10:54 AM

Jib Jibberish you posted earlier -ref Sissoko and Gini – about turning up at Fulham on 6th August.

Why would they have turned up then when the game is on Friday 5th August -moved re TV.