The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Wijnaldum Gone – Still One To Go

10:27 pm, Friday, July 22nd, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 16 Comments

Gini Wijnaldum has been signed by Liverpool FC with the club announcing it on the web-site  earlier tonight.

Gini has been in  Liverpool today passing his medical today and agreeing terms as Newcastle have confirmed his move to Liverpool for an undisclosed fee, but the fee is thought to be around £25M.

Gini Wijnaldum – gone

This is what Managing Director Lee Charnley has said about the deal:

“We made it very clear at the beginning of the summer that we had no need to sell for financial reasons, despite relegation, and would only consider selling a player if it was in the best interests of the Club and the team,”

“After discussions with Rafa it was felt that this particular deal was one such circumstance and would be in the best interests of both parties.”

“Gini leaves with our very best wishes for his future career.”

Notice the Lee went out of his way to say Rafa had OKd this deal.

And in an Instagram message this is what Gini Wijnaldum has said:

“With all my heart I want to thank every Newcastle fan for the support love and respect you showed me whilst at your great Club.”

“I can understand some of you will be upset with me for leaving.” “I promise you though I did give my all for you.”

“It does not sit well with me that we were relegated and I say sorry again for that.”

“What I do know is that in Rafa Benitez the Club has a World Class Manager who I am confident will return you to The Premier League.”

“I must also say a very big big thank you to the Board of the Club, they gave me my chance in The Premier League.”

“The process of leaving a club who didn’t need to sell me can be difficult, however the Club have been very understanding in allowing me to join Liverpool.”

“Playing for your Club Newcastle has made me a stronger person and has educated me as a footballer.”

“I take with me special memories of you the fans, the Club and the City.”

“My family and I thank you for making us so welcome and we wish nothing but love and success for you.”

Now it’s almost certain that Moussa Sissoko – another wantaway player at Newcastle – will also be leaving Newcastle and that could come quite soon and even before Moussa is due to report back to training on August 1st – which is a week on Monday.

We are sorry to see Gini leave and he ended up playing 40 games for us with 11 goals and 5 assists.

Matz Sels£4.5MKAA Gent
Jamie SterryLoan - JanuaryCoventry City
Haris VuckicLoan - JanuaryBradford City
Sammy AmeobiLoan - JanuaryBolton Wanderers
Moussa Sissoko£30MTottenham Hotspur
Transfer Fees Out£85.5M
Net Spend-£31M

Tags: Financials · Georginio Wijnaldum · Moussa Sissoko · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

16 responses so far ↓

• 1 Belfast // Jul 22, 2016 at 10:29 PM

Sissoko next! Preferably asap.

• 2 Tsunki // Jul 22, 2016 at 10:29 PM

One to go you reckon, Ed? Hmmm. We will see. We will see.

• 3 NUFCPaul // Jul 22, 2016 at 10:32 PM

Wish we could have seen a bit more effort from him me, especially in those vital away games, but at least he left with a bit of dignity, unlike a certain other player. Can’t wait to see what Sissoko says when he jumps ship!

• 4 jimmysmith // Jul 22, 2016 at 10:36 PM

Certainly that’s a very good move for him and his career, and so it’s hard in good conscience for the club to veto the deal. It makes the Sissoko situation more problematic though, because we probably can not afford to lose both. It might go off between player and club. But out of the two, Sissoko’s experience and sheer physicality probably make him the better option to want to keep. I expect the club to offer him possibly vastly better terms to stay.

• 5 FollowFollow // Jul 22, 2016 at 10:36 PM

We needed his goals next season. He just needed to learn to impose himself and his first year in the prem will have helped with that.

• 6 welshgeordie9 // Jul 22, 2016 at 10:40 PM

Well at least he left a message for all toon fans i suppose, still think he won’t play many games for them though, another talented player on the bench me thinks.

• 7 OneAlanShearer // Jul 22, 2016 at 10:41 PM

If sissoko goes it will not surprise me but we seriously need to invest in creative players and a top goal scorer. Not forgetting left back, anot her creative mid fielder and possibly an attacking left winger

• 8 goommy // Jul 22, 2016 at 10:48 PM

Next is Sissoko for 35M. A very nice business. We just need one more LB and CM so we’re good to go.

• 9 JP...from The Rock // Jul 22, 2016 at 10:49 PM

Sad to see Gini go. A class act and very talented proffessional. He is what we wish Sissoko would be but isn’t. We are left with the player I wanted us to get rid of in Sissoko. We have just lost a very good creative midfield player and goalscorer. We aren’t going to find it easy to replace the threat that he gave us. I hope Raffa has a few tricks under his sleeve, as we need a few rabbits popping out of somewhere.

• 10 Keith in France // Jul 22, 2016 at 10:57 PM

Nice words from Gini but what a load of crap.
    He went to Liverpool because of the money – these players are mercenaries.
    If he had any morales he would have stayed and fought to get us back to the PL .
    Players like him create these soundbites constructed by the club’s PR dept to make them sound as if they care .
    Wouldn’t it be great if a player said – look I was one of the team that got us in the crap so I am gong to fight to get us out of it – pigs would fly !

• 11 SUTTY1978 // Jul 22, 2016 at 11:00 PM

So, looks like the ambitions haven’t changed, still aiming for tenth, just in a different league.

• 12 jimmysmith // Jul 22, 2016 at 11:06 PM

It’s rarely even remotely fair to blame individual players for the shortcomings of an entire club, over an entire season, and in our case, 3.

• 13 geordie157 // Jul 22, 2016 at 11:07 PM

Can we test Norwich for Robbie Brady, think him on the left with Ritchie would be a great combination on the wings, adds goals and assists plus he tracks back well.

Victor Moses needs a fresh start and could be worth a look.

Van Ginkel possibly could be option but more likely as a loan signing

• 14 ashleysmate // Jul 22, 2016 at 11:40 PM

Exactly… don’t hold your breath
    It was only a couple of month ago he was kissing the nufc badge on his shirt….these foreigners are softer than a snakes belly when the heat is on….what a load of crap

• 15 ashleysmate // Jul 22, 2016 at 11:43 PM

This was in response to Keith in France blog…well said

• 16 posada // Jul 23, 2016 at 9:45 AM

Good luck to him. He was not a burden to the club like Obertan and Co.
    He played well enough to put his value up from 14 to 25 Million so fair enough.
    For all his qualities I’m not sure he fits into any particular position well.
    Unless you give him the old free role. Most teams don’t play that position any more.
    Last season we had about 5 that fancied it.

previous post: Has Rafa Made An Approach For This England U-21 Midfielder?

next post: Will Rafa Now Try To Get This Prolific Goalscorer to Newcastle?